Photo

Challenge #11: Aerie

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#61 Orthodoxia

Orthodoxia
  • 853 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 11:05 PM

You know berelinde, for a moment there I thought: "Aerie, Gavin, Letter? Did I miss something in the mod!?" And then it was: "BG2. Not out yet. Must be patient." On the other hand, I like your drawing. I immensely respect anyone who has the patience to color their work.

And thanks Alatariel, that is a high praise - though why a 15 minutes sketch turned out better then some drawings I work on for hours I'll never understand.
Dear gamer! You cannot summon Spirits of Rage when fighting bosses. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please send all complaints to Undead Control Administration, Bosses Combat Department, and apply for revision of the Endoria combat regulations. - King?s Bounty, the Legend
Posted Image

#62 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:34 AM

*Cespenar voice* Um... Bit lopsided but... vaguely Aerie-shaped... maybe?

hi__I__m_horribly_deformed.jpg

><

I keep thinking I should practice more, and then I get stuck on the Intarwebs instead.

#63 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:11 AM

Eeeek! A Nekkid Legolas! :ROFL:

Don't worry, I would do a worse job drawing her. :ph34r:

Edited by WeeRLegion, 26 June 2007 - 02:12 AM.

#64 Galsic

Galsic

Nominal Member

• 384 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:23 AM

Hey, if Aerie was turned into a guy, that's EXACTLY what she'd look like! Sorry, man, but that long, chiseled face does give off masculine vibes, though I'd bet if you got rid of a few choice lines (such as those on the cheeks and that angular one by the nose) and, perhaps, gave her some slightly longer lashes (I would), she'd look a lot more feminine. Beyond that, the coloring is pretty good :) .
(I like parentheses.)

#65 vilkacis

vilkacis

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:01 AM

o rly? :devil:

OMG_WTF.jpg

...sry. :whistling:

#66 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:18 AM

Ahh, ye, sorry about that, I'm just evil.

Anyway, it often happens to me too, when i'm trying to shape a feminne face: it turns out too blocky and looks like a bloke instead... Detail is often a good cure, a little make up kinda stuff, the eyelashes as Galsic pointed out.

The hair, well, I don't know if my method is any good, but i'll share anyway:
First I add the kind of singe-strand texturing highlights, as you have.
Then i paint it some general shapes in the direction the hair is flowing with a large hard-edged brush (lighten/darken, focusing in turns on shadows and highlights. brings a lot of contrast though).
And last, I add the light-source based shaping highlights and shadows with a medium size soft-edged brush.
And, you know, i'm just saynig this becasue IIRC you were asking about hair earlier. :ph34r:

EDIT: GAHHH! MY EYES! MY EYES!

Edited by WeeRLegion, 26 June 2007 - 03:19 AM.

#67 vilkacis

vilkacis

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:37 AM

Anyway, it often happens to me too, when i'm trying to shape a feminne face: it turns out too blocky and looks like a bloke instead... Detail is often a good cure, a little make up kinda stuff, the eyelashes as Galsic pointed out.

Yeah, but I'd like to find a way to draw natural looking females. If I can't do it without make-up, BIG PHAIL OMG.

The hair, well, I don't know if my method is any good, but i'll share anyway:
First I add the kind of singe-strand texturing highlights, as you have.
Then i paint it some general shapes in the direction the hair is flowing with a large hard-edged brush (lighten/darken, focusing in turns on shadows and highlights. brings a lot of contrast though).
And last, I add the light-source based shaping highlights and shadows with a medium size soft-edged brush.
And, you know, i'm just saynig this becasue IIRC you were asking about hair earlier. :ph34r:

I most certainly did ask, so thanks.

I think the biggest problem (and not only with hair) is that I don't have enough practice to "feel" a light source without using a reference, which feels like cheating. :wall: Guess I'll just have to decide if I'd rather cheat or suck forever.

EDIT: GAHHH! MY EYES! MY EYES!

evillaugh.gif
Just be happy that I didn't make them more detailed than that...

[EDIT] Better like this, then? (Also with more golden hair!)

Attached Images

• aerie3.jpg

Edited by vilkacis, 26 June 2007 - 04:32 AM.

#68 Jazhara7

Jazhara7
  • 715 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:31 AM

Ahh, ye, sorry about that, I'm just evil.

Seriously? Whenever I try to draw a male, it turns out too effeminate. No seriously. People keep on thinking the male portraits I draw are girls.

It's gotten better over time, but if something goes wrong, it ends up looking like a girl.

It's pretty common. I've met many other artists who have complained that they seem to have difficulty drawing one or another gender.

On a side note, I think it's fun asking people what gender they think Vaarsuvius from OOTS is. I found that guys usually answer "female", while girls (including me) seem to think he's male. Of course, there's always exceptions. And in both cases we can't really explain why we have that opinion. There must be something that gives the impression, but neither party can ever put their finger on it.

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Hey, are you hungry?

I Hate Elminster!
(proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#69 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 02:10 AM

Aerie and Haldamir (in-progress NPC), "Stargazing"

Attached Images

• HaldamirAndAerie.jpg

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#70 vilkacis

vilkacis

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 02:24 AM

On a side note, I think it's fun asking people what gender they think Vaarsuvius from OOTS is. I found that guys usually answer "female", while girls (including me) seem to think he's male. Of course, there's always exceptions. And in both cases we can't really explain why we have that opinion. There must be something that gives the impression, but neither party can ever put their finger on it.

I tend to lean slightly towards "him" being male, personally. (It's like, 50% male, 40% female, and 10% either "neither", "both" or "just plain WTF???"...) :D

Well, since my attempts at realism don't seem to work all that well, here's a cheesy little anime Aerie with a cheesy little anime... wing thingy. And stuff?

aniaerie.jpg

...I dunno. She might still look too much like Legolas. <_<

(No, I don't spam these topics. It... only looks that way! Honest!)

#71 HERD

HERD
  • Modder
  • 283 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 03:33 AM

Make up your mind, Vilkacis, boobs or wings

ArieBW95.jpg

#72 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 03:35 AM

Definitely a good few grades on the better side on the gender scales. At least it can't be called a "man", a girlish boy at worst (Oh, wait, can Legolas be called a man? x_x Im' tying myself in a fricken knot here...). :P
No matter t3h cheese, good job. ^^

EDIT: Oh, HERD made it here a moment ahead of me... I'll just have to ask? WHAAAAT?! :D
That's weird. :P

Edited by WeeRLegion, 27 June 2007 - 03:42 AM.

#73 vilkacis

vilkacis

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:12 AM

Make up your mind, Vilkacis, boobs or wings

I can't have both? :crying:

(Oh, wait, can Legolas be called a man? x_x Im' tying myself in a fricken knot here...). :P

I think it's best not to speculate. :whistling:

No matter t3h cheese, good job. ^^

Thx! :D

#74 HERD

HERD
  • Modder
  • 283 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:12 AM

I can't have both?

Absolutely, thanks to Photoshop

#75 Menelanna

Menelanna
  • 3006 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:59 AM

here is my addition. Aerie before she lost her wings and became a whinny little brat. I love drawing wings. :D

Attached Images

• aerie.JPG

Steel is my body, fire is my blood.
I've created over a thousand blades
Unknown to death.
Nor known to life.
Have withstood pain to create many weapons.
Yet, those hands will never hold anything.
So as i pray, "Unlimited Blade Works."--Archer from Fate/Stay Night

Posted Image
Signature done by Sinharvest. thanks!

Interested in great fanstay Role Play? Come join Imythess the Border Between Dreams and Choas.
(should you join feel free to contact me. my main account it Fara're. hope to see you there :D)

#76 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:41 AM

She looks very serene and un-bratlike.
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#77 Alatariel

Alatariel

Inquisitor!

• 479 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:44 AM

Nice pic, Berelinde... (though his right hand is out of proportion.. but as I can't draw even if my life depends on it I shouldn't say a word XD) In progress by whom? (I had to ask ^^').

(Oh, wait, can Legolas be called a man? x_x Im' tying myself in a fricken knot here...).

You mean, the one by Orlando Bloom? Hardly. It can be called a piece of lamentable acting, though.

I can't have both?

Aww, course you can. Just look here - this one has both, see?:)

here is my addition. Aerie before she lost her wings and became a whinny little brat. I love drawing wings.

Whoa, Mene, that is your best piece, imo! But - if I can offer a little criticism - the wings should be bigger then that to endure her weight. But other than that - this is *exactly* how I imagined Aerie in BG2:).

Edited by Alatariel, 27 June 2007 - 08:48 AM.

'NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency! Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surpr-... I'll come in again.

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!... Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms - Oh damn!'

#78 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:49 AM

Nice pic, Berelinde... In progress by whom? (I had to ask ^^').

Me, and he's about half done. But don't get too excited. He is more of an abbreviated content NPC than a full-content one: 2 banters with BioWare NPCs for SoA, 1 apiece for ToB, 4-6 PC banters, no quests, no romances. There is no NPC/NPC romance, either. They're just looking at stars. :)

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#79 Menelanna

Menelanna
  • 3006 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:27 AM

here is my addition. Aerie before she lost her wings and became a whinny little brat. I love drawing wings.

Whoa, Mene, that is your best piece, imo! But - if I can offer a little criticism - the wings should be bigger then that to endure her weight. But other than that - this is *exactly* how I imagined Aerie in BG2:).

Thank you. And I do agree that the wings could be larger. I realized that after I inked it already...

I actually use to never ink or color my pictures really, but these challanges have gotten me into doing it. I would do coloring if time allowed.
Steel is my body, fire is my blood.
I've created over a thousand blades
Unknown to death.
Nor known to life.
Have withstood pain to create many weapons.
Yet, those hands will never hold anything.
So as i pray, "Unlimited Blade Works."--Archer from Fate/Stay Night

Posted Image
Signature done by Sinharvest. thanks!

Interested in great fanstay Role Play? Come join Imythess the Border Between Dreams and Choas.
(should you join feel free to contact me. my main account it Fara're. hope to see you there :D)

#80 Alatariel

Alatariel

Inquisitor!

• 479 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:32 AM

. He is more of an abbreviated content NPC than a full-content one: 2 banters with BioWare NPCs for SoA, 1 apiece for ToB, 4-6 PC banters, no quests, no romances.

Yeah, you say that now. However you may yet change your opinion when he is released;). And if not -well, happens. We still have Gavin to cuddle with^^'.
'NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency! Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surpr-... I'll come in again.

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!... Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms - Oh damn!'