Photo

Just Curious

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Just Curious (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you played Beyond the Law before?

1. Yes (10 votes [31.25%])

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

2. No (17 votes [53.12%])

Percentage of vote: 53.12%

3. Partially (5 votes [15.62%])

Percentage of vote: 15.62%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:38 AM

Just Curious :)

For those who have played before, can give some comments.
Those who have not can say Why they have not and What they're looking for in a Mod :)
Those who have played partially can say Where they stopped and Why they stopped.

Thanks!

Edited by K'aeloree, 13 February 2007 - 02:51 AM.

kiyos.jpg____btlbn2.gif____kovaS.jpg
Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?
SoA Release - Overview / Download Links

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...
Spellhold Gauntlet - more than just a Spellhold-Be-Gone
Hidden Kits - hidden dual-classed kits with a twist for progression

#2 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:55 AM

I played BtL to the fight with Seida and a bit beyond, IIRC, but its a bit hazy now. As I recall, it was wonderfully written - loved the character development especially, just adored it. Love the way they slowly unfold during the course of the game, and how they change.

Though the dialogue did get confusing, at times, it was always interesting and informative. Sometimes it did feel more like prose than dialogue, which annoyed me a little, but it didn't stop me from loving it.

I really liked the scene with Kharen, though I wasn't about to give up Kova and guessed she was guilty from the evidence I'd collected and guessed about, I was actually a little tempted.

I can't wait to play it again, but I'll only do so when the ToB section is released, so... ;)

#3 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:58 AM

No, but I plan to, when I get back to playing again.

I started playing unmodified BG2, then added a couple mods, like Kelsey and Xan. Then I heard about EasyTutu and decided to try that . I got hooked on the BG1 NPC project, got sucked into Tutu modding, and haven't played BG2 in ages.

I plan to try it when I start doing research for my IEP contribution and for Gavin BG2.

Edited by BGhead, 13 February 2007 - 05:23 AM.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#4 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:21 AM

I started playing it and probably would have continued had not my installation gone to crap on me.

ronin

**edit**

call me an idiot, i deserve it. I didnt even see the option for partially till I already posted.

Edited by ronin69hof, 13 February 2007 - 04:22 AM.

#5 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:47 AM

I voted no. When I realized it was out I had no BG install. I also don't like SoA only mods, if they have ToB coming. I wait for the ToB stuff.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#6 pro5

pro5
  • Modder
  • 722 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:51 AM

It's on my list of mods to try, but I have little time to play atm.

#7 Fey

Fey
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:52 AM

I played it before, and I'll start a second run as soon as my exams are over.
I really enjoyed the quest and how the plot and the characters develop as the game proceeds. The talks deal with topics that weren't discussed over and over in several other mods yet, and I liked some of the 'sidekick talks', especially all the cooking stuff was really fun.
I can't say it often enough: I love the quest. It's really challenging, and for a change, you have to use your brains to eventually solve it. Extremely refreshing, though the BTL plot tends to dictate the way you have to play sometimes.

Fey

#8 Bookwyrme

Bookwyrme
  • Modder
  • 5804 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:04 PM

I plan to, but I keep test-running other NPC's & with BTL having to start so early & all...

Mods: <a data-cke-saved-href="http://www.shsforums...-auroras-shoes/">Aurora's Shoes (released),

#9 Myst

Myst
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:54 PM

Yes, I've played it, more times that I care to count. :) I was an Alpha tester on this mod, so I played it over and over again.

I've just started another run through after a long break from the BG series and, so far, I'm enjoying it immensely (again).

This time, while enjoying the interplay between Kiyo and Kova, I'm also looking for any grammar errors, typos, etc that slipped between the cracks before this release.

#10 TheWizard

TheWizard
  • 354 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:25 PM

It's on my list of mods to try, but I have little time to play atm.

Ditto. Not to worry, I will get around to BTL one of these days. :)

Original Characters and Creatures - http://www.iegmc.org/dnd

#11 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:57 PM

Partially. I tested it with Xan, since BTL, together with UB, is one of the two mods that play with AsylumPlot variable. I didn't proceed, though: I find that I'm unable to complete the game, if I don't feel comfortable with my party. So I reinstalled.

#12 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:21 PM

To my knowledge, BTL doesn't actually modify the AsylumPlot variable, though it does make use of it to evoke some NPC responses. From what I read it would seem that Kova and Kiyone make you feel uncomfortable, is that one of the reasons?

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...

#13 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:46 PM

Strange: I definitely remember there was
SetGlobal("AsylumPlot","GLOBAL",something) there. I'm not hallucinating, really... I mean, I hope I don't... *downloading*

... Yes, you have more than one SetGlobal("AsylumPlot","GLOBAL",**), mostly in EXTEND_BOTTOM commands, where you add your own reactions. I was(and am) afraid it can lead to potential incompatibilities, if, say, another mod would like to set a variable then and there, and add it to all states, and BTL is installed afterwards.

When I say uncomfortable around the characters, I mean I didn't feel for them either way, and most importantly, I didn't get the impression that they cared about my PC either way, either - so we really couldn't do anything for each other. :) I don't think the writing is to blame, though - any faults I could name, Xan has the same ones in abundance.

#14 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:00 AM

OK I think I know which ones you are referring to... I believe they are Saemon Havarian, Slayer etc related settings, where by interjecting or whatsoever, the variable still has to be changed. Basically none of them are changed because of my mod, but just because I extended a Bioware response but still have to execute the commands to move the BG2 storyline onwards. And yes I understand that it might cause complications :)

Both Kova & Kiyone seem rather detached in some personality sense (except for when it comes to arguing), even in their PC Banters (esp the Slayer-related dialogue), so I understand your sentiments regarding them :) no trouble, I respect that.

#15 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:46 AM

I like the mod, as it is always nice to have a fresh mage/thief story line, but it gets a little overwhelming having my 1 week to find his evidence go by so fast and all the while getting raped by the shadow thieves who show up to kill me, and since they cast magic every time the cowled bastards are right behind them.. i often find my self running away because at my level i just cant hang with that and i dont want to cntrl Y them ( I have horrids AI/ tactics installed. But thats the only complaint i have good job i cant wait until i find more evidence.

#16 -katling-

-katling-

Posted 27 March 2007 - 06:42 PM

Downloaded it a while back, but have yet to install and play it.

I'm certainly looking forward to the mod; by far, it seems one of the most intriguing, original mods out there - my only issue is that I play a heavily modded game, and at the moment am trying out various other NPC mods most of which require me to start an independent game(s) for each to get the full value out of them. Kelsey, Chloe, Valen and Tsujatha are the features of the moment.

But still, most definately looking forward to it.

#17 Galsic

Galsic

Nominal Member

• 384 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:47 PM

I also don't like SoA only mods, if they have ToB coming. I wait for the ToB stuff.

^I'm with him.^ Though I did try it out a little.
(I like parentheses.)

#18 Federico

Federico
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:49 AM

I played it once and it was very good,hope to see a Tob part at some time.
But maybe it would be a good idea to make a chance for PC to have more romantic feelings for her.I think it would make sense for the PC to help Kova and Kiyone so much,and it is much help with all the attacks of the Shadows and the cowled, if he he has romantic feelings for her ,even if he knows she loves Kova.Or for the female players the same with Kova.

Edited by Federico, 09 April 2007 - 08:10 AM.

#19 Suspiria

Suspiria
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 09:27 AM

I haven't played it yet, though I might when TOB content is released. I had been, back in the Chosen of Mystra days, keeping an eye on this mod, but after the whole exodus from COM to here, I lost sight of all the mods I was watching, because I had taken a short break from BGII while all that was going on, so when I came back to the game and the various forums, I didn't know where anything was anymore. Took me awhile to find out. lol

Anyway, I am curious about it, but reluctant, because I get the impression from the description that my PC might wind up feeling like a third wheel, and the description makes it sound like they couldn't give a rat's tail one way or the other that they are in a party lead by the half-divine child of an evil god who has serious problems and concerns of his/her own. My PCs always appreciate when their party members have concerns on some level about what they (the PC) are going through as they are 1) the child of a dead god, 2) have been hunted and betrayed at every turn 3) have to deal with a terrible taint in their very blood 4) are desperately searching for a way to rescue their beloved childhood friend/sister and might really be feeling her absence in a big way 5) have been brutally tortured and physically violated 6) are dealing with the terrible and brutal deaths of close friends and allies and the desire for revenge against the killer/torturer.

The description doesn't really give me much to go on as to how the twp NPCs feel about the PC and if they even feel anything about him/her at all. If I play the mod and find that they care nothing for her/him even as a friend or even foe and have little to say about all that the PC is experiencing and has experienced, I will feel frustrated and they will seem to my PC like horrible people indeed. I suppose to find out for certain, I will have to actually DL, install and play the mod. lol
Posted Image

#20 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:04 AM

1) the child of a dead god, 2) have been hunted and betrayed at every turn 3) have to deal with a terrible taint in their very blood 4) are desperately searching for a way to rescue their beloved childhood friend/sister and might really be feeling her absence in a big way 5) have been brutally tortured and physically violated 6) are dealing with the terrible and brutal deaths of close friends and allies and the desire for revenge against the killer/torturer.

Oh this they do. Kova is probably the Only NPC that I know of to actually ask you, how exactly is killing Irenicus going to give you your soul back? Since you probably don't have a laboratory like he does.. and is kililng Irenicus really a good idea anyway? If its your soul you want.

Kiyone is probably one of the few NPCs I know of that actually asks you, how would you like the party to deal with you when you're a Slayer? Run or try to kill / subdue you.

Both of them also ask if they expect to see more of the Slayer, if you intend to harness or banish it for good.

Anyway, their banters on the respective subjects are separate - Kova and Kiyone both talk to you independant of each other. Both being rather private individuals, they only start really buzzing you about it after the events become obviously affecting them - ie after they have been imprisoned by Irenicus.

Both also acknowledge that they heard of your heritage but chose to pass it off as myth tacked on by bards of your exploits, so to speak. Probably again, the only NPCs who actually are skeptical enough to do so. I for one do not understand why so many other NPCs accept your heritage as it is - if you were to tell them that prior to Spellhold, they'd probably just laugh it off, not believing in such stuff.

As for Imoen, Kiyone will comment it seems strange to leave her behind if you choose to do so, and volunteer to leave the party to make room for her.

As for you being hunted, Kova many many many times alludes to perhaps you should jus leave him behind and take care of your own problems, he doesn't add to your troubles. Among his first banters he also comments as to him being surprised about being in your fame, and how he does not understand why you do not try to be more discreet, or some meaning like that. I don't think many Mod NPCs actually say something like "You know, you're pretty famous to be travelling with," although Kova manages, in his special way, to make compliments sound less.. flattering.

Edited by Zyraen, 19 May 2007 - 10:07 AM.