Photo

Lets discuss a few things

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#21 kalia

kalia
  • 454 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:42 AM

And one point I think PoPcOrN was making, and I kinda meant by a work-needs-comment kinda thing, was this: perhaps the "I just started this character what do you think of her what should I change" pics could have a sep thread, like a wip thread, like my pics when I was just first starting my new char & didn't even really like her looks yet. That way thos kinda "clutter" (and I'm really only referring to mine there) pics are sep too, and kind get comments right there on their own thread.

#22 Rumpleteasza

Rumpleteasza

Bargain-Bin Bondgirl

• 288 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:42 AM

I'll add to that and say that the IMG tags really help me see things I wouldn't have otherwize clicked on before. Not that I didn't care about the shots, but because click-back-click-back-click gets annoying after a while <_<

I think this is a really good point. It's easy to scroll past a load of links, but if it's all image-tagged, you can't help but have your eye caught by interesting posts from people you might not necessarily have clicked on before. It does make the threads slow to load, but I think it's a huge improvement. It's right there for everyone to see.

Or as we say in the Rec Room "PLAY NICE"

And this may be off topic, but I'd like to welcome all the new members and the so called Oblivians. We're a friendly bunch here and don't much go for us and them. I for one look forward to playing the new content to be found in these threads.

And don't forget... drop by the Rec Room and say hi! You can be as off topic as you like, and it makes for a good community.

Thanks very much :) You've been very kind giving us a place here. I've been strolling around the fanfic threads - the quality is very high!
New avatar in honour of SeV/Jade, because everyone knows Jade brings all the (elves? Humans? Tabaxi? Let's just say girls, shall we?) to the yard.
Well... not quite so appropriate now I changed it. Sorry, Jadikins. <3 <3

The King and I
The Emperor and I

#23 SeV

SeV
  • Modder
  • 390 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:43 AM

And this may be off topic, but I'd like to welcome all the new members and the so called Oblivians. We're a friendly bunch here and don't much go for us and them. I for one look forward to playing the new content to be found in these threads.

And don't forget... drop by the Rec Room and say hi! You can be as off topic as you like, and it makes for a good community.

Thanks for that Jyzabyl :) We'll be sure to start lurking around the rest of the forum when we get a chance :ninja:

Maybe we should discuss the forum categories we want in place. I think a "feedback" section for people that want detailed feedback about their work would be nice as well. It could apply to WIP, Texturing, or any kind of "project" (outside of screenshots) that people want input.

My avatar courtesy of my own little personal artist, Rumms

#24 PoPc0rN

PoPc0rN
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:47 AM

We could make a different Thread for Screens/Screens&Chat/ClutterScreens, but dont you think that everything will get too unorganized? Its deffantally worth a try, but will it work with 3+ Threads?

▐▐ 'Over A Year Without A Signature' - PoPc0rN 2006/2007▐▐

Posted Image

#25 cyborgakadjmoose

cyborgakadjmoose
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:48 AM

I guess this is just me putting my thoughts on the page, but I think the two thread system would work pretty well. We could have a thread for the screens (almost like an archive of the current screens that correspond with the current discussion thread) and in the discussion thread, we could simply refer to the screens in the picture thread.

I guess...I think that would work...but then again...everyone just links to their screens from hosting sites anyway... *shrugs*

Edit: and I like that idea SeV, with the "feedback" thread and "project" thread.

Hrmm....this is starting to sound kinda...cluttered...

Edited by cyborgakadjmoose, 08 May 2007 - 11:49 AM.

CYBORGAKADJMOOSE (Cyborg also known as DJMoose)

"I don't recall using teleportation, yet there I was....alone...naked."

My Deviantart

My Myspace

Cool place for character names: www.behindthename.com

Posted Image

#26 PoPc0rN

PoPc0rN
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:51 AM

I guess...I think that would work...but then again...everyone just links to their screens from hosting sites anyway... *shrugs*

There should be a new 'rule' of some sort. That the Screens should only be posted as an image, not a URL.

Posted Image

#27 --CapsAdmin--

--CapsAdmin--

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:51 AM

Seems like a good idea about the comments thread. Not sure how I'm seen anymore to be honest there seem to be those who like me posting screenshots then some who see me as some sort of antichrist well at least over at esf. I'm pretty much sure some of the 'stigma' stuff mentioned is related to me, that perhaps I'm to blame for putting people off posting?

One a personal note I'm very much glad Kalia has joined here in the screenshooting threads, she always takes the time to comment on folks piccies and is a very kind and warm hearted person and a good friend.

Haha, when I saw your screenshots I thought "What's with Floydian and burning churches x]" But I never really thought that you were some kind of antichrist or anything.

I like the idea of seperated threads. I really don't know what to say, you pretty much said it all. Great post. :D

I don't know about the idea I had in my mind yesterday. But anyway, I thought we could make our own threads. For instance "CapsAdmin's Character" (I still don't have any names for my character(s) :rolleyes: )
But that would probably end up with a lot of bumping and such. Though, we could make a new thread for each collection of screenshots we have.

I don't know. Nah, I don't think it's a good idea. But it would be a good idea for stories and such I think.

#28 Spike4072

Spike4072
  • 612 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:56 AM

Seems like a good idea about the comments thread. Not sure how I'm seen anymore to be honest there seem to be those who like me posting screenshots then some who see me as some sort of antichrist well at least over at esf. I'm pretty much sure some of the 'stigma' stuff mentioned is related to me, that perhaps I'm to blame for putting people off posting?

One a personal note I'm very much glad Kalia has joined here in the screenshooting threads, she always takes the time to comment on folks piccies and is a very kind and warm hearted person and a good friend.

Haha, when I saw your screenshots I thought "What's with Floydian and burning churches x]" But I never really thought that you were some kind of antichrist or anything.

I like the idea of seperated threads. I really don't know what to say, you pretty much said it all. Great post. :D

I don't know about the idea I had in my mind yesterday. But anyway, I thought we could make our own threads. For instance "CapsAdmin's Character" (I still don't have any names for my character(s) :rolleyes: )
But that would probably end up with a lot of bumping and such. Though, we could make a new thread for each collection of screenshots we have.

I don't know. Nah, I don't think it's a good idea. But it would be a good idea for stories and such I think.

The problem with everone having seperate threads is that some peoples will be veiwed and commented on much more than others. It would be bad for the people that have a screen shot thread with only 2 comments then someone like Floydian1 has 2000.

#29 PoPc0rN

PoPc0rN
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:00 PM

The problem with everone having seperate threads is that some peoples will be veiwed and commented on much more than others. It would be bad for the people that have a screen shot thread with only 2 comments then someone like Floydian1 has 2000.

2000... Your not lying. :P I think all of the threads will be viewed and commented, but not as frequent, and thus not going to work. :( Good idea, But there are too many of us. Maybe, A Thread; Rules; Stories; General; New Character/Opinions; Other.

Edit: Thread Each. Not one big thread will all those in it! :o Imagine :o

Edited by PoPc0rN, 08 May 2007 - 12:01 PM.

Posted Image

#30 SeV

SeV
  • Modder
  • 390 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:00 PM

erhm.... please note guys: There's a difference between threads and sections.

Threads are threads.

Sections are, ie we are in the "Oblivion Screenshots" section of the board

Feedback would be a seperate "section" where we would post threads/posts.

#31 Rumpleteasza

Rumpleteasza

Bargain-Bin Bondgirl

• 288 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:01 PM

On the other hand, the pictures that are posted won't go underwater about two minutes afterwards because the thread is moving so rapidly (due to comments). They'll be viewable for longer, and more people's work will stay on the page that is currently being viewed, making it more accessible.

I seem to remember that the 100th ESF picture thread, despite there being a huge interest and amount of posts on it, lasted far longer than usual. About a week, IIRC. It meant that people could really take their time and browse through pictures only, and all the chatting that usually makes the threads move so quickly was confined somewhere else. The actual screenshot thread became more like a proper gallery, making it less likely to pass smaller posts by.

Edited by Rumpleteasza, 08 May 2007 - 12:02 PM.

New avatar in honour of SeV/Jade, because everyone knows Jade brings all the (elves? Humans? Tabaxi? Let's just say girls, shall we?) to the yard.
Well... not quite so appropriate now I changed it. Sorry, Jadikins. <3 <3

The King and I
The Emperor and I

#32 SeV

SeV
  • Modder
  • 390 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:03 PM

THey're talking about a seperate thread for each person Rumms :) Ie Floydian would have his own thread, I would have my own thread...

I'm against the idea, for a number of reasons, but mainly because it encourages competition and stifles the community spirit.

#33 Spike4072

Spike4072
  • 612 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:06 PM

I'm against the idea, for a number of reasons, but mainly because it encourages competition and stifles the community spirit.

Yeah that is pretty much what I was getting at. Dont want the "Why does that thread have more comments than my thread?" thing.

I think the seperate section thing sounds like a good idea.

#34 lemonio

lemonio
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:06 PM

Hi everybody, it's me. I hope everybody's enjoying the new stay here so far. SC, Liam, and everybody at SHS has been so gracious to us, lets try to take some time to thank them for the new haven.

As you know, the move over here to SHS was a bumpy one, but I think it was good for all parties involved. The ESF got their thread "back", and we're here with a great new group of people, an open board and all the freedom in the world. With freedom comes responsibility, and so I'd like to take some time to address a few issues that have been plaguing us, maybe before we moved over here. I'm sure we're all grown-ups here, and if we aren't we know how to act like it, and I'd really like to encourage a community atmosphere where we as a group can come to decisions we all agree upon, instead of relying on a moderator to hold our hands and make all the decisions for us. Lets set a benchmark with this thread by displaying poise and demeanor as we talk about these issues. If anybody has any other issues they feel like they should bring up, feel free to do so.

1. The first issue I'd like to address is the rate of postings. I know, I probably sound like Tegger right now, but hear me out: I've noticed that a lot of people are amazed by the rate that these threads are moving in. A lot of it has to do with the comments/general chatting we're doing in the threads, along with the shots. One option that we didn't have before that we have now is the ability to post any thread we want to. So I was thinking, and of course it would be if everybody's in agreement, we could do like the 100th PooC thread and make two threads: one for comments/general chatting on screenshots, and the other for screenshots/stories. Now this wouldn't be a nazi "you off-topic! no soup for you!" thing, but I think a lot of people's works are being looked over because the thread is moving at such a fast rate. I'd love to hear feedback on this.

2. The second issue is perhaps a little bit tougher to deal with, but I'd like to get it out in the open right now so there's no doubts. Unfortunately, we've discussed this over and over and I think some people will never accept it, and so we'll always be battling the stigma but I'm giving it another try. There is no "inside" and "outside" group. I really hadn't even heard the term until a few weeks ago when Mirrors messaged me about it. We (and I mean every last person that has ever posted in the thread) are a group of friends. For some reason, people feel alienated and excluded from us. I don't really understand why they feel that way, but it's more than one person, and I would like to squash this right now because we want to promote SHS as a place where anyone and everyone should feel welcome. The last thing I want to do is scare off new people from participating or joining in because they feel there's an "in crowd"

I'm sure all of us at some point in our lives have felt alienated, left out, singled-out. We know how much that feeling sucks. The last thing I want to do is make someone else feel like that. I know some of you like Kalia, and Shadow', and GF1 (oh how we miss your presence GF) have tried to take time out of their day to make sure and comment on everybody's pictures. That's extra-special coming from Kalia, bless her heart, I feel honored, and grateful she uses the energy she's allotted on us :) That says a lot. I also understand that people like Floydian, and Spike, and JazzJR aren't very good with words, as are a lot of us.

I think a good example of what can come from just mustering up the courage to open your mouth and participate is Popcorn. He wanted to post, we welcomed him. He had questions and problems with importing faces, we tried to accommodate him. Now he's taking great shots, and joining in on the rest of the discussion like we all love to do.

So the question here is, what can we as a group do to obliterate this notion that there's an "inside" click? Of course there is only so much we can do, 99% of it is just people speaking up and participating. Like my dad always used to say, closed mouthes don't get fed. Regardless, I'm hoping we can come up with some sort of gameplan here to include everybody in the fun. Lets discuss this, and get it out of the way so we can move on with our postings.

Thanks for reading.

intresting ideas.

however,
"your honor, i object to the phrase "civilzed adults"" it does not include young people and old people and assumes only adults are civilzed
i think we should replace it with "civilized homosapiens"
:P
lol
no, these are intresting ideas.
Twenty-two astronauts were born in Ohio. What is it about your state that makes people want to flee the earth?
-Stephen Colbert

#35 SeV

SeV
  • Modder
  • 390 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:07 PM

lol old people aren't adults? :P it applies to young adults too hehe...

#36 Hector the Hooded

Hector the Hooded

Lord of the Nazgūl

• Modder
  • 1164 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:08 PM

Ok, here is how I think we should do the comments/thread things to keep it clutterless and still managable and appealing to everyone.

To start, in the opening post, I think we should have a link to the posts comments thread.

1. The comments thread will NOT be closed untill the picture thread reaches 200

2. We should make another section in the Oblivion area entitled, Picture archives.

4. When we get 5 FULL picture and comment threads, we pick them out of the Oblivion Screenshot section and drop 'em in the archives.

4. At the very top we should have the Oblivion Picture Comments # 5, followed by Oblivion Picture Thread #5, and the rest shall follow in descending order.

5. Those threads will be locked in the archive, so no more posting commenting in those threads keeping everything nice and neat.

6. This should reduce and clutter and keep everything nice and neat once 5 full comments and picture threads are done, since we will only have ten picture/comment threads in the Screenshot thread at a time.

Comments? Ideas? Yay/Nay?

Edited by Hector the Hooded, 08 May 2007 - 12:17 PM.

#37 PoPc0rN

PoPc0rN
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:16 PM

Ok, here is how I think we should do the comments/thread things to keep it clutterless and still managable and appealing to everyone.

To start, in the opening post, I think we should have a link to the posts comments thread.

1. The comments thread will NOT be closed untill the picture thread reaches 200

2. We should make another section in the Oblivion area entitled, Picture archives.

4. When we get 5 FULL picture and comment threads, we pick them out of the Oblivion Screenshot section and drop 'em in the archives.

4. At the very top we should have the Oblivion Picture Comments # 5, followed by Oblivion Picture Thread #5, and the rest shall follow in descending order.

5. Those threads will be locked in the archive, so no more posting commenting in those threads keeping everything nice and neat.

6. This should reduce and clutter and keep everything nice and neat once 5 full comments and picture threads are done, since we will only have ten picture/comment threads in the Screenshot thread at a time.

Comments? Ideas? Yea/Nay?

I think it Yay or Nay, not Yea :) Good Idea, But im not following you. (Literally and figuratively) I dont understand what your trying to say. After 5 closed threads of chatting and screening, then you get the best screens and keep them in another thread?

If thats the case then who choses the best Screens?

Posted Image

#38 Hector the Hooded

Hector the Hooded

Lord of the Nazgūl

• Modder
  • 1164 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:18 PM

No, we have an "archive" section, so after 5 picture threads (and comment threads) we pick those threads up, move them to the archive sections, set them up so they are in descending numerical order then lock 'em.

So we have everything, but not all in the Oblivion Screenshot thread, so we reduce clutter and complaints.

Edited by Hector the Hooded, 08 May 2007 - 12:21 PM.

#39 lemonio

lemonio
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:21 PM

i don't get it. there is a thread with only pictures, and a thread with only comments?
Twenty-two astronauts were born in Ohio. What is it about your state that makes people want to flee the earth?
-Stephen Colbert

#40 PoPc0rN

PoPc0rN
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:22 PM

No, we have an "archive" section, so after 5 picture threads (and comment threads) we pick those threads up, move them to the archive sections, set them up so they are in descending numerical order then lock 'em.

So we have everything, but not all in the Oblivion Screenshot thread.

Ahhh, Sounds good, neat and tidy. So what happens to this Archive after about 20 Topics? Just stays there? Doesnt make a new one?

Posted Image