• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:09 PM

When I 1st got to Arlax, I started working my way around town from the northern gate CCW to the high mage building, finished Gaidan's Castle quest, went SW to the Smithy, and each time I opened the door and then attempted entry to the Smithy I had an immediate CTD. Didn't even try to load. Continued on, Checked out the rest of the town, played with the Demi-lich a bit, got Garam's ring, met the Artemis contact, resolved the ghost outside of town, then went back and was able to enter the Smithy with no problems. Pretty Strange.

It takes a village...

#2 King Diamond

King Diamond

Give Me Your Soul...Please

• Modder
  • 1430 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 11:40 PM

Can you give an area code?

(last update: 02-12-2008)
----------------------------------------------
SoS, v1.13
TDD, v1.12
TS-BP, v6.10
CtB, v1.11
RoT, v2.1
BP Animations Scheme

#3 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 04:58 AM

Can you give an area code?

RR3101

It takes a village...

#4 King Diamond

King Diamond

Give Me Your Soul...Please

• Modder
  • 1430 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:24 AM

weidu --out ROT-TIS1 --biff-get-rest AR0334.tis
must be added to RoT-Install.bat after TIS'es extraction.

AR0334.tis is stored in a compressed BIF, so it causes CTD when loading.

For a quick fix - open RR3101.ARE in DLTCEP, press Edit WED an just preview tileset once. TIS will be extracted to \override\ (with necessary TIS header).

Edited by King Diamond, 12 September 2006 - 08:25 AM.

(last update: 02-12-2008)
SoS, v1.13
TDD, v1.12
TS-BP, v6.10
CtB, v1.11
RoT, v2.1
BP Animations Scheme

#5 Rewiz

Rewiz
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:55 AM

Hey, have the same problem with a ctd on trying to enter smithy would like to be able to fix it but i dont really understand what king diamond said, i'm not very good at that sort of thing, anyone able to shed a little light on it for me so i can try an fix this.

#6 morganbg

morganbg
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:14 AM

For me this doesn't work :

For a quick fix - open RR3101.ARE in DLTCEP, press Edit WED an just preview tileset once. TIS will be extracted to \override\

But having modified the file RoT-Install.bat, according to the instructions of King Diamond, and reinstalled, there is no more a CTD. It is from now on possible to benefit from the talents of blacksmith of Brundor.

It is easy to modify the file RoT-Install.bat with a text editor ; if not, simply replace the file in the directory \RoTerror, by that which is joined (remove the .txt)
but you will have to reinstall RoT

Edited by morganbg, 06 July 2007 - 12:47 PM.

#7 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 11:48 AM

weidu --out ROT-TIS1 --biff-get-rest AR0334.tis
must be added to RoT-Install.bat after TIS'es extraction.

AR0334.tis is stored in a compressed BIF, so it causes CTD when loading.

For a quick fix - open RR3101.ARE in DLTCEP, press Edit WED an just preview tileset once. TIS will be extracted to \override\ (with necessary TIS header).

It just happened again in my game.

I have NearInfinity installed. Can I fix it with that?

#8 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:05 PM

In NI, TIS folder, right-click AR0334.tis, Export, save to your override.

Hope that helps. Otherwise, run the command above from a DOS window or make a batch file to run it. I gave instructions in another post, but getting sleepy. yawn...

#9 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 12:11 PM

No joy. Followed your directions with NI, and this time loading bar goes all the way then freezes game. I don't know how to use dos or the batch file <_< , maybe you could post directions again?

#10 morganbg

morganbg
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:16 PM

Followed your directions with NI, and this time loading bar goes all the way then freezes game

I was never able to get it worked with NI or DLTCEP.
And the batch file can only be used during the install procedure because the folder /ROT-TIS1 is deleted at the end of the install procedure.
So the only way i get it worked was using King Diamond instruction, modifying the RoT-Install.bat and reinstalling RoT.
( You can find this RoT-Install.bat file in your /RoTerror directory)

#11 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:27 PM

No joy. Followed your directions with NI, and this time loading bar goes all the way then freezes game. I don't know how to use dos or the batch file <_< , maybe you could post directions again?

http://www.shsforums...showtopic=25717

#12 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:50 PM

Followed your directions with NI, and this time loading bar goes all the way then freezes game

I was never able to get it worked with NI or DLTCEP.
And the batch file can only be used during the install procedure because the folder /ROT-TIS1 is deleted at the end of the install procedure.
So the only way i get it worked was using King Diamond instruction, modifying the RoT-Install.bat and reinstalling RoT.
( You can find this RoT-Install.bat file in your /RoTerror directory)

Try this batch file. Save it and change the extension to .bat. Put the file in your main BGII-SoA directory, double-click to run it and the TIS will be at the bottom when you're done. Copy the TIS to your override.

Attached Files

Edited by erebusant, 30 April 2007 - 02:52 PM.

It takes a village...

#13 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 07:43 PM

Thanks E, I followed your directions and got 2 files - Rot.tis1 and Ar0334.tis.

I tried putting both in override and bam - ctd.

Then tried just the Ar0334.tis and still ctd. :blink:

If it matters I only have the ghost quest and a couple missions for Cain (the thief) left to do in Arlax. In your first post I saw that the problem went away by itself for you eventually. Also on my last game (same installation) I was able to go into area for a while till Pip moved to his own forge, then ctd. Now its the first time trying to enter area ctd.

Please tell me I don't need to reinstall. :crying:

Also getting a ctd in Eshpurta, trying to enter first house on the left (inside castle walls), maybe the same area file?

I'll try Azazello's directions too.

#14 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 08:02 PM

Ok, I tried Azazello's directions. Just changed the area from ts to AR0334 and ran it.

1st time it said file already exists (the one from erebusant) and press f to override - I did and nothing happened.

2nd time I deleted the file from override, then the message said the file does not exist. :wacko:

#15 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:09 PM

Sadly neither erebusant's or azazello's directions worked for me :o . In fact once I left the tis file in the override Cromwell's smithy would crash game (no loading screen, just a black box on desktop).

Maybe I could clua the smithy and talk to him outside? I have a bunch of items to get forged and need to do the eye of the god quest in chapter 6 so I'm still hoping for a way around this. ;)

Thanks for the help though. Maybe a clean tis file from somebody would work?

#16 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:07 PM

Hi. I had this exact same error - Cromwell crashing - just a week or two ago. So let's try to fix this.

1st: did you have Xzar+Montaron and then dismissed them later? If so, there's a TDD bug where they go to the Dock District and occupy the exact same location point. I had to go in to NI and change one of them to a slightly different point.

This fixed that problem but I don't think it really fixed the CtD. But I mention it because I think you said in another post that you had them.

2nd: another attempt I made was to copy/paste area030b.bif from an unmodded installation, put it into \cache\data then loaded a save-game and this worked.

BUT this is really weird because when I took it out, then loaded the save again, area030b.bif got reloaded afresh from the game disc, and then CtD still occurred?!!!!?!

So let us know which, if any, of these work.

#17 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:48 PM

Hi Az, I remember the posts but at the time didn't have the problem. Now it happens after putting in the AR0334.tis in override-both areas ctd.

1)I picked up Xzar after going through Harper base and not picking up montarons body 1st time. Did that because funny things happened like X not recognizing body in inventory if I did. Base was locked so I SK'd body, Monty would join and one or the other would quit right away(with the high rep complaint) even though rep was around 14. I ended up stashing body and having X petrify himself in the sewers till I could figure out what was wrong. No difference if rep was lower, they would split.

2)I had the Arlax ctd since the first time I tried to go in. It worked for a while in my last game(on the exact same install) before getting screwy.

3)I did not get the Cromwell crash until I added the AR0334.tis per your directions (not your fault, but I tried it). Once it was taken out of override problem was solved.

4)I will try your second method, though I don't have an umodded AR030.bif.

Thanks!

#18 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 08:10 AM

OK Az, I found the file in BG2 CD2 folder (AREA030B.BIF) and put it in cache/data and it didn't work, sigh.

As of now Cromwell works but not Arlax smithy.

Maybe something to do with no cd hack? Like not recognizing the file? I'm just guessing here...

#19 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 08:50 AM

I didn't use the file from the CD. I have my vanilla BG2 on C: and the active games on another drive. What I did was start a new game in vanilla, CLUA'd to Cromwell's, closed the game, and copied the area030b.bif created in \cache\data into my megainstall.

That's what makes this error so weird, as both version of the file should be the same, but the CD version did not work but the generated one did.

Sorry I have no idea why this is not working. Plus, I don't think re-installing is going to help as we don't even know what the root cause is.

#20 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 02:30 PM

Well at least Cromwell works, just had some stuff done there. Are you saying that Arlax smithy actually works for you? If so could you copy/post your file for that. Thanks for your efforts.