Poll Results

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 SeV

SeV
  • Modder
  • 390 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:49 AM

Ok, polls are officially closed. Thanks to everybody that participated and voted. This thread is going to be dedicated to discussing the outcome of the poll, and how everything is set up so we can take it over to the big chieftains down the hall and they can make the changes. First I'll list the poll results and exactly what that means so everybody's clear:

1. SHOULD WE SPLIT UP THE PICTURES THREAD INTO TWO THREADS: ONE FOR SCREENSHOTS AND ONE FOR COMMENTS:

Passed. As stated before, this means we'll be diving the main thread into two separate threads; one will contain all of our pictures, the other will be comments for our pictures. I'm sure most of us remember the way things we set up for the 100th thread. It'll be the same situation. I'm thinking maybe we should limit the thread cut-off point to 100 instead of 200, because the feedback thread is obviously going to be much longer than the post thread, and I prefer not to have a pictures thread with 20 posts and a comments thread with over 300..

2. SHOULD WE MAKE A SEPARATE SECTION FOR ARCHIVING OLD THREADS:

Passed. This is just to keep things a bit more organized. One the PooC thread reaches it's limit, it'll be locked and dumped to a separate section (please note, section does not equal thread) of the board. We'll keep them there for everybody to enjoy, while the new thread is still here in the "Oblivion Screenshots" thread.

3. SHOULD WE MAKE A FEEDBACK/WIP SECTION:

Passed.
The feedback/WIP section will be for individual projects people are working on, where they would want more detailed opinion, help and advice on things like retextures, weapons, houses, and other things they're working on. People will be able to create their own little personal thread and post up what they're doing and hear feedback from people.

4. SHOULD WE KEEP A SEPARATE SECTION FOR STORIES:

Passed.
This will be a separate "section" for stories and picture-stories. So instead of posting your story in the pictures thread, you're going to make your own thread in the Stories section. This way we can keep track of all your awesome stories and you guys can receive comments and feedback on them as well. PLEASE NOTE however: one of the duties that have been assigned to us as mods is to try to integrate the "two" parties here at SHS. Meaning Us, the "Oblivians", and the rest of SHS. There is a perfectly good section for posting your fanfic stories entitled Scribbles on the Wall. They even host little monthly contests for the best fanfic, so please don't hesitate to participate in that section too. I know they would love to read all the great story-lined that we've come up with.

5. SHOULD WE KEEP POLITICS AND RELIGION IN THE LOUNGE AREA:

Passed. I cringed a bit when I put this up on the ballot. I hope everybody understands why this went up. Politics and religion are probably the most controversial topics known to man. There will ALWAYS be difference of opinions when trying to bring up these topics. Therefore, as much as I hate censorship of any kind, for the sake of keeping the peace, lets utilize the lounge area to discuss any kind of political or religious views we have.

6. SHOULD WE KEEP NUDE PICTURES IN A SEPARATE THREAD:

Failed. It was actually "closer" than I thought it would be. Basically, we have decided that it's ok to post nudity, as long as it's in link form and not [img] form. Some people view these threads from work, other people just don't like looking at poly penises and tits, so let's be respectful of this and keep these kinds of images labeled with a "nudity warning" of some kind so people will know ahead of time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man that's an ugly post... I need a "woman's touch" with my interior redoco-posting... :wacko: :blink: anyways that's pretty much it. Spike, Hector and myself are hard at work behind the scenes trying to get this up and going. Please feel free to add and/or make changes to the above, there will probably be another upcoming post finalizing these rules once everybody's had their say. It will then go up as a sticky and we can get on will our posting :)

Thanks for reading

Edited by SeV, 10 May 2007 - 12:11 PM.

My avatar courtesy of my own little personal artist, Rumms

#2 Hector the Hooded

Hector the Hooded

Lord of the Nazgūl

• Modder
  • 1164 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:51 AM

Great SeV, now you, me and Spike need to divide up the sections!

I hate seeing that Political/Religion passed, but it can be controversial!

Edit- I don't want to change the cutoff point. Maybe for the comments thread, but not the picture thread.

Edited by Hector the Hooded, 10 May 2007 - 11:52 AM.

#3 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:58 AM

4. SHOULD WE KEEP A SEPARATE SECTION FOR STORIES:

Passed.
This will be a separate "section" for stories and picture-stories. So instead of posting your story in the pictures thread, you're going to make your own thread in the Stories section. This way we can keep track of all your awesome stories and you guys can receive comments and feedback on them as well. PLEASE NOTE however: one of the duties that have been assigned to us as mods is to try to integrate the "two" parties here at SHS. Meaning Us, the "Oblivians", and the rest of SHS. There is a perfectly good section for posting your fanfic stories entitled Layers Of Reality. They even host little monthly contests for the best fanfic, so please don't hesitate to participate in that section too. I know they would love to read all the great story-lined that we've come up with.

Exactly, save one detail. Scribbles on the Wall is fanfic. Layers of Reality is fanart.

EDIT: Fixed tags. :doh:

Edited by Kellen, 10 May 2007 - 11:59 AM.

"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#4 Spike4072

Spike4072
  • 612 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:02 PM

Exactly, save one detail. Scribbles on the Wall is fanfic. Layers of Reality is fanart.

Yes I was going to say somthing about this but the poll was already up. We need to work on ways to get all the new oblivion people out into the rest of SHS. So adding stuff that there already is on other parts of the board is only going to keep people in this corner of the board.

Edited by Spike4072, 10 May 2007 - 12:03 PM.

#5 SeV

SeV
  • Modder
  • 390 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:03 PM

Great SeV, now you, me and Spike need to divide up the sections!

I hate seeing that Political/Religion passed, but it can be controversial!

Edit- I don't want to change the cutoff point. Maybe for the comments thread, but not the picture thread.

Sure, lets hear what everybody thinks about it. I odn't care either way, I just threw it up there for people to discuss.

What's everybody think about the cut-off point? The problem with cutting off the comments thread is we're going to have to tag it as, for example, "pictures of oblivion characters #12 comment thread #3", which IMO is going to get messy.

errr :blush: whoops? There goes my atttention to detail, sorry about that

#6 kalia

kalia
  • 454 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:04 PM

1) I agree with SeV on the cutoff. (Sorry Hector. :P ) It'd be easier for me to keep up if there's fewer posts/thread. However, I'd like several threads kept current on this part of the forum, so people can browse backwards. On the other hand, would people feel like "Oh My God I Missed An Entire Thread I'll Just Skip It" if they could only check in a couple of times per week? And could I clarify that we're *not* cutting of the comments thread until the related piccie thread closes, correct? EDIT: I *definitely* don't want the comments thread cut off. I agree it'd get messy. And one long thread seems more conversational, and also more likely for people to not miss comments made at the end of the last edition.

2) Cool. See above on the thread limit. Only thing about this is that I've been using links to refer to piccie posts in my comments, and those links would break quickly if the thread is *immediately* moved after closing. Perhaps we could have the current & the one just before remain here?

3)Very cool. And I'd like to encourage people, if the mods feel this is ok, to post in the comments thread linking to whatever thread they've started in wip section asking for comments, if they feel their thread isn't getting much attention. It may take a little while for some us (ok, me) to remember there's other parts I need to be looking at! (On an unrelated note: people seem to really appreciate the time I take to comment, so I'll add this: if you want my opinion on something in particular & I haven't said anything, feel free to PM me. I like getting PMs!)

4) Very very cool. I wouldn't mind at all people linking over to a story they'd posted on the main site. I'm really looking forward to reading multi-installment stories in one sitting! edited again also to say: If I remember correctly, this was one of the closer wins? Perhaps those who write stories could take a look at that part of this board (I know Rumples has already visited) and chime in with how comfortable they'd feel there? We could always link little announcements in the comments thread - "new story here!" etc.

5) This was my request, so let me state what I had in mind, and what I read into SeV's statement: I'm not for banning political discussion, but what seems funny to one person can easily be taken as insulting to someone else. Plus, see SeV's thing above about integrating into the bigger group! I hope this can be taken as a self-moderated thing, where we're all adults and a comment here or there doesn't get everyone all up in a huff or warrant post-deletion or anything. Just I think of that kind of like nudity - one shouldn't have to read it if one doesn't want to. I hope that came across right. I'm in a house with a lot of political discussion, and I really need a break when I come here. :P

6) I'm surprised at how close it was too - after posting the idea, I immediately read several very good arguments against it, and even my mind was changed. I guess more people would like to play their characters entirely in the buff than I thought! :P

EDITED to add: Oh, what about -- gawd, what was it I was just thinking? - shoot - Oh yeah! Reposting? Is this being discouraged in the new format?

I'd like to add my appreciation to our great moderators for the effort they're putting into this! You guys all rock! :wub:

Edited by kalia, 10 May 2007 - 12:09 PM.

#7 Kaelis Ebonrai

Kaelis Ebonrai

The Nightblood Reigns..

• 294 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:09 PM

Sounds good. I'm unsure about the changing of the limits, but, we'll try and figure that out.

As for the archiving, I'd like to keep the numbering standard. as in: #1 -> #whatever. Like we have been doing since the beginning. =)

EDIT: @kalia: I'm unsure if they'd be broken, I can't quite remember if it'd change the topic ID. If it doesn't, those links should still work. =)

Edited by Kaelis Ebonrai, 10 May 2007 - 12:11 PM.

#8 Kellen

Kellen

• 7092 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:15 PM

Not a problem. Just wanted to help. :) <--Encouraging/friendly smiley.

Yes I was going to say somthing about this but the poll was already up. We need to work on ways to get all the new oblivion people out into the rest of SHS. So adding stuff that there already is on other parts of the board is only going to keep people in this corner of the board.

I don't know entirely what all was planned with the Stories section, but I'd assumed that was for stories like this in which the text is linked to screenshots as well. Or screenshot stories, like the Fighter's Guild comic strip type thing.

As I am only a guest in this section, with only a vague idea of what's going on, I could be wrong. And if so feel free to ignore this post. ;)

Hope no one minds the overactiveness here of the guy who doesn't even own Oblivion.

EDIT: Allow me to let you have your forum back. Heheh :Bow:

Edited by Kellen, 10 May 2007 - 12:16 PM.

"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

#9 Hector the Hooded

Hector the Hooded

Lord of the Nazgūl

• Modder
  • 1164 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:15 PM

@ Kalia - The "cutoff" thing that SeV propsed means creating more threads, which, when they are archived will = mess/clutterness.

I agree with everything but the cutoff and no religion/politcal conversations. But I can take a dose of salt for the second one!

#10 kalia

kalia
  • 454 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:22 PM

OK, one last post from me then I really need to get offline! :P

Kellen: No, please - I'd love to see more of the non-Oblivion folks in here, myself, esp once we get the comments thread going!

Hector: OK, I do see your point about the piccies thread limit, actually - that's a good thought. I'm just concerned that the coments thread would be 2000000 posts long! And I really really don't want split comments threads. I guess we could try with both limits, since that's just something we're doing ourselves anyway, and see how it goes. As far as politics go - get thee to the Lounge here & start interacting! :P I saw a thread there on global warming you'd probably take right to . . . .

Kaelis: Ah, okay - see this is why I need others' technical input on that UESP thingy.

#11 Victoria

Victoria

Resident Pixie

• 1489 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:25 PM

I don't know entirely what all was planned with the Stories section, but I'd assumed that was for stories like this in which the text is linked to screenshots as well. Or screenshot stories, like the Fighter's Guild comic strip type thing.

As I am only a guest in this section, with only a vague idea of what's going on, I could be wrong. And if so feel free to ignore this post. ;)

Hope no one minds the overactiveness here of the guy who doesn't even own Oblivion.

It would be like this in my case I would just repost this here if that's ok?

http://www.forumplan...amp;tid=2003758
Posted Image
Click For My Screenshot Gallery
My Mods on TESNexus - deviantART
Thanks to Gizmodian for the wonderful sig!

#12 Hector the Hooded

Hector the Hooded

Lord of the Nazgūl

• Modder
  • 1164 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:31 PM

@ Kalia - I'm saying we don't cap the comment thread. Well, we do, but only when the picture thread is finished (which means comments thread will be longer), then we pick 'em up and drop 'em in the archives!

#13 Kellen

Kellen

• 7092 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:42 PM

@Floydian1 Aye, that's what I was thinking it would be for. But as said, I could be wrong.

Kaelis, Hector, Sev, and Spike would likely have a greater idea of what is what is what.

EDIT: Reading story. Nice so far.

Edited by Kellen, 10 May 2007 - 12:43 PM.

#14 Hector the Hooded

Hector the Hooded

Lord of the Nazgūl

• Modder
  • 1164 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:53 PM

That is excatly what we are talking about, Kellen! Nice, Floyd!

#15 SeV

SeV
  • Modder
  • 390 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:58 PM

1) I agree with SeV on the cutoff. (Sorry Hector. :P ) It'd be easier for me to keep up if there's fewer posts/thread. However, I'd like several threads kept current on this part of the forum, so people can browse backwards. On the other hand, would people feel like "Oh My God I Missed An Entire Thread I'll Just Skip It" if they could only check in a couple of times per week? And could I clarify that we're *not* cutting of the comments thread until the related piccie thread closes, correct? EDIT: I *definitely* don't want the comments thread cut off. I agree it'd get messy. And one long thread seems more conversational, and also more likely for people to not miss comments made at the end of the last edition.

2) Cool. See above on the thread limit. Only thing about this is that I've been using links to refer to piccie posts in my comments, and those links would break quickly if the thread is *immediately* moved after closing. Perhaps we could have the current & the one just before remain here?

3)Very cool. And I'd like to encourage people, if the mods feel this is ok, to post in the comments thread linking to whatever thread they've started in wip section asking for comments, if they feel their thread isn't getting much attention. It may take a little while for some us (ok, me) to remember there's other parts I need to be looking at! (On an unrelated note: people seem to really appreciate the time I take to comment, so I'll add this: if you want my opinion on something in particular & I haven't said anything, feel free to PM me. I like getting PMs!)

4) Very very cool. I wouldn't mind at all people linking over to a story they'd posted on the main site. I'm really looking forward to reading multi-installment stories in one sitting! edited again also to say: If I remember correctly, this was one of the closer wins? Perhaps those who write stories could take a look at that part of this board (I know Rumples has already visited) and chime in with how comfortable they'd feel there? We could always link little announcements in the comments thread - "new story here!" etc.

5) This was my request, so let me state what I had in mind, and what I read into SeV's statement: I'm not for banning political discussion, but what seems funny to one person can easily be taken as insulting to someone else. Plus, see SeV's thing above about integrating into the bigger group! I hope this can be taken as a self-moderated thing, where we're all adults and a comment here or there doesn't get everyone all up in a huff or warrant post-deletion or anything. Just I think of that kind of like nudity - one shouldn't have to read it if one doesn't want to. I hope that came across right. I'm in a house with a lot of political discussion, and I really need a break when I come here. :P

6) I'm surprised at how close it was too - after posting the idea, I immediately read several very good arguments against it, and even my mind was changed. I guess more people would like to play their characters entirely in the buff than I thought! :P

EDITED to add: Oh, what about -- gawd, what was it I was just thinking? - shoot - Oh yeah! Reposting? Is this being discouraged in the new format?

I'd like to add my appreciation to our great moderators for the effort they're putting into this! You guys all rock! :wub:

1. The only thing I'm concerned about is... we know how we all like to chat. About everything. ;) The screeenshots take up maybe 20% of the tread as-is, the rest is us commenting and chattering about. Lets try no cut-off on the chatter thread, and see how that goes. I just hope nobody's comments are missed because of the flow of the thread.

2. I don't know how it works here, but in the ESF which uses the same board, when you move a thread the link stays the same.

3. Yes, make sure to let us know that you're working on something :) You can even post a sceenie on the pictures thread of what you're working on and then note at the bottom that there's a WIP thread attached to it. I think that's a great idea.

4. Yes, I've been dying to read Hector's story, but somehow I missed some parts and promised myself I wouldn't read anything until it was all together. Once again, I think linkage would be key.

5. Agreed. Will comment in detail further down the post

6. Fair enough

As for your edit, I KNEW I forgot something. :doh: Dammit. What's everybody's opinions on reposts? I think it would be silly to repost on a pictures thread that isn't going to be moving very fast in the first place. I really, REAALLY think we can do without reposts. The pictures will awalys be there in the archives if anybody wants to take a look.

Please, we enjoy the feedback from all areas :) This isn't "our" forum, it's "Ooouuur (SHS)" forum :) everybody is welcome. I don't want to make it look like there's a huge distinction between our little corner and the rest of SHS :)

NOTE: "I hope this can be taken as a self-moderated thing, where we're all adults and a comment here or there doesn't get everyone all up in a huff or warrant post-deletion or anything."
- Kalia :wub:

Yes, I couldn't have said it better myself Kalia, but I'll try:

I don't want to ban people. I don't want to warn people. I don't want to close anything, or tell people to play nice. I know where all coming from an environment where it was them (the mods) versus us (the people). It's not like that here. We (me spike and hector) are nothing more than MEDIATORS. We listen to what you guys have to say, and relay it back to the staff at SHS. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. It's a funny thing about internet message boards. People love to argue and flame each other, but they never argue in PM. Why? Because they rather do it out in the public where everybody can see. "callin out" people of sorts. It's a method of gaining attention. Therefore, if two people decide that they positively hate each other and can't get along, the most "I" will ever do is the same thing you do with any kind of trash: make a new thread out in the middle of nowhere, and politely move their conversation out of the way so people don't have to step over it. There they can solve their differences until their faces turn blue. Without no one around to spectate, however, it quickly seems to dissipate. I'm not saying this because I don't care, I'm saying this because I respect everyone as mature people on the board that can all "self-moderate" like Kalia said without intervention.

I'm only speaking for myself on this, I'm sure Spike and Hec have their own personal moderating philosophies. Apologies if I sound like I'm ranting, and I promise I'm not referring to anyone either. I just felt the need to get that out in the open.

#16 Hector the Hooded

Hector the Hooded

Lord of the Nazgūl

• Modder
  • 1164 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 01:01 PM

I'm going to post ALL 5(or 6?) of my stories here the second the Stories section is here.

The comment thread needs to stay one thread, it can be one long thread, but a thread nonetheless..

#17 Soul_Slayer

Soul_Slayer
  • Modder
  • 981 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 01:03 PM

I'm against reposts, I'd rather see new screenies than have the first page or two filled with ones from the previous thread. :cheers:

EDIT: Great story Floydian. :cheers:

Edited by Soul_Slayer, 10 May 2007 - 01:05 PM.

#18 Rumpleteasza

Rumpleteasza

Bargain-Bin Bondgirl

• 288 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 01:17 PM

As for your edit, I KNEW I forgot something. :doh: Dammit. What's everybody's opinions on reposts? I think it would be silly to repost on a pictures thread that isn't going to be moving very fast in the first place. I really, REAALLY think we can do without reposts. The pictures will awalys be there in the archives if anybody wants to take a look.

I think that before, reposts from sucha fast-moving thread were justified, but if we're going to be having one slow-moving pictures thread, they're probably not neccessary. Perhaps we could allow reposts from the last ten posts before a thread is locked? A set number, maybe, so everything is perfectly cut and dried and people know where they stand?
New avatar in honour of SeV/Jade, because everyone knows Jade brings all the (elves? Humans? Tabaxi? Let's just say girls, shall we?) to the yard.
Well... not quite so appropriate now I changed it. Sorry, Jadikins. <3 <3

The King and I
The Emperor and I

#19 Kellen

Kellen

• 7092 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 01:30 PM

@Hector Cool!

Not a problem. Just wanted to help. :)

Please, we enjoy the feedback from all areas :) This isn't "our" forum, it's "Ooouuur (SHS)" forum :) everybody is welcome. I don't want to make it look like there's a huge distinction between our little corner and the rest of SHS :)

Oh I simply meant, I'd stop trying to explain how I thought things were going to work from what was said. I'll still be visiting/posting/commenting on pretty screenies/etc.

So yeah. Good story.

And I'll see you all elsewhere around here... :) <--Sorta a... :unsure: hmm... yeah, that good kind of smiley. So :)

#20 Hector the Hooded

Hector the Hooded

Lord of the Nazgūl

• Modder
  • 1164 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 01:32 PM

I think, when you post new screens, you could advertise links/repost your images in THAT post. Only if you feel it is neccasary to repost though. So that way you get something new and something old.

So an example would be like this -

Pic 1

Pic 2

pic 3

Then when you make a repost you will do this

New pic 1

New pic 2

New Pic 3

Repost:

Old Pic 1

Old Pic 2

Old Pic 3

Sounds like a happy medium?

Edited by Hector the Hooded, 10 May 2007 - 01:40 PM.