• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#1 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:53 AM

Posted Image

Because Liam is fed up with me asking him every week for ideas for the Challenge, he suggested I make this topic. :rolleyes: So this place is your chance to give ideas for the future Fanart Challenges! What would you like to see? What would you like to draw? What would be a really cool subject? Please don't spam this topic, though, give it some thought!

Your idea might be the next challenge topic!

Edited by Ilmatar, 23 August 2007 - 01:43 AM.

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#2 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:07 AM

Xan. :D

#3 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:21 AM

The rest of the BioWare cast from BG1 and BG2. Would keep you going for almost a year.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#4 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:48 AM

Sarevok, Mellisan, the Five, Saemon, Suldenessalar Elves(Ellesime, Elhan, Dermin), Aran Linvail, Other Bhaalspawn, Imoen, Drizzt and Elminster(finally get to beat them down in art for those who like that), you could even start doing specific monsters or cities.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#5 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 05:32 AM

* The cast, obviously. While the Edwin challenge was nice, I think we'll have some peeved artists if you don't also get around to Minsc, Haer'Dalis, Imoen and so on eventually. :P
* Drow versions of the same from Underdark chapter?
* Scenes. Sarevok VS Gorion, Imoen freeing PC from the cage, rescuing Jaheira/Minsc, reaction to Gorion's letter, Prism and Greywolf(?), party VS Sarevok/Mulahey/Irenicus/Bodhi/random assassin/etc (this one could keep it going for ages, srsly)...
* "What if" scenes - if Dynaheir had survived instead of Minsc, or if Gorion had defeated Sarevok (*cough*)... This might be difficult to draw, though.
* Easily identifyable artifacts - such as Carsomyr or Celestial Fury (except argh, no, anything but that, seriously, doesn't that freaking 1337 godboy uberkatana get enough attention already?)...
* And if you're really running out of ideas, you could toss in random D&D stuff like "arcane magic", "divine magic", "critical hit" or whatever...

(...oh dear, and now I'm getting horrible ideas about Minsc, Haer'Dalis and misunderstandings over the word "crit"...)

NO DRIZZT, GODDAMMIT, DON'T FEED HIS ANGSTY, OVERINFLATED EGO.

AND THAT GOES FOR ELMINSTER TOO :angry:

Edited by vilkacis, 20 April 2007 - 05:34 AM.

#6 Menelanna

Menelanna
  • 3006 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:11 AM

I also have to say Imone. I have actually been planning that one for weeks!
Lets see what else?
Ellasime
Elhan
Bhaal himself
Xan (gotta agree with Kuyluk on that one. love that guy so much)
Phare and Sola
perhaps some of the mod NPC's like Kelsey and Tsajutha
one of the NPC's hitting on <charname>!

and I wil think of more later
Steel is my body, fire is my blood.
I've created over a thousand blades
Unknown to death.
Nor known to life.
Have withstood pain to create many weapons.
Yet, those hands will never hold anything.
So as i pray, "Unlimited Blade Works."--Archer from Fate/Stay Night

Posted Image
Signature done by Sinharvest. thanks!

Interested in great fanstay Role Play? Come join Imythess the Border Between Dreams and Choas.
(should you join feel free to contact me. my main account it Fara're. hope to see you there :D)

#7 Galsic

Galsic

Nominal Member

• 384 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 07:34 AM

you could even start doing specific monsters

I could go for the slayer. Heck, maybe even Demogorgon, oh yeah :) !
(I like parentheses.)

#8 Orthodoxia

Orthodoxia
  • 853 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 07:42 AM

And Viccy, don't forget about Viccy please. That lovable drow needs love too (not to mention that I have a perfect sketch already).
Perhaps a one-page comic of certain events from the game.
And Slayer. Defiantly the Slayer.

Really, there isn't anything that you can't put as a challenge.
Dear gamer! You cannot summon Spirits of Rage when fighting bosses. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please send all complaints to Undead Control Administration, Bosses Combat Department, and apply for revision of the Endoria combat regulations. - King?s Bounty, the Legend
Posted Image

#9 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:10 AM

Any topic that can be explored outside of the rigid confines of BG2.

#10 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:37 AM

Please please please make it the slayer and I promise I'll take a shot at it. :shifty:

#11 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:21 PM

Wooow, wonderful ideas! All I need to do is browse through this list every time I need to make a new challenge and I'm sure we'll get a kick ass subject! Thank you so much, keep them coming!

The rest of the BioWare cast from BG1 and BG2. Would keep you going for almost a year.

I'm sure we'll go through every and each one of them eventually, but it's boring if every challenge is an NPC illustration, so I'll try and get something else every now and then.

you could even start doing specific monsters or cities.

I like the idea of cities, but I'm unsure of how it would work out. It would bring something different to the drawing challenges - you'd need to draw buildings and think about perspective, etc. But saying "Athkatla" is a really, really wide subject - there's the dock, the thieves, the graveyard, the bridge, the gates, the temples, all the districts.. So the outcome can be really wide.

* Drow versions of the same from Underdark chapter?

Fantastic. Drawing your party turned to drow, or one specific character as a drow. That would be really really interesting.

reaction to Gorion's letter

I admit I've been thinking about that, and I've been desperately trying to think how I could fit this in my fanart100 subjects. :D I, personally, would love to draw this.

* Easily identifyable artifacts - such as Carsomyr or Celestial Fury (except argh, no, anything but that, seriously, doesn't that freaking 1337 godboy uberkatana get enough attention already?)...

LILACOR OMG. :D Weapon design + kick ass quotes = TEH WIN.

NO DRIZZT, GODDAMMIT, DON'T FEED HIS ANGSTY, OVERINFLATED EGO.

AND THAT GOES FOR ELMINSTER TOO :angry:

As long as I'm in charge, no Drizzt angstypants here. Besides, he's just making a cameo appearance anyway, and the web is FULL of fanart of him, unlike for example our very own well-spoken dual wielder, Haer'Dalis.

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#12 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:37 PM

I never suggested fanart of either of them. I personally would love to see a cow dropped on Elle.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#13 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:12 PM

Fanart involving The Bhaalspawn Party's interactions with said characters might prove interesting...

#14 Menelanna

Menelanna
  • 3006 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:25 PM

if we do that i can draw scenes from my BG fic. Like my little innocent Bhaal spawn girl punching Anomen in the face...
Unknown to death.
Nor known to life.

Posted Image

Interested in great fanstay Role Play? Come join Imythess the Border Between Dreams and Choas.
(should you join feel free to contact me. my main account it Fara're. hope to see you there :D)

#15 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:30 PM

one of the NPC's hitting on <charname>!

Salvanas!

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#16 Menelanna

Menelanna
  • 3006 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:39 PM

Salvanas!

I shudder to think of how many different picks we would get of that. That could be ugly....FUNNY but still.
Unknown to death.
Nor known to life.

Posted Image

#17 Riviera

Riviera

Silmeria, the elven bard

• 355 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:03 PM

Xan. :D

Yes. :wub:

I've been bugging the heck out of Liam to find someone to get me a good Xan portrait.

It is likely doomed.

But I must try anyway!

I do not love you as if you were salt-rose, or topaz,
or the arrow of carnations the fire shoots off.
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#18 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:43 PM

But saying "Athkatla" is a really, really wide subject - there's the dock, the thieves, the graveyard, the bridge, the gates, the temples, all the districts.. So the outcome can be really wide.

And this is bad, how? :P

I admit I've been thinking about that, and I've been desperately trying to think how I could fit this in my fanart100 subjects. :D I, personally, would love to draw this.

Shouldn't be too difficult, since each challenge is just one word. Just on a quick look, I could think of ways to associate it with Middles (it's a little later than the middle of the game IIRC, but it's still quite middle-ish, and definitely one of the most important events between the opening and the ending), Insides, Years (since it's about something that happened long ago), Friends, Family, Parents, Children, Birth, Death, Too Much (as in TMI, I didn't want to know that Gorion and my mother were lovers, ADJDSKDSKD!) or Not Enough, Spirit, Passing, the whole Who? / What? / Where? / When? / Why? / How? series, Choices, Life and Home... probably others as well. And you have four "artist's choices" to fill as well. I'm sure you can fit it in there somewhere. :whistling:

LILACOR OMG. :D Weapon design + kick ass quotes = TEH WIN.

"Can we kill something now? No? ...now? .... What about now?!" :D Yessss. Although now that I think of it, I don't think there would be all that many entries for other weapons. xD

As long as I'm in charge, no Drizzt angstypants here.

Woo hoo!

Besides, he's just making a cameo appearance anyway, and the web is FULL of fanart of him, unlike for example our very own well-spoken dual wielder, Haer'Dalis.

Hmm, do I foresee a Haer'Dalis challenge in the near future...?

#19 Rabain

Rabain

God

• 653 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:21 PM

How about alternating Challenges between a character and a theme or subject? Week on, week off with character and theme/subject?

People won't have to wait long for their preference type to come around.

Chapters might be an idea for a theme, it's as broad as the Athkatla theme mentioned above but I'm sure everyone has their own "favourite" moment from one of their games that came in a particular Chapter. Subjects are fine too...just mix it up a little...broadening the palette so to speak...(yes, weak joke I know). :)
A knight without armour in a savage land...

#20 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 05:48 PM

* Scenes. Sarevok VS Gorion, Imoen freeing PC from the cage, rescuing Jaheira/Minsc, reaction to Gorion's letter, Prism and Greywolf(?), party VS Sarevok/Mulahey/Irenicus/Bodhi/random assassin/etc (this one could keep it going for ages, srsly)...

Personally, I think this would be rather cool. A bit different than just portraying one character, as all the previous challenges have been about.

How about alternating Challenges between a character and a theme or subject? Week on, week off with character and theme/subject?

People won't have to wait long for their preference type to come around.

Chapters might be an idea for a theme, it's as broad as the Athkatla theme mentioned above but I'm sure everyone has their own "favourite" moment from one of their games that came in a particular Chapter. Subjects are fine too...just mix it up a little...broadening the palette so to speak...(yes, weak joke I know). :)

I agree with Rabain, too. I'm not sure how well received it's going to be, but as one of the persons who (without actually participating) follows the challenge every week and enjoys the submissions, I'd love to see "Your take on Windspear Hills!" or "Create an image from the Slums!" - rather than [insert NPC name here].

As the I understand that the challenges also are a way of improving one's drawing/creational skills, variation of the subject from just characters will help develop other aspects of one's capabilities as an artist.

(Though in my own case, it wouldn't help at all.)

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner