Say it aint so

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 05:08 PM

Hello all,

Just finished a Bp massive install. Took about 8 hours, between reading readmes,install order,and forums, and two headaches. I think I still managed to fubar the install. :o Started the game and played for a while, and have 2 problems.
In Irenicus dungeon Ilyich does a 'duergar transformation' into a mouse or something when he is near death and 'escapes into a mousehole in the wall'(thats the text message anyway) I cannot find the bugger anywhere. The other duergar turned into giants too(again duergar transformation), but were killed without running. I read the readmes but can't find what mod this is, and where is that rat with the acorns and mail of the dead. I definitely didn't install tactics ilyich. The only thing I got from tactics was Improved Sahuagin,anti-paladin kit, imp north forest,imp druid grove,imp fire giants.
Then I couldn't leave the level - even with the portal key, so I went through the Nej portal. Once in Easthaven Hrothgar "has nothing to say to you" and I can't start quest. The other characters Dar and the girl in the temple are the same too.
The game runs smooth and I don't see any text errors or crashes, but I am stuck. Please tell me I can fix this without reinstalling. I followed the install directions by the Seanas post.

Install:just BG2,mods, and BP(no BGT)
0)BG2,tob,patch
1)BP weidu 1.5
2)Nej2v42 + Nej2v602patch (I couln't get nejbiffer to work, but rest installed ok)
3)SOS1.1 weidu/TDD1.1 weidu
4)TS-BP weidu 6.04.02
5)skipped (BGT not installed)
6)other weidu mods...
1a)Deeper Shadows of Amn 2.2 (without gnome, crypt king, kanjaxx- bp has already)
2a)Selune armory
3a)Banter Pack v6
4a)Hellion kit v3
5a)COM encounters v101
6a)Beyond the Law
7a)Unfinished Business v15
8a)Npc Flirt v101
9a)Dingo Quest pack v23 (actually put after BP, at 24a)
10a)Kelsey v21
11a)Kelsey Tob v22
12a)Keto v2
13a)Tashia v205g
14a)Solafein v106
15a)Item upgrade v32
16a)Underrepr Items v5
17a)Cespy audio v1
18a)Tactics v23 partial (only improved sahuagin, anti paladin kit, north forest, Imp druid grove, Imp fire giants)
19a)FR-ROV v3
20a)Planar Sphere v2.2
21a)Munchmod v2.6 (man am I tired of typing this)
22a)BP v176 beta
23a)Ease of use v32 partial (minus what seanas/salk told not to install)
24a)DO Quest pack v23
25a)BGT 4wmv6 (worldmap v5? according to seanas directions)

=trouble. Where did I go wrong?

#2 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 06:55 PM

In Irenicus dungeon Ilyich does a 'duergar transformation' into a mouse or something when he is near death and 'escapes into a mousehole in the wall'(thats the text message anyway) I cannot find the bugger anywhere. The other duergar turned into giants too(again duergar transformation), but were killed without running.

No bug here, you will find him sometime in the future.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#3 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 07:46 PM

Thanks, that means I'm halfway there. How about those silent npcs in NEJ? Checked the forums over on Vlads place, and found a post from a year or two ago with a similar problem. Vlad said it was a bad install, but I can't see where I messed up the install.
I can't seem to add my weidu log to the post (keep getting a not allowed message)

#4 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 08:31 PM

Just copy it and paste into a message.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#5 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 08:49 PM

I see other people have a weidu.txt listed. Mine is a weidu.log and I can't cut and paste or rename. Its a little file in the bg directory with tiny microsoft logo(like a tiny paper), right next to baldur.log. Am I missing something or just dimwitted.

Attached File  WeiDU.txt   9.5K   173 downloads

Edited by maximus2001, 15 June 2006 - 09:04 PM.

#6 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 08:53 PM

Open the weidu.log file with notepad and then copy what you see and then paste it to an open window here.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#7 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 11:40 PM

I don't see '~SETUP-NEJ2V602.TP2~ #0 #0 // Never Ending Journey v6.02 (cummulative patch)' I think you skipped it. :(

And I see you only installed Part 1 of NeJ2

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#8 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 12:44 AM

I don't see '~SETUP-NEJ2V602.TP2~ #0 #0 // Never Ending Journey v6.02 (cummulative patch)' I think you skipped it. :(

And I see you only installed Part 1 of NeJ2

I thought I might have missed something but nej patch is in there. When I ran Nej2 v602 I thought it installed nej1 and nej2. If that is the problem though do I have to reinstall everything?

Attached File  Setup_NeJ2v602.tp2   57.13K   310 downloads

#9 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 12:54 AM

Chev's right: parts of NEJ havent been installed, and so yr getting those dialogue errors. it should be possible to reinstall NEJ - first uninstall the patch, then uninstall NEJ2, then reinstall both. you'll need ot start a new game, but you shouldnt need to reinstall the whole thng.

but the question to be answered first is: why did NEJ2 only install part of itself? can you post the debug files that weidu automatically generates? they should be called SETUP-NEJ2.DEBUG and SETUP-NEJ2V602.DEBUG. you can open them using notepad - and you might need to save them as .txt files to attach to the forum. we might be able ot work out why NEJ2 didnt install properly once we've seen the debug file.

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#10 wellunhappy

wellunhappy
  • 329 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 03:33 AM

Hello all,

Just finished a Bp massive install. Took about 8 hours, between reading readmes,install order,and forums, and two headaches. I think I still managed to fubar the install. :o Started the game and played for a while, and have 2 problems.
In Irenicus dungeon Ilyich does a 'duergar transformation' into a mouse or something when he is near death and 'escapes into a mousehole in the wall'(thats the text message anyway) I cannot find the bugger anywhere. The other duergar turned into giants too(again duergar transformation), but were killed without running. I read the readmes but can't find what mod this is, and where is that rat with the acorns and mail of the dead. I definitely didn't install tactics ilyich. The only thing I got from tactics was Improved Sahuagin,anti-paladin kit, imp north forest,imp druid grove,imp fire giants.
Then I couldn't leave the level - even with the portal key, so I went through the Nej portal. Once in Easthaven Hrothgar "has nothing to say to you" and I can't start quest. The other characters Dar and the girl in the temple are the same too.
The game runs smooth and I don't see any text errors or crashes, but I am stuck. Please tell me I can fix this without reinstalling. I followed the install directions by the Seanas post.

0)BG2,tob,patch
1)BP weidu 1.5
2)Nej2v42 + Nej2v602patch (I couln't get nejbiffer to work, but rest installed ok)
4)TS-BP weidu 6.04.02
6)other weidu mods...
1a)Deeper Shadows of Amn 2.2 (without gnome, crypt king, kanjaxx- bp has already)
2a)Selune armory
3a)Banter Pack v6
4a)Hellion kit v3
5a)COM encounters v101
6a)Beyond the Law
8a)Npc Flirt v101
10a)Kelsey v21
11a)Kelsey Tob v22
12a)Keto v2
13a)Tashia v205g
14a)Solafein v106
15a)Item upgrade v32
16a)Underrepr Items v5
17a)Cespy audio v1
18a)Tactics v23 partial (only improved sahuagin, anti paladin kit, north forest, Imp druid grove, Imp fire giants)
19a)FR-ROV v3
20a)Planar Sphere v2.2
22a)BP v176 beta
24a)DO Quest pack v23

I could be wrong it has been known and i do have a very bad hangover which is affecting my ability to think straight, but the Ilyich rat thing is a BP component and if you install NEJ you have a problem in getting the acorns and mail because he runs onto the second dungeon level which you can't access until you return from NEJ land. Obviously, your NEJ is bad looking at your log and post. your biffer not working is curious. the biffer is run before NEJ which when its finished biffing then ask you if you want to install. did you do it in the correct order its not in the read me. anyway hope this helps. B)

oops sorry for doble post server timed out and i posted again, can some admin type delete one if there passing

Edited by wellunhappy, 16 June 2006 - 03:54 AM.

#11 wellunhappy

wellunhappy
  • 329 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 03:35 AM

Hello all,

0)BG2,tob,patch
1)BP weidu 1.5
4)TS-BP weidu 6.04.02
6)other weidu mods...
2a)Selune armory
3a)Banter Pack v6
4a)Hellion kit v3
5a)COM encounters v101
6a)Beyond the Law
8a)Npc Flirt v101
10a)Kelsey v21
11a)Kelsey Tob v22
12a)Keto v2
13a)Tashia v205g
14a)Solafein v106
15a)Item upgrade v32
16a)Underrepr Items v5
17a)Cespy audio v1
19a)FR-ROV v3
20a)Planar Sphere v2.2
22a)BP v176 beta
24a)DO Quest pack v23

I could be wrong it has been known and i do have a very bad hangover which is affecting my ability to think straight, but the Ilyich rat thing is a BP component and if you install NEJ you have a problem in getting the acorns and mail because he runs onto the second dungeon level which you can't access until you return from NEJ land. Obviously, your NEJ is bad looking at your log and post. your biffer not working is curious. the biffer is run before NEJ which when its finished biffing then ask you if you want to install. did you do it in the correct order its not in the read me. anyway hope this helps. B)

#12 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 09:20 AM

Thanks for the replies. Well, first the files:

Attached File  nej_setups.rar   62.59K   166 downloads I hope that worked. When I tried to put the regular files as attachement it said the files were too big. I don't know much about the debug, but when I checked it looks like install, uninstall, delete, roll back to previous install etc. all over the place.
As far as the biffer goes, I think I tried to run it first but it would open in that black weidu window, then blink and close. Then I installed nej2 + patch then biffer but it didn't seem like biffer did anything. (The same thing happened with g3 tweaks - opened, said error, and closed. Downloaded 3 times too, to be sure)

#13 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 04:33 AM

Thanks for the replies. Well, first the files:

Attached File  nej_setups.rar   62.59K   166 downloads I hope that worked. When I tried to put the regular files as attachement it said the files were too big. I don't know much about the debug, but when I checked it looks like install, uninstall, delete, roll back to previous install etc. all over the place.
As far as the biffer goes, I think I tried to run it first but it would open in that black weidu window, then blink and close. Then I installed nej2 + patch then biffer but it didn't seem like biffer did anything. (The same thing happened with g3 tweaks - opened, said error, and closed. Downloaded 3 times too, to be sure)

thanks for posting the debug files. the bad news is: yr install is stuffed. delete the whole lot and start again. the reason yr getting the errors in NEJ - silent NPCs etc - is because the first part of NEJ2 didnt install:

SETUP-BD-TOB.TP2  0  0 Installed 
SETUP-BD-TOB.TP2  0  1 Installed 
SETUP-NEJ2.TP2  0  1 Permanently_Uninstalled 
SETUP-NEJ2.TP2  0  2 Permanently_Uninstalled 
SETUP-NEJ2.TP2  0  3 Permanently_Uninstalled 
SETUP-NEJ2.TP2  0  4 Permanently_Uninstalled 
SETUP-NEJ2.TP2  0  5 Permanently_Uninstalled 
SETUP-NEJ2.TP2  0  6 Permanently_Uninstalled 
SETUP-NEJ2.TP2  0  8 Temporarily_Uninstalled 
SETUP-NEJ2.TP2  0  9 Temporarily_Uninstalled 
SETUP-NEJ2.TP2  0 10 Temporarily_Uninstalled 
SETUP-NEJ2.TP2  0  0 Temporarily_Uninstalled ~Never Ending Journey v4.2 - Part 1~
SETUP-NEJ2.TP2  0  1 Installed ~Continuous and Custom Kit Imoen~
SETUP-NEJ2.TP2  0  2 Installed ~Priest of Sylvanus (Druid) Kit and Improved Character Jaheira.~
SETUP-NEJ2.TP2  0  3 Installed ~Boo - Minsc?s Familiar~
SETUP-NEJ2.TP2  0  4 Installed ~Improved Nymph (Woodland Being) Script by Goeran Rimen~
SETUP-NEJ2.TP2  0  5 Installed ~Restored Twisted Rune Quest~
SETUP-NEJ2.TP2  0  6 Installed ~Dual Wielding Fix for Rogues by aVENGER~
ERROR: Failure("resource [SIMEJ.DLG] not found for 'APPEND'")
PLEASE email the file SETUP-NEJ2.DEBUG to Vlad & Larrienne
the first part didnt install cos it's choking on SIMEJ.DLG - and the reason why it's choking on SIMEJ.DLG is that you didnt edit the Setup-NEJ2.tp2 before running it (or didnt edit it correctly, which amounts to the same thing).

and yes, it's pretty crap that you have to manually edit .tp2 files to get this thing working, but the original mod authors want their work distributed in specific forms - as is their right - so you the user have to edit them yrself to make them work the way you want.

there are a couple of threads here and here describing the SIMEJ.DLG problem, and the solution - which is also posted in the installation sticky - is posted here. the reason why the biffer wasn't working was that you were not running it properly: you run it instead of Seteup-NEJ2.exe, not after it. again, apologies if the instructions were not clear.

so, to fix: delete yr current install completely. sorry about that. then, follow these instructions:

1. Complete a full SoA installation.
2. Complete a full ToB installation.
3. Patch installation with the official Bioware 26498 Patch.
4. Copy NEJ2 Biffer_v3.rar, NEJ2v42B.exe, and NEJ2v602.exe to your BGII ? SoA directory.
5. ?Extract here? the NEJ2 Biffer_v3.rar in your BGII directory, then delete the .rar archive.
6. Run the NEJ2v42B.exe application, then click ?accept?, and then ?install? to your C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII ? SoA directory. This will extract the NEJ2 files, and prepare you for the NEJ2 portion of the installation. Click ?no? on the prompt of over-write tisunpack.exe.
7. Delete NEJ2v42B.exe from your main SoA directory.
8. Open the Setup-NEJ2.tp2 file with WordPad, and delete all of the ?Required File? lines at the beginning of the .tp2 file:

REQUIRE_FILE ~Data/25Dialog.bif~ ~Please install "Throne Of Bhaal" and the official ToB patch before installation of this mod.~
REQUIRE_FILE ~override/Animate.ids~ ~Please install the official ToB patch before installation of this mod.~
REQUIRE_FILE ~override/MusicList.ids~ ~Please install the official ToB patch before installation of this mod.~
REQUIRE_FILE ~override/CLASS.ids~ ~Please install the official ToB patch before installation of this mod.~
REQUIRE_FILE ~override/AreaType.ids~ ~Please install the official ToB patch before installation of this mod.~
REQUIRE_FILE ~override/Spell.ids~ ~Please install the Baldurdash fixpack before installation of this mod.~
Close and save the Setup-NEJ2.tp2 file. Do not run Setup-NEJ2.exe
9. Double-click ?Setup-NEJ2Biffer.exe?.
10. Type in ?i? for install and press ?enter?.
11. Press ?enter? again to complete the NEJ2 Biffer install, then type in ?i? again and ?enter? to install all the components of NEJ2.
12. Press ?enter? at the end to unpack all of the .tis files and the .ogg files, and to ?biff up? everything.
13. Run the NEJ2v602 application, then click ?accept?, and then install to your C?\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII ? SoA directory. This will extract the NEJ2 patch files and prepare you for the patching portion of the program. The ?Setup ? NEJ2v602.exe? file will update automatically to WeiDU version 191.
14. Delete NEJ2v602.exe from your SoA directory.
15. Double-click ?Setup ? NEJ2v602.exe?.
16. Type in ?i? for install and press ?enter?. Press ?i? again to install Imoen Portrait, and ?i? again to install the Tortured Souls Compatibility patch. Press ?n? to skip re-installing the ?No-CD crack?.
17. Press ?enter? to exit the NEJ2v602 patch installation.

at this point, you've got NEJ2 fully installed on a complete BGII install with BD-weidu. you can then go and install TDD, SOS, CtB< BGT, and/or whatever other mods you choose, and then BP-weidu, in the order suggested by the install sticky. by the way, the step-by-step instuctions i posted are from erebusant's excellent step-by-step mega-install instructions

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#14 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:38 PM

"at this point, you've got NEJ2 fully installed on a complete BGII install with BD-weidu. you can then go and install TDD, SOS, CtB< BGT, and/or whatever other mods you choose, and then BP-weidu"

Thanks Big S,
I followed the edited instructions from above post, but realized I didn't install BD weidu 1.5 until after Nej install. Though you didn't mention it, I tried and it wouldn't work. So I continued with the rest of the install as before (5+hours and not finished with bp install yet!).

Is BD weidu included in the biffer or nej?

So, A)did I mess up again
B)if so, do I need BD weidu 1.5 (and can I lump it at the end)

Part of Bd weidu setup: where it started to go badly
ERROR: [SPCL221.SPL] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("SPCL221.SPL: write out of bounds"))
Stopping installation because of error.

#15 dragonian

dragonian
  • Validating
  • 503 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 10:59 PM

Yes you need BD weidu 1.5 as NEJ needs it to work properly.

#16 wellunhappy

wellunhappy
  • 329 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 03:43 AM

Yes you need BD weidu 1.5 as NEJ needs it to work properly.

It seems that despite an install guide the majority of posts seem to be around installs.

I've got a couple of weeks spare the inclination and the illegal copy of adobe distiller to do a yaz style makeover to the seanas install guide for all the folks out there who are not familiar with weidu this and biff that.

Please let me know if you think it?s necessary to tap out more detailed guide, with maybe a couple of screen shots.

#17 dragonian

dragonian
  • Validating
  • 503 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 05:06 AM

but there is very detailed Erebrusants install guide in BP-BGT

#18 radish_hoedown

radish_hoedown
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:48 AM

Erebusants is very good, but if you still want to make one, dont let that stop you.. ^^

#19 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:50 AM

OK, finished install number 3, painstakingly following seanas directions. It took almost 8 hours, is this normal? Third times a charm :D Everything seems to be in working order. That is, until I have Hrothgar join and the game just freezes. I have Jaheira,Minsc,Imoen,Me,Dar,Accalia. After Hroth asks to join and I say yes game freezes, leaving a black square taking up half my desktop(and Bg2 "is not responding" message). I thought I could kick minsc out and meet at copp coronet but only option is "we are far from home wait here" .(tried joining with only 5 members and still freezes)

By the way on previous install without bd weidu, nej still worked. But I didn't play farther along - just enough to see dialogues worked.

Only problems on install were DO quest pack- "can't install creature/area improvements"
and couldn't install G3 tweaks- weidu opens and says "bad command or filename"

Other than that directions were pretty clear after seanas post, and install seemed ok. Is there a way around this?

#20 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:51 AM

wiped post

Edited by maximus2001, 19 June 2006 - 11:09 PM.