Transition

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:57 AM

I've decided to really try out BGT (I've been a TuTu guy). I've heard so many things about the fabled transition that I really don't know what to expect. How will the NPCs transit?

Suppose I have Viconia, Edwin, Kagain, Shar-Teel and Xan in my party, all alive and well at the end of BG1. What will happen in Baldur's Gate II?

Also, this install order should work, right?

1) BG1 + ToSC + ToSC update
2) BG2 + ToB + ToB update
3) G3 Fixpack
4) BGT-Weidu v1.01
5) TuTu Gui v1.7
6) 1 Pixel Productions v2
7) Prologue v3
8) BGT Tweak v4
9) BG2 Tweak Pack v1 (G3 Tweaks, TuTu Tweaks, Ease of Use)
10) BG1 NPC BGT v11
12) BG1 NPC BGT v11.1 Patch
13) Banter Packs v6
14) NPC Flirt Packs v1.01
15) Sirines Call BGT v4.3
16) Unfinished Business (BG2) v15
17) D0 Quest Pack v2.3
18) Chosen of Mystra Encounters v1.01
19) G3 Anniverssary Mod v3

Edited by Grunker, 21 August 2006 - 09:11 AM.

"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#2 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:15 AM

The transition works like this :

- If Jaheira / Minsc / Viconia are killed in BG1, they won't appear in BG2
- If Imoen and/or Edwin are killed in BG1, they will still appear in BG2 since they are necessary to the plot
- If Imoen / Jaheira / Minsc / Edwin / Viconia are in your party, they will be imported in BG2 (but will be at their normal place). If they still have their BG1 stats, they will be updated to their BG2 stats. They will keep their XP, weapon proficiency, etc.
- Any other BG1 NPCs are NOT imported (except for some cases if TDD is installed)
- Custom NPCs (like NPCs created in multiplayer and most NPCs from mods) ARE imported and will be available in Irenicus's Dungeon.

IIRC, install Banter Pack just before reaching BG2, not before.
French translator of: BG2 FixPack, BG2 Tweaks, Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU, BGT-Tweaks and some minor mods.

#3 pro5

pro5
  • Modder
  • 722 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:48 AM

The tweak packs should probably go in the end, although I don't think it's very critical.

I'd use DEFJAM XP mod to reduce xp awards for lockpicking/traps/spells (install last).

Not sure about that Chosen of Mystra thing. I've read several threads already where it was reported to be causing problems. But since I don't even know what it is or where to get it, I can't be certain.

#4 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:25 AM

Can anyone confirm this (Banter Packs just before BG2 (before battle with Sarevok?), Tweak Packs last, Chosen of Mystra incompatible)?
"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#5 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:42 PM

You may have hoped an answer from someone else :P but anyway I can give you some proofs.

Banter Pack : http://www.shsforums...showtopic=19539

BGT-WeiDU is partially compatible with:
- Banter Pack v6 or below

* inappropriate Shadows of Amn banters occur during Baldur's Gate and Tales of the Sword Coast

So the solution is to install Banter Pack once in the BG2 part of the game.

(before battle with Sarevok?)

Not necessary at this particular time. Unlike BG1, after you kill Sarevok, the game don't stop (you are not forced to go to BG2 part at once). *You* decide when you are ready to go to BG2. :)

BG2 Tweaks pack last : it is a general advice. BG2 Tweak packs can patch even items or creature coming from mods. But they can do that only for the mods installed BEFORE it. They cannot see the new items and creature installed AFTER it. So, even if it is not mandatory, it is a good advice to install BG2 Tweaks last, or, at least, after all mods introducing new items or creatures if you want the tweak pack to affect them. :)

If you still don't believe me, look here : http://www.gibberlin...-bg2tweaks.html

Every component in this mod makes interactive changes and should, in general, be compatible with other mods. Except where noted, the tweaks adjust items or dialogues added by other mods. As such, it is highly recommended that you install this mod after other mods if you wish to take full advantage of it.

About Chosen of Mystra's Enconters : it is compatible with BGT-WeiDU (according to the compatibility list), but it seems there are compatibily problems with BP-WeiDU ( http://www.shsforums...showtopic=21784 ). Since you don't plan to install BP-WeiDU, installing CoM Encounters should be safe.

By the way, I highly recommend DEF JAM for the BG1 part of the game. Setting 10% XP locks and no XP for learing spells is nearly mandatory (otherwise you will gain way too much experience). I recommend using 75% XP for creatures too, to simulate the XP cap (since you don't have XP cap with BGT-WeiDU). With those settings, Tutu-leveled spawns from BGT-Tweaks and a party of 6, your will have around 160k XP when finishing the BG1 part of the game. Of course, once you are in the BG2 part, uninstall DEF JAM (unless you want additionnal challenge).

Edited by Anomaly, 21 August 2006 - 03:47 PM.

French translator of: BG2 FixPack, BG2 Tweaks, Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU, BGT-Tweaks and some minor mods.

#6 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 12:33 AM

- If Imoen / Jaheira / Minsc / Edwin / Viconia are in your party, they will be imported in BG2 (but will be at their normal place). If they still have their BG1 stats, they will be updated to their BG2 stats. They will keep their XP, weapon proficiency, etc.
- Custom NPCs (like NPCs created in multiplayer and most NPCs from mods) ARE imported and will be available in Irenicus's Dungeon.

Are u 100% sure about those 2? I'm wondering about NPC stats, they should have same stats as they have in BG1 part ... and about NPC taken by BG1 mod, are u sure that if i have Jet'laya (example) she will appear in Irenicus Dungeon?

mm75

Tired of the same boring spawned creatures u face in BG? Try BGSpawn

#7 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:52 AM

Are u 100% sure about those 2? I'm wondering about NPC stats, they should have same stats as they have in BG1 part ...

In this were the case, importing them would be a disavantadge. For each NPCs with different stats between BG1 and BG2, BGT-WeiDU checks, for each modified stat if it is still at its BG1 value, and if this is the case, it is upgraded. So if Jaheira still has a dexterity of 14, her dexterity is upgraded to 17. And yes, I am sure about that, I have tested this countless time, read the code and submitted bug reports. :whistling:

and about NPC taken by BG1 mod, are u sure that if i have Jet'laya (example) she will appear in Irenicus Dungeon?

Ascension said this :

http://www.shsforums...ndpost&p=241687

Custom NPCs that are not from SoBH, NTotSC, and DSotSC will also transition with you.

#8 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 02:20 AM

Thanks for your reply Anomaly ... may be you can also answer to this: what if i changed for example Jaheira values with NI (also kit and/or whatever eventually), she will be imported with those value i changed or she will be rolled back to BG2 stats/value,etc ... ?

Many thanks,

mm75

#9 Vlad

Vlad
  • 577 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 05:36 AM

what if i changed for example Jaheira values with NI (also kit and/or whatever eventually), she will be imported with those value i changed or she will be rolled back to BG2 stats/value,etc ... ?

In two-three days when I finish TotSC and reach the transition point, I'll take care about this. :)

#10 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 05:46 AM

what if i changed for example Jaheira values with NI (also kit and/or whatever eventually), she will be imported with those value i changed or she will be rolled back to BG2 stats/value,etc ... ?

In two-three days when I finish TotSC and reach the transition point, I'll take care about this. :)

I guess Vlad you're using your kit for Jaheira ... i'm doing actually (with some modifications, as 2 stars with crossbow, instead of 3 ;) :P ) It will take take more than 2-3 days for me to finish BG1 portion of the game, please if u can update me on that i really appreciate it :cheers:

mm75

Edited by melkor_morgoth75, 22 August 2006 - 05:47 AM.

#11 Vlad

Vlad
  • 577 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:46 AM

No more three stars in crossbows! Two is enough. Actually, I had a problem with adding this kit because I installed NeJ2 after BGT and did not properly amend installation. Now it is fixed. B)

#12 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:21 AM

No more three stars in crossbows! Two is enough. Actually, I had a problem with adding this kit because I installed NeJ2 after BGT and did not properly amend installation. Now it is fixed. B)

Vlad, is there any chance of getting a choice of portraits for Jaheira? I don't really care for the original, but I think I like it a lot better than the one in BGT-NEJ2 patch, but I think the one you posted on BWL recently was just awesome!! Only problem with that was it was only the large size.

It takes a village...

#13 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:27 AM

You may have hoped an answer from someone else :P but anyway I can give you some proofs.

Banter Pack : http://www.shsforums...showtopic=19539

BGT-WeiDU is partially compatible with:
- Banter Pack v6 or below

* inappropriate Shadows of Amn banters occur during Baldur's Gate and Tales of the Sword Coast

So the solution is to install Banter Pack once in the BG2 part of the game.

(before battle with Sarevok?)

Not necessary at this particular time. Unlike BG1, after you kill Sarevok, the game don't stop (you are not forced to go to BG2 part at once). *You* decide when you are ready to go to BG2. :)

BG2 Tweaks pack last : it is a general advice. BG2 Tweak packs can patch even items or creature coming from mods. But they can do that only for the mods installed BEFORE it. They cannot see the new items and creature installed AFTER it. So, even if it is not mandatory, it is a good advice to install BG2 Tweaks last, or, at least, after all mods introducing new items or creatures if you want the tweak pack to affect them. :)

If you still don't believe me, look here : http://www.gibberlin...-bg2tweaks.html

Every component in this mod makes interactive changes and should, in general, be compatible with other mods. Except where noted, the tweaks adjust items or dialogues added by other mods. As such, it is highly recommended that you install this mod after other mods if you wish to take full advantage of it.

About Chosen of Mystra's Enconters : it is compatible with BGT-WeiDU (according to the compatibility list), but it seems there are compatibily problems with BP-WeiDU ( http://www.shsforums...showtopic=21784 ). Since you don't plan to install BP-WeiDU, installing CoM Encounters should be safe.

By the way, I highly recommend DEF JAM for the BG1 part of the game. Setting 10% XP locks and no XP for learing spells is nearly mandatory (otherwise you will gain way too much experience). I recommend using 75% XP for creatures too, to simulate the XP cap (since you don't have XP cap with BGT-WeiDU). With those settings, Tutu-leveled spawns from BGT-Tweaks and a party of 6, your will have around 160k XP when finishing the BG1 part of the game. Of course, once you are in the BG2 part, uninstall DEF JAM (unless you want additionnal challenge).

Never again will I question your superior authority ;)

Thanks for the help Anomaly!

- Yahtzee

#14 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 02:41 PM

Thanks for your reply Anomaly ... may be you can also answer to this: what if i changed for example Jaheira values with NI (also kit and/or whatever eventually), she will be imported with those value i changed or she will be rolled back to BG2 stats/value,etc ... ?

I cannot be sure because I can't test it at this moment (hopefully Vlad will finish his game soon), but I think your modified Jaheira will be left as is. :)

If I recall correctly, the method BGT-WeiDU uses to upgrade Jaheira is :
- check the dexterity
- if dexterity = 14 then silently apply a spell that grants +3 dexterity permanently
- otherwise, do nothing

So, for example, if you have a Sorcerer Jaheira with 14 dexterity, you should get a Sorcerer with 17 dexterity. Should Jaheira be a Fighter/Mage/Cleric with 15 dexterity, she should stay the same.

Please note that your modified Jaheira will be imported only if she is in your party when you will run the transition. If she's alive but not in your party at this very moment, a fresh BG2 Jaheira will be created, even if you had (a modified) Jaheira for some times in BG1.

Minsc's upgrade is fun, too. He will gain +1 dex, +1 con, and change alignment from Neutral Good to Chaotic Good. It's a shame his favored enemy cannot be changed dynamically.

#15 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:42 PM

A bit OFF-TOPIC: i guess did u change it in new version of NEJ?

mm75

#16 Vlad

Vlad
  • 577 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:53 PM

In NeJ2 v6.7 the new portraits of both Jaheira and Imoen are two different optional components, so you may install them or not. Further, the portrait of Jaheira you've seen at my forum boards at BWL replaces the current portrait.

Before going to TotSC I've decided to see a new transition. My group: Imoen, Jaheira, Shar-Teel, Viconia, Edwin.

Jaheira, Viconia and Edwin transit smoothly with preserving their levels (XP) and learned spells. Also Jaheira's and Viconia's stats were properly updated to their BG2 stats. Unfortunately, Jaheira still speaks about missing Khalid, although we burried him near Beregost to free space for Shar-Teel. :devil:

Shar-Teel and Imoen did not transit. I mean they were created a new with the default for BG2 stats corresponding to the level of PC. This is the first major issue I should look into when I finish TotSC.

As a side note, my reputation dropped to 1 after killing several Flaming Fists trying to prevent me from saving Duke Eltan. It doesn't make sense to start BG2 with such low reputation. What I propose to do, and I do not consider it to be a tweak or cheat, is to check and increase the reputation after finishing Sarevok at least up to average of 9-10. If you think that updating stats of NPCs (Minsc, Jaheira, Viconia) is okay, then I do not see any problem to update reputation, which is a fair solution in my opinion. My PC earned this reputation with his blood. :lol:

Edited by Vlad, 22 August 2006 - 11:05 PM.

#17 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:17 PM

As a side note, my reputation dropped to 1 after killing several Flaming Fists trying to prevent me from saving Duke Eltan.

Why did you kill them?? Just run from all fights. You can save him without killing any of them. Use Immy inviz. 15' and potions of Inviz. and just walk past them. Play smart Vlad! :P

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#18 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:21 PM

As a side note, my reputation dropped to 1 after killing several Flaming Fists trying to prevent me from saving Duke Eltan. It doesn't make sense to start BG2 with such low reputation. What I propose to do, and I do not consider it to be a tweak or cheat, is to check and increase the reputation after finishing Sarevok at least up to average of 9-10. If you think that updating stats of NPCs (Minsc, Jaheira, Viconia) is okay, then I do not see any problem to update reputation, which is a fair solution in my opinion. My PC earned this reputation with his blood. :lol:

Gibbering 3 has a tweak about it Vlad (if i'm not wrong it resets at the start of BG2 ;) ), check BG2Tweaks for them ;)

Bad to know my kitted Imoen & Jaheira won't be the same in BG2 so ... really BAD news :wacko:

mm75

Edited by melkor_morgoth75, 22 August 2006 - 11:24 PM.

#19 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 12:39 AM

Bad to know my kitted Imoen & Jaheira won't be the same in BG2 so ... really BAD news :wacko:

Why do you say that ?

#20 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 12:47 AM

If my english is still fine ... ;) ... Vlad said that Jaheira took her BG2 values (the kit is ok, but i need to change again her value i gave from NI) but the worst is Imoen who has been NOT imported, she has been created with BG2 stats and Level according to the PC lavel :(

mm75