Undead

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:12 AM

I'm planning on playing one character through the exp and one through the main campaign. Now I want to do a Cleric for one and so I was wondering, which game original or expansions(SoU and HotU) has more undead.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#2 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:18 PM

I'm pretty sure the original game has the most undead, followed by SoU.

#3 Kellen

Kellen

• 7092 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:41 PM

Thanks.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

#4 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:45 PM

No problem. :)

#5 MorningGlory

MorningGlory
  • 796 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:25 PM

As I recall, Archie is correct.. :) Loads of 'em in lots of crypts, etc., sprinkled throughout NW1. Feisty little undead, too, if I remember correctly.

#6 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 07:19 AM

Yep... there certainly are lots of them. I have this theory that the developers were so fascinated by them, that they just had to put in staggering amounts of them... the plague in the original campaign was developed as an excuse to make the campaign map crawling with undead. :lol:

#7 MorningGlory

MorningGlory
  • 796 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 04:29 PM

That, and the developers' fascination with watching paladins go around turning the undead. ;) As I recall, it was a glorious spell complete with a blast of celestial light and a heavenly chorus from off-stage ethereals, or some such. It made one feel downright holy when casting the spell.. :lol: NWN2's turn undead doesn't seem quite as... dramatic. Maybe they saved all the real theatrics for the Divine Champion and its 'Smite Infidel'. (That spell certainly sounds important, doesn't it?)

#8 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 06:13 PM

Yeah, they're seriously fixated on these holy-goody-two-shoes... :D

/divine champion: smite infidel

/infidel: protest, prove that I'm an infidel

/divine champion: hrm? BASH!!!!

/infidel: die

/[DM]: rejoice, for the light has won! [divine champion receives 1000 light side points]

:lol:

#9 MorningGlory

MorningGlory
  • 796 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 06:17 AM

I tried to institute a proper cheat by putting into the console, "giveitem compassion_understanding" but was met with the reply of "Compassion and understanding not recognized as pole is too far up Lawful Good's behind and cannot be removed without critical hit damage. Try Chaotic, but don't expect any answers." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Note to noob players: That is not a bonafide cheat code -- only a very bad attempt at humor at the expense of the developers who have continued to perpetuate the paladunce effect.

Oops.. drifted off topic... sorry 'bout that.. :D Back to undead, which in many cases are far more interesting than most of the living Lawful Good running about Faerun.. :wacko:

#10 Kellen

Kellen

• 7092 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 07:01 AM

I find it incredibly sad that most paladins seem more LN than LG. The aspects of mercy and compassion seem to be dropped in favor of "I am good, you are bad, die!" If I ever play a paladin it will have to be a Knight of the Merciful Sword or similar in attitude.

As for undead, it seems that there are nearly as many undead (varieties, in all DnD) as there are other monsters combined. Why is that?

#11 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 07:57 AM

I tried to institute a proper cheat by putting into the console, "giveitem compassion_understanding" but was met with the reply of "Compassion and understanding not recognized as pole is too far up Lawful Good's behind and cannot be removed without critical hit damage. Try Chaotic, but don't expect any answers." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Note to noob players: That is not a bonafide cheat code -- only a very bad attempt at humor at the expense of the developers who have continued to perpetuate the paladunce effect.

Oops.. drifted off topic... sorry 'bout that.. :D Back to undead, which in many cases are far more interesting than most of the living Lawful Good running about Faerun.. :wacko:

I agree, undead are often more interesting... that's why spellcasters become liches, not holy ghosts. :P :lol:

I find it incredibly sad that most paladins seem more LN than LG. The aspects of mercy and compassion seem to be dropped in favor of "I am good, you are bad, die!" If I ever play a paladin it will have to be a Knight of the Merciful Sword or similar in attitude.

As for undead, it seems that there are nearly as many undead (varieties, in all DnD) as there are other monsters combined. Why is that?

Well... the devs kinda figured that every other creature than undead can die, so they can just make undead orcs or whatever out of them then... :D That's why undead are the most dominant creature category.

#12 MorningGlory

MorningGlory
  • 796 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 06:26 PM

I just always thought they were environmentally 'aware,' and, therefore, into recycling. You know.... soda cans, glass jars, newspapers, and dead bodies!! :lol: :P Waste not, want not!

But, seriously, if the evil of the realm had nothing better to look forward to than the Abyss or some cozy corner of the Nine Hells, then becoming an undead might not be such a bad alternative. As for the non-believers, same thing is true -- become an undead, or get walled up in Kelemvor's home plane to be absorbed into it after a few millenia. Ewwwww... Doesn't look like much of a choice in either case. :lol: