Photo

Comments about PoOC thread #7

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
429 replies to this topic

#381 Luchaire

Luchaire
  • 264 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:51 PM

I wouldn't recommend going with ATI just because of the black screen problems GF.....

Ditto.

There are two separate "black screen" problems. One (the older one) is caused by a shaderpackage issue, and is pretty much non-existent as of the 93.xx and newer drivers. The other version surfaced after the 1.2 patch and seems to manifest mostly when going through doors. This problem is fixable in several ways (different people have luck with different fixes):

1. Change iShadowMapResolution in the oblivion.ini file (in My Documents/My Games/Oblivion/) to 1024 or 2048. The 1.2 patch reduced it to 256, which apparently causes issues with certain Nvidia cards + drivers + chipset combinations.

2. Use certain newer 3rd party tweaked drivers (158.xx iirc) - I don't generally recommend this, since I'm a big proponent of "if Nvidia meant for you to use those drivers, they'd have released the drivers with an .inf file compatible with your GPU in the first place". Still, if you're up for it and willing to risk instability issues, give 'em a try (www.tweaksrus.com).

3. The third solution involves something with custom meshes and triangulation and nifskope. I don't know much about this though, having had no reason to dig into the issue.

Even all that aside, I'd still heartily recommend not going with an ATI if you're shopping for a new performance-level card. Especially since the black screen problems seem to be almost universally restricted to 7600-7900 cards. I've not heard any valid cases of any 8800 cards having this problem at all.

It's hard to believe how badly ATI screwed the pooch on the R600... pretty much sucks wind across the board (like, epic suckage... think of it as "sucking worse than Texas"). If they don't pull their heads out of their asses soon, it's going to be a one-video-card-manufacturer market. :(

Edited by Luchaire, 17 May 2007 - 06:55 PM.

#382 Hector the Hooded

Hector the Hooded

Lord of the Nazgūl

• Modder
  • 1164 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:57 PM

@ Luch - I hate to say it, but it seems kinda singular right now...

#383 Luchaire

Luchaire
  • 264 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:58 PM

Well, sort of. ATI still has a pretty good chance at the low- and mid-range market, since the lower end Nvidia 8x00 cards pretty much blow chunks.

#384 SeV

SeV
  • Modder
  • 390 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:00 PM

Wonderful slideshow SeV, maybe it's a combination of the music and because I have Jade as a companion in my game, but I was really moved by it. :cheers:

ahhh, thanks Soul :) I should have saved the song for a better slideshow, I don't think I did the song justice by having it cut off like that but... ah well... I'll do better next time..

DAAMIT can go to hell for all I care... ATI's not doing any better with their optomistic promises. Nvidia FTW! :hug:

Edited by SeV, 17 May 2007 - 07:02 PM.

My avatar courtesy of my own little personal artist, Rumms

#385 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:00 PM

@SeV: I really liked the Jade slideshow. I apologize if this has already been answered somewhere else, but what was the song/band in it?

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#386 SeV

SeV
  • Modder
  • 390 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:15 PM

@SeV: I really liked the Jade slideshow. I apologize if this has already been answered somewhere else, but what was the song/band in it?

I get a compliment from the man himself... I didn't even think you lurked around this neck of the woods Seb :ph34r:

It's "this is your life" by Switchfoot. :)

#387 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:17 PM

I get a compliment from the man himself... I didn't even think you lurked around this neck of the woods Seb :ph34r:

I lurk everywhere. ;)

It's "this is your life" by Switchfoot. :)

Thanks! *goes to find*

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#388 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:22 PM

Good song.

Good screenies everyone.

@Die75 Do you know everytime I scan past your sig, I think it's a pirate with a gun? :doh:
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#389 Daiyoukai Ramza

Daiyoukai Ramza
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:26 PM

Sorry for being absent for the past day... I'm busy with the Halo 3 MP Beta, so I'll be scarce for a while. Anyway, time to comment.

@Floydian1: Neat dragon armour!

@Lemonia: Heh, nice screenshots, armour, and... flying ship (it appears like it's flying in the screenies, anyway). I've got the mod that has that armour, but I've not acquired it yet... and likely won't for a while.

@Sev: Avalon's looking as pretty as ever. Nice!

@DS Divine: Hrm, that first fighting shot seems a bit matrixy... lich #2/staff attack animation. The other shots are very... eerie, which is a good thing.

@VanQa: Hrm, she seems to be in a thoughtful mood. What's on her mind? Nice screenshot, in any case.

@Highpressure: Nice character! Haven't seen many character with pink hair. Works well with the clothes and eyes.

@Hector the Hooded: Heh, you and your quasi-harem getting into zany adventures and situations. Priceless.

@Kimory: Nice screenshots! Personally, I slightly prefer the second picture's hair colour. Hrm, is that the heavy or light arena raiment? Or a custom armour that looks like it?

@Oldmanpoo: Scary necromancer and even scarier undead army! The 5th screenshot's character looks REALLY young. Like 14 or 15.

@Spike4072: Hrm, friend or foe... who dost know? Hopefully you continue her story.

@Grimbot: A tribute to diablo II? Hrm, being a huge D2 fan, I approve.

@Soul Slayer: Poor dremora... oh well, at least he died to two scantily-clad women. What a way to go.

@DIE 75@: Yay, more screenie of Basho, our favorite Tang Mo samurai! I especially like the blacksmithing picture.

@Sick Yield: That's a fairly... odd looking weapon. Goes well with the character, which is fairly menacing, what with the stitches and all.

@Xetirox: I feel sorry for any enemies who have to fight a giant Daedroth! The second pic is really dramatic, though his thumb looks a bit... off, in some way.

@Zombie216: Very pretty character. Looks very, ah, what's the word? I guess I would describe the facial structure as regal or something along those lines.

@Luchaire: That is quite possibly the realistic asian woman I've ever seen in Oblivion. And as a guy who like asian women... I salute you. But, uh... there's no salute emoticon, so :Tasty: :Bow: and :new_thumbs: will have to do.

Hrm, I think that's all... did I miss anyone? If I did, then I apologize. Anyway, as I said, I'll be scarce for a while... Ciao!

Edited by Daiyoukai Ramza, 17 May 2007 - 07:29 PM.

Posted ImageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

You Are a Ham Sandwich

Posted Image

You are quiet, understated, and a great comfort to all of your friends.
Over time, you have proven yourself as loyal and steadfast.
And you are by no means boring. You do well in any situation - from fancy to laid back.

Your best friend: The Turkey Sandwich

Your mortal enemy: The Grilled Cheese Sandwich

#390 Hector the Hooded

Hector the Hooded

Lord of the Nazgūl

• Modder
  • 1164 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:09 PM

IG Hector @ Layla - I promise, I did NOT say I was going into buisness with gf1! I did, however know he had those...dolls....but he said he was going to get rid of them! I thought you knew he had them too....

By the way, I was very, very, very impressed how well you handled that sword, I mean....wow, that is attractive!

IG Hector @ gf1 - *IG Hector grabs a 50 pound hand-axe from his weapon rack* *Theme of the Godfather starts randomly playing* Come here you dirty little bastard. Try and put MY NAME into your sick little scheme, will ya!? I'm gonna cut you from your skull down too that "ticklish" area!

By the way, is there anyway you can directly upload music here? :P

Edited by Hector the Hooded, 17 May 2007 - 08:15 PM.

#391 greatfool1

greatfool1
  • 351 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:15 PM

I made a little slideshow tribute to my #1 girl Jade :wub:
The Life and Times of Jade
It didn't come out exactly as I planned, if people like it I'll do one for Avalon but in another method... maybe I'll ask the king of slideshows, Highpresure for his input
My apologies for the music cutting off! :S

Very nicely done, SeV! The pictures are very high quality, so that makes a huge difference, but also you did a great job on the transitions - smoothly, just like the whole show. Cool music too. I assume you can just add a second or so to each shot to have it last as long as the song does.

I used the first one highpressure was into - Flash Slide show presenter quite a bit - and found it pretty slick in a lot of ways - especially since it was free. There are some tips about it on the SS Guides - Page 2, I think.

Posted Image
A moment of reflection
Sunset 2
Totally not ripping off a kid in green tights...

Spectacular as always, Ryu! :clap:

Ok, I made a little slide show for you guys.
http://s202.photobuc...nt=57977273.pbr

Now, this was mainly a test to see if I could get it working. Its just a bunch of shots I took will killing outside of a fort, the next one will be more "epic" and have more close-up fight scenes.
THIS WAS A TEST. Oh, and does anyone know how to upload your own music? I want my next slide to play "Cypress Hill - Insane in the Brain"?

Well I always enjoy pictures of Hector - even if gf1 is now in hiding. Hopefully he has passed on to another life, though not likely.

The music generally is uploaded with the pics - at least it is in the Flash Slideshow presenter mentioned to SeV above.

IG Hector @ Layla - I promise, I did NOT say I was going into buisness with gf1! I did, however know he had those...dolls....but he said he was going to get rid of them! I thought you knew he had them too....

By the way, I was very, very, very impressed how well you handled that sword, I mean....wow, that is attractive!

IG Hector @ gf1 - *IG Hector grabs a 50 pound hand-axe from his weapon rack* *Theme of the Godfather starts randomly playing* Come here you dirty little bastard. Try and put MY NAME into your sick little scheme, will ya!? I'm gonna cut you from your skull down too that "ticklish" area!

By the way, is there anyway you can directly upload music here? :P

greatfool1 - What can I say, IG Hector? I have disowned gf1 as my mini-me indefinitely; this latest episode only confirms my total distaste for him. Layla is nursing him back to life after the scratch she inflicted on him - though he mourns the loss of his dollies still. He won't probably recover from this for - I would say, a few hours at least. So enjoy yourself and maybe Layla will drop by to say hello tomorrow.

Btw, she will probably believe that you had no part of this Layla love dolly business, but there is a rumor going around that you broke gf1's door down and set him free, after I told Layla to lock him up. This definitely would not fare well with her nor me - as you can clearly see why gf1 needs to be locked up. To gf1's credit (which I very reluctantly give to him), I think he really believed those dollies would sell and so he wanted to give credit where he felt credit was due - his supposedly-close-to-dying words were, "These dollies were inspired by IG Hector's great love for Layla". So I am giving you a heads-up that Layla may be posing (no, not that way!) a few questions for you tomorrow. Sleep well!

Edit: Thanks guys, for that clarification about the NVidia 8800 too - I thought the black screen problem happened with that card too.

Edited by greatfool1, 17 May 2007 - 09:39 PM.

#392 SeV

SeV
  • Modder
  • 390 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:34 PM

And hence, a new huntress of the night is born!

Really nice shots Xetirox, I especially like this one =)

#393 Axil

Axil
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:21 PM

Suni... Breton with some Akaviri ancestry somewhere...

Click to enlarge.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Luchaire which mod is the robe from - I used to wear that on my MW character and would like to get that again ( another great CI retexture)

#394 Chiglet

Chiglet
  • 405 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:27 PM

@ Soul_Slayer - That first pic so wants to become part of a Wizard of Oz set of sreenies. :)
http://www.shsforums...p...st&p=302964

@ SeV - Muted colours of character and some of the surroundings really makes the stained glass colours pop
http://www.shsforums...p...st&p=303059
@ Sev - Nice video. Someday, maybe I'll try one. Fpr npw, I'm going to just enjoy the ones people post here. :) BTW, the music seemed to only cut out at the end.
http://www.shsforums...p...st&p=304304

Greetings once again all, I know i kinda dropped off the world there for a few days and i Probably will be for a few days after this. Oblivion started having major crashes so i have been reinstalling everything and finding new mods.

I also have started trying to figure out the CS and Photoshop so i can start editing these pictures. Hopefully that will help take care of some some of my pictures looking so similar (yes Kalia I took that comment to heart :) )
<snip>

http://www.shsforums...p...st&p=303427
Guess this is the time for a couple f us to start and try to learn new things. :) My plan for the next 2 weeks is to completely reinstall Oblivion and the mods I use (leaving out the one's I really didn't like), and make a serious attempt to wrap my brain around the CS and one of the photo editing programs. Actually learn to do this modding stuff myself.

@ AlienSlof - Wonderful! Basil and the boys are here! :) I had just been asking GF1 when there would be some male eye-candy for the females around here to "toy" with. ;) :wub: :whistling:
http://www.shsforums...p...st&p=303471

@ oldmanpoo - Good to see you made it here. :) And with great pics as always. I think most of us here still peek in occasionally at the old site. Sometimes they even post pics. :)
http://www.shsforums...p...st&p=303749

@ MystykStar - Love that Skingrad Chapel shot.
http://www.shsforums...p...st&p=303918

@ Eldroth - Denys looks good. :) But then, to me, few Dremora look bad. :wub:
http://www.shsforums...p...st&p=304055

@ lemonio - That looks almost like a RL photo. Very nice.
http://www.shsforums...p...st&p=304192
Aaauuuggghh!!!! Cliffhanger!!!!!
http://www.shsforums...p...st&p=304329

@ Hector - Looks like it worked. :) The music that is on there works quite well too. What is it?
http://www.shsforums...p...st&p=304346

@ Layla - Uhm, if they get "hooked up", I would sorely hope that they are very good freinds as they would probably be rather close for a while at least.. BTW, you might try putting gf1 on ice to help him cool down so to speak.... :devil:
http://www.shsforums...p...st&p=304486

Shadow' - Yes, Hector's actually a mod here. Be afraid - be very afraid. :P
<snip>

Or, if you're female, try jumping on him. I think he likes that. Or was that IGHector that likes females jumping on him...? :whistling:

@ Xetirox - Cool shots!
http://www.shsforums...p...st&p=304520

I've got the ATI Radeon X1900 series. No problems with it since I've had it. Got SI and the 1.2 patch going as well. :) When we bought it, ATI was THE video card to get. and that was less than a year ago. the more things change,....

BTW, aorry for posting the links like this, but the buttons here are being pitas again. Wanted those links to be attached to names and such. Ah well. I now know how to post img links manually, but could someone let me know what to put for page/post links if/when I need to do things manually? :) Thanks

Chiglet :ph34r:

#395 Xetirox

Xetirox

The other Black Swordsman

• 74 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:33 PM

Layla - opens the door...WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gf1, EXPLAIN THIS TO ME NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha, ha, her expression and pose is priceless there! You blew it, man, you really blew it! ^_~

@Luchaire: Suni's lookin' good there, training in some very pretty woodland.

@Floydian: Heh heh heh! Fire! Fire! Yeah! Flame that ogre! Very awesome pics there, that armored dragon just kicks so much ass.

@Ryu Doppler
: Those are some very beautiful shots, especially the moment of reflection one.

@lemonio
: Wow! Those shots towards the end, with the gate and energy shooting out of the character are superb! Really kinetic and powerful looking!

@SeV: Thanks for your comment, and thanks for sharing the slideshow. It was well put together, had smooth transitions, had a great variety of good-looking shots, and an easy-on-the-ears song to go with it. It just ended a bit too abruptly.
"Even if I forcibly replace everything I've lost, they won't go back to normal."
-Guts, episode 287

The Threads of Causality have been tied! This topic is branded for sacrifice!

#396 AlienSlof

AlienSlof
  • Modder
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:51 PM

@ AlienSlof - Wonderful! Basil and the boys are here! :) I had just been asking GF1 when there would be some male eye-candy for the females around here to "toy" with. ;) :wub: :whistling:
http://www.shsforums...p...st&p=303471

Yes, I have the same issues - not enough man-flesh for me to ogle at, though I enjoy the few male characters I see! Posted up a few more Basil shots, but with something for everyone as my female Dremora companion is in there too!

And I'm always happy to see Denys - he's one of my favourites! ;)

runningspiders.gif
A dream to some, a NIGHTMARE to others!
Blood is thicker than water... and much tastier!
There is no good, there is no evil, there is only FLESH.
Nil Carborundum Illegitimus.
Daedra have no word for 'fluffy'.

obliviongate.gif ~ Slof's Mods ~

#397 Eldroth

Eldroth
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:53 AM

I'm totaly with you, all those female char really need dangerous male to play with and as sexy as they are. :P

Here we are glad to see your Team here, my fave of course because each one of this quatuor has a special place in our heart. :crazy: :tease: :Tasty: :wub: "that's how we really look after seeing something from you ;)

I've seen many great screenies to from =

@SeV "very dark char and beautifull face" :devil: ,
@Floydian" always fantastic screenies, and some gothic stuff on :devil: ",
@SickleYield "I really like your universe, could you post a male char in those scandalously good outfit ;) " can't wait your Arachnalia mod to be released :Bow: ,
@Highpressure "nice exotic girl" :) ,
@Xetirox "I absolutely like her look with eye patch and those outfit my char has wore for a long period !" ;) ,
@Kimory "my fave hair color are the two first one ;)",
@ Hector "I like her big smile, Cupidon was near ? :) ",
@Oldmanpoo " Very good screenies :new_thumbs:

Sorry if I miss someone, I will try not to the next time, and Keep shooting extremely well like you do all :)

Oooops @Chiglet your screenie with Amoz are damn good :) , and yes all the Dremora looks good ;)

Edited by Eldroth, 18 May 2007 - 04:43 AM.

I'm a kind of hybrid of a cartoon and a feature. Some have thought me lovely,
Others saw an ugly creature...
I have found my image has obscured all that I am. But who said you can't mix vinegar with jam?"

P.Burns

#398 oldmanpoo

oldmanpoo
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:59 AM

Heh heh heh... :devil: Evil Necromancers have more fun than anyone else!

@oldmanpoo: Cool shots, but, who's the cutie in your 5th shot?

@oldmanpoo: Okay. The character looks cool, his robes look cool, and the composition of his undead posse reeks of cool. I like how they're all up in formation, with Liches up front, skeletons in the back, and wraiths just behind him. This guy's ready to plunge the world in darkness!

Oldmanpoo, first time I've seen your character. She is probably the YOUNGEST looking pretty girl I've seen so far in Obliv.
is she a special race? Excellent work.

what a cool necromancer :blink: he looks really good with his army of undead

She is too cute for words!!!
Welcome! I was going to PM you soon if you hadn't arrived - I have been missing your incredible shots! I am very glad you made it here.

Hector @ oldmanpoo- OH MY GOD! That is just an adorable little female you have! I just want to hug her and squeeze her and such!

@Oldmanpoo: Scary necromancer and even scarier undead army! The 5th screenshot's character looks REALLY young. Like 14 or 15.

@ oldmanpoo - Good to see you made it here. :) And with great pics as always. I think most of us here still peek in occasionally at the old site. Sometimes they even post pics. :)

Wow, thanks for all the comments. Hopefully I didn't miss anyone's. In regards to the questions, she's Courtesy, just an ordinary Imperial (vampire slayer).

@greatfool1and Chiglet, thanks. I'm glad I made it as well.

Edit: thanks for the comment, Eldroth

Edited by oldmanpoo, 18 May 2007 - 01:01 AM.

#399 JazzJR

JazzJR
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:05 AM

I am here again :hug: :cheers:
i will post some pictures in some time but i am in trouble with some Nifs :doh:

JAZZJR!!!! Hey, welcome back I was wondering where you went. Now that the formalities are out of the way, we demand cat pictures... ^_^

Just kidding hehe... but not really! welcome back! :P

There are coming some soon but as i said i am in trouble :D my helmet won't work how i want ^^

Posted Image

no idea what happened

#400 Spike4072

Spike4072
  • 612 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:21 AM

There are coming some soon but as i said i am in trouble :D my helmet won't work how i want ^^

no idea what happened

Looks like some of the verts are not weighted