Photo

Is avenger's Rogue Rebalencer V.3 usable here?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Devlinor

Devlinor

Itinerant Lab Rat

• 100 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 11:05 PM

I would like to know if Avenger's Rogue Rebalencer is usable in CA? and also what Kits can I import into CA safely?

Also, can I install Cleric Remix or any of the other class enhancement mods?

Devlinor

Edited by Devlinor, 20 June 2007 - 11:32 PM.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for they are quick to anger and you are good to eat.

Sherman - The Half-Orc Cleric/Fighter NPC for BGT(currently in dialog and scripting ALPHA phase, still due to Comp crash)

To say thanks to the modders that worked on this and other mods check this link and add your thanks to it.

Check this link for a thank you to the modders

#2 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:44 AM

You should be able to install any kits mod you want. I'm not sure about Rogue Rebalencer or Cleric Remix.

This thread has more info on compatibility.

Edited by Celestine, 21 June 2007 - 12:45 AM.
add in link

#3 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:21 AM

I would like to know if Avenger's Rogue Rebalencer is usable in CA? and also what Kits can I import into CA safely?

I'm not sure about this as I'm not familiar with the changes introduced by Classic Adventures. However, since Classic Adventures seems to be a total conversion, I think there's no point in installing components of Rogue Rebalancing which rely on BG2 characters, stores and events i.e. the "Shadow Thief Improvements", "Chosen of Cyric encounter" and "Additional equipment for Thieves and Bards". OTOH, components which solely affect gameplay mechanics such as "Proper dual-wielding implementation for Thieves and Bards", "Thief kit revisions", "Bard kit revisions" and "Bard High Level Ability revisions" should work fine, at least in theory. :)

BTW, I haven't actually tested any of the Rogue Rebalancing components alongside Classic Adventures, but I might do that in the future as the mod seems really interesting to me. Great work guys! :new_thumbs:

#4 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:01 AM

Our base set of skills, levels, and IDS/2DA files come from the BGT-BP mod that Horred created several years ago. Those were based on what TDD had done to expand levels up to 50. I know that you mod worked with BGT-BP, because I used it all the time. So, I will make an assumption here that it will work.

If you will allow, I can package the appropriate components into the installer for players so they can install this mod if they chose. Otherwise, I would assume they can install each component directly from your installer. I haven't used it in awhile so I don't remember if everything installed at once or in parts (parts if I remember correctly). As you point out, some parts won't work. However, I have been wanting to add the Black Market items to a store in the theives guild of Selgaunt once the party gets there. That was one of the best set of shield selections anywhere.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#5 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7662 posts

Donator

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:25 AM

An upcoming NPC is a female swashbuckler. I am really interested to see if the "Proper dual-wielding implementation for Thieves and Bards" and the "Thief kit revisions" work.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#6 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:28 AM

Our base set of skills, levels, and IDS/2DA files come from the BGT-BP mod that Horred created several years ago. Those were based on what TDD had done to expand levels up to 50.

Well, I didn't specifically account for level entries above 40 (regarding the progress of innate abilities and such) but since I now (as of v3.5) use SET_2DA_ENTRY for every change instead of directly overwriting the 2DAs I don't think this will cause any problems.

If you will allow, I can package the appropriate components into the installer for players so they can install this mod if they chose.

No need for that, I can simply adjust my installer to take Classic Adventures into account once I download it and try it out. Through the magic of ACTION_IF I can detect a file which is exclusively used by CA and make RR skip the inappropriate components.

However, I have been wanting to add the Black Market items to a store in the theives guild of Selgaunt once the party gets there. That was one of the best set of shield selections anywhere.

Heh, I'm glad you liked them. :) BTW, I plan to download CA over the weekend and if you could point me to the dialogue and store files used by Selgaunt's merchant I could add a "Special Store" option to his dialogue which would open up a store that holds items identical to Marina's stock from RR. Would that be ok with you?

#7 Devlinor

Devlinor

Itinerant Lab Rat

• 100 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 08:19 AM

Since the consensus is that the parts that I want will work, namely the Dual wielding for all rogues, the modded thief and Bard details, and the new HLA's for thieves and bards, I will give it a shot and report results from the gamers point of view here. I remember that it installs in sets and I will simply choose not to install the Chosen of Cyric and the shadow thief abilities. I thank you all for such a wonderful set of mods. I haven't enjoyed gaming like this since I played Sid Miere's Civilization 1 2 and 3. G_D bless you all.

Devlinor
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for they are quick to anger and you are good to eat.

Sherman - The Half-Orc Cleric/Fighter NPC for BGT(currently in dialog and scripting ALPHA phase, still due to Comp crash)

To say thanks to the modders that worked on this and other mods check this link and add your thanks to it.

#8 Devlinor

Devlinor

Itinerant Lab Rat

• 100 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 03:11 PM

Since the consensus is that the parts that I want will work, namely the Dual wielding for all rogues, the modded thief and Bard details, and the new HLA's for thieves and bards, I will give it a shot and report results from the gamers point of view here. I remember that it installs in sets and I will simply choose not to install the Chosen of Cyric and the shadow thief abilities. I thank you all for such a wonderful set of mods. I haven't enjoyed gaming like this since I played Sid Miere's Civilization 1 2 and 3. G_D bless you all.

Devlinor

Ok so far. I installed Rogue Rebalancer and installed the following:

Enhanced Thief abilities
Enhanced Bard Abilities
Enhanced Bard HLA's
Proper Dual Wielding for rogues

I Skipped over:

Shadow Thief Improvements
Chosen of Cyric encounter
Additional equipment for Thieves and Bards

Started a new game and checked it out. All seems to be A'ok so far. I have a 1st level Blade in the game and am getting ready to Enter the area with the Citidel. Once I can get a group of enemies near I will try out the weapon display function of the Blade and report back. But so far no Stalls, and more importantly, no CTD. Will be back with more news.

#9 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7662 posts

Donator

Posted 21 June 2007 - 03:42 PM

Could we possibly include "Proper dual-wielding implementation for Thieves and Bards" and the "Thief kit revisions"? Also there is a new area which will be available in the next version of CA.(SP area) What if we used a new store that holds items identical to Marina's stock from RR?

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#10 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:12 PM

Essentially, I don't think it's a good idea to unnecessarily double the contents of a mod as it creates maintenance issues. For instance, making changes in the base mod would require relaying them to all the other copies which can in term lead to errors and multiply the translation efforts as well. That's why I suggested making RR detect CA and adapting itself accordingly. The newer versions of WeiDU are amazingly flexible in this manner and allow for a nifty option of having a unified installer for different partial/total conversions. For example, the latest version of the G3 BG1NPC project has a single installer for BGTuTu, Easy TuTu and BGT.

BTW, any changes which RR makes to the thief and bard kits will be applied retroactively even in cases where RR is installed after the game has already begun. You only need to temporarily take the characters out of the party so that their kit can be reapplied. For example, if you already have a saved game with an elven Swashbuckler and install RR afterwards, just kick her out of the party for a second and she'll gain all of the benefits from RR after rejoining. :)

#11 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:26 AM

I agree that it is better to keep them separate if possible. In the Ease-of-Use case, I included it only because a limited number of install options only work here. I remember the nightmare we had with BGT-BP from users not reading the directions and installing everything then bitching that it didn't work. So if RR already works with CA, that is great news, let's not make more work than we have too.

As for the Selgaunt guild, the area hasn't been added to the game yet. I don't expect to have maps and characters ready for at least another 6 months or so. That is Chapter 4 and we are still only halfway through creating Chapter 3. Therefore, I don't have a dialog file to give you for adding the store. It will need to go into a "to do" list.

Classic Adventures

#12 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:47 AM

I agree that it is better to keep them separate if possible. In the Ease-of-Use case, I included it only because a limited number of install options only work here. I remember the nightmare we had with BGT-BP from users not reading the directions and installing everything then bitching that it didn't work. So if RR already works with CA, that is great news, let's not make more work than we have too.

Agreed. For the upcoming v3.6 I'll just add a few FORBID_FILE checks which will automatically skip and prevent the inappropriate components of RR from installing on CA, as I've already done for BGTuTu.

As for the Selgaunt guild, the area hasn't been added to the game yet. I don't expect to have maps and characters ready for at least another 6 months or so.

No problem, once you've finished with the area just let me know and I'll add an ACTION_IF block to my .tp2 which will detect the Selgaunt merchant from CA and grant him access to the RR specific items which are regularly available in Marina's store.

#13 Devlinor

Devlinor

Itinerant Lab Rat

• 100 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:36 PM

Time for an update on this fantastic mod.
With the Rogue Rebalancer installed I went from home village to the Citadel, then to Saltmarsh. I finished up the First two quests and am ready to begin the third. My Blade is up to level three near to four and has already dual wielded two bastard swords, froze and demoralized a group of Goblins with his weapons display, and has basically kicked a** through the game. he has taken some damage, but Dilbert is the one that I have a problem keeping healthy. I have a fair stock of healing potions and most have been used on him. I like him so I buffed up his armor, gave him a cloak of protection and some other stuff that I found. But the good news is so far, no bugs yet, and the Rogue Rebalancer is working great. I will post more on this, but so far it seems that I can say Avengers mod (at least the parts that I installed) is compatable.

I tried to use Druidic sorcerer but I found that I suddenly became a 9th level just starting out. Is there a modified TP2 file that will set up the Druidic Sorcerer as a first level character? I am more then willing to act as test subject to try various combos for this mod and give reports.

Devlinor

#14 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7662 posts

Donator

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:04 PM

I would love to here about how the swashbuckler kit works. How did Shadow do with the rebalancing?

#15 Devlinor

Devlinor

Itinerant Lab Rat

• 100 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:43 PM

I would love to here about how the swashbuckler kit works. How did Shadow do with the rebalancing?

I don't know about the swashbuckler yet, but the Rebalancing is the only thing that is keeping Shadow alive right now. That and my tweaking her thieving abilities with ShadowKeeper (no pun intended :P ) I took a bit from her other scores and added them to Find traps. As she stood she got killed 7 times by traps that she failed to find. I really think that Shadow should have been set as a trap finder instead of a pickpocket. I usually start out any thief by maxing out their find trap and then concentrate on their lock picking skills. After that I go for a split in Hide and move quietly. At first level I find that a Thief is basically a trap searcher and door opener. I have worked with this practice since my PnP days, starting with Dungeons and Dragons and then into Advanced Dungeon and Dragons. I will start up a game soon with a Swashbuckler and let Shadow go after the Citadel and report. But I think that after seeing how Kirosal (my Blade) did, I think that I will be giving two thumbs up here.

BTW Thank you Leahnkain, and Thanks to Sir BillyBob for this Mod. You are giving me my dream by letting me play in a set of games that I went through waaaaaaay back when. This mod is becoming my favorite and that is why I offered my services as test subject. I still want to find a way to get the Druidic Sorcerer into the mix. Also Classes from Divine Remix and maybe even try to use one of the SubRace mods. I wonder how a Drow would do through this mod :unsure: ? I just may test it. What do you think of a Drow Swashbuckler? :blink:

Devlinor

#16 Devlinor

Devlinor

Itinerant Lab Rat

• 100 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:02 PM

Ok, just installed the Sub race mod and made a Drow Swashbuckler. He seems to behave as per specs for the Avenger Rogue Rebalance mods parts. I had to shadowkeep three pips into dual weapon style but he seemed to handle the twin long swords wonderfully. I just wish that there was a different way to balance out the drow then to suck 20% of the XP's. If I knew how to mod the game I might try to do a Sub race mod of my own. Also the only complaint I have so far is that there is no specific dialog for race of the PC. If somebody would point me to a Tutorial for modding, then I might try to come up with some race mods for the game. At least I would give it a try.

But to report. I have just left for the Citadel and have Kirosal (drow Swashbuckler), Shadow (thief), Dilbert (half-elven Archer) and the Elven Ranger (I forget his name for the moment. Lack of sleep. -_- Speaking of which, RL asserts itself and I must catch some Zzzzzzzz

Devlinor :zzz:

#17 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 07:22 AM

I still want to find a way to get the Druidic Sorcerer into the mix.

Well, if you don't mind a little violence you could edit him/her with the ShadowKeeper, back to the starting stats of a sorcerer. But I still like my Auramaster Druid more than the would be priest sorcerer.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#18 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:32 AM

Shadow's background wouldn't justify points in "find traps". Remember that she is on the run from Zhentril Keep. She was caught pickpocketing. She was not an adventurer and therefore wouldn't have much need to find traps. She can find and remove every trap in the Citadel. I have done it many times just to prove it. However, she won't be able to do this as she finds them. Some can't be disarmed until she levels up a few times.

Different players have different thieving styles. I have tried to not require her in your party if you want to solo. You can drop her immediately. However, you better have a backup plan to deal with the traps then.

Classic Adventures

#19 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:37 PM

Different players have different thieving styles. I have tried to not require her in your party if you want to solo. You can drop her immediately. However, you better have a backup plan to deal with the traps then.

Owww,,,,Ooohhhh,,,Dammit!!!,,,,(Gulp!)

It takes a village...

#20 Devlinor

Devlinor

Itinerant Lab Rat

• 100 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:57 PM

Shadow's background wouldn't justify points in "find traps". Remember that she is on the run from Zhentril Keep. She was caught pickpocketing. She was not an adventurer and therefore wouldn't have much need to find traps. She can find and remove every trap in the Citadel. I have done it many times just to prove it. However, she won't be able to do this as she finds them. Some can't be disarmed until she levels up a few times.

I was not complaining Sir BillyBob. I made a mention of this and my play Style. I understand about her background now though. When I wrote the previous messages I was low on sleep, food and my tea supply was exausted :crying: I like Shadow, I had a PnP thief named ShadowSpawn that I used in many adventures (like the Shadowspawn from the old anthology book series, he loved daggers, and carried about 5 or 6 different types and carried a Perminized Glassteel Obsedian short sword named HeartSeeker. But getting back to my reports on Avenger's RR mod and others. I removed Subrace since I do not believe that a 20% hit to the XP is a valid balancing agent to the abilities of a drow, and I saw no other races that I wanted to try. it seems to work though, so you might want to add that to the Compatability thread. I made an Elven Swashbuckler and took him through the Citadel. no bugs. I did Shadowkeeper in three pips to his two weapons style and he went to town :blink: with a pair of long swords. Fighting using the fighters THAC0 chart helps a ton. I used Shadow as a second missile chucker and she is working fine. It seems that, so far, RR is compatible as long as all that is installed is Dual Wield for all Rogues, Enhanced Thief Abilities, Enhanced Bard abilities and enhanced Bard HLA's.

I would also give CA (on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the high point) 6 stars as a mod.

Do you know of any tp2 file that I can grab for the Druidic Sorcerer that would start it at level 1 instead of that massive leap to 7+. ronin is not the only one who likes that kit. Also, do you know if Divine Remix will work (either in fact or theory) with CA? (If in theory, then I may give it a shot to check) And finally, when is the next installment due for release? I would offer to help play test it but I have squat knowledge of scripting and modding and it is my thought that for a beta test on an area you would do best to have Scriptors and modders to help. Thank you for this mod, it had revitalized me in playing this game.

Devlinor

Itinerant Lab Rat.

Edited by Devlinor, 23 June 2007 - 09:10 PM.