Got a Question?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 Gothic Raven

Gothic Raven
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 08:25 PM

I think I'm in the right place to ask a question, neh? ;) :P

I gave all the 'stickies' a once over as MorningGlory suggested. I think I understand which content is apporpriate and what's not. But my main question is which type of stories are allowed.

Now in MG's(I hope you don't mind if I call you MG?) response to the thread that I posted my question in. She said that stories from other fantasies were allowed. But what about non-fantasy stories? I know this site is dedicated to modding of the rpg games, paticulary Baldur's Gate.

I know becasue I once was here under another user before the merger. But back to my question. You see I fancy myself a angst writter, (fear me B) ;) ) and I *could* write an angst story in a BG setting. But I usally like to make origanal stories.

I wuv to make my own charecters... :wub: :D

So, could I do non- fantasy origanal stories?

Edited by Gothic Raven, 24 June 2004 - 08:27 PM.

#22 MorningGlory

MorningGlory
  • 796 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 08:46 PM

I think I'm in the right place to ask a question, neh? ;)  :P

I gave all the 'stickies' a once over as MorningGlory suggested. I think I understand which content is apporpriate and what's not. But my main question is which type of stories are allowed.

Now in MG's(I hope you don't mind if I call you MG?) response to the thread that I posted my question in. She said that stories from other fantasies were allowed. But what about non-fantasy stories? I know this site is dedicated to modding of the rpg games, paticulary Baldur's Gate.

I know becasue I once was here under another user before the merger. But back to my question. You see I fancy myself a angst writter, (fear me B)  ;) ) and I *could* write an angst story in a BG setting. But I usally like to make origanal stories.

I wuv to make my own charecters... :wub:  :D

So, could I do non- fantasy origanal stories?

Sure, GR! Original stories are always welcome. Er, no guarantee if you set them in 1950's U.S. suburbia that they will be read here ;) , but I am sure original fiction set in the FR realm/BG setting will certainly raise some interest among our readers. We have a few sprinklings of things along that line, and I anticipate even more as time goes on. And who knows? Maybe some talented modder will read your story and want to make your hero into a mod addition for one of the games we support here. (It's been known to happen.... ;) )

And if you want or need any assistance, we have a bunch of wonderful people who have graciously consented to betaread and proofread -- and I only mention that so you know that all types of help are available for the asking.

Again, welcome aboard! :D

MG

ps: and I don't mind being called MG at all, and I hope you don't mind the GR.. ;)

#23 Gothic Raven

Gothic Raven
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:12 PM

I have no problem with being called GR or Raven. Though Gothic would be a little strange since it's ment to describe me. *stops himself before he starts talking about descriptive nouns*

Well when I have something written I'll post it. Thank you.

~Sent Via The Planes of Hell
Sender: Raven
The moral: Beware of Goths. We bite.

#24 Plasmocat

Plasmocat

Incredible, unstoppable titan of terror!

• 1123 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 11:30 AM

Raven's question has inspired a cpl of my own. I don't have anything written at this time (although my PC is keeping a rather irreverent journal), but now I'm curious.

Is most fan fiction a depiction of the writer's PC as s/he goes through the game? If it's possible that original characters might get some interest, but not non-BG stories of the future, what about stories set in Faerum that occur in that world's future? Events set in motion by these ancient events kind of thing? Is there any crossover fan fiction? Or is that a big no-no?

For example, I sent someone a sample of my PC's journal to set up a joke & was told I should expand on it. But it's completely different than most of what I've seen here. It has more of a "modern" voice, and is very tongue-in-cheek -- kind of like Anomen's zombie pic tutorial if any of you read that, only with my PC's perspective. I've noted that some (but not all) BG players prefer material that is faithful to the canon as much as possible. Just by it's tone, this wouldn't really fit that style. I just find it more amusing that way.

I haven't really seen that much BG fan fiction around, but then I haven't tried to look into finding it either. So any insight into the "culture" of what is & isn't acceptable would be helpful.

Edited by Plasmocat, 01 July 2004 - 11:35 AM.

All great deeds and all great thoughts have a ridiculous beginning. -- Albert Camus

#25 VigaHrolf

VigaHrolf

God of Paperclips

• 79 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 08:14 PM

Plasmocat,

Hello and welcome. Have a drink, its on the house. And remember, if you're only going to have one drink, have it after another.

As to your question, we run a very loose ship around here. And we carry a lot of insurance in case we run aground. Which happens around here every once and a while. (It's a good thing this isn't an oil tanker huh?)

But in all seriousness (which I hope we never actually acheive), feel free to be free form about it, provided it follows the simple rules we have listed. So, if you want to write a story about Captain Anomen Deryln of the USS Excelsior or just a very different perspective, feel free. Experiment. Have fun.

For that is what is important, is it not?

And if this makes no sense, feel free to PM me. :D

Good luck and happy writing!

VH

#26 Plasmocat

Plasmocat

Incredible, unstoppable titan of terror!

• 1123 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 10:42 AM

Thanks, Viga! :) No, it made sense and I had a good laugh at the idea of a George-Michael lookalike captaining a starship ... oh wait, that wasn't Anomen, that was Wil Riker. :D

Yay! Opportunity for more fan fiction that never gets finished! Posted Image

Edited by Plasmocat, 02 July 2004 - 10:43 AM.

All great deeds and all great thoughts have a ridiculous beginning. -- Albert Camus

#27 Loké

Loké
  • 355 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 11:27 AM

Well the more I think about it, the more I don't see why I shouldn't post the rest of my fanfic here. Except it's got a lemon (Sex) scene in it. So long as I gave advanced warning, would it be ok if I posted it?

(Let me guess: No.) :P
Raaar!

#28 Jolyth

Jolyth

Feather Boa Wielding Dominatrix

• 2016 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 11:44 AM

Well the more I think about it, the more I don't see why I shouldn't post the rest of my fanfic here. Except it's got a lemon (Sex) scene in it. So long as I gave advanced warning, would it be ok if I posted it?

(Let me guess: No.) :P

View Post

Please send it to either myself or Viga before posting. I mean, as long as you are not posting the Kama Sutra, I can't forsee a problem. But, best to let us look over it first.

Jolyth

Edited by Jolyth, 05 January 2005 - 11:46 AM.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOOHOO! What a Ride!

Some people are like slinkies. They are not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs!!

Dyslexia of Borg: Your ass will be laminated

Solaufein Flirt Pack

3doctors1.gif

#29 VigaHrolf

VigaHrolf

God of Paperclips

• 79 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 10:45 AM

Indeed. Send it to either of your friendly neighborhood mods and we'll review it. Just nothing that would make the readers of Penthouse Forum jealous, alright?

VH

#30 Shining Light

Shining Light

Shining Light and the Rise of Smileyface

• 355 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 01:17 PM

Can someone explain the story ratings to me? I'm not really sure about all this stuff.
"Joy comes through suffering," Joneleth Silverstar,
"Life is when the Spirit prepares for the Ethereal," Gorion Ralethscar
"Death can only rule Supreme. Anyone who resists this is a fool"

#31 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 02:06 PM

G - General (no age restriction, "clean")
PG - Parental Guidance (self-explanatory, may contain some dubious parts)
R - Restricted (contains some er... more intense elements)

Wouldn't worry too much about that, though.

Edited by Lightspeed, 07 March 2005 - 02:07 PM.

崇高滑稽
·

#32 Jolyth

Jolyth

Feather Boa Wielding Dominatrix

• 2016 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 02:16 PM

Lightspeed has it on the mark. However, I will add that I also am willing to do grammar and spelling checks if you feel you need to have this checked as well.

MJ

[EDIT] Whoops! Didn't see VH's post. Yeah, that too! :P

Edited by Jolyth, 07 March 2005 - 02:19 PM.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOOHOO! What a Ride!

Some people are like slinkies. They are not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs!!

Dyslexia of Borg: Your ass will be laminated

Solaufein Flirt Pack

3doctors1.gif

#33 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:57 AM

For some reason my computer is stupid. After I did all the right things and said all the good things, Sarevok turned chaotic good (finally he'll stop threatening everyone...), but NO!!!!!!! :angry: next time I saved, my computer decided that Sarevok would turn back to chaotic evil - no, wait, I didn't do anything. And re-loading my save just before that didn't change de problem; as soon as I save after Sar is CG, he turns back CE. So, for the sake of the fiction I'm currently writing, I'd like to know if there's any way I can find his epilogue somewhere? And what does he say in the Throne of Bhaal when Solar tells you your choices???

Thanks in advance.

Edited by DalreïDal, 12 March 2005 - 09:33 AM.

"I set on this journey trying to understand why has metal been stereotyped, dismissed, and condemned. My answer is this: if, listening to that music, you don't get that overwhelming rush of power that makes the hair stand at the back of your neck, you may never will. But you know what, it doesn't really matter. Because, judging from the 40 000 people around me, we're doing just fine without ya." :) Cheers! And two horns up for metalheads all around the world!

#34 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 03:22 PM

Someone merge this with the "Got a question?" thread. ^_^

崇高滑稽
·

#35 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 07:11 AM

For some reason my computer is stupid.  After I did all the right things and said all the good things, Sarevok turned chaotic good (finally he'll stop threatening everyone...), but NO!!!!!!!  :angry: next time I saved, my computer decided that Sarevok would turn back to chaotic evil - no, wait, I didn't do anything.  And re-loading my save just before that didn't change de problem; as soon as I save after Sar is CG, he turns back CE.  So, for the sake of the fiction I'm currently writing, I'd like to know if there's any way I can find his epilogue somewhere?  And what does he say in the Throne of Bhaal when Solar tells you your choices???

View Post

This has almost nothing to do with Fanfic -_-, but naturally you can find his epilogue. SAREVND.2DA has the sreff #73926 in it, which reads:

In the years following his resurrection by <CHARNAME>, Sarevok never settled in any one place for long. In Berdusk he is said to have routed an army of invading orcs, displaying such fearsome power and rage that terrified locals weren't sure whom to fear more. In Westgate he arrived as conqueror, brutally enforcing his will only to mysteriously vanish months later. He acted like a man that did not know himself, and all the stories agreed that Sarevok was a tortured soul, balancing between life and death, never to achieve either. Eventually he disappeared, said to have assaulted the Abyss itself, or even taken his own life. In truth, he journeyed to Kara-Tur to bury his one true love, the warrior Tamoko. He never returned, though the stories endure.

I will get Jolyth to merge this thread.

#36 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 09:51 AM

Oh, sorry for the visual (unconscious, I might add) pollution of the forum.

Thank you Shed for your post, but I have a few buts. First I never used one of the tools on your link, and I'm not sure I feel confident enough of my abilities to try one. Second, that epilogue is CE Sarevok's epilogue... Is it the same for the CG Sarevok? And it has to do with the fiction I'm writing... even if it is not posted yet.
"I set on this journey trying to understand why has metal been stereotyped, dismissed, and condemned. My answer is this: if, listening to that music, you don't get that overwhelming rush of power that makes the hair stand at the back of your neck, you may never will. But you know what, it doesn't really matter. Because, judging from the 40 000 people around me, we're doing just fine without ya." :) Cheers! And two horns up for metalheads all around the world!

#37 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 11:15 AM

Download Near Infinity or DLCTEP. They are very useful, powerful, and will allow you to find out the answers to most of your questions :).

Sarevok's epilogue does not change in unmodded ToB, regardless of alignment change. Some people regard this as a flaw ;).

#38 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 09:33 AM

Thank you again, Shed.

I think I will choose to regard this as a flaw as well...!!!!

#39 Ismail

Ismail

Squirrel Pride Worldwide!

• 423 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 01:23 AM

Well now, not to mean it as a flame-bait... but, anyone got any good&long fanfics to recommend? I've read "In the Cards" (and it's sequel) and the "Story of a Girl with no name" (or somesuch) as well as one Spellhold story which' name I can't remember to save my life...

So any other good&long fics you'd recommend?
Lahinguväljal joome, raisk!

#40 SaintZenn

SaintZenn

Best game ever

• 419 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 02:52 AM

A Cappella over on the Attic is really good.
A Cappella
The Sarevok Saga also on the attic. Note that the one of Sarevok is three very long parts.
Sarevok Sage
My Deviantart account

Mme. Thenardier:
I used to dream that I would meet a prince
But God Almighty, have you seen what's happened since?
Master of the house? Isn't worth me spit!
`Comforter, philosopher' and lifelong sh*t!
Cunning little brain, regular Voltaire
Thinks he's quite a lover but there's not much there
What a cruel trick of nature landed me with such a louse
God knows how I've lasted living with this bastard in the house!