Photo

Playing IWD on LAN

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Midwinter

Midwinter
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:57 AM

Hello there, I have a question for the IWD experts. I'd like to play this game on a LAN, but we only have three players. The most logical solution would be to let everyone have two characters, but I was wondering if it's possible to play the game with a party of three. After all, experience is spread over the entire party, so a smaller party would level faster.

Still, this is only theory. I never played an IE-game with a party smaller than six, so my question is if this would work out. Or should we just go with two characters each?

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 08:40 AM

If you follow the guide, you'll see that in theory, it's possible. But can you do it in reality, it's up to you and your friends. I say not a chance, but prove me wrong, and you'll probably make history. :cheers:

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 Rastor

Rastor

Yes, I really am a dragon. Yes, I am a jerk. Live with it.

• 2001 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 09:49 AM

The initial few quests will likely be extremely hard, but after that it won't be bad once you get into about Chapter 2 since you'll level up relatively quickly.
Home of Kitanya, Improved Asylum, more...

Posted Image

#4 Midwinter

Midwinter
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 12:07 AM

Thanks for the comments. I decided to test it yesterday with four characters total, two players. The first real quest (recover the cargo) was very, very hard. Maybe it's possible to play the game with just three characters, but not in multiplayer, where coordinating a battle alone is a challenge. So I think we'll stick with two characters each. :)

#5 The Red Knight

The Red Knight
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 01:18 PM

I Did 3 Characters Halfling Fighter/Thief, who had serious issues in the begining because she had lower hitpoints than my Ranger/cleric and my Fighter/mage who peppered stuff with his sling. It has been pretty okay. I kept getting crushed by the ogre in the orc cave, and the vale ws preety easy, the last skeletal mage and the imbued wights in Kresselak's tomb were a little challenging. I'm at the first level of dragon's eye and am running into some peoblems, currently my little halfing is getting a little overwhelmed. I need to scrape together enough for the helm of the Trusted Defender so i can haste her to oblivion.

#6 Nxuan

Nxuan
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:24 AM

I am curently playing IWD2 on lan with a friend, and we decided to go with 1 character each. While the game isn't too hard with the proper classes (we have one fighter/priest and one fighter/sorcerer, with each of us spending some skill points in traps/detection to take care of them), it becomes very difficult with the way IWD2 handles the experience. It looks like it spawns more monsters if the average level of the party is higher, which is true since the exp is divided in 2 only. Do you guys know any easy way to disable those stupid extraspawns, making every single battle look like a Linkin Park concert?