Swearing in the FR

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Bookwyrme

Bookwyrme
  • Modder
  • 5804 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 01:54 PM

How, with, and by what to the people of the FR swear?

The only example I can think of right now is BG2's "Helm's Beard!" What else is used? Is there a pattern?

Mods: <a data-cke-saved-href="http://www.shsforums...-auroras-shoes/">Aurora's Shoes (released),

#2 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 02:07 PM

"By the Bitch Queen's Breath" is one. "By Moradin's Hammer" another. From the examples I recall, the god's seem to be a part of the most of the swearing done in the realms.
"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#3 Delight

Delight
  • 660 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 04:08 AM

I recall reading somewhere that a combination of sexual/genital element and godly one is also quite popular.

#4 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 07:23 AM

Well... here's some more.

"By the Nine Hells"
"To the Nine Hells with you [Insert name here]"
"By the Abyss"

#5 Bookwyrme

Bookwyrme
  • Modder
  • 5804 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 09:27 AM

So is the "god + bodypart" a matter of using body parts the god is actually famous for, or is it more or less randomly generated?

Mods: <a data-cke-saved-href="http://www.shsforums...-auroras-shoes/">Aurora's Shoes (released),

#6 Delight

Delight
  • 660 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 09:53 AM

Well, I recall Danilo Thann using "Beshaba's breasts", so it's a combined effect of body part associated with sex and god :) .
Also words like spear, dagger or sword are often used as phallic symbols ;) .

#7 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 10:51 AM

"By the Bitch Queen's Breath" is one. "By Moradin's Hammer" another.

You forget "By Clangeddin's twinaxes" and "By icy breath of Auril" ;)

So is the "god + bodypart" a matter of using body parts the god is actually famous for, or is it more or less randomly generated?

Both, I believe. I'm re-reading Fritz Leiber's "Fafhrd & Grey Mouser" cycle ATM, and it has (although it's not quite FR :)) plenty of swearing by gods' main attributes as well as by their random bodyparts :D

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#8 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 12:06 PM

Heh, I remember "By Sune's boobies!" from the original Baldur's Gate.

I know I've seen "bloody" a few times in Baldur's Gate, and I think I've seen "hells" used more or less the way "hell" is in our culture ("what in the hells?" etc.)...

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#9 khay

khay

Swords to Rust, Hearts to Dust

• Modder
  • 1719 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 12:21 AM

I personally always thought using 'hell' isn`t really feasible in the FR, due to the existence of more than one hell. Somehow saying 'hells' instead of 'hell' sounds a lot more fitting. Although maybe it`s just me. :P

#10 Ebon

Ebon
  • 323 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 10:45 AM

more than one hell

HMM? More hells? Cool! They also look different to eachother? But... why nine? WOOW, someone could do a game with that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Ebon, 13 June 2006 - 10:46 AM.

#11 -Slid Motherfucking Mang0-

-Slid Motherfucking Mang0-

Posted 13 June 2006 - 11:05 AM

while were on the subject id like to know if "homeboyz" is an appropriate term for fr???

#12 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 01:35 PM

The only person I can envision using it is Cespenar.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#13 khay

khay

Swords to Rust, Hearts to Dust

• Modder
  • 1719 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 02:31 PM

more than one hell

HMM? More hells? Cool! They also look different to eachother? But... why nine? WOOW, someone could do a game with that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, they look quite different from each other. :)

#14 Jolyth

Jolyth

Feather Boa Wielding Dominatrix

• 2016 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 07:05 PM

Don't forget "By Valkur's Strapping Buttocks!!" :)

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOOHOO! What a Ride!

Some people are like slinkies. They are not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs!!

Dyslexia of Borg: Your ass will be laminated

Solaufein Flirt Pack

3doctors1.gif

#15 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 01:31 PM

Sylvanus' armpits. :-P

Edited by jester, 15 June 2006 - 01:31 PM.

"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#16 Jazhara7

Jazhara7
  • 715 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:09 AM

more than one hell

Yes, they look quite different from each other. :)

And I always get the feeling that they copied quite a lot from The Divine Comedy (yes, despite the name it's about the layers of hell) by Dante Alighieri, especially who ends up where.

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Edited by Jazhara7, 26 April 2007 - 06:10 AM.

Hey, are you hungry?

I Hate Elminster!
(proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#17 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 05:09 AM

In 1st edition D&D, the planes of evil were even more similar to Christian mythology. They changed them a bit for 2E in an attempt to appease the more zealous Christians.

Edited by NiGHTMARE, 28 April 2007 - 05:13 AM.

#18 Bardess

Bardess

the Eternal Noob

• Modder
  • 483 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 01:24 AM

Yup, there are exactly nine circles of hell in Dante Alighieri's drama. Maybe they had a Dante in FR as well :rolleyes:

This is an interesting thread. In some fanfiction, though, I've read very ordinary and vulgar swearing (because the character in question doesn't worship gods, maybe doesn't even believe in them).

"Farewell, Charname, and may Irenicus get you!"

Mazzy to Edwin:
"When science finally locates the center of the planes, I'm sure you'll be taken aback to find that you're not it."

- Author of lil one-day Moddie fox. -

#19 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 08:11 AM

Several FR novels have featured oaths that dosn't invoke a particular god, though some are used only by people living in a certain region or who belong to a particular profession. Examples include "hellfire!", "dark!" or "dark and empty!", "bind me!", "whoreson!", and "knave!"

Edited by NiGHTMARE, 12 May 2007 - 08:12 AM.