Photo

Tortured Souls Area TT0305 Causes Crash

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Mar

Mar
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:34 PM

Anyone else have this problem? I installed the Big Picture and followed the instructions to the letter. I haven't had a problem with crashing up until this map and it keeps crashing when it loads the map. Any ideas as to why this problem occurs or is there a way around it that doesn't require using that map?

I tried uploading the file but it said the total uploads were greater than my post count :(. Hopefully i'll get to post it later.

Edited by Mar, 08 November 2006 - 03:37 PM.

#2 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 03:22 AM

the area is loading and then crashing, isn't it? this is an animation conflict - older versions of TS and BP used to crash in this area all the time. the question, though, is why are you getting this crash? and my guess is that yr using TS v6.04.09 rather than TS-BP v6.04.09. a small but crucial error, if i'm correct.

you can fix this without re-installing, but you need to change a creature file. i think, for memory, that it's one of the greater zombies using an illegal animation (or using an animation that BP allocates to a different creature). i don't have TS installed, so i can't tell you exactly which one; nor can i fix it for you. if you can identify the broken creature and upload the file here, i'll correct it for you; however yr going to have to idetify it yrself and to be honest, once you've identified it, correcting it is trivially easy).

otherwise, yr looking at a re-install (using TS-BP) and a new game...

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#3 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 03:41 AM

seanas,

He sent me a copy of the save just before entering the area and it worked just fine on my install. He might have wrong version of TS, but he did say he fallowed directions (we know how that goes). I think something got corupted, I hope clearing his cache and temp dir solves the problem.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#4 Rewiz

Rewiz
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 08:03 AM

This area loads normally and then instantly crashes each time I try to enter it, the same is true if i CLUA into the area. My version of TS is 6.09 for BP. Anyone here had this problema and fixed it or have any idea how i might be able to fix it, already re-downloaded TS and done a complete re-install but still get the same problem. Any help would be really appreciated, thanks.

#5 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:36 AM

Paraphrased from a previous post... Don't know if it'll work but give it a try:

I'm only guessing but try this:

if you already have TT0305.tiS in your override folder, move it to somewhere else - don't delete it. If not, don't sweat it.

from your top-level game folder, you should have a copy of tisunpack.exe. If not, search for it in your game subfolders, it's there somewhere.

Run this command from a DOS command window from wherever tisunpack.exe is located:
tisunpack.exe -s -o override\TT0305.tiS TS\tiz\TT0305.tiZ

#6 Rewiz

Rewiz
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:56 PM

Thanks, just gave that a shot but when i ran that command it just came up with; cannot open TS\tiz\TT0305.tiz. As well TT0305.tis was not in my overide the only TT0305 file present was an ARE file. Could this be part of the problem, any other ideas?

#7 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:36 AM

Do you have a TS\tiz\ folder? TT0305.tiZ inside? If not, then you don't have the right version of TS. You then have to re-install the whole mod.

If you do, then try re-download the mod. Extract it - this will overwrite the existing files - but don't re-install, then try the command above again.

#8 wombulator

wombulator
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:05 PM

Hi,

Apologies for being a newb.

I have exactly the same problem, and have followed the advice above. Including re-download and extracting TS.

I have a TT0305.ARE in my Override folder, but there is no TT0305.tis.

I do have a TT0305.tiz in the TS\tiz\ folder.

The "tisunpack.exe -s -o override\TT0305.tiS TS\tiz\TT0305.tiZ" command gets me a message: "COuldn't open TS\tiz\TT0305.tiZ".

If this is not possible to fix, how do I move my party out of the area (e.g. straight to Brynlaw) as a last resort. Unfortunately I do not have any earlier saves than those in the TS main quest.

Appreciate any advice.

Cheers,

Wombulator

#9 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 09:29 PM

The problem is not due to newbieness, it's lack of understanding how DOS works. Not your fault, or anyone's, it's just the way things are.

To be honest, I don't know of a simple way to explain how to work a DOS window, so just do this:

- search for the file 'tisunpack.exe' somewhere with your game folder or subfolders
- copy it to your top level game folder - the one that contains BGmain.exe
- create a text file with Notepad, copy/paste into it the command given above
- save this file in the same folder with BGmain.ece, call the file WHATEVER.BAT
- double-click this file; it run then disappear really fast
- see if it worked - go to the TT0305 area

All this may not solve the problem, but at least you will have learned how to make a simple batch file.

#10 wombulator

wombulator
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:00 AM

Thanks for that.

The batch file worked, got a flashed message saying 'unpacking 2200 tiles' or something similar, and then it vanished.

Attempted to enter the area, but crashed again:(

Oh well, at least the batch file worked!

So option 2 - if this is unrecoverable - is to transfer the party to Brynlaw and continue the main SoA process. That means I lose Kanchiko, but I would rather that than not be able to continue the game. Advice on that process?

Appreciate your assist.

Wombulator

#11 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 07:29 AM

Before you do that, post the content of your weidu.log. Maybe someone will see a potential mod problem or conflict.

#12 wombulator

wombulator
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 10:02 PM

OK, here it is:

"

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixes
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #1 // BG2 Fixpack - Game Text Update
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #100 // Party Gets XP for Sending Keldorn to Reconcile With Maria
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #101 // Improved Spell Animations
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #104 // Ghreyfain's Holy Symbol Fixes
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #105 // Additional Hero Quests in Trademeet Wait Until Hero is Officially Named
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #106 // Giants Receive Penalties When Attacking Halflings, Dwarves, and Gnomes
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #107 // Remove Dual-Classing Restriction from Archers and Stalkers
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #108 // Remove Second Attribute Bonus for Evil Path in Wrath Hell Trial
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #109 // Corrected Summoned Demon Behavior
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #110 // Additional Script Fixes
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #111 // Bard Song Fixes
~SETUP-TS-BP.TP2~ #0 #0 // TORTURED SOULS v6.09 (BP Compatible Version)
~SETUP-TDD.TP2~ #0 #0 // The Darkest Day, v1.11
~SETUP-TDD.TP2~ #0 #1 // TDD Character Kits
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #0 // Big Picture AI/Enhancement Mod, version 177 weidu (beta)
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #1 // Improved Suldanessallar
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #2 // Improved Spellhold
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #3 // Wand of Orcus Add-In
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #4 // Improved Small Teeth Pass, by Kensai Ryu
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #6 // Kensai Ryu's Improved Crypt King
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #7 // Kensai Ryu's Gnome Fighter/Illusionist in the Docks
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #8 // Improved Random Encounters, by Gebhard Blucher and Kensai Ryu
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #9 // Gebhard Blucher's Lich in the Docks
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #10 // Red Badge, Poison-Based Encounter, by Westley Weimer
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #12 // The Ritual, by Westley Weimer
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #15 // Ascension for BP
~SETUP-BPV177-TOBFIX.TP2~ #0 #0 // BPv177 TOB Trigger Fix
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #10 // Remove Helmet Animations
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #40 // Change Viconia's Skin Color to Dark Blue
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #50 // Avatar Morphing Script
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #60 // Weapon Animation Tweaks
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #120 // Change Avatar When Wearing Robes or Armor (Galactygon)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #130 // Force All Dialogue to Pause Game
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1010 // More Interjections
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1030 // Reveal Wilderness Areas Before Chapter Six
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1050 // Gradual Drow Item Disintegration
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1080 // Add Bags of Holding
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1120 // Stores Sell Higher Stacks of Items
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1160 // Multiple Strongholds (Baldurdash)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2010 // PnP Spell Progression Tables
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2020 // Two-Handed Bastard Swords
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2030 // Two-Handed Katanas
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2040 // Universal Clubs
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2050 // Description Updates for Universal Clubs Component
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2070 // Druids Use Cleric Level and Spell Progression
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2090 // Change Experience Point Cap -> Remove Experience Cap
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2100 // Allow Thieving and Stealth in Heavy Armor
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2110 // Alter Item Descriptions for 'Stealth and Thieving Abilities in Heavy Armor' Component
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2120 // Allow Arcane Spellcasting in Heavy Armor
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2130 // Alter Item Descriptions for 'Allow Arcane Spellcasting in Armor' Component
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2140 // Expanded Dual-Class Options
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2151 // Wear Multiple Protection Items -> No Restrictions
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3012 // Maximum HP for NPCs (the bigg) -> For Party-Joinable NPCs Only
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3050 // Remove fatigue from restoration spells
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3060 // Remove "You Must Gather Your Party..." Sound (Weimer)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3080 // Unlimited Ammo Stacking
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3141 // Faster Chapter 1&2 Cut-Scenes and Dreams -> Non-Silly Version
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3150 // Turn Off The Hideous Cloak-of-Mirroring and Spell-Trap Animation
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3160 // Keep Drizzt's Loot, Disable Malchor Harpell
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3190 // Rest Anywhere (Japheth)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4010 // Improved Fate Spirit Summoning
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4020 // ToB-Style NPCs
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4050 // Change Jaheira to Neutral Good

"

Hope that is the correct hting!

Cheers,

Wombulator

#13 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:08 PM

I just reached that area and I have no probs what-so-ever. And my installation is a lot more complicated.

One last piece of advice: before opening game, delete all files in \cache\data and \temp -- in your main game folder. Then startup game and try to enter area.

#14 morganbg

morganbg
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:02 PM

I just reached that area and I have no probs what-so-ever

Yes, i don't experience any CTD in this area, like you.
One of the differences with the install of wombulator, is that I installed TS-BP after TDD (if that can be useful to some people)

Edited by morganbg, 01 May 2007 - 12:59 AM.

#15 Dog Cavalry

Dog Cavalry
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 10:03 AM

I have the same problem. Azazello, where is this previous post? Is this a known bug? Hm, I guess it must be at least occasionally experienced if there was some discussion about it.

Rewiz, did Azazello's suggestion work?

#16 Dog Cavalry

Dog Cavalry
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 10:21 AM

Mar, did this work? I'm having this problem too.

I've found passing references to this issue in another thread, probably adjacent to this one, since I've just replied to that one too. Interesting that there could be several different problems, all manifesting in this one room.

Seanas, where would I find the creature files for this room. I'm not a modder, but I am persistent and careful, given a prod or two from those who know more than I do.

#17 Dog Cavalry

Dog Cavalry
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:41 PM

Clearing cache and temp dir didn't work for me. Seriously, where do I find the corrupted monster animations. I'll just delete all the monsters from the room, rather than just leave my game gibbled at this point.

Thanks in advance.

#18 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:16 PM

Clearing cache and temp dir didn't work for me. Seriously, where do I find the corrupted monster animations. I'll just delete all the monsters from the room, rather than just leave my game gibbled at this point.

Thanks in advance.

Do you know how to use Near Infinity? Open the TT0305.ARE file with it and all of the Creatures in the area will be listed. They're the "Actors" in the file,,,

It takes a village...

#19 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:36 AM

this used to be a problem with older versions of BP and TS (ie, BP pre-v171). it was being caused by an animation incompatibility caused by TS. the specific creature was GZOMBIE.cre, using animation ic_histachii. changing this to another animation (eg: ic_mummy) fixed the problem. i would suggest this as the course of action for any player experiencing this issue (you'll need NI or DLTCEP to make these changes).

the real question, for my mind, is why is this problem reappearing now? to the best of my (admittedly outdated) knowledge, there hasnt been a new TS-BP released (but note that users installing TS will experience this crash: this is why TS-BP exists in the first place). if those ppl experiencing this are using TS-BP, then the question is which other mod is altering animations?

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling

#20 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:43 AM

as i posted on the other topic concerning this crash: it's almost certainly caused by GZOMBIE.cre using an incorrect animation. correcting this in the way i describe in the other post (and then re-entering TT0305, after clearing the cache and temp folders) will result in yr game playing normally.

the real question is 'what is causing the return of this bug', and i'd be a little surprised if it wasnt down to a TS instead of TS-BP install.