• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:45 PM

Yes, I can go into both Cromwell and Arlax's. Which file do you want? Not area030b.bif, as that is 16Mb.

#22 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 02:06 PM

The AR0334 for Arlax smithy please. :D The one I ran from Erebusant didn't work for some reason.

I'm in Spellhold now so no rush..

Edited by maximus2001, 10 May 2007 - 08:58 PM.

#23 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:57 PM

The AR0334 for Arlax smithy please. :D The one I ran from Erebusant didn't work for some reason.

I'm in Spellhold now so no rush..

OK. I just had the same CTD occur trying to go into the downstairs "smithy/store" in Restenford from Bonehill. Try to CLUA to Cromwell's and got the same CTD. Strangely enough, I was able to CLUA to the Arlax Smithy with no issues. This is what I discovered:

The Cromwell and Bonehill Smithy CTD is not caused by the 0334.TIS, but rather by the associated files. By using NI to extract the AR0334.wed, AR0334SR.bmp, AR0334LM.bmp, and AR0334.HT.bmp files and save them to override, the CTD stopped occuring. I 1st used the DLTCEP as King Diamond instructed which resolved the problem as well because that way extracts all 6 of the area files including the .tis and the .mos file. I then deleted them 1 at a time to verify which file specifically was causing the CTD and it made no difference for Cromwells, or Bonehill Smithy whether the .tis and the .mos were in the override or not. Removing any one of the 3 .bmp files or the .wed file would cause the CTD however.

I was wondering why the Arlax Smithy did not cause a CTD in this case until looking at NI shows that it has it's own named SR, LM, HT .bmp's and it's own named .wed & .mos (rr3101) so the original CTD I had would be resolved by King Diamond's instruction because that is extracting the AR0334.tis which all 3 areas use, but it wouldn't help in the case of the other 2 areas unless you go the DLTCEP route and extract all 6 files.

Give the NI route a try and see if it works. I can post my extracted files if you still need them.

It takes a village...

#24 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:06 AM

@maximus2001: sorry I forgot about this thread. Thanks to erebusant, we have a closer understanding to what's going on.

I'm most interested in knowing how to fix this overall, how to include the fix into an installation. Anyone have ideas? And why are we getting this error (now) when apparently others are not?

#25 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:16 AM

@maximus2001: sorry I forgot about this thread. Thanks to erebusant, we have a closer understanding to what's going on.

I'm most interested in knowing how to fix this overall, how to include the fix into an installation. Anyone have ideas? And why are we getting this error (now) when apparently others are not?

In 2 years of playing with the big mods, I've never run into this crash until very recently. I think I had the Bonehill crash a couple of installs ago, but needed to re-install for other reasons so didn't investigate it further, then my last install the Bonehill smithy worked fine, but I had to re-install after working out my Assassins bug, and this time it occurred again. Is there any possibility that this could be a WeiDU related issue with the latest versions? (ie; v198 & 199?)

It takes a village...

#26 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 05:48 PM

In 2 years of playing with the big mods, I've never run into this crash until very recently. I think I had the Bonehill crash a couple of installs ago, but needed to re-install for other reasons so didn't investigate it further, then my last install the Bonehill smithy worked fine, but I had to re-install after working out my Assassins bug, and this time it occurred again. Is there any possibility that this could be a WeiDU related issue with the latest versions? (ie; v198 & 199?)

Thanks for your efforts guys :Bow: . I went back to trying this again, and now have dltcep (actually had it for a long time and didn't know it was installed or how to use it... :huh: ) Then followed the original post directions. I opened dltcep, opened edit/area, loaded AR0334, hit wed, then edit tiles, then preview and exit. It finally worked! Ha! Yes! Cheers for Erebusant and Azazello :cheers: now I don't have to bug you anymore.

I didn't have this on my last game 6 months ago - same install. Except then I added Rot fix, then recently Tower of Deception and Amber npc at end of weidu install(after problem already appeared). Each one updated the weidu to this newer version.

Also I don't know why the file you gave me didn't work before, the dltcep one I finally got looks the same as yours - AR0334.tis

When I checked my override folder there are a lot of mos files (from today), does that happen whenever you look at/load an area in dltcep? Ended up cutting and pasting to a folder just in case.

Now I have to finish the mod to get the pieces for the bugger. I forgot a lot came from Icewind Dale.

Thanks again!

P.S. You might want to look at the Soul Armor - its supposed to add magic resistance to PC but it doesn't seem to stick after getting a message about it. You have to converse with it a few times first.

#27 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 02:31 PM

I am glad that that worked for you.

Still...

#28 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 03:24 PM

Well its a relief to have it fixed. Its still puzzling why it didn't happen on my last game until I had seen smithy 5 or 6 times (when pip got his own forge), yet it happened first time in my current game.

I can only guess that it is the weidu version like erebusant said, or install order, or something that reset/fiddled with the area after playing the game for a while. I hope it is cleared up, it was a very irritating problem, one I hoped to avoid on my next install.

#29 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:46 PM

This is very frustrating.
I'm getting the CtD at the Bonehill Smithy, and none of the advice above is working.

I have in override - which I got via NI:
AR0334.TIS
ar0334sr.BMP
ar0334.are
ar0334.MOS
ar0334.WED
ar0334ht.BMP
ar0334lm.BMP

RR3101.ARE
RR3101SR.BMP
RR3101LM.BMP
RR3101HT.BMP
RR3101.WED
RR3101.MOS
RR3101.BCS

Is this right?

Also, the DLTCEP is not working for me. I open it, go to Edit Areas, put RR3101 in the Wedfile field, click Edit Wed--and then what? No files are dropped just by opening this window.

I did a Check Area and get warning: 'Invalid area width (5-80)'

Edited by Azazello, 22 May 2007 - 05:48 PM.

#30 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:48 PM

This is very frustrating.
I'm getting the CtD at the Bonehill Smithy, and none of the advice above is working.

I have in override - which I got via NI:
AR0334.TIS
ar0334sr.BMP
ar0334.are
ar0334.MOS
ar0334.WED
ar0334ht.BMP
ar0334lm.BMP

RR3101.ARE
RR3101SR.BMP
RR3101LM.BMP
RR3101HT.BMP
RR3101.WED
RR3101.MOS
RR3101.BCS

Is this right?

Also, the DLTCEP is not working for me. I open it, go to Edit Areas, put RR3101 in the Wedfile field, click Edit Wed--and then what? No files are dropped just by opening this window.

I did a Check Area and get warning: 'Invalid area width (5-80)'

See if either of these will work for you. 1 batch via Ni, 1 batch via dltcep. For dltcep I
a) run dltcep
B) select edit area (are.wed)
c) select file/load area/then select ar0334 with the resolve names & preview boxes checked - press OK
d) AR0334 will be the file listed in the wedfile window
e) click edit wed (opens new box)
f) click edit tiles (opens new box)
g) click save tileset.

As soon as AR0334 is displayed in the wedfile window the .mos, .wed, and the 3 .bmp files should be in your override. The .tis won't get there until the last step.

Attached Files

It takes a village...

#31 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:06 PM

I've tried both ways in DLTCEP. That is - 1)hit edit area, browse tab to AR of your choice (I just typed it in), hit wed button, then edit tile, click preview(shows area), and exit. Then I had only the .tis in the override. 2)If I hit load and the box in the left hand side popped up with all the areas and I loaded AR from that I would end up with bmps,mos, etc stuff in the override.

Of course I am not that familiar with DLTCEP, I am still unable to open the baldur.gam to fix some problems with Edwin...

Good luck!

Edited by maximus2001, 22 May 2007 - 09:12 PM.

#32 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:09 PM

I know I don't know what I am talking about, but I had an idea. Are you guys biffing something that another mod thinks it should be in the override folder?

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#33 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:16 PM

In my case I think the only biffing done was with NEJ biffer, unless something ran with BP177. I have NEJ2, TS, TDD, SOS, ROT, and BP177 (plus some smaller mods).

#34 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:06 AM

I know I don't know what I am talking about, but I had an idea. Are you guys biffing something that another mod thinks it should be in the override folder?

I believe the game is trying to extract the files from one of the vanilla game bifs. Think it is data/AREA03b.bif or something like that.

It takes a village...

#35 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:43 AM

^^Yes, that is correct, it's pulling from the game CD as the BG1 portion of the game doesn't use bifs in \cache\data.

erebusant, thanks very much for the files. The DLTCEP files worked but the N.I. version does not. I noticed that the TIS file is of different sizes, the NI version is smaller.

BTW you used AR0334, K.D. said use RR3101. So does which one correct Arlax, which for Bonehill Smithy, which for both?

UPDATE: I got the same results-- DLTCEP files work, NI ones do not.
So now I'm happy. I can continue playing.

Still... none of this explains root cause of the problem, nor why it's appearing now.

Edited by Azazello, 23 May 2007 - 08:58 AM.

#36 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:56 PM

^^Yes, that is correct, it's pulling from the game CD as the BG1 portion of the game doesn't use bifs in \cache\data.

erebusant, thanks very much for the files. The DLTCEP files worked but the N.I. version does not. I noticed that the TIS file is of different sizes, the NI version is smaller.

BTW you used AR0334, K.D. said use RR3101. So does which one correct Arlax, which for Bonehill Smithy, which for both?

UPDATE: I got the same results-- DLTCEP files work, NI ones do not.
So now I'm happy. I can continue playing.

Still... none of this explains root cause of the problem, nor why it's appearing now.

I think they're different sizes since the dltcep version extracts the file with the header.
AR0334.TIS is used for all 3 areas.
AR0334.other files is used for Bonehill & Cromwell smithy
RR3101.other files is used for Arlax smithy.

It takes a village...

#37 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:15 PM

Here is the one that worked for me for the Arlax smithy.

Attached File  AR0334.rar   235.15K   440 downloads

#38 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:24 PM

Looks like I caught this topic right when I needed it. I have the crash in Arlax now but it is new. I was able to go there earlier but it seems that since I have been to Cromwell's also, I have the crash in Arlax. Just edited via DLTCEP thanx to erebusant's directions and I'll give that a shot. Thanks erebusant.
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#39 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:38 PM

Nope it didn't work. maximus2001 said that his worked for Arlax so do I just change the name to RR3101.ARE from AR0334.ARE? I downloaded his file above but I am a bit bewildered. Do I just plop it in the override?

edit:I also tried erebusant's files and no luck. I understand the DLTCEP process and that failed as well. Another thing that is really bothersome is that now that Pip has his own business, I get fade ins and fade outs in arlax and every area when I leave arlax and that sometimes causes crashes or I just can't see. Even earthquakes in Arlax! What the hell is he making over there?

Update: I still can't do it! I did the DLTCEP stuff and have 6 files:wed, tis, mos, and 3 bmp(s) in the override. Do I have to move them to cache/data or somewhere different? I would realy like to complete the last parts of the mod as I am almost going to TOB. Guess I need closure <_< .

Edited by Hoppy, 17 September 2007 - 07:31 PM.

?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#40 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 10:46 PM

You can put it in override folder. If it doesn't work try the directions from my post from 5/20/07 higher up on this page. Sometimes its tricky, but one way should work.