• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 04:28 PM

I'd like to give a big welcome to Tempest and his Darian NPC, who I'm sure will be a wonderful addition to the NPCs of SHS!

Darian is one of the Avariel, the wary and isolationist winged elves that produced Aerie. He is one of the Talons, an elite order of Avariel warriors that are in many ways the Avariel equivalent of paladins, though the Talons also have much in common with human rangers. He was sent to Myrrhavin to investigate rumors of an Avariel imprisoned within the city, and if appropriate and necessary, effect a rescue. If Charname approaches him, he will request his/her assistance, and afterwards will offer to repay his debt of honor by helping Charname rescue Imoen.

For those who haven't been following his development thread prior to this forum, Darian is a closely guarded individual with xenophobic tendencies-he is extremely wary of non-Avariel in general and humans in particular, though he is somewhat more willing to trust halflings. This is deeply tied to the history of the Avariel-a history I created for Avariel in pen and paper, and now use for Darian, given the paucity of any official information of them. I am taking something of a creative license with their history and culture as well, both of which are important to understanding Darian as a character.

Aside from his extreme distrust of non-Avariel, Darian is bound first and foremost by duty-he is a sworn defender of Myrrhavin, and will go to any lengths to secure Myrrhavin's security and secrecy from other races, which can at times lead to Lawful Neutral behavior-he can and has done questionable things in the name of duty, and tends to take a cold-hearted view of other races. He will openly admit that he is prepared to take deadly action against Charname and the rest of the party if he judges it absolutely necessary for the security of his home.

Despite all of this, Darian is a good man at heart-he does have a clearly defined sense of right and wrong (albeit somewhat twisted, given his distinct tendency towards an "Us or Them" mentality), and will gradually come to trust and respect Charname and [most of] the party over the course of SoA, and in ToB, he will fully accept the party as his friends and comrades.

You can check out Darian's forum here, and find out more about him here!

:cheers:

#2 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 05:08 PM

Thank you for the welcome! Darian is my very first effort at creating a mod npc-I had no idea what I was starting when I suggested Darian in the mod ideas section. Progress is brisk, though, and odds are, Darian will be ready for beta testing before I know it. :)

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri