Possibly of interest to modders

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 04:32 PM

This may get me into trouble here (Something that tends to happen with the regularity of say, breathing) but...

Though learning, I am a hopless modder (See, I learned THAT much already! :) ), so, I contantly look around for helpful tools, and I have found one that should go on the "It Might Be Useful" list:

http://software.tech...mp;promo=100511

Now, let me say up front, after a google search, there Are issues with this program. Particularly with WinXP where a little tweaking is needed. Still... I D/L the trail version from Download.com and after doing some computer tweaking and playing with it, it looks like it holds some promise.

(It would hold More promise, I suspect, to an actual modder who had more of a clue as to what they were doing - long term.)

Anyhoo, it might be worth a look see.

Minotaur et' all - resident chew toy. :whistling:
They say the world is going to Hell.

They are wrong.

The world IS Hell! Always has been, always will be; except perhaps for the five percent or so of the population who can afford differently.

And, if one must reside in Hell, it is far better to do it as a minion of the Devil than as a member of the damned.
LOVE SUCKS: It makes fools and slaves of us all.
But being alone and unloved is worse.
- Nancy A. Collins "Thin Walls"

#2 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 04:59 PM

I'm not generally given to reject tools without trying them out, but I might make an exception here.

One of these days, I'd like to see a mentorship program where more experienced modders would offer some guidance for newer modders. I had it. I got tons of helpful advice and plenty of completely helpful and non-patronizing hand-holding from some of the best modders out there, and I'm thankful for it every time I sit down to write code. I try to return the favor by helping where I can, but I certainly don't know everything. Hells, those that helped me out probably have forgotten more than I'll ever know.

Thing is, I don't know if there's a computer program out there that can do it for you. By all means, try it out, and see if it works out for you, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

In the meantime, I think Tempest has the right idea. Sorry, Tempest, if you don't want to be used as an example, but you showed a remarkable amount of foresight, and I think others can benefit from it. When he was starting out, he'd post chunks of code he'd attempted, and then others would come in and offer comments and suggestions. I was generally lazy and would simply recode it and try to document my changes.

Thing is, when you do it like that, you've got all the steps documented, and you might actually learn how to do it by yourself in time.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#3 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 05:13 PM

I would like to know what this tool does, exactly. From the website I'm not able to find anything but it being a "role-playing game creator" and that it has something to do with maps. Your post isn't terribly clear about what it is, either.

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#4 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:39 PM

$10 says it's a program that creates semi-randomized maps based on user input for use in DM'ing.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#5 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:21 PM

Yup, should'a known. :rolleyes:

Well, I am still playing with it myself, but from what I've seen, it creates maps, items, light maps, some scripting encounters...(Trigger points) in some ways like NI.

It simplifies making trigger points and can put together an area, I Know that for a fact. I can't Save much on my Trial Version, but I am planning to buy the thing. $60.00 is a SMALL price to pay if this sucker can help me Mod.

Just TRYING to help out...

'Taur The Terrible

(Speaking of helping out modders, whatever happened to Infinity Engine Radio?)

They are wrong.

The world IS Hell! Always has been, always will be; except perhaps for the five percent or so of the population who can afford differently.

And, if one must reside in Hell, it is far better to do it as a minion of the Devil than as a member of the damned.

#6 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:13 AM

Yup, should'a known. :rolleyes:

Well, I am still playing with it myself, but from what I've seen, it creates maps, items, light maps, some scripting encounters...(Trigger points) in some ways like NI.

It simplifies making trigger points and can put together an area, I Know that for a fact. I can't Save much on my Trial Version, but I am planning to buy the thing. $60.00 is a SMALL price to pay if this sucker can help me Mod.

Just TRYING to help out...

'Taur The Terrible

(Speaking of helping out modders, whatever happened to Infinity Engine Radio?)

You're *paying* for modding tools?

Dude....

(Is selling that kind of thing even legal? O.o)

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#7 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:15 AM

I'll tell you right off, that doesn't look like it's worth $60. I would advise against buying it, because all your areas will begin to look similar - and they'll also be somewhat substandard quality, graphics wise, I think... but I suppose each to their own. I'll check it out.

#8 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:15 AM

it creates maps, items, light maps, some scripting encounters...(Trigger points) in some ways like NI.

It simplifies making trigger points and can put together an area, I Know that for a fact.

Are you sure this tool is generating files that's going to be usable by the Infinity Engine? Because if so, I'm rather surprised we haven't heard about it before.

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#9 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:55 AM

Perhaps minotaur misread the sentence "explorations games are comparable to Baldur Gates, & Icewind Dale" as " explorations games are compatible with Baldur Gates, & Icewind Dale".

#10 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:36 PM

You're *paying* for modding tools?

Dude....

(Is selling that kind of thing even legal? O.o)

About as Legal as modding in general I should think. :)

Paying for a program to help me learn to mod?

Yup.

Oh, and it gets better. I REALLY don?t think many people here realize how MUCH I want to learn to do this and how LONG I have been banging my head against my desk, trying to get satisfaction! (Though a few friendly folks, SConrad and Shed top that list) SHOULD be WELL aware, considering... My lack of learning skills are my Own problem, Not the friendly folk who have Tried to help me for the last few yrs. (since '99)

In the last month I have found someone (In the REAL World, sadly.) who I am Paying to Teach Me how to Mod and get much of a certain redheaded NPC done for me as I learn. (This is in addition to a good friend named Keldon who has been great about answering my endless questions, and Celestine who has Coded some things for me and taught me more from her example than I have ?Learned? in a long time.)

(My real world pal? He is a computer geek and can understand what the hell is being talked about from the tutorials, unlike myself, to whom the tutos might as well be written in Drow.)

Thus far I have paid, well, lets just say it is in the low/mid hundreds and whilst I am still mostly retarded, OCTOBER, my NPC is coming along as time permits. I am fully aware that the guy in question might possibly gouge me in time, if I let him, but I can accept it. I am older than many here and one of the few remaining goals I have in life is to get this one mod of mine finished! (I Thought about fan fic for awhile, but my submission got no notice.)

I guess my point is, after trying to learn from these forums, having people try and help me and my own stupidity (Programming wise) getting in the way, having Another modder (more recently) take it up and get things rolling with the promise to guide me and get the thing done ? only to vanish in the night (Let me restrain myself here lest I get my ass banned for rudeness), and STILL giving it my all after better than half a Decade...

In comparison, $60.00 seems Reasonable to me.

Will it teach me to mod BG2? - Maybe, maybe not, I am still getting to the guts of it.

Will it help me to learn overall? Probably.

I?m old enough to be called eccentric (50-mumble) and would have made the same offer in these forums (around the net) as I made to my current ?guide? (Matter o? fact, I DID ? and it ended abruptly, and badly.) in order to get my mod done. - And if this guy takes my money, I will find another, and another and so on. If this is the only way ? for me ? to go, then only dying of old age will stop me.

Say what you want about my intelligence, but don?t knock my love for modding or my desire to get my vision done and out there. I just saw this program, began playing with it and saw it might help me, and wanted to share it with others here (Who know what they are doing) in the hopes it might be of some use to help THEM to turn out their Wonderful mods for the game.

As for Moi, I am GOING to get this mod of mine done and out there, I don?t care if it cost me a thousand dollars or more!

Minotaur In Maze ? possibly nutty, clearly determined, stubborn and have no plans to quit!!!

They are wrong.

#11 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:44 PM

whoops

Edited by minotaur_in_maze, 03 May 2007 - 02:45 PM.

They are wrong.

#12 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:53 PM

About as Legal as modding in general I should think. :)

Since we don't make any money off mods, they don't mind leaving us be (and, modding is actually helping IE games sales - I've bought all of ToB, BG1/TotSC/SoA/ToB, IWD1/HoF/IWD2, PST because of modding).
However, once money is brought into the table things change pretty rapidly - trying to make money off their engine and games (and more money than the full BG.* would cost!) will likely lead to a Cease and Desist and subsequent sueing.

In comparison, $60.00 seems Reasonable to me.

Will it teach me to mod BG2? - Maybe, maybe not, I am still getting to the guts of it.

Will it help me to learn overall? Probably.

If you think so, you're free to do as you want. I'm pretty sure that you won't get $60.00 worth of coding skills - it doesn't generate BG2 mods, it generates games that are visually similar to BG2, while the engine underneath is likely completely different (unless you are experienced about coding in different languages, standards, etc., skills in X can dampen your learning of skills in Y, if X and Y are different enough).

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#13 jcompton

jcompton
  • Modder
  • 492 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:22 AM

Just to be perfectly clear here: Explorations is a separate, stand-alone game engine, with absolutely no connection to Infinity games. So yes, it has some sort of map editor, but that won't help you with BG2 modding.

It looks intriguing, although I don't see any mention of published games which use the engine, which makes it a little difficult to judge its true capabilities. There's also a curious lack of readily available technical information and documentation. I guess by virtue of being an affordable RPG creation kit that isn't RPG Maker, it might prove useful to some. It looks like he's only charging $15 for the fully-functional non-commercial version of Explorations 8.9, which isn't much for a game engine.

So, anyway, Minotaur--Explorations doesn't offer you anything unless you decide to start funding the creation of a brand-new RPG, not just a new NPC for BG2. (And, really, what kind of sucker would do a thing like that?)

#14 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 01:04 PM

I figured it might be able to be adapted.

OoooKAY, I tried.

Back to the drawing board.

Minotaur - slinking away quietly to brood and plot.

They are wrong.

#15 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 01:14 PM

Here's to hoping that you can get the help ya need though, MiM.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#16 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:30 PM

I'm quite willing to help anyone learn the basics of modding if they're on MSN. and have some basic tools like Near Infinity and WeiDU set up. I've helped a few people get started around the forums, they know who they are I think, mostly those from CoM who are now active in other forums :)

kiyos.jpg____btlbn2.gif____kovaS.jpg
Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?
SoA Release - Overview / Download Links

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...
Spellhold Gauntlet - more than just a Spellhold-Be-Gone
Hidden Kits - hidden dual-classed kits with a twist for progression

#17 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:05 PM

*hugs Zyraen*

That would include me! :)
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#18 igi

igi

IESDP Guardian

• Administrator
  • 1058 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:35 AM

I'd probably help as well, if someone catches me on ICQ/MSN (ha!)

I may not particularly enthusiastic, friendly, helpful or knowledgable, but I don't charge either :)

Visit the IESDP

#19 Seifer

Seifer

The best Anti-Paladin weapon is a tin opener...!

• 4505 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:47 AM

I may not particularly enthusiastic, friendly, helpful or knowledgable, but I don't charge either :)

Take it from someone who knows.. :whistling:

how come you always look so damn cool in every photo I see you in?!?

Speaking of modding, I listened to IER 3 yesterday, so you can have another quote for your signature: how come you sound so damn cool, as well as look it? It's unfair. Seriously.

Still a cyberjock, still hacking the matrix, still unsure of what that means.

TeamBG member - http://www.teambg.eu

#20 Jyzabyl

Jyzabyl

Order of the Radiantly Radiant

• 1468 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:54 AM

And all are examples of the wonderful spirit of generosity at work here. And all of us who benefit thank them.
:Bow:
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing. And in knowing that you know nothing, that makes you the smartest of all. Socrates

Not only are female redheads frequently lovely but theirs is a loveliness that suggests both lust and danger, pleasure and violence, and is, therefore, to the male of the species virtually irresistible. Red O red were the tresses of the original femme fatale. Tom Robbins

The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Unless you know anthing about anatomy. In that case the way to a man's heart is through his ribs with a meat cleaver. Miss Jyzzy's Guide to Men.

Xtreme Versatility? Xpress Yourself!