Photo

Increasing texture size

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Karandras

Karandras
  • 796 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:43 PM

Once again another help request from me ( *sigh* one of these days you would think I would learn)

Anyway I have now seen several references to increasing the size of the texture to get it to look better such as in QTP3 and I was wondering if such an idea could be applied to an armor or weapon?

If it can be done how would I go about doing it?

Edited by Karandras, 24 September 2007 - 03:43 PM.

Posted Image
Thank you Sinharvest for the signature

#2 Ryu Doppler

Ryu Doppler

That guy with the felt hat...

• 523 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:00 PM

Once again another help request from me ( *sigh* one of these days you would think I would learn)

Anyway I have now seen several references to increasing the size of the texture to get it to look better such as in QTP3 and I was wondering if such an idea could be applied to an armor or weapon?

If it can be done how would I go about doing it?

Yep. Just increase the texture size. As long as they have the same aspect ratio of the original everything should be fine. And the UV map of objects will translate onto the bigger textures. Same for taking something with a bigger texture and reducing it.

Like taking a 512x512 texture and increasing it to 1024x1024 (2 times normal ratio).

Edited by Ryu Doppler, 24 September 2007 - 07:02 PM.

A moderate amount of evil is nature to all.
If one is to control their nature, then they
must accept both the light and the dark.

Doppler's Armory - I'll do something...eventually...

#3 Karandras

Karandras
  • 796 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:07 PM

That seems really simple...is there a major performance hit? (i know there is with QTP3) but would that still apply if it was only a single weapon or armor set?

Edited by Karandras, 24 September 2007 - 07:28 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Ryu Doppler

Ryu Doppler

• 523 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:24 PM

That seems really simple...is there a major performance hit? (i know there is with QTP3) but would that still apply if it was only a single weapon or armor set?

I don't think there would be. I'm not really a big texture guy like others may be, but I do know that if there were any hits it would have a lot more to do with the actual file Size than the image Dimensions. Bigger the file in actual size, the more memory is needed to load it.

A 341 KB file is going to have less of a performance hit than a 2 MB file when loaded obviously.

I figure if it were only a few instances of an item it wouldn't be too bad. If it were only confined to a few things like a custom weapon or armor set, I think you'd be OK.

#5 Karandras

Karandras
  • 796 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:28 PM

Okay I did a small test but can't see any change

This is the original
Posted Image

And this is with the texture increased to four times the previous resolution (making it a 33 mb file)
Posted Image

Does this sort of thing only work on some armors?
Posted Image

#6 Ryu Doppler

Ryu Doppler

• 523 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:51 PM

Okay I did a small test but can't see any change

This is the original
http://i154.photobuc...eenShot87-1.jpg

And this is with the texture increased to four times the previous resolution (making it a 33 mb file)
http://i154.photobuc...eenShot88-2.jpg

Does this sort of thing only work on some armors?

UV maps basically scale to fit the dimensions of the texture they are applied to. And since DDS textures are all powers of 2 (128 to 256 to 512 to 1024 to 2048 to 4096 and so on) they should scale correctly for all the textures. So increasing any texture for more detail should work on everything really.

The downside of using big textures is that it uses more memory to load them, draining the system of resources and potentially leading to slowdowns. Using big textures for a few items should be perfectly fine. It's only when lots of things using big images must get loaded that things start to go bad. As in with QTP3, where everything has bigger enhanced textures that need more memory to load into Oblivion.

#7 Karandras

Karandras
  • 796 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:53 PM

Hmm guess I need to try it on some other items as well to see if they have any change, thank you very much for the help
Posted Image