Photo

SF, NK

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

Poll: Race/class for romanceable female (66 member(s) have cast votes)

Racial preference

1. Human (32 votes [30.77%])

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

2. Elf (20 votes [19.23%])

Percentage of vote: 19.23%

3. Half-Elf (22 votes [21.15%])

Percentage of vote: 21.15%

4. Dwarf (6 votes [5.77%])

Percentage of vote: 5.77%

5. Gnome (5 votes [4.81%])

Percentage of vote: 4.81%

6. Halfling (15 votes [14.42%])

Percentage of vote: 14.42%

7. Half-Orc (4 votes [3.85%])

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

Class

1. Fighter (25 votes [17.86%])

Percentage of vote: 17.86%

2. Ranger (20 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. Paladin (7 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

4. Cleric (24 votes [17.14%])

Percentage of vote: 17.14%

5. Druid (Neutral Good) (9 votes [6.43%])

Percentage of vote: 6.43%

6. Mage (pure-class) (17 votes [12.14%])

Percentage of vote: 12.14%

7. Sorcerer (15 votes [10.71%])

Percentage of vote: 10.71%

8. Bard (not a strong suit for me) (16 votes [11.43%])

Percentage of vote: 11.43%

9. Monk (not a strong suit for me) (7 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

Single-class or Multi/Dual, as racially appropriate

1. Single class (45 votes [68.18%])

Percentage of vote: 68.18%

2. Multi/Dual (21 votes [31.82%])

Percentage of vote: 31.82%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:40 AM

Recently, a friend and I got talking about the general lack of good-aligned romanceable females for BG2. If you insist on ToB content, you're limited to Tashia and Saerileth. Not saying this is going to go anywhere for a while, because I'm seriously overcommitted, but I'm still curious.

If you could have a good aligned female, what race/class combo would you prefer. I didn't put thieves on the list because I can't write for thieves.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#2 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:47 AM

Humans and (half)elves only. No way for orcs and shorties! :)
Ranger of mage/sorc.
Single.

Retired from modding.

#3 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 12:12 PM

Anything but human or elf (including half). Every NPC out there who isn't some kind of KEWL SUPAR SPESHUL race is human or elven (full or part).

Dwarf would be cool - there's a serious lack of dwarves, especially female ones. Half-orc might be fun, too.

Class... uh, dunno. I hate sorcs, personally, but anything else would be fine with me. Ranger could be interesting? Also, we need more CG swashbuckling dwarf bards. (Srsly.)

#4 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:39 PM

Well, I voted half-elf fighter multiclass, but I have to say that Humans are also left out in the cold. If we are talking about a strong, good aligned, equal partner mature romance, then the half elf swashbuckler/mage could replace the Yoshimo/Imoen combination, and be good for a full story arc from Tutu>ToB (or all of BGT). For just BG2SoA/ToB, a human fighter dualled over to mage at the start of SoA (you meet her and work together to change over from fighter to her new magic appreciation, etc.) might be pretty cool.

The tough part is how do you balance against these issues, in priority order:
1. I want to keep you around because you are cool, independent, witty, sexy, and fun, but you have to hold your own in a traditional fight (Keto, if she would romance you - this one is the closest to an equal figure so far, but has no romance component at all) or I can't keep you in the party.
2. I want you to be young and cute and determined and like me lots and lots, but not so much that you go sappy sweet and pouty.
3. I want to protect you, "rescue" you, and feel macho, but at the same time I want to have an equal who is a little forward and aggressive and (if necessary) willing to kick my sorry butt into next week, or turn me over to Jon for "reeducation".

Makes it a tall order indeed. No wonder Bioware gave you the choice between Mom and Shattered Needy GirlFriend :D

#5 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 02:00 PM

I don't know if I've got it in me to write another full-spectrum NPC, but we'll see how that goes once I'm done with Gavin. It wasn't too bad with him, because his PnP storyline was extensive enough to carry him through BG1, SoA and ToB without a lot of trouble. Nearly 30 years of gaming with the same character will do that.

This lady will be built from the ground up, so we'll see.

I don't want to *replace* any BioWare NPC. I don't want to make the PC choose between her and Imoen, for example. But I can safely guarantee a few things. She won't need therapy, and she won't try to mother you. She'll definitely be "all woman." Hadn't considered the need of the male PC to rescue her, but it's definitely presenting some interesting possiblities. She's probably too passionate to be elven, but I'm willing to hold off on that decision for a while.

In any case, there's a lot still to do before I can even start on this, but Gavin will eventually be done, and I have a feeling that I'll still have something left to contribute afterwards.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods

#6 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 02:02 PM

A Gnomish or Dwarven lass.

Well I've ideas for clerics of both, but still. I have plenty of thieves(Immy Yoshi Jan), particularly Thief Mages. There are way too many female thieves in mods, especially assassins, so please not that.

Clerics, Druids, are rarely used in full scale mods. Bards could be fun, who's never met a proper Dwarven bard? (Aye it's illegal, but nearly everything is for the short guys, so push some rules around)
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#7 Discord

Discord
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:42 PM

I agree that there are far too many human/halfelf/elves. I would prefer some of the wee folk for a change.

I'm partial to halflings, myself. A halfling mage or sorcerer, perhaps? Sorceror might be nice, because halflings tend to be homebodies, down-to-earth types. For a halfling to be born a sorceror, it would be pretty stressful, and conflict with her whole view of life, which could become her character conflict/story/source of angst.

Wait, can halflings be sorcerors? I forget. Course, you could make her a sorceror anyway and just say it's an extremely rare fluke. (then again, extremely rare angsty background details are almost as overdone as romanceable humans/elves/halfelves.)

#8 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:46 PM

Humans, Elves, and Half-Elves are the only ones to be Sorcerers in BG2.

The wee folk actually got shortchanged in some things.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#9 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:56 PM

Slightly OT:

I've been seeing this topic all day, and I still can't figure out what the title of it, "SF, NK", means. Am I the only one? If so, can someone enlighten the ignorant Swede over here? :huh:

If you insist on ToB content, you're limited to Tashia and Saerileth.

There's also Aerie, but I guess you only mean mods. ;)

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#10 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:48 PM

Well, it's as I told you: as long as we're not talking about 15-year-olds, half-drow-half-dragons, Aran Linvail's/Saemon Havarian's children, "she's all about sex" and "she's your sister really", everything else is fine and dandy to me, as long as the writing is decent.

I kinda miss Branwen in BG2, by the way - and your voice is very close. But that's just my wishful thinking, don't mind me, couldn't help it. :)

#11 MorningGlory

MorningGlory
  • 796 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:15 PM

Well, it's as I told you: as long as we're not talking about 15-year-olds, half-drow-half-dragons, Aran Linvail's/Saemon Havarian's children, "she's all about sex" and "she's your sister really", everything else is fine and dandy to me, as long as the writing is decent.

Can't you make a public post without taking a shot at others by trivializing their ideas, mods and their hard work? Geeeeze!!!

#12 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:28 PM

Can't you make a public post without taking a shot at others by trivializing their ideas, mods and their hard work? Geeeeze!!!

Oh, and no talking about TV-shows in the mod, either.

#13 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:49 PM

Kulyok, are you always that way sarcastic? Just curious.

BTW I was wondering what "SF, NK" means too.

Seriously speaking, the character I'd like to romance would be alike Jaheira in her seriousness.

Edited by GeN1e, 23 April 2007 - 11:49 PM.

Retired from modding.

#14 MorningGlory

MorningGlory
  • 796 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 12:15 AM

Oh, and no talking about TV-shows in the mod, either.

Sorry, but that comment still doesn't hide the fact that you regularly look down your nose at anything you happen not to like, or agree with. Having an opinion is one thing, and you are certainly entitled to yours, but your cherry-picking the mod ideas as to what is 'good' and what is 'bad' as though your individual taste is the yardstick to which all should aspire is both tedious and boringly sanctimonious. To see someone constantly trouncing on other modders and their ideas/creativity just doesn't seem very sporting to me. But, I suppose that for some, it can greatly add to their sense of self-importance.

#15 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 01:41 AM

Hey, look folks, there's a little PM button that's perfect for questions or comments like some of these.

I'm not talking about the legitimate question about SF, NK, though. That one is worth answering, and it's really a bit of 4th wall breakage right there. It shows up on published personal adveritisements, and it's shorthand for "single female, no kids." Often, it takes the form of SWF, or includes some other racial reference, but that's kind of the point: I am undecided on race.

AFAIK, Imoen and Sheena do not have ToB content. Fade will soon, but she's CN, and just isn't going to do it for someone who wants a good healthy dose of goodness in his lady. Amber will have ToB content eventually, but that's going to take a while. Meira and Darios have even more on their plates than I do. Ditto Bons, with Surayah. The Mazzy romance looks promising. I adore Mazzy, and I hope to give the romance a try. Jelina, too looks promising.

I wish it were possible to please everyone, but I can see that it won't be. It's a sad fact that the shorter folks are sadly underrepresented, but I really love humans, for some reason, and I've got this great photograph that's just screaming to be baldurized. And if *that* isn't the flimsiest reason to decide on a race, I don't know what would be. Still... well, maybe I can share it, and you'll see what I mean. She'd have to wear more clothing for her to be sensibly dungeon-ready, though.

Attached Images

• Kira.jpg

berelinde's mods

#16 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 05:22 AM

Make her Kira then, human cleric. =)

#17 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 05:43 AM

Not Kira. Kira doesn't have enough depth to get her out of Chateau Irenicus, let alone all the way through ToB. She was never intended to be a fully developed character. Mara is more likely, but even then, there would be changes.

berelinde's mods

#18 -Domi_Ash-

-Domi_Ash-

Posted 24 April 2007 - 06:02 AM

I'd like to see Branwen as well. A new character... If she has to be a human, I'd like to see a Bard. I know Bri is working on Delainey, but we can have a different sort of a bard. Another possibility that I would actually LOVE to see is another female Paladin, not as unusual as Saerileth. Quite honestly, every class can be done with style and panache, I think and without repeating other's ideas.

#19 Lord Ernie

Lord Ernie
  • Modder
  • 755 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:51 AM

And even if reusing ideas (which is pretty much inevitable), it can and should be done with style

I understand people being tired of female romanceable elves/half-elves (what with the Biowares and Tashia), but in reality the number of romancable female human NPC's is low. In fact, I don't know of any with full content (Saerileth being a teenager Chosen simply doesn't count).

Mind you, I don't protest against the writing of a Gnome, Dwarven or Halfling female, on the contrary; I usually avoid those races cause they have no romance options (I don't consider 'all race' hacks as options), so a well-written romance would obviously be a good thing :).

Oh, and I agree with Kulyok in so far that the exotic has been done. Some of it was done well, but still, it would be nice to have something more 'simple' than a drow, half-dragon, tiefling, or <insert other exotic race here> character, with noted respect to some of those mods out there. And yes, preferably not someone directly related to <insert famous in-game character here>; that too has been done.

As for the class, I don't care overmuch. As long as the class makes sense for the character and is portrayed well in dialogues, I'm perfectly fine with it :).

Edited by Lord Ernie, 24 April 2007 - 07:51 AM.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world - Oscar Wilde

Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. But set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

#20 -Domi_Ash-

-Domi_Ash-

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:07 AM

Actually, you are right. Even Saerileth is not a human per se, with her background of coming from the Mount Celestia. Heh, sometimes the simplest thing, like vanilla human female fighter is the most unusual. Go figure.