Install of BP-BGT-NEJ (latest WeiDU)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 -Xerxandi-

-Xerxandi-

Posted 20 March 2006 - 05:14 AM

0) Full BGII SOA+TOB+26498_patch (and BG1+ToTSC+5512_patch if installing BGT)
1) BD-WeiDU 1.5 or G3 Fixpack
2) NEJ2v42 + NEJ2v602 patch, and NEJ2 biffer if using BP-weidu
3) SoS v1.10/TDD v1.10/CtB v1.7 - in any order
4) TS-BP v6.04.01
5) BGT-WeiDU v1.00, and NeJ2-BGT compat patch if using both NEJ2 and BGT
6) Install ANY other mods you want here (hope they're truly WeiDU and don't ruin anything).
7) BP v1.75 Public BETA
8) G3 Tweaks and/or Virtue (for best results)
9) Worldmap, latest version
10) If you want you may activate preferable GUI at this point - just run GUI-Switcher.

Thanks seanas for posting the sticky about install order....
A quick question, that I think may be more suitable here than over at the NEJ forums, seeing that what I'm trying to check is the above install (even though I've never done NEJ in any form before - but read all the docs):

I get up to completing step 2 above, then just to check NEJ was working I ran BGII and started a new game.. to see if NEJ worked, but I get a message when I try to go through the portal north of the starting room, something like "you need a special item to pass through this portal" (don't have exact wording). But as I remember this was the default message in the BGII original...

My horrible suspicion is that NEJ still might not compatible with BD-Weidu as Vlad recently said in the NEJ forums, though I don't know.

Should NEJ start immediately after the beginning of SOA if I go straight to that portal or do I need to do something in Irenicus' dungeon first?

#2 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 05:30 AM

NEJ2 is compatible with a fullBP-BGT install, as long as you:
1. alter the NE2 tp2 to remove the check for baldurdash (open Setup-NE2.tp2 with an editor of yr choice, and remove the line "REQUIRE_FILE ~override/Spell.ids~ ~Please install the Baldurdash fixpack before installation of this mod.~")
2. use the NEJ-BGT compatibilty modification
3. use the NEJ2 auto biffer (actually, this step isn't essential, i'd jsut recommend it).

as for why you can't get thru the portal, i'm not entirely sure at the moment: is NEJ2 present in yr weidu.log?

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#3 horred the plague

horred the plague

Scourge of the Seven Seas

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:21 AM

NEJ2 is compatible with a fullBP-BGT install, as long as you:
1. alter the NE2 tp2 to remove the check for baldurdash (open Setup-NE2.tp2 with an editor of yr choice, and remove the line "REQUIRE_FILE ~override/Spell.ids~ ~Please install the Baldurdash fixpack before installation of this mod.~")
2. use the NEJ-BGT compatibilty modification
3. use the NEJ2 auto biffer (actually, this step isn't essential, i'd jsut recommend it).

as for why you can't get thru the portal, i'm not entirely sure at the moment: is NEJ2 present in yr weidu.log?

It was KD himself, a while back, that told me to put BD-weidu after NeJ2. I cannot see how it would have messed it up, in this way--even by going first.

I put it after, and about a dozen or so mods not on that list---and my "TELE2IWD" script in the jail portal is intact.

Just double-checked, absolutely no referrence to AR0602 in BD-ToB.tp2 file.

I also disagree with the order on that list, and I again back the one I gave in the BP forums. I derived it from studying the tp2 files, and how they relate to BGT-weidu. Also, the list of "after BP" mods is growing.

#4 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:30 AM

I also disagree with the order on that list, and I again back the one I gave in the BP forums. I derived it from studying the tp2 files, and how they relate to BGT-weidu. Also, the list of "after BP" mods is growing.

no worries: it's a work in progress. i figured some advice was better than none :P you've got moderators powers: edit the sticky as necessary until we get a finalised version, and then we can get Seb to make it an announcement.

on the location of BD in the install process: the list is largely plagiarised from KD's install order post in the CtB forums - or are you saying that NEJ2 should go in step 1a, between the full install and BD?

Edited by seanas, 20 March 2006 - 07:35 AM.

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#5 dragonian

dragonian
  • Validating
  • 503 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:48 AM

Yes thats what Horred is saying :)
BD should go after NeJ.

#6 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 02:30 PM

I don't believe that changes anything. In my experience, NeJ2 Part 1 doesn't install because it can't find CLASS.IDS in the override directory. It is so easy to skip straight over that component without even knowing whether you installed it or not. Check your WeiDU.log, in any case. Installing BD-WeiDU before or after NeJ2 and having this component be skipped will both cause the 'IWD' portion of the game to be missed entirely.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#7 -Xerxandi-

-Xerxandi-

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:56 PM

Well I've tried three different installs of NEJ42b now over a clean patched install.

1st, as I described above, installing BD-WeiDU before NEJ...
2nd, trying to install NEJ before BD-Weidu...
3rd, Installing Non-WeiDU BD, then NEJ - and that worked fine (I COULD enter the portal)...

For both the first and second installs I removed that line from the tp2, but during those installs I get Failure("resource [SIMEJ.DLG] not found for 'APPEND'"), rolling back to previous version...

All times NEJ components were listed in my WeiDU log, though obviously on the first two installs not all components were listed because of that failure. I also tried installing without the biffer but got the same error.

So, unless mayhaps I have done something extremely silly, it would seem that NEJ is only compatible with NON-WeiDU BD, contrary to a few recent posts.

I wonder what would happen if I installed the NON-WeiDU BD, then NEJ, then BD-WeiDU? Would that have obvious dire concequences?

If this is a no-no then I guess it looks like NEJ should not be installed with BD-Weidu at all? Thanks.

#8 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:08 PM

Well I've tried three different installs of NEJ42b now over a clean patched install.

1st, as I described above, installing BD-WeiDU before NEJ...
2nd, trying to install NEJ before BD-Weidu...
3rd, Installing Non-WeiDU BD, then NEJ - and that worked fine (I COULD enter the portal)...

For both the first and second installs I removed that line from the tp2, but during those installs I get Failure("resource [SIMEJ.DLG] not found for 'APPEND'"), rolling back to previous version...

All times NEJ components were listed in my WeiDU log, though obviously on the first two installs not all components were listed because of that failure. I also tried installing without the biffer but got the same error.

So, unless mayhaps I have done something extremely silly, it would seem that NEJ is only compatible with NON-WeiDU BD, contrary to a few recent posts.

I wonder what would happen if I installed the NON-WeiDU BD, then NEJ, then BD-WeiDU? Would that have obvious dire concequences?

If this is a no-no then I guess it looks like NEJ should not be installed with BD-Weidu at all? Thanks.

We believe you, when you say that "the installer told you" this didn't work. What we don't believe is that the way we are describing to install "doesn't work in-game", where it actually matters. ;) We think our way will work just fine, and I've personally tested it.

But make your own call,whatever you are comfortable. I'm really of the opinion that it doesn't matter how you do it, just get baldurdash in there somehow.

#9 -Xerxandi-

-Xerxandi-

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:13 PM

We believe you, when you say that "the installer told you" this didn't work. What we don't believe is that the way we are describing to install "doesn't work in-game", where it actually matters. ;) We think our way will work just fine, and I've personally tested it.

Well, I installed again, because I believe you :P Anyway all I did differently this time is delete ALL the following lines from Setup-NE2.tp2:

REQUIRE_FILE ~Data/25Dialog.bif~ ~Please install "Throne Of Bhaal" and the official ToB patch before installation of this mod.~
REQUIRE_FILE ~override/Animate.ids~ ~Please install the official ToB patch before installation of this mod.~
REQUIRE_FILE ~override/MusicList.ids~ ~Please install the official ToB patch before installation of this mod.~
REQUIRE_FILE ~override/CLASS.ids~ ~Please install the official ToB patch before installation of this mod.~
REQUIRE_FILE ~override/AreaType.ids~ ~Please install the official ToB patch before installation of this mod.~
REQUIRE_FILE ~override/Spell.ids~ ~Please install the Baldurdash fixpack before installation of this mod.~

Previously I had only commented out that last line.

I don't know what the problem was, but the install went beautifully this time with hardly a complaint. I'm sorry for wasting your time on this. I'm still scratching my head about why it didn't work the first time, but all that matters is that it now "works in game" - and it does! :)

#10 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:26 PM

Anyway all I did differently this time is delete ALL the following lines from Setup-NE2.tp2...the install went beautifully this time with hardly a complaint.

I've had those lines deleted since the moment I discovered them! :lol:

I'm sorry for wasting your time on this. I'm still scratching my head about why it didn't work the first time, but all that matters is that it now "works in game" - and it does! :)

No sweat; glad it worked out for you! Enjoy... :cheers:

#11 -Xerxandi-

-Xerxandi-

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:00 PM

No sweat; glad it worked out for you!

Ah well, I don't know... that all depends on how bad the conflicts between NEJ and CtB/SOS/TDD/TS are. If I'll be getting any enjoyment from the game itself it will either be through a stable enough install - or by laughing at the Dragon with a Squirrel animation just in time before the game crashes :wacko:

A "sanctioned" version of this really big monster install seems so tantalizingly close. :D

#12 Golden Thief

Golden Thief
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 11:45 AM

This may be for naught but I did it anyway.

Since it seemed there have been post about failed NEJ installs I thought I would try and duplicate these errors and see what could be done to help find a better solution then total reinstall of SoA-ToB and the NEJ.

The Official install is as follows
SoA - Full
Tob - Full
ToB official patch
Balderdash 112

Then you are to unpack NEJ in to the SOA folder and run setupNEJ. This can be in the orginal install folder or in a multi-install folder. Gamers post that after doing this they immediately have gotten install errors, this is why I tried what I did. And I felt like the most unsuccessful crasher ever.

After 4 hours on two computers one Athlon and the other a Pentium, I was unable to produce a single error other then a repeated "Please install Official TOB patch". So in order to try to produce an installation error. I deleted the required file lines and removed Balderdash. I aborted the install in mid cycle, I removed weidu.log so it would install over files. I even did the unthinkable I missused horrid's autobiffer. I did everthing short of altering needed code. Everything would uninstall and reinstall without giving me any errors. I even had the game biffed with NEJ files in the overrride. I even started the games made new characters and exited out the north portal to make sure that it was installed.

Then I stated thinking hey what version of weidu does the orignal install have and could that be more of the problem because I was using weidu 190 and 191.

Now after 2 hours on two computers crashing the install by aborting in mid cycle using the orginal weidu which is 185 I can produce error after error. Now here is the thing when I get these errors and the try to reinstall and it will not, each time I update to weidu 191 it will re-install without a problem.

So a suggestion set up your fresh install as directed. Immediately do not pass go but update the weidu installer to 191 then proceed. If and only if you have done this correctly and you get the error "Please install TOB UPdate".
Open the TP2 file and delete the required file checks or do this first anyway. For some reason I think weidu 191 doesn't like the way they are listed is all I can gather about that.

I know since we all have different makes of computers this might not work but I would like to know if at any time someone does try this if it works or not for them?

Because if it is as simple as having used an old version of weidu then when we make a mega install we should make sure every installer has been updated.

Cheers :cheers:

#13 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 11:16 PM

This may be for naught but I did it anyway.

Since it seemed there have been post about failed NEJ installs I thought I would try and duplicate these errors and see what could be done to help find a better solution then total reinstall of SoA-ToB and the NEJ.

The Official install is as follows
SoA - Full
Tob - Full
ToB official patch
Balderdash 112

Then you are to unpack NEJ in to the SOA folder and run setupNEJ. This can be in the orginal install folder or in a multi-install folder. Gamers post that after doing this they immediately have gotten install errors, this is why I tried what I did. And I felt like the most unsuccessful crasher ever.

After 4 hours on two computers one Athlon and the other a Pentium, I was unable to produce a single error other then a repeated "Please install Official TOB patch". So in order to try to produce an installation error. I deleted the required file lines and removed Balderdash. I aborted the install in mid cycle, I removed weidu.log so it would install over files. I even did the unthinkable I missused horrid's autobiffer. I did everthing short of altering needed code. Everything would uninstall and reinstall without giving me any errors. I even had the game biffed with NEJ files in the overrride. I even started the games made new characters and exited out the north portal to make sure that it was installed.

Then I stated thinking hey what version of weidu does the orignal install have and could that be more of the problem because I was using weidu 190 and 191.

Now after 2 hours on two computers crashing the install by aborting in mid cycle using the orginal weidu which is 185 I can produce error after error. Now here is the thing when I get these errors and the try to reinstall and it will not, each time I update to weidu 191 it will re-install without a problem.

So a suggestion set up your fresh install as directed. Immediately do not pass go but update the weidu installer to 191 then proceed. If and only if you have done this correctly and you get the error "Please install TOB UPdate".
Open the TP2 file and delete the required file checks or do this first anyway. For some reason I think weidu 191 doesn't like the way they are listed is all I can gather about that.

I know since we all have different makes of computers this might not work but I would like to know if at any time someone does try this if it works or not for them?

Because if it is as simple as having used an old version of weidu then when we make a mega install we should make sure every installer has been updated.

Cheers :cheers:

Golden Thief, for those of us who haven't done it before, what are the steps to update our weidu files to the latest version? Besides waiting for a executable to come out that is written with it that automatically queries all your other files when your run it? TIA

It takes a village...

#14 Golden Thief

Golden Thief
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:52 AM

The method that I use is after I had downloaded the weidu191 package is copy the weidu for it to the folder that I am making whatever combination install. I have every mod I am going to install and then whatever mod I am going to install first. Like Setup-NEJ2.exe is going to be the first mod, I delete it and rename weidu.exe to Setup-NEJ2.exe and then it automatically updates each of the installers thus everyone will then be using the latest Weidu.
If you just try running weidu as weidu it doesn't do it that is why I change its name.

Another way is to first run start another mod that you know for sure is has the latest weidu and it then should update all of them, but then instead of installing that mod you just quit and then go to the first one you want to install in you list.
I just like the first way then I know I have the latest.

#15 Kamui2040

Kamui2040
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:22 AM

there is another way but it would be more complicated.
run weidu.exe and use the help function to find out which function is used to update the other files but the above one ist the fastest and simplest one.
i would give you detailed information how it actually works but i'm not on my pc right now and don't have weidu here.

#16 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:51 AM

there is another way but it would be more complicated.
run weidu.exe and use the help function to find out which function is used to update the other files but the above one ist the fastest and simplest one.
i would give you detailed information how it actually works but i'm not on my pc right now and don't have weidu here.

You can type this from commandline:

weidu --update-all

as well. ;)

#17 Kamui2040

Kamui2040
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 06:42 AM

this was what i meant above :P, my english is starting to suck.