• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Flucidity

Flucidity

Screen Shot Jockey/Mod Fiddler

• Modder
  • 213 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 01:31 PM

Hello I just had a general question for anyone willing to help.

I ve been reading some of the guides linked to the Blender website, and was fooling around with original nif files to see if I could alter them to what i want to do, and make sense of the instructions. But, the program is quite daunting, and I need to read more . Only thing I really know how to do in Blender is open a file, split the screen and make a UV file, lol Would it be easier to make it from scratch, or alter an original nif? The original nif files I extracted, I'm a little confused on which ones to use: gold, silver amulet. one has 1st and 3rd person nif, other has only 3rd? (maybe I didn't extract them all?)

(easier to alter dimensions, or create them) Problem I see have with creating it is getting the right size, i guess. I cant seem to minipulate the originals well. Would like to get these made into amulets.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Sig.jpg

A rare beauty in the north, she's the finest lady on earth.
A glance from her, the whole city falls; a second glance leaves the whole nation in ruins.
There exists no city or nation, that has been more cherished
Than a beauty like this.
-Han Dynasty poet Li Yannian

Flucidity's Texture Resource

#2 SickleYield

SickleYield
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:13 AM

People often do edit original nifs, but for something as small as an amulet that really only needs to be painted to two bones (and that's only if you make your own chain for it instead of use the original one) I'd go custom.

Some tips getting started:

Pay attention to modes - there are things you can only do in Edit, Object or Sculpt mode. It's easiest to add weight to bones in Edit by assigning vertex groups. Once you get a little further on I'll be happy to explain how.

Learn the shortcuts. They're absolutely necessary to any kind of efficient modding. To look at different views press number pad 1 through 7. Ctrl and one of the numbers shows you the mirrored opposite view.

Learn to UV map. This is not something you can leave for later or hope someone else will do - it's one of the harder things in making new models. Whenever you design something new, do it with this in mind - don't make a ridiculously complicated mesh without mapping as you go along and then realize you'll never be able to texture it.

Use modifiers. You can make a perfectly symmetrical object by just making one half of it and then applying the mirror modifier.

Google the Construction Set Wiki. It has a lot of modeling and texturing tutorials specific to Oblivion.

With Blender all you can really do is buckle down and put in the time. Good luck!
Posted Image

I love Elves. They taste like chicken.

#3 Flucidity

Flucidity

Screen Shot Jockey/Mod Fiddler

• Modder
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:50 AM

Thanks for the response, but I'll have to put it off until i get my printing press up and running to duplicate all the online documentation. (guess i could buy a book?)

Kwai Chang Caine: Master, forgive me for I have failed.
Master Poe: You have not failed no one Grasshopper, only your own ambition.
KCC: My ambition?
Poe: It is sometimes difficult, is it not, for you to remember that you are but a humble priest?
KCC: Yet, as a man I sometimes greatly fear that I may fail.
Poe: If that is our destiny, you cannot change it. But do not go in fear, Grasshopper. Fear is eternal darkness. Go instead with inner strength. For it is like a deep river, into which all streams flow. It increases, always moving forward. And soon, there is nothing that can stand in its way.?KF: Movie*

Master Poe: At times the task you face, may seem overwhelming. And you may feel unequal to what is required.
Young Kwai Chang Caine: Master, I observe others, and they seem to know the way.
Poe: Do you?
Young KCC: I am puzzled and unsure. I move one way, and then another. To no purpose.
Poe: And therefore, grieve.
Young KCC: Yes, master.
Poe: The sage has said "Others are contented, I alone am drifting. Not knowing where I am. I am different. I am nourished by the great mother. In an uncertain hour, the wise man acknowledges uncertainty.?KF:Movie*

Sig.jpg

A rare beauty in the north, she's the finest lady on earth.
A glance from her, the whole city falls; a second glance leaves the whole nation in ruins.
There exists no city or nation, that has been more cherished
Than a beauty like this.
-Han Dynasty poet Li Yannian

Flucidity's Texture Resource

#4 Najaknevrec

Najaknevrec
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 05:16 AM

Hello I just had a general question for anyone willing to help.

I ve been reading some of the guides linked to the Blender website, and was fooling around with original nif files to see if I could alter them to what i want to do, and make sense of the instructions. But, the program is quite daunting, and I need to read more . Only thing I really know how to do in Blender is open a file, split the screen and make a UV file, lol Would it be easier to make it from scratch, or alter an original nif? The original nif files I extracted, I'm a little confused on which ones to use: gold, silver amulet. one has 1st and 3rd person nif, other has only 3rd? (maybe I didn't extract them all?)

(easier to alter dimensions, or create them) Problem I see have with creating it is getting the right size, i guess. I cant seem to minipulate the originals well. Would like to get these made into amulets.
Posted Image
Posted Image

I was a Blender noob not too long ago (well may be I still am, but now I can have some things done.) Here are liks to tutorials which helped me a lot. You might try these:
http://en.wikibooks....3D:_Noob_to_Pro
http://cs.elderscrol..._Blender_Part_1
http://www.alys.org/...de-for-Oblivion
especially the last one is very good.
good luck