• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:12 PM

I have loads of favourite artists - overall, my favourite artist is probably Linda Birgkvist (Furiae.com); I love her dark fantasy. And when her book comes out - I'm totally, totally buying it. I especially love... well, actually, I love a whole lot of her work. I can't choose just one! But for the purposes of this thread, it would be:

Hajieelke

Another favourite artist of mine is Ursula Vernon (Metalandmagic.com). Her style is often quite whimsical, but very mature - and her descriptions are, perhaps, some of the most imaginative I have ever encountered; her pieces are almost always in two parts - the painting, and the story behind it.

Gearworld Woman

So - have a favourite artist? Two? Three? Post about them - I'd love to see what styles everyone else loves... and don't be afraid to post more than one, either! I imagine as soon as I think of more, I'll add them, too.

#2 Galsic

Galsic

Nominal Member

• 384 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:46 PM

Yoshitaka Amano and Rebecca Guay. They do such wonderful things with watercolors :wub: .
(I like parentheses.)

#3 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:51 PM

I rather like some of the fantastic artists here...
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#4 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:08 PM

Just what I was thinking. :D
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#5 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:11 PM

Velasquez.

#6 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 12:00 AM

Of so called "fine artists" I would like to mention <a href="http://www.muchafoun...front">Alphonse Mucha</a> the first. I visited his gallery/museum in Prague some 4-5 years ago and fell in love.

<a href="http://virtual.finla...D=30019">Albert Edelfelt</a> SHOULD be the favourite artist of every Finn. He is in my favourite list, but not because he is a famous Finnish artist. Just look at those samples of his work there. *Genius*. Beautiful. Gorgeous. Touching. I've seen his sketches in our national gallery, and I kept staring at them for like 30 minutes. I love his technique and style.

<a href="http://en.wikipedia....-Lautrec">Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec</a>. I would so want to see his work "live". I adore especially his "ad posters".

Then artists from the here-and-now. Here's a list of my favourites on the web:
<a href="http://projectkooky....m/dylan/">Dylan Meconis</a> (been following her work for... years and years and years)
<a href="http://www.verabee.com/">Vera Brosgol</a> (been following her work for almost as long as Dylan's)
<a href="http://excelsiorstud...dios.net/">Bill Mudron</a> (been following his work for almost as long as Dylan's :D)
<a href="http://scottthomasba...ThomasBarry</a> (I think he was born with an oil painting brush in his mouth, or something.),
<a href="http://www.crisvecto...>CrisVector</a> (master of teh vectors)

...hmmmm, I would have more, but I lost my bookmarks mysteriously some time ago so, I guess I don't have more. Meh!

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#7 Jazhara7

Jazhara7
  • 715 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 04:48 AM

Ursula Vernon is one of my favourite artists too.

Another one I really like is Stephanie Pui-Mun Law. She does a lot with Watercolours.

While in the artist quarter in Paris, I came across a bronze sculpture in the Galerie Vivendi. Sadly, the Gallery was closed at the time (it was Sunday morning). But when we walked back (it was at a square that was in the middle of a row of buildings, so we walked all around it) by it, it was open. So we went inside, and they told us the statuw was by Dirk DeKeyzer. I absolutely love his style.

Two of my favourite paintings, which I saw in the Guggenheim museum in Venice were The Solidity of Fog by Luigi Russolo, and The Break of Day (This last one has mild nudity. It's nothing obscene, just bare breasts in a non-scandalous context. It's simply beautiful. I still thought I should warn you.) by Paul Delvaux.

I also really like the art by Victor Nizovtsev, which I only discovered by coincidence. Here's my favourite, "Medusa":

Posted Image

If you want to see some more of his paintings, I've shown some more of them in this post.

Oh, and I'm a big fan of René Magritte.

And all the art by you guys is great too!

EDIT: I forgot some. Someone already mentioned Mucha, who is also very much one of my favourite artists, and one of my favcourite paintings is The Garden of Death by Hugo Simberg. It's a very tiny painting, 16*17 cm large, and very lovely. Also, the art by James Ensor appeals to me.

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Edited by Jazhara7, 26 April 2007 - 05:26 AM.

Hey, are you hungry?

I Hate Elminster!
(proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#8 Hathor

Hathor

Noldo of Himring

• 176 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 06:43 AM

Velasquez.

I second that! Van Dyck and Rubens also blow minds with portraits and textures,Da Vinci with mood and Michaelangelo with figures :wub: From modern art - you've already said about Linda Bergkvist, I admire also Jean Tay, Diane Özdamar, Mélanie Delon, ThienBao and amazing Camille Kuo, among others. World is full of talented people :wub:

Edited by Hathor, 30 May 2007 - 06:44 AM.

Portfolio Forgotten Isle and gallery at deviantART.

#9 Delight

Delight
  • 660 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:26 AM

Perkan.

#10 Hathor

Hathor

Noldo of Himring

• 176 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:12 AM

Ha, I was going to add Perkan but then I would have to add many others ;)

#11 Alatariel

Alatariel

Inquisitor!

• 479 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:08 AM

Oh, I love some of the present fantasy artist, just like I adore some of the painters od old! But, to be brief, I would also vote for Linda Bergkvist (and it is BErgkvist, not BIrgkvist, K'aeloree... Swedish surname^^'). I follow her work for years and absolutely love the climate of her art.

However, I have one more artist I like to the same degree. It would be our Polish deviant, Marta Dahlig. I still can't believe that someone can be so talented... It should be forbidden! ;/
'NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency! Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surpr-... I'll come in again.

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!... Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms - Oh damn!'

#12 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:11 AM

Ehehe, you're exactly right - sorry about that! My mistaaake. Yeah, Marta Dahlig is also awesome - I absolutely adore the Seven Sins, most awesome series ever. :D

#13 Balathustrius

Balathustrius
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:04 PM

I'm stuck between Justin Sweet: http://justinsweet.c...ML/023_w11.html

and Android Jones: http://www.conceptar...mimicpagess.jpg

Yes, I like drawings.

Edited by Balathustrius, 04 June 2007 - 10:06 PM.

#14 Kimory

Kimory

The Official... Something... Of the something forum...

• 117 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:19 AM

:o Oh my god! No one said anything about Spellhold's own artist, Rumpleteasza! You should all be ashamed of yourself!
Hmmm... I dont know who my favorite artist is, I don't really follow those kinds of things.
"There is no genius without a touch of madness" Sheogorath
Xbox 360 and PC user
What am I working on now?
Remake of my Draconian Race, which was lost long ago...

#15 Hathor

Hathor

Noldo of Himring

• 176 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:05 AM

I'm ashamed I've forgotten about Justin Sweet.

#16 Rumpleteasza

Rumpleteasza

Bargain-Bin Bondgirl

• 288 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 05:05 AM

:o Oh my god! No one said anything about Spellhold's own artist, Rumpleteasza! You should all be ashamed of yourself!

:lol: <3 :wub:

My favourite would be Henri Rousseau. His lush stylised jungle scenes captured my imagination as a child, and while I've seen far more intricate and meaningful art in my lifetime, he'll always have first place for me.
New avatar in honour of SeV/Jade, because everyone knows Jade brings all the (elves? Humans? Tabaxi? Let's just say girls, shall we?) to the yard.
Well... not quite so appropriate now I changed it. Sorry, Jadikins. <3 <3

The King and I
The Emperor and I

#17 oralpain

oralpain
  • 589 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:37 PM

I like Pat Kochakji's work.

#18 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:58 AM

I like the work if this Jae guy...

And i totally fail to understand what you guys see in the sketchings of that justin sweet type... :crazy: