is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:15 PM

Posted Image
#13 Challenge:
Imoen
Deadline: Friday, 27th July
Post your piece in this topic!

Because I'm such a pleghm filled pile of bacteria right now (meaning I have a cold) I went and forgot that the challenge was supposed to change yesterday. :whistling: So now I picked something that I knew would attract a lot of entries despite the 13-day time - Imoen! She needs no introductions. She needs only illustrations. Give them to her!

Medium is free - be it pencil, finger paint, 3D modelling or even cosplay (now that's something we haven't seen yet, well okay, we haven't seen finger painting either :D). Have fun, people!

Edited by Ilmatar, 23 August 2007 - 01:44 AM.

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#2 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:17 AM

I'll throw this older Imoen of mine in! I made this a while back (oh, like 7 months ago) for my fanart100 and you can actually see this in my Fanart 100 thread here on LoR. :D What a cheater I am. But I will draw her a new just for this challenge too!

red.jpg

Edited by Ilmatar, 14 July 2007 - 01:18 AM.

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#3 Menelanna

Menelanna
  • 3006 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:11 AM

I like her!

And YAY! Finally Imoen!!! I have been waiting for this ever since the challange began! I actually started an Imoen weeks ago. *runs off to finish her pic*
Steel is my body, fire is my blood.
I've created over a thousand blades
Unknown to death.
Nor known to life.
Have withstood pain to create many weapons.
Yet, those hands will never hold anything.
So as i pray, "Unlimited Blade Works."--Archer from Fate/Stay Night

Posted Image
Signature done by Sinharvest. thanks!

Interested in great fanstay Role Play? Come join Imythess the Border Between Dreams and Choas.
(should you join feel free to contact me. my main account it Fara're. hope to see you there :D)

#4 IronOx

IronOx

Pyongs owns all

• 124 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:51 AM

One of the character I'm less fan of...and yet I forced myself into doing it to good results, I hope. That's post-bhaalspawn saga when she's supposedly running a thief guild and chillin' with Khelben Blackstaff.

Imoen.png
'The only way to get thru this gate is to go thru me first!' -Tadakatsu

#5 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:53 AM

How can someone not be an Imoen fan? :D Well, she looks fantastic! The hair color is *exactly* right.

#6 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:04 AM

we haven't seen finger painting either :D).

The way I do pastels, it might as well be fingerpainting. :whistling: Push that chalk around!

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#7 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:22 AM

Oooh we've got fingerpaints done! :D Now I'm just waiting to see someone cosplay Imoen (or anybody else). :D

#8 IronOx

IronOx

Pyongs owns all

• 124 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:58 AM

I TOTALLY nailed the hair color, I agree! And at least I'll give you a reason why I'm not a fan of her.

Her personality only gets awesome when she learns that she's 'special'. What made me dislike her is the Imoen in Baldur's Gate 1. Mine is in french and the voice acting is GREAT but she has a voice that's too high, in a 8 years old girl that would answer the question 'What would you like to do when you're grown up' kind of way =(

#9 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:35 AM

Oh man, that sucks. :blink: Have you ever tried the English version? Imoen's voicing is seriously fantastic in English, and, well, so is everybody else's. :D

#10 IronOx

IronOx

Pyongs owns all

• 124 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 05:17 AM

My Baldur's Gate 2 is in english and her voice, and all the others for that matter, are great...especially Irenicus'. But I learned to live with it so I dump her until Sarevok in Baldur's Gate 1 unless I'm doing the realy story...that's when I keep her all the way =)

#11 Delight

Delight
  • 660 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 06:19 AM

FD_Dark_Imoen3.jpg
An evil version of Imoen.

Edited by Delight, 15 July 2007 - 06:19 AM.

#12 Amilauh

Amilauh
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:31 AM

Very nice Delight! I love all the detail you put into it, she looks like she actually is out adventuring instead of stopping off at an inn, dropping her gear, and posing. (something I am guilty of frequently). I also like the strength of your pose, feet apart, hands on her hips, and the background that you sketched in frames her nicely.
Evil Immie...
Hm. That could be highly entertaining.

#13 Zoraciel Ivtel

Zoraciel Ivtel
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:39 AM

OOTS style will show up soon, probably some strange hour tonight. You know, I really ought to do some of these in another style just so both y'all and I don't get bored.

#14 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:50 AM

I'll throw this older Imoen of mine in! I made this a while back (oh, like 7 months ago) for my fanart100 and you can actually see this in my Fanart 100 thread here on LoR. :D What a cheater I am. But I will draw her a new just for this challenge too!

~/ I see London, I see France, I see Immy's... /~ :huh: Wait, is she even wearing-

:blink:

*runs like hell*

I'll definitely have to come up with something for this one. For now, ancient paint!crack.

compensation.gif
(Well, it's not just Imoen, but at least she's in it.)

nobaka.gif
...uh, yeah. <_<

(On another note, this is from January 2006, and this was the first time I tried to do one of these things with a tool other than the spraycan!)

#15 Jazhara7

Jazhara7
  • 715 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:33 AM

Love your Imoen pic, Ilmatar!

Pixel Imoen is nice too.

Love the smirk on Evil!Imoen, Delight, though her nose scares me. :blink:

Vilkacis, I *LOOOOOOOVE* the second one! I say your experiment in using something else but the spraycan tool was a complete success! Even if it's just tiny figures, it's very expressive, extremely funny, a good quality of art, and appropriately silly. Everything in it just works together perfectly to paint a permanent grin on my face (I guess my mother was right my face would stay that way when I make grimaces...no, wait. My mother never told me anything like that. :P ). Oh, and I just love Mini-Boo!

- :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hey, are you hungry?

I Hate Elminster!
(proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#16 Delight

Delight
  • 660 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:47 AM

Very nice Delight! I love all the detail you put into it, she looks like she actually is out adventuring instead of stopping off at an inn, dropping her gear, and posing. (something I am guilty of frequently). I also like the strength of your pose, feet apart, hands on her hips, and the background that you sketched in frames her nicely.
Evil Immie...
Hm. That could be highly entertaining.

Love the smirk on Evil!Imoen, Delight, though her nose scares me. :blink:

Thanks :D . Hmm... I have overdone the nose XD ... a bit XDDDDDDDDDDDD

Vilkacis -> the second one is scary XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
What does "no baka" mean :D ?

#17 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:42 AM

Vilkacis, I *LOOOOOOOVE* the second one! I say your experiment in using something else but the spraycan tool was a complete success! Even if it's just tiny figures, it's very expressive, extremely funny, a good quality of art, and appropriately silly. Everything in it just works together perfectly to paint a permanent grin on my face (I guess my mother was right my face would stay that way when I make grimaces...no, wait. My mother never told me anything like that. :P ). Oh, and I just love Mini-Boo!

:lol: Such praise is going to put a permanent grin on my face.

Mini-Boo loves you too. :wub:

I think the literal translation would be "of stupid" - "you're an idiot", pretty much. :)

The phrase is, along with the hitting-people-with-a-big-hammer-that-came-out-of-nowhere bit, is an old cliché from Japanese comics.

[edit] Argh, or wait, is it the other way around? :wacko: It's been ages since I even thought about learning Japanese. I think in order to get "X of Y" you would need to say "Y no X". Which means it would be "Stupid of Edwin"? Nuts. Brane not werk so gud.

Edited by vilkacis, 17 July 2007 - 03:09 PM.

#18 Ashton

Ashton
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:27 PM

No works like an 's. X no Y = X's Y. If you want to say X is Y, you use wa.
hello I am Pigeon
check out my website

#19 Ashton

Ashton
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:55 PM

Here's my drawing of despondent Imoen.

Posted Image

Oh dear, that looks terrible. I shouldn't save things as jpgs or something.

Edited by Ashton, 17 July 2007 - 05:57 PM.

hello I am Pigeon
check out my website

#20 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7662 posts

Donator

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:43 PM

I think the literal translation would be "of stupid" - "you're an idiot", pretty much. :)

The phrase is, along with the hitting-people-with-a-big-hammer-that-came-out-of-nowhere bit, is an old cliché from Japanese comics.

[edit] Argh, or wait, is it the other way around? :wacko: It's been ages since I even thought about learning Japanese. I think in order to get "X of Y" you would need to say "Y no X". Which means it would be "Stupid of Edwin"? Nuts. Brane not werk so gud.

Foolish is a better translation. Stupid is too strong of word I think.

It sounds more natural to use just Baka. Actually using japanese looks really out of place with your story. It is fun to read but would be better without any japanese.

Here is a quick 3 minute lesson. Note if your computer gets strange symbols that's because it should be showing Japanese characters and you don't have a program installed to read them.

The Particle "No"

Possessive Marker

"No" indicates ownership or attribution. It is similar to the English "apostrophe s ('s). "

Kore wa watashi no hon desu.
これは私の本です。 This is my book.
Watashi no ane wa Tokyo ni sunde imasu.
私の姉は東京に住んでいます。 My sister lives in Tokyo.

Particles are probably one of the most difficult and confusing aspects of Japanese sentences. A particle (joshi) is a word that shows the relationship of a word, a phrase, or a clause to the rest of the sentence. Some particles have English equivalents. Others have functions similar to English prepositions, but since they always follow the word or words they mark, they are post-positions. There are also particles that have a peculiar usage which is not found in English. Most particles are multi-functional.

The final noun can be omitted if it is clear to both speaker and listener.
Are wa watashi no
(kuruma) desu.あれは私の(車)です。 That is mine (my car).

Noun Modification

The noun before "no" modifies the noun after "no". This usage is similar to the possessive, but it is seen more with compound nouns or noun phrases. (e.g. kono hon no chosha -> the author of this book)

Nihongo no jugyou wa tanoshii desu.
日本語の授業は楽しいです。 The Japanese class is interesting.
Bijutsu no hon o sagashite imasu.
美術の本を探しています。 I am looking for a book on fine arts.

"No" can be used many times in one sentence. In this usage the order of nouns in Japanese is the reverse of the English structure. The normal Japanese order is from large to small, or general to specific.

Osaka daigaku no nihongo no sensei
大阪大学の日本語の先生 a teacher of Japanese
at Osaka university yooroppa no kuni no namae
ヨーロッパの国の名前 the names of the countries in Europe

Apposition

"No" links the noun to the appositive that follows.

Tomodachi no Keiko-san desu.
友達の恵子さんです。 This is my friend, Keiko.
Bengoshi no Tanaka-san wa itsumo isogashisou da.
弁護士の田中さんはいつも忙しそうだ。 The lawyer, Mr. Tanaka seems to be busy all the time.
Topic Marker and Subject Marker

Roughly speaking, "wa" is a topic marker, and "ga" is a subject marker. The topic is often the same as the subject, but not necessary. The topic can be anything that a speaker wants to talk about (It can be an object, location or any other grammatical element). In this sense, it is similar to the English expressions, "As for ~" or "Speaking of ~."

Watashi wa gakusei desu.
私は学生です。 I am a student.
Nihongo wa omoshiroi desu.
日本語は面白いです。 Japanese is interesting.
(Speaking of Japanese, it is interesting.)

If you use Wa, you need to learn Ga.

Ga and Wa

"Wa" is used to mark something that has already been introduced into the conversation, or is familiar with both a speaker and a listener. (proper nouns, genetic names etc.) "Ga" is used when a situation or happening is just noticed or newly introduced. See the following example.

Mukashi mukashi, ojii-san ga sunde imashita. Ojii-san wa totemo shinsetsu deshita.
昔々、おじいさんが住んでいました。
おじいさんはとても親切でした。 Once upon a time, there lived an old man. He was very kind.

In the first sentence, "ojii-san" is introduced for the first time. It is the subject, not the topic. The second sentence describes about "ojii-san" that is previously mentioned. "Ojii-san" is now the topic, and is marked with "wa" instead of "ga."

Wa as Contrast

Beside being a topic marker, "wa" is used to show contrast or to emphasize the subject.

Biiru wa nomimasu ga, wain wa nomimasen.
ビールは飲みますが、
ワインは飲みません。 I drink beer, but I don't drink wine.

The thing being contrasted may or may not stated, but with this usage, the contrast is implied.

Ano hon wa yomimasen deshita.
あの本は読みませんでした。 I didn't read that book
(though I read this one).

Particles such as "ni(に)," "de(で)," "kara(から)" and "made(まで)" can be combined with "wa" (double particles) to show contrast.

Osaka ni wa ikimashita ga, Kyoto ni wa ikimasen deshita.
大阪には行きましたが、
京都には行きませんでした。 I went to Osaka, but I didn't go to Kyoto.
Koko de wa tabako o suwanaide kudasai.
ここではタバコを
吸わないでください。 Please don't smoke here(but you may smoke there).

Whether "wa" indicates a topic or a contrast, it depends on the context or the intonation.

Ga as Emphasis

"Ga" is used for emphasis, to distinguish a person or thing from all others. If a topic is marked with "wa," the comment is the most important part of the sentence. On the other hand, if a subject is marked with "ga," the subject is the most important part of the sentence. In English, these differences are sometimes expressed in tone of voice. Compare these sentences.

Taro wa gakkou ni ikimashita.
太郎は学校に行きました。 Taro went to school.
Taro ga gakkou ni ikimashita.
太郎が学校に行きました。 Taro is the one
who went to school.

Ga in a Special Circumstance

The object of the sentence is usually marked by the particle "o," but some verbs and adjectives (expressing like/dislike, desire, potential, necessity, fear, envy etc.) take "ga" instead of "o."

Kuruma ga hoshii desu.
車が欲しいです。 I want a car.
Nihongo ga wakarimasu.
日本語が分かります。 I understand Japanese.

Ga in Subordinate Clauses

The subject of a subordinate clause normally takes "ga" to show that the subjects of the subordinate and main clauses are different.

Watashi wa Mika ga kekkon shita koto o shiranakatta.
私は美香が結婚した
ことを知らなかった。 I didn't know that Mika got married.

Review

Now let's review the rules about "wa" and "ga."

wa は
* Topic marker
* Contrast

ga が

* Subject marker
* With question words
* Emphasize
* Instead of "o"
* In subordinate clauses

Edited by leahnkain, 17 July 2007 - 06:49 PM.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/