Photo

BEst perfomance upgrade mods?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kimory

Kimory

The Official... Something... Of the something forum...

• 117 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 04:37 PM

I love taking screenshots and walking around and doing MANY things in Oblivion, but I want it less laggy. It lags way too much, so I'm asking you guys (espescially the Oblivion pros like gf1 and floydian and SeV and company) what mods I should get. I know there's Streamline and low-poly grass, but what are the other great performance upgrades?
"There is no genius without a touch of madness" Sheogorath
Xbox 360 and PC user
What am I working on now?
Remake of my Draconian Race, which was lost long ago...

#2 Hector the Hooded

Hector the Hooded

Lord of the Nazgūl

• Modder
  • 1164 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:20 PM

Right now? For bugfixed and quality get this - http://planeteldersc...w...ail&id=1417. Also, if you have Shivering Isles get this - Shiv Patch
Qarn is also working on a specific mod - Operaiton Optimization (not any where near complete!) which breaks all large meshes into smaller easier to handle meshes, and in some areas, you get around 20-30 fPS boost. It is also compatable with all texture repalces and doesn't decrease quality!

I also recommend this mod - Bomret's Texture replacer. It increase almost all textures, but it doesn't increase the texture size (like Qarls) so you get better quality with no FPS drop.

#3 Tassadar88

Tassadar88

Templar in Flames

• 1302 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 01:42 AM

I was always using Oldblivion, for lack of knowledge of anything better, and it worked for me. It is quite possible that you can get better results than I did (GeForce5700 FX, Sempron running at app 1900 Mhz and a gig of ram).

To anyone who has more experience with Oblivion than me: Do you generally recommend Oldblivion or not?
The Mind is its own place and in itself - can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven. -John Milton, Paradise lost

#4 Luchaire

Luchaire
  • 264 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:02 AM

To anyone who has more experience with Oblivion than me: Do you generally recommend Oldblivion or not?

No. If someone's computer is outdated or under par so that Oldblivion is required*, I recommend they cough up the bucks and upgrade or go play Morrowind. There's no point in playing a game that looks as good as this one if you're going to sacrifice all the visuals to do it and still have craptastic performance. The game itself -- story, playability, etc -- are far inferior to Morrowind, so why not play that and at least get good performance *and* have it look like it's supposed to?

*If you have any thing better than a Radeon 9250 or Nvidia FX-series, you do not need Oldblivion.

#5 SeV

SeV
  • Modder
  • 390 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 02:54 PM

unfortunately, floydian and I own the same pc's, which are in the high-end category. However, don't let that discourage you, we had one member posting UNBELIEVABLY good pics and I think he has a 9600 pro or something?

I'm glad Luchaire moved over here with us, because he's a great help at the ESF help section =) My recommendation would be to go over the tweak guides at www.tweakguides.com and trying out the many different tweaks they have there. It doesn't sound like much, but believe me, it works =) another way to reduce stuttering is to of course defrag your hd often. You'd be surprise how fragmented it gets from just surfing the web.

I'm sorry, I wish I could give you more advice :(

My avatar courtesy of my own little personal artist, Rumms

#6 Luchaire

Luchaire
  • 264 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 03:01 PM

On the subject of defragging... if you're going to do it, do it right:

http://disktrix.com/index.htm