Photo

GIMP problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Karandras

Karandras
  • 796 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:32 AM

I know this is morea GIMP problem than a modding one but this seemed to be the most relevant place to put this.

At one time GIMP would start up almost instantly, but for some reason now whenever I try and open it it begins to starts up and the hangs for 2-3 minutes when it gets to the "Looking for data files: Fonts" section. I was just wondering if this is a known issue or if anyone knows what is wrong.

In case it matters I am using Vista and the fonts folder does appear to be in the right place (reinstalling the program had no effect)
Posted Image
Thank you Sinharvest for the signature

#2 kalia

kalia
  • 454 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:13 AM

I know this is morea GIMP problem than a modding one but this seemed to be the most relevant place to put this.

At one time GIMP would start up almost instantly, but for some reason now whenever I try and open it it begins to starts up and the hangs for 2-3 minutes when it gets to the "Looking for data files: Fonts" section. I was just wondering if this is a known issue or if anyone knows what is wrong.

In case it matters I am using Vista and the fonts folder does appear to be in the right place (reinstalling the program had no effect)

Known issue - apparently there is a fix by deleting some sort of fonts file? I'll see if I can find the info again. Happens on my little laptop with Vista too.

here's the info I found on it:

Gimp appears to hang while loading fonts. What's going on?
If it's the first time you've run The GIMP, it may be indexing your fonts. This may take a few minutes to complete.
If The GIMP always takes a long time to scan your fonts, go to your user profile directory (typically C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\ and delete the .fonts.cache-1 file.
Some people reported that Gimp hangs or crashes if you have a font called Profont installed. Remove it, and try running Gimp again.

I couldn't find the noted fonts file in Vista (I can't find anything in Vista, really) - so if *you* find it & it works, lemme know. :P

#3 Karandras

Karandras
  • 796 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:24 AM

Wow I am slow...anyway I found the file but after deleting it I saw no change at all. Strangely enough When I reinstalled it today it now starts without a problem, I guess something else was conflicting with it :unsure:
Posted Image
Thank you Sinharvest for the signature