Photo

mod installation - a question

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 m5000

m5000
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:25 PM

i've just downloaded the SoS mod v1.11 - the files are in a rar archive - is there a particular folder that i need to copy the files from the archive before installation or it doesn't matter?

#2 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:29 PM

Into the folder where your BG2 is installed.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#3 m5000

m5000
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 01:35 AM

what is CtB and NEJ2?

#4 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 01:47 AM

CTB: http://www.shsforums...p?showforum=196

NeJ you shouldnt use with the mega install.

ronin

#5 m5000

m5000
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 02:44 AM

ok, i've compiled a list of mods i'd like to install:

1. BG2 fixpack v1
2. SoS v1.11
3. TDD v1.11
4. CtB v1.8
5. Tortured Souls for BP v6.09
6. Reign of Terror v2.0
7. Baldur's Gate Trilogy v1.02
8. Dark Side of the Sword Coast v1.85
9. Northern Tales of the Sword Coast v1.45
10. Secret of Bonehill v2.05
11. Big Picture v177
12. BG2 Tweaks v3
13. DEFJAM XP fixer v3
14. BP-BGT Worldmap v6.3

could someone perhaps suggest other decent mods that were compatible with the list, safe to install and where to put them in the list? i don't want to install tons of mods, but maybe there are a few others worth installing improving the game and adding new stuff, especially on BG1 map

regards

#6 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 03:07 AM

Chores v2.0 to make CtB playable at start.

Deeper Shadows of Amn

SCSBGT_v4.1

1pp-v2 for better graphics

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#7 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 03:14 AM

D0Questpack (at PPG)
D0Tweaks (at PPG)

and if you want alternate classes get these mods from G3

spstuff
song and silence
sword and fist
divine remix

ronin

#8 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 04:39 AM

and i'll suggest some NPCs and NPC-PC content:

Saerileth and Fade (at CoM); Keto (at PPG); Kivan at G3; the Imoen Romance at Imoen.org; and the banterpack and flirtpack from PPG.

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#9 m5000

m5000
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:43 AM

Chores v2.0 to make CtB playable at start.

Deeper Shadows of Amn

SCSBGT_v4.1

1pp-v2 for better graphics

by Chores v2.0 do you mean the fix that is avaulable here? ---> http://www.shsforums...showtopic=21673

#10 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:30 AM

by Chores v2.0 do you mean the fix that is avaulable here? ---> http://www.shsforums...showtopic=21673

no, CtB Chores v2 can be downloaded here. the Chores FastForward can be downloaded here.

as i understand it, Chores v2 makes the first part of CtB - the chores part - playable; Chores FastForward allows you to skip the chores entirely.

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling

#11 m5000

m5000
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:16 AM

no, CtB Chores v2 can be downloaded here. the Chores FastForward can be downloaded here.

as i understand it, Chores v2 makes the first part of CtB - the chores part - playable; Chores FastForward allows you to skip the chores entirely.

i don't really want to install Chores FastForward, but i have now the following files: CtBv1.8, CtBXPFix (has to do with experience cap), Setup-CtB-Chores (Chores v2?), and Chores_for_G3FixPack_Fix (has to do with G3 FixPack)

i'm a bit confused, could someone suggest the right installation order?

-------------------
in Setup-CtB-Chores there is this file: Setup-CtB-Chores.tp2, but the same file seems to be in CtBv1.8 - inside there are Ctb folder, Setup-Ctb.exe, Setup-Ctb.tp2, AND Setup-CtB-Chores.tp2.

Edited by m5000, 29 November 2006 - 10:26 AM.

#12 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:59 AM

i don't really want to install Chores FastForward, but i have now the following files: CtBv1.8, CtBXPFix (has to do with experience cap), Setup-CtB-Chores (Chores v2?), and Chores_for_G3FixPack_Fix (has to do with G3 FixPack)

i'm a bit confused, could someone suggest the right installation order?

-------------------
in Setup-CtB-Chores there is this file: Setup-CtB-Chores.tp2, but the same file seems to be in CtBv1.8 - inside there are Ctb folder, Setup-Ctb.exe, Setup-Ctb.tp2, AND Setup-CtB-Chores.tp2.

I believe the CtB Chores component is just that, a seperate component that can either be installed or not depending upon whether you want to take advantage of the innate abilities you can gain by playing through that component. After you extract the CtB v1.8 rar archive and go to install CtB you will automatically be given the opportunity to install "Chores" or not upon completion of the installation and biffing of the Core CtB components. The only thing that occurs if you do not install "Chores" is you won't be arbitrarily transported back in time to Candlekeep and be subjugated to performing your childhood chores time and time and time again. You will still be able to play the CtB mod core quests as you come to them during the BG2-SoA portion of your game, you just won't have the innate spells you would have gained by playing through the "Chores" component.

Edited by erebusant, 29 November 2006 - 11:00 AM.

It takes a village...

#13 m5000

m5000
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:05 AM

fair enough

but there is still this Chores_for_G3FixPack_Fix i'm supposied to install if i'm using G3 FixPack

so, shall i copy the contents of Ctbv1.8 into BGII folder and then copy the conents of this Chores_for_G3FixPack_Fix (i think they will overwrite some of the Ctbv1.8 files), and then install?

---

by the way, is G3 FixPack the same as the latest BG2 Fixpack by the Gibberlings three, becasue i have the latter?

Edited by m5000, 29 November 2006 - 11:10 AM.

#14 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:14 AM

fair enough

but there is still this Chores_for_G3FixPack_Fix i'm supposied to install if i'm using G3 FixPack

so, shall i copy the contents of Ctbv1.8 into BGII folder and then copy the conents of this Chores_for_G3FixPack_Fix (i think they will overwrite some of the Ctbv1.8 files), and then install?

Chores for G3 Fixpack Fix is a replacement Chores.tp2 only. It just replaces the regular Chores.tp2 that comes with the v1.8 rar archive and is to be used if you happen to have the G3 Fixpack installed instead of it's predecessor which was Baldurdash v1.5.

Regardless of which one you have installed, I avoid the Chores like the plague because frankly, they are boring, mundane, a real pain in the ass to play through, take way too much game time, and aren't really worth it for the innate abilities you pick up. It's your choice, but I'd avoid installing it, period.

Edited by erebusant, 29 November 2006 - 12:06 PM.

It takes a village...

#15 m5000

m5000
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:41 AM

one silly question - when do i start the chores component? if i start the game from the beginning and have BGT, will i start the chores at the very beginning of the game when i'm inexperienced in Candlekeep (this would make sense), or when i have killed sarevok and i'am starting SoA?

thanks for the answer

Edited by m5000, 29 November 2006 - 10:45 PM.

#16 m5000

m5000
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:45 PM

by the way - what are these chores, could someone give 1-2 examples?

is chores the same as 'The "tutorial" area of Candlekeep' mentioned in the mod readme?

Edited by m5000, 29 November 2006 - 10:55 PM.

#17 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 01:46 AM

by the way - what are these chores, could someone give 1-2 examples?

the chores are precisely that: chores, such as milking the cows... half a dozen times... once per hour (real-time hour, not in-game hour). interesting idea from a role-playing perspective; total nightmare from a gameplay perspective. the chores start at the beginning of BG2 - so you finish BG1, get transported to the dungeon - then get transported back to Candlekeep to milk some cows. and when you've finally finished them, yr back in the dungeon.

#18 m5000

m5000
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:59 AM

one more question

let's assume that i have installed a number of mods, and played a little and saved, and then i want to change the mods, perhaps use new, updated versions and add a few new ones i didn' use earlier and reinstall everything - will i still be able to use my old save?

#19 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:00 PM

one more question

let's assume that i have installed a number of mods, and played a little and saved, and then i want to change the mods, perhaps use new, updated versions and add a few new ones i didn' use earlier and reinstall everything - will i still be able to use my old save?

In general, no. Especially if you add mods you didn't use before. Then the answer is definately no. The only possibility to re-use a save game is if you update a previously installed mod that doesn't have any effect on the WM, doesn't make any changes to it's dialogs, and then you re-install everything in exactly the same order and do exactly the same things during your install process. Then you might be able to re-use a save game with few problems, but more than likely your best bet is to restart your game.

It takes a village...

#20 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:57 PM

You need Hublepot.

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.