#1 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 10:32 AM

Here it is as always - in the Attic.

http://gamejag.com/p...opic.php?t=2409

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

Nikolai Berdyaev - Christian Existentialist, Philosopher of Freedom.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#2 wizard of thay

wizard of thay

working...meh

• 112 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 02:40 AM

Loved it, my earlier concerns are slowly being laid to rest (although I still worry about having Jon-jon as a full time PC.) however In the chat between the 'cloaked figure' and cryic I would remove Cryic refering to them as "my dear" purely from a perspective that it lets the PC know that the main enemy in the game is female, And for those who haven't played through before it may ruin the surprise.
Other than that brilliant.
Past: BG2: SilverstarNPC Dialogue writer. Oblivion Mods: Ruined Tail,Cleon and the Legacy Beta tester
Present: Oblivion Mods: NPC's with Jobs Beta tester
Future: No idea

#3 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 11:22 AM

Oh, I am glad you feel this way. I always consider the dialogs and the well-developed plot the most important features of any mod. I would not even start coding until I have all the dialogs and cutscenes sorted out, and for the Longer Road - it is going to be a lot of work. By my calculations this mod may actually add 30% to the game time. Ah, I am getting too verbose I suppose, but the ToB plot always felt a bit slim to me ...

As for 'my dear' I felt it was rather unisexual but maybe you are right - Cyric would not call a male persona in this manner. I shall think about it, thanks!

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#4 Slumlord

Slumlord

Cheese Pants King

• 98 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 01:52 PM

Three dialog postings? I refuse to read them since I don't want to spoil anything for myself.

Ah, I am getting too verbose I suppose, but the ToB plot always felt a bit slim to me ...

That's an understatement. It's good to see mods such as this that plan to rectify that problem.

Posted Image
Well, good luck with that.

#5 Sphira

Sphira

mod muse

• 427 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 03:58 PM

I enjoyed it too, but I think I'm going to be a bit like slumlord and not read it in order to enjoy it more. :3 Unless if you need help, of course.
Kaoemeth -=Just Another Evil Romance.=-

Little Mindflayers come from drunken storks.

#6 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 05:00 PM

I enjoyed it too, but I think I'm going to be a bit like slumlord and not read it in order to enjoy it more. :3 Unless if you need help, of course.

I can understand the feeling of course. :) No, it is fine if you don't want to spoil it. I would probably appreciate some help with romance dialogs though - gosh these are pain to write to make it at least plausible. :unsure:

But I am not posting these, not just yet. Anything in particular you think may strike your fancy? (Apart from DW reading sad poetry and complaining :D to PC about Ellie ? )

I know it sounds crazy - but it is sooo much fun - I cannot resist it. I am really enjoying writing this part, even risking sound trashing from jason.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#7 -jcompton-

-jcompton-

Posted 08 May 2003 - 07:53 PM

I know it sounds crazy - but it is sooo much fun - I cannot resist it. I am really enjoying writing this part, even risking sound trashing from jason.

Er, what?

I've become the mustache-twirling villain, have I? Besides, what kind of fool do you think I am to even consider saying anything critical on the Attic?

Seriously, I have browsed but not seriously "consumed" the previews, which is likely how it will remain until you release.

#8 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 08:04 PM

I've become the mustache-twirling villain, have I?

Ah, what an image ... /swoons/ You know I am fond of villains... No Jason, I am just teasing you. I noticed you are getting very agitated when it comes to discussing male evil spell-caster romances. :lol:

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#9 Sphira

Sphira

mod muse

• 427 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 11:24 PM

I can understand the feeling of course. :) No, it is fine if you don't want to spoil it. I would probably appreciate some help with romance dialogs though - gosh these are pain to write to make it at least plausible. :unsure:

But I am not posting these, not just yet. Anything in particular you think may strike your fancy? (Apart from DW reading sad poetry and complaining :D to PC about Ellie ? )

As of now, no. I'm not so bad at writing romantic mush... better than other stuff anyway. :D

#10 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 08:46 AM

As of now, no. I'm not so bad at writing romantic mush... better than other stuff anyway.

Alright! I can definitely use some advice in this department ... I should finish more 'serious' stuff first - the whole 'join the party' sequence, and it is growing longer and longer since Jaheira is bitching, Jonny is snapping back and PC generally is not happy - but as soon as I am done with this, and about ... mmm 8-10 serious non-romance dialogs (yikes!) I will go back to 'romancing the stone'.

As you can guess the mod is sorta shifting into Soulafein's structural direction - ie Jon will talk with PC regardless of gender-alignment and these are 'serious' dialogs.

Now if you manage to find some common ground with him and *are a match* you may get some strange dreams ...

So far the match would be female elf, half elf of *any class* or human *arcane spellcaster/bard*. Since I don't think Jonny would fall for human paladin or a half-orc...

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#11 Sphira

Sphira

mod muse

• 427 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 04:57 PM

As of now, no. I'm not so bad at writing romantic mush... better than other stuff anyway.

Alright! I can definitely use some advice in this department ... I should finish more 'serious' stuff first - the whole 'join the party' sequence, and it is growing longer and longer since Jaheira is bitching, Jonny is snapping back and PC generally is not happy - but as soon as I am done with this, and about ... mmm 8-10 serious non-romance dialogs (yikes!) I will go back to 'romancing the stone'.

No rush, please! :lol: Quality is good! However, I suppose a PC couldn't question Jaheira if she's so mad at Irenicus, why isn't she mad at 'them'? Perhaps a line like, "If I wasn't a Bhaalspawn or if you and Khalid were not traveling with me, you would never had to suffer Khalid's loss"? A bit maytrish, I know, and she could easily counter that with the fact Khalid might of been tortured under Irenicus' watch. (I put down might due to the fact when Imoen says he was torturing her, Khalid was already dead.)

I would think Immy would take this harder than Jaheira.

As you can guess the mod is sorta shifting into Soulafein's structural direction - ie Jon will talk with PC regardless of gender-alignment and these are 'serious' dialogs.

Now if you manage to find some common ground with him and *are a match* you may get some strange dreams ...

So far the match would be female elf, half elf of *any class* or human *arcane spellcaster/bard*. Since I don't think Jonny would fall for human paladin or a half-orc...

I would find it very diffcult for him to even care for a human, actually. I think a good 'requirement' for the romance should rest upon the PC's Wisdom or Intellgence.

#12 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 08:05 PM

No rush, please!  Quality is good!

Alright - I cannot rush it even if I want to. It is a *slow and painful process*.

"If I wasn't a Bhaalspawn or if you and Khalid were not traveling with me, you would never had to suffer Khalid's loss"? A bit maytrish, I know, and she could easily counter that with the fact Khalid might of been tortured under Irenicus' watch.

Yes, this maybe a good trail of thought ... I am writing these scenes now, so I may try to go in this direction and see how natural it feels. Thanks!

I would think Immy would take this harder than Jaheira.

Perhaps, perhaps not. Physical suffering is harsh, but these memories are short term, and Immy is generally such a nice girl ... I think she of all them could forgive at some point, if she sees enough anguish. Jaheira is another story - she had lost love of her life (whatever PC may think and however it may develop later - he is a quick fix, nothing more.)

I would find it very diffcult for him to even care for a human, actually. I think a good 'requirement' for the romance should rest upon the PC's Wisdom or Intellgence.

Oh, I am sorry I forgot to mention this - of course it must be 14 int or above or 14 wis and above but never less than 10 in the second corresponding parameter. As for human mages and bards - I am very hesitative myself, but a friend of mine almost convinced me to give it a try. :)

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#13 jurts

jurts
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 01:21 AM

Perhaps, perhaps not. Physical suffering is harsh, but these memories are short term, and Immy is generally such a nice girl ... I think she of all them could forgive at some point, if she sees enough anguish. Jaheira is another story - she had lost love of her life (whatever PC may think and however it may develop later - he is a quick fix, nothing more.)

Are you going to write Jaheira-romanced dialogues from the perspective that PC is just a short-term fix and Khalid was, is and always will be her only true love? I don't know, but perhaps we should not deprive her of the chance of fall in love again, even if you don't find the way the Bioware romance does it, a credible way.

This is of course down to each owns interpretation, but I wouldn't want my PC's to be made feel like they are only a replecement, only a quick rebound.

#14 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 06:13 AM

Are you going to write Jaheira-romanced dialogues from the perspective that PC is just a short-term fix and Khalid was, is and always will be her only true love?

Absolutely not. I am not touching the Bio's interpretation of the romance. I just want to explore the Khalid-PC-Jaheira triangle a bit ... deeper. And make it so that PC will really benefit from getting Jon a soul if he is romancing Jae.

You can read the next dialog in the Attic btw. I just posted it today and it has Jaheira.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#15 ISHTELLIAN

ISHTELLIAN
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 04:38 AM

I am currently reading a rather colorful biography of a prominent 1960?s thriller author, and the juxtaposition of this man, and the women, and their other men, is fascinating.

I am still finishing Chap 3, Amn, so long behind, but value Jaheira in my party. However, she is a power hungry little gal, or at least doesn?t always follow instructions, has a very individualistic personality.

I would think that a PC-Khalid-Jaheira is a natural outcome in any case. For instance, Jaheira will ALWAYS measure any other man against her (possibly now romanticized?) memories of Khalid. Also, perhaps Khalid was a passive man, and Jaheira is used to the being the leading member of a romantic duo? (I didn?t play BG1, sorry?)

Those give a lot of room for some fun character development.

I make a point of posting here, ?cause it was this author?s (dorotea) fanfiction that brought me to this forum. Still poking about, exploring, but enjoying it so far?thanks dorotea!
"Nobody grasped you by the shoulder while there was still time. Now the clay of which you were shaped has dried and hardened, and naught in you will ever awaken the sleeping musician, the poet, the astronomer that possibly inhabited you in the beginning."
--Wind, Sand and Stars, by Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

Aut Pax Aut Bellum (Either Peace Or War) --Scottish Clan motto

--I'm pretty much an old guy who came to gaming late in life, but still probably before some of you were born!! Friends had too many of their D&D folk move out of town, so they recruited a neophyte. I am still very new to BG as well, didn't play BG1, am into BG2. Enjoy writing, for fun and for profit, found some of your fan fiction...

#16 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 05:59 PM

I would think that a PC-Khalid-Jaheira is a natural outcome in any case. For instance, Jaheira will ALWAYS measure any other man against her (possibly now romanticized?) memories of Khalid. Also, perhaps Khalid was a passive man, and Jaheira is used to the being the leading member of a romantic duo? (I didn?t play BG1, sorry?)

Those give a lot of room for some fun character development.

Well, the mod is not really focused on the J+K+PC triangle. I am only musing over it because of Jaheira's situation and her hatred to Jon that had to be resolved somehow. But thanks. :)

And thank you for your interest in my writing.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#17 -jcompton-

-jcompton-

Posted 14 May 2003 - 07:19 PM

Well, the mod is not really focused on the J+K+PC triangle. I am only musing over it because of Jaheira's situation and her hatred to Jon that had to be resolved somehow. But thanks. :)

It's very easy to resolve if Jaheira attacks Irenicus, the PC, or both upon the conclusion of an arrangement to harbor her husband's murderer, mutilator, and desecrator.

#18 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 08:30 PM

It's very easy to resolve if Jaheira attacks Irenicus, the PC, or both upon the conclusion of an arrangement to harbor her husband's murderer, mutilator, and desecrator.

Oh, Jason, you are too simple in your approach. I think she may come up with a more creative idea ( short of cutting him alive into small pieces) but still worthy of the offence. :lol:

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#19 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 09:36 PM

Oh, Jason, you are too simple in your approach. I think she may come up with a more creative idea ( short of cutting him alive into small pieces) but still worthy of the offence. :lol:

Creativity is always good - and I suspect your writing abilities will be up to the task. :lol:

#20 C'est Nedra

C'est Nedra
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 07:16 PM

Ooooh, Irneicus romance, the anticipation!:)

I think that Irenicus in theory *could* romance a human, but it would have to be rather difficult. As in, you have the say the EXACT right thing, no if ands or buts. Also, I think the intelligence/wisdom requirement would have be exceptionally high, maybe even 16 or so. I think that a half-elf would almost be more difficult that a human, half-breeds are looked down upon quite badly. Really though, since the char is a Bhaalspawn, I think that would make up for the human-ness. Maybe something in the end could grant the char immortality, if she agrees to stay human? Just a thought...already done by Lord E I do believe, in RtR.

Romance would be incredibly difficult with Irenicus anyways, he has enough demons to overcome just in himself. It would have to be rigorous, moody, sensitive, and yet all at the same time highly intellectual. This romance has the ultimate opportunity for quite a bit of in-depth discussion and debate over matters of faith and principle, especially if the char is not pursuing ascension.

Anyways, to the dialogue...I felt the Cyric dialogue needed a bit of spicing up, he is my fave deity to write after all ;)

"You are lucky Demogorgon is still suffering from the consequences of his bout with Helm"

I think Cyric would say something along the lines of "fortunate"...lucky is a bit common.

The petitioner you are seeking was transferred here from the fields of Blood War, and you have very little time until he is wanted back.*

I doubt he is going to be of any use to you*, even with all your cunning. The imprisoned spirits tend to go raving mad after a few months in the Abyss, or else turn into slavering sycophants, and this one is not even the whole spirit. Some sort of an oddity I believe, but you were always interested in aberrations, were you not? That fire giant spawn comes to mind. In any case - enjoy your little adventure in Hell, my mortal *friend*. You would not need my help in getting out of here, would you? Good. I shall follow your progress from afar. I hope that this last challenge you?ve set for yourself will not prove to be your doom. (exit) "

*Maybe "and you have been granted only a brief amount of time to exploit him" or something along those lines, a tiny bit stronger, more disdainful?

* "I doubt he will be of any practical use, even for such a cunning mortal as yourself" maybe?

That's all I've got for now, great stuff :)