Photo

3 questions about manually tweaking game

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kimmel

kimmel
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:35 AM

Hi all--I've been reading posts here for ages, but this is my first post... I hope it will make sense!

I'm thinking about starting a heavily modded game in the semi-near future, and I've been thinking about how to configure it.

1. There do not seem to be that many mods for spells (although the AD pack from Sorc Place looks good) but I think the spell system is one of the main things that makes the BG series so tactically interesting. So I want to install TDD Weidu, for KD's fixed spells (I plan to largely ignore the quests). Having played through TDD once before, though (some years ago), I know there are a number of spells I am not interested in. Using Shadowkeeper I made a list of all the TDD 1.10 spells, and (contingent on your advice) I thought I would delete the spells I do not want from the tp2, so that they are not installed. Would this create unforseen problems? I'm especially wondering whether, if I install BP, enemy mages/priests will attempt to use TDD spells that I might have deleted.

2. I'm going to install a bunch of NPC mods, and have taken a brief look at some of them. While they have many virtues, I don't always like the voicing. Is there a way to delete just the voicing sound files? I'm thinking here of, eg, the Saerileth mod, which I think I might install largely for the "3rd way" to Spellhold (and yes I know there is a "Third Way" mod under construction, but I don't know when it will be done).

3. Although Tutu looks great, and continues to improve, I think I'm going to use BGT the next time I start a game, because it also looks great, and has a number of unique features I value. But I'd really like to be able to choose more of the NPC kits than currently available BGT-friendly tweaks allow. If I figure out how to use NI can I just edit these kits at the very start of the game by looking at cre files or some such?

Thanks for whatever replies I get, and to Horred, Asc 64, KD, Bigg, and the many others (sorry, it would be tedious to list you all!) who have been doing amazinng things modding BG.

#2 horred the plague

horred the plague

Scourge of the Seven Seas

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 11:38 PM

1) They very well could; I have a special set of scripts that are installed if BP detects TDD. So, you might get a slieu of parse errors when installing BP. But, by messing with things--you assume the risk/responsibility.

2) ....

3) If you learn how to mod, just about anything is "possible". I think classic BP was good enough proof of that. Note that I did not say "easy". You'll be editting more than CRE files to pull it off. Good luck, but don't forget----"you break it, you buy it! :angry:" ( :lol: )

#3 kimmel

kimmel
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:33 AM

Well, as I expected, I guess...

Thanks Horred!