#1 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:26 AM

Posted Image
#7 Challenge:
Solar
Deadline: Friday, 4th May (Notice: TWO WEEKS)
Post your piece in this topic!

Hello everyone, and welcome to the seventh (bi-Weekly) Fanart Challenge! Yes, bi-weekly, because this very challenge starts an improved system. It was discussed in this post, but I'll quote the conclusion here so that everyone understands.

1) Keep the deadlines, but extend them to two weeks.
2) When the deadline has come, I'll make a post stating that the entries coming after this aren't counted in the stats.
3) Late entries can be and will be posted in the topics themselves to make browsing easier. If you want to see Jaheira, you go to her topic and there they all are! Late entries will not be counted to the stats, so that gives motivation to participate during the challenge itself.
4) New system starts today, with the seventh challenge. Gasp!

If you have questions, ask. I'll update the FAQ post, soon too.

Now that we have that out of the way, we can move on to the actual challenge. This time the subject is Solar, our tutor friend from ToB! Every time I play through ToB I think how cool she is. Your mission, private, is to illustrate your tutor, the deva. It can of course be a scene from the game or outside the game, it can be a character concept, what ever suits you! If someone is going wtf!Solar, this site might help you. The first two drawings are official concept art pieces of her.

As you all know, medium is free! As long as it's your own, anything from pencil to oils, from MS Paint to Photoshop to Poser goes. Make a portrait for her! Make a character concept! Illustrate the scene where you first meet her! What ever suits you will suit us. :D

Edited by Ilmatar, 23 August 2007 - 01:40 AM.

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#2 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 05:11 AM

Argh argh argh, "yay", my "favourite" character from the entire series. Joy. >_<

...oh well, I don't see anything saying I can't draw her in pieces. :devil:

#3 Orthodoxia

Orthodoxia
  • 853 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 07:43 AM

I don't know what I was on when I drew this but there she is ^_^
Weapons and armor got lost along the way - in other words: I hate drawing them <_<

EDIT: It wasn't meant to be so I swear. I sketched it and I thought 'nice sketch, let's ink it', when I inked it it was 'nice, let's try ruining it in by coloring it'. So here she is, the Solar, collecting taint of some random bhaalspawn. Pitiful amount don't you think?

And cudos to IronOx for supply of color. I was bashing my head against the wall until I spotted his cute little sprite :D

Solar.jpg

Edited by Orthodoxia, 21 April 2007 - 08:17 AM.

Dear gamer! You cannot summon Spirits of Rage when fighting bosses. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please send all complaints to Undead Control Administration, Bosses Combat Department, and apply for revision of the Endoria combat regulations. - King?s Bounty, the Legend
Posted Image

#4 IronOx

IronOx

Pyongs owns all

• 124 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 07:32 PM

Wings are a pain to create in snes-sized sprites but I think I didn't do all that bad. So here she is, the Solar!

Solar.png
'The only way to get thru this gate is to go thru me first!' -Tadakatsu

#5 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 07:53 PM

Ooh, wow, I love the wings on both of them! :D Orthodoxia, your style reminds me a bit of the old Hercules cartoon - which is, admittedly, one of my favourite styles ever. :D

IronOx - fantastic, as usual! :D

#6 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 07:55 PM

My first thought was pompoms. :D

Can solar do pompoms?

The second was some really stinking huge fireballs.

But yes, they work as well as wings as a sprite can.

And good job so far everyone! With all the challenges really.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#7 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 02:14 PM

Poor creature, she really did turn out quite horribly... Everything was goíng well enough with the clothes and the armor pieces... But...
Ack, I failed to make an original face for her so I had to borrow a used one... *sigh*

Really horrible, now why am I even posting this, it's only a bunch of effects huddled together to hide the lousy "artwork" anyway... :P

EDIT And i certainly wasn't aiming for the "saint pose" you now see ...

Posted Image

Edited by WeeRLegion, 21 April 2007 - 02:17 PM.

#8 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 03:10 PM

Oh. My. God. I'm *loving* the colored version of Orthodoxia's Solar! Very stylish! I admit that in my still unfinished painting I ditched the armor, too, and gave her a golden and white outfit instead. All that really remains to be done are the wings, but THEY ARE KILLING ME. I've never really drawn wings before.

WeeRLegion - fantastic job! I think the pose fits her really well, and the bright colors give her a feel of holyness, somehow. Her legs are really short, though, if you'd make them longer, that would be one kick ass illustration of Solar.

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#9 Jazhara7

Jazhara7
  • 715 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:16 AM

Ooh, hi. I'm new, but I've been reading the Challenge for some time now, and now I wanted to join in. Orthodoxia probably knows me already.

Anyway, I've been in an evil chibi (because, let's face it. Chibies are evil incarnate.) mood, so I have drawn a Chibi Solar. It did not take long, 10 minutes at most, most of it trying to get the colouring to look at least decent. So here it is: Chibi!Solar.

Posted Image

I'm not sure what she's doing with her hands. I intended to draw her cracking her fingers, in a "let's do it!" gesture...but then I remembered, Chibies don't have fingers. So I don't know what she's doing. Maybe she's embarrassed. Maybe she's just adjusting her bra.

I couldn't remember which haircolour she had. I thought the portrait had red hair, though, so here she has red hair.

Oh, and that's the cheap version of a medieval halo. I would have to draw a lot more tiny spokes to get the full version, but on a Chibi, I think this works much better.

*ducks and hides from flying tomatos*

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Edited by Jazhara7, 22 April 2007 - 03:17 AM.

Hey, are you hungry?

I Hate Elminster!
(proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#10 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:22 AM

*ducks and hides from flying tomatos*

If we have flying tomatoes here, they have wings and they are generally quite happy little tomatoes who wish no harm to anyone. :D Your chibi was way cute! Thank for participating, and welcome to SHS! :hug:

#11 Orthodoxia

Orthodoxia
  • 853 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:07 AM

Ooh, hi. I'm new, but I've been reading the Challenge for some time now, and now I wanted to join in. Orthodoxia probably knows me already.

Anyway, I've been in an evil chibi (because, let's face it. Chibies are evil incarnate.) mood, so I have drawn a Chibi Solar. It did not take long, 10 minutes at most, most of it trying to get the colouring to look at least decent. So here it is: Chibi!Solar.

Helooo Jazhara! Finally deiced to join in on the fun, have you? And with a cute -yet evil- looking chibi who suspiciously looks like she had gotten her fingerless hands on my secret stash of chocolate :D

And you're right, chibies are evil incarnate (which is precisely why I draw them constantly) :P

Edited by Orthodoxia, 22 April 2007 - 06:08 AM.

Dear gamer! You cannot summon Spirits of Rage when fighting bosses. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please send all complaints to Undead Control Administration, Bosses Combat Department, and apply for revision of the Endoria combat regulations. - King?s Bounty, the Legend
Posted Image

#12 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:53 AM

I fail @ wings. :crying: I tried like a million different types of wings but nothing worked out. I gave up and decided these will have to do. Also, blue skin + glowy golden eyes = murder. </complain mode>

Otherwise my Solar turned out to be the kind that atleast most male protagonists would not complain when summoned to the pocket plane byt her, in the middle of a huge fight. :D

Attached Images

• solar.jpg

#13 Orthodoxia

Orthodoxia
  • 853 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:11 AM

So beautiful!!! :woot:

I wish I had the patience to make something like that. Especially that corset-thingy, so detailed. As for the wings, I think she actually looks better this way.
Posted Image

#14 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:14 AM

Huh, something wrong with the wings? Those wings rule, wonderful colors there! Definitely pwnz0r. :coolthumb:
They seem a bit different in style from the rest of the image, but I wouldn't complain. :Bow:

And the chibi is just awfully cute! Certainly worthy of a parrot mark. :new_thumbs:

And Orthodoxia, the shapes are great; with my drawings the shapes are pretty much always somewhat off the mark, and i focus on either color of humor value, but you've got some really nice and defined drawing going on there! :D
The colorization works well too.

Hmm... Pixelart... Well, you know, it's good. It's just so far from what I myself hobby around with; what can I say about it? :unsure:
But yehh, it's good. ^_^

Edited by WeeRLegion, 22 April 2007 - 09:15 AM.

#15 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:25 PM

I fail @ wings. :crying: I tried like a million different types of wings but nothing worked out. I gave up and decided these will have to do. Also, blue skin + glowy golden eyes = murder. </complain mode>

Otherwise my Solar turned out to be the kind that atleast most male protagonists would not complain when summoned to the pocket plane byt her, in the middle of a huge fight. :D

Great Solar Pic :) Actually I have a Solar-ish picture requirement based off an NPC portrait :) Should I link you to it via PM or put up a request directly in Sol Ek Sa ?

kiyos.jpg____btlbn2.gif____kovaS.jpg
Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?
SoA Release - Overview / Download Links

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...
Spellhold Gauntlet - more than just a Spellhold-Be-Gone
Hidden Kits - hidden dual-classed kits with a twist for progression

#16 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:34 PM

Yeah, blue skin is murder. Don't know if it's going to happen here. I keep coming up with something that looks like it's been dead a while. Ick.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#17 Jazhara7

Jazhara7
  • 715 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 12:37 AM

I'm glad there's no malevolent flying tomatoes here, then.

Thanks everyone, I am glad that you like my little chibi.

Oh, and Ilmatar, don't worry. You're not the only one who fails at wings (in my case specifically feathered wings. For some reason I still keep drawing them, though.). But I think the wings you've drawn look great, and it works really well with the picture. Oh, and I like the reflection of the light from the wings on her skin!

Helooo Jazhara! Finally deiced to join in on the fun, have you? And with a cute -yet evil- looking chibi who suspiciously looks like she had gotten her fingerless hands on my secret stash of chocolate :D

And you're right, chibies are evil incarnate (which is precisely why I draw them constantly) :P

Yes, I have. And you're right, she looks like she's rubbing her tummy after a chocolate raid. Crumbs, we really have to hide that stuff in a better place than the pocket plane. :D

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Hey, are you hungry?

I Hate Elminster!
(proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#18 Neferit

Neferit

In the name of Gaider, we fight!

• 414 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 12:57 AM

Hm, as I see all these pictures, I'm beginning to thinking about not posting anything to this challenge - you know, playing the fool from myself is not my favorite activity -_- :wacko:

Nice work, everyone.
Heck no, b - I used the word the way I use things like "twitter", and "iPod" - my first inclination is to ask "what birdcall are you studying?" and I think of "I pod, You (singular) pod, He pods, She pods, They pod, You (plural) pod, We pod..."

Writings ►☼◄ Visual Shiny Pretties ►☼◄ Another Writings

►☼◄

You think you still have some brain in your head?

►☼◄►☼◄

#19 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:01 AM

Great Solar Pic :) Actually I have a Solar-ish picture requirement based off an NPC portrait :) Should I link you to it via PM or put up a request directly in Sol Ek Sa ?

Thank you! PM me if you want specifically *me* to do the portrait, but put it in Sol Ek Sa if you don't care who makes it. :D

Yeah, blue skin is murder. Don't know if it's going to happen here. I keep coming up with something that looks like it's been dead a while. Ick.

Zombie Solar! :o

Oh, and Ilmatar, don't worry. You're not the only one who fails at wings (in my case specifically feathered wings. For some reason I still keep drawing them, though.). But I think the wings you've drawn look great, and it works really well with the picture. Oh, and I like the reflection of the light from the wings on her skin!

Yeah, especially feathered wings are really difficult. That's why I made strange colored-light-thingies. :D

#20 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:21 AM

Hm, as I see all these pictures, I'm beginning to thinking about not posting anything to this challenge - you know, playing the fool from myself is not my favorite activity -_- :wacko:

Nice work, everyone.

This was probably the first challenge where I left out the "don't you even try to say you can't draw, goddammit" rant, and this is what I get! Heyy, Neferit, remember that this isn't a contest, and I have really appreciated you participating in our challenges! It would be a shame if you'd back off because you're thinking you're making a fool out of yourself. Which you're not making. Come on! Let us see your take on Solar! Besides, this challenge lasts for two weeks, so you've got plenty of time!