BioShock

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Sinharvest

Sinharvest

Your Cheerio Key Master

• 286 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:56 AM

Not sure where to put this if it needs to be moved then do so but i got a couple questions for it

~Just made it to the farmers market, now i have i already passed up the crossbow? And how far until i get the insect swarm plasmid?

~Once you beat the game will you be able to start a new one with all your weapons/plasmids?

#2 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:06 AM

Moved to General Gameplay. :)

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#3 Sinharvest

Sinharvest

Your Cheerio Key Master

• 286 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 03:23 PM

Lol thanks i wasent sure if their was a fourm for this lol

#4 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 07:45 PM

Woo-hoo! One of the developers is called 2K Australia ^_^
sorry had to let that one out, home country, yknow? ;)

Anyways try the FAQs/Walkthroughs at this link, most are XBox 360 but all should be similar to what you're after.
http://www.gamefaqs....ame/924919.html

Hope one of them has your answers ^_^

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#5 Sinharvest

Sinharvest

Your Cheerio Key Master

• 286 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 08:41 PM

Lol thanks unfortunatly i had already checked their and many other game info sites.... lol but thank you

#6 Blackest Harper

Blackest Harper
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 07:43 AM

I actually forget how much further it is. My dad is using the Xbox for his own war games that I havn't been able to play. I miss my fire plasmids <_<. But it should not be far because I remember getting them around the same time. Also... the crossbow rocks agiast Big Daddies! At least for me.

Edited by Blackest Harper, 03 September 2007 - 07:44 AM.

#7 Sinharvest

Sinharvest

Your Cheerio Key Master

• 286 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:49 AM

Ok i just made it into Fort Frolic went can i get the xbow or have i passed it up already?>

#8 Blackest Harper

Blackest Harper
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:51 AM

Ok i just made it into Fort Frolic went can i get the xbow or have i passed it up already?>

I think you passed it. But dont quote me on that :rolleyes:

#9 Ibis

Ibis

moonlit sleepless florida nights

• 114 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 03:34 PM

Maybe I would like this game. I love crossbows ... in Morrowind anywayz.
Remember the Glory Days of Morrowind Mods? Visit Gamersroam Archival Download Library of 1032 old Morrowind Mods and take your pick. Just register and enjoy the good ole days!

#10 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 10:03 AM

Just beat Bioshock for the first time, and here are my thoughts about it, for those interested in the game:

The Good
Bioshock is a supremely disturbing game, and a worthy heir to System Shock (though I still feel SS2 is superior). The atmosphere is just about perfect, and the neo-scifi art deco look suits the game very, very well, and everywhere is the sound of water-you are never more than a few feet away from a reminder that you're on the bottom of the ocean. The audio logs work as well as they did in the SS series for the player to slowly piece together how and why an undersea utopia became a ruined, leaking grave for hundreds, if not thousands, and why life for the survivors is decidedly worse than the alternative. All of the weapons have their uses (Ibis, the crossbow ain't exactly like a Morrowind crossbow-this thing is a sniper's weapon), as do the plasmids. The environment is wonderfully designed (I made the mistake of using the flamethrower in a library... not my finest move), the research system works well, and there's a definite benefit to researching and ferreting out hidden goodies and locations-they most definitely come in handy. The storyline is deep and intriguing, and there are some profoundly unsettling moments in the game (the ghost scenes in Eve's Garden, watching the Little Sister and Big Daddy together before an attack, the very end of Hepheastus...)

And for the record, the crossbow is found in Fort Frolic after meeting Sander Cohen.

The Bad
Character development is limited at best. Aside from periodically purchasing new upgrades such as an extended life bar, picking up new weapons, and gathering more plasmids, there's no real sense that your character is progressing. There are no skills ala System Shock, meaning every character can use every weapon and plasmid as soon as they acquire it. Instead of an inventory, you have gene tonics, which again are usable by everyone, and there's no real drawback to any of it. Hacking is also a bit of a joke-ever played Pipe Dream? Same game here. Not to mention there can be a security camera high up on a wall, and while under attack by enemies, you can jump up and hack it in mid-air while your enemies patiently wait for you to finish. Many of the plasmids and gene tonics also just aren't that useful, and while there are lots and lots of options, there aren't that many *good* options.

The Ugly
System Shock was a difficult game, even on easy. Ammunition was a rare and precious commodity, ditto psi hypos (EVE hypos to Bioshockers), medkits, batteries, cyber-modules (ADAM), and nanites (dollars). In Bioshock you practically trip over goodies. You can pretty much play Bioshock as a run-and-gun shooter without more looking around than the story requires if you so choose. Sure, you'll be a little lower on ammo and powerups than the guy determined to explore every inch of Rapture, but that's not really a disadvantage. There is also virtually no penalty for dying-resurrection tubes are located every ten feet or so, cost nothing to use (unlike in SS), and damage you deal does not diminish in death-you can knock a boss to half health, die, come back, and they'll still be at half health. All in all, Bioshock tests your sanity more than your playing skills-it's actually a pretty easy game, all told. The final boss is also a bit of a joke, and the one ending I did see (there's a good and evil ending, I did the good one) was decidedly cheesy.

A sample experience I had while playing:

3 AM this morning with the dorm lights out, quietly tracking a Big Daddy by the sound of his heavy footsteps and gauging how loud the voice singing "Jesus loves me, this I know..." to decide how close that splicer is. Dormmate knocks on door. My head leaves a hole in the dorm ceiling.

And bottom line: I think I will be having nightmares about the phrase "I want to take the ears off..." Bioshock is well worth getting if you don't mind the hairs on the back of your neck working overtime.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#11 khay

khay

Swords to Rust, Hearts to Dust

• Modder
  • 1719 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 10:52 AM

To be honest I think I expected too much from this game. I agree with most of your points, Tempest, except that the game is difficult, I somehow found it balanced.

Edit: Oops, sorry, I initially misread your post. :P Yeah, I agree, Bioshock = easy mode compared to System Shock 2.

The best Bioshock review is probably the Zero Punctuation one, which you can find right here. It sums up the game quite well, methinks.

Edited by khayman, 22 September 2007 - 11:36 AM.

#12 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 11:29 AM

I picked up the game recently on a friend's recommendation, and I'm not sure how far I am (just entered Arcadia), but I'm enjoying it a lot. I never played the System Shock games, and very rarely play shooters of any sort, so I suppose I'm not as spoiled. I do kinda miss the RPG aspects that were promised, though-I'm a lunatic who actually enjoys juggling inventory and deciding desperately whether I really want to carry that extra sword or make room for some potions instead.

Anyone know if I can download System Shock or SS 2 online, though? This is the third or fourth time I've heard about them, and I get the impression they're old games.
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!" -Charname, Baldur's Gate 1

"Power corrupts. And absolute power is actually pretty neat." -Tom Clancy

"Is it possible to take Favored Enemy: Forum Poster?" -Someone who shall remain anonymous

#13 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:20 PM

System Shock Series FAQ