• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 09:16 PM

With Darian coming down to the gremlin hunt in his code, my creative energies have been lacking an outlet. As such, I thought I'd toss out two character concepts for my project after Darian: a druid and a cleric.

Xarana
True Neutral/Neutral Evil Female Half-Elf Avenger
Tentative Stats: STR 14 DEX 12 CON 16 WIS 17 INT 11 CHA 9
Misc Info: From the Spine of the World, worships Auril
Romancable: No
Personal Quest: Yes
Overview:
Some would call Xarana a selfless guardian of nature. Others would call her a cold-blooded mass murderer. A few would simply call her a Shadow Druid. All of these descriptions would be accurate. The party would encounter her, however, in the druid grove, under attack by shadow druids-yes, under attack. As she will inform the party, the Shadow Circle happens to want her dead. Why, she won't tell the player at first, but some things do come to the surface quickly: her entire arc of the druidic circle far to the north was wiped out aside from her, and Xarana came south, seeking the counsel of the former Great Druid of Amn, not realizing Faldorn had taken it over. Xarana will offer to join the party, but her motives are purely selfish-protection from the Shadow Circle and the opportunity to gain power. However, as long as Xarana is in the party, the group will be periodically attacked by shadow druids. If the player wants to know why, hopefully to put an end to the attacks, you will have to ask Xarana yourself-you can just put up with the attacks if you wish. If you do ask her, you'll lead into her quest, which revolves around political intrigue within the druidic circles-they're not as simple as you would think, and the Shadow Circle is of course heavily involved.
History:
I actually have a fanfic of Xarana's early life around-Cold Fire, but for those not interested in reading, her life hasn't exactly been happy. She is a daughter of rape, the result of a raider attack on an elven village, and she was abandoned and raised by the druidic circle. However, she grew up to have a fierce hatred of anyone who would oppose nature-she joined the Avengers at an early age, and her growing bitterness to the world exploded, with her eventually destroying her home village and joining the Shadow Circle. Her history past that point will be left to be explored in her quest.
Personality:
Xarana is a bitter, spiteful, and cold-hearted woman with a streak of cruelty who will gladly destroy anyone who opposes the will of nature. She serves nature as a force of destruction, and views civilization as a plague on the world-a construct by weak people to protect the weak, for in nature, only the strong survive. She believes in this wholeheartedly, and despises anyone too tied to civilization. Her greatest loathing, however, is reserved for half-breeds of any sort, which she regards as abominations-including herself. She also takes a certain pleasure in torturing and killing those she deems enemies of nature.
Relations with Bioware npc's:
Xarana's relations with the Bioware cast would range from neutral (Cernd) to quite possibly violent (Anomen). She doesn't make any bones about her beliefs or the fact that she has a great deal of blood on her hands, which sets her at odds with most characters, and about the only Bioware characters she wouldn't have a negative view of would be Cernd and Valygar. I am strongly considering a possible redemption of sorts to TN for Xarana as a result of Cernd's quest-it hits her on an extremely deep level, and may in fact lead to a romance between the druids.

Sample banter:

Xarana: Nalia, why do you insist on this foolish notion that giving money to the poor somehow helps them?

Nalia: It does help them. I am a noble, and it is my duty to look after them. Common people are capable of much good, given the opportunity.

Xarana: You squander your resources on fools. It may help for a time, but in the end, the money will run out. What good will your money do when it exists no longer? You weaken yourself and your family on a fool?s errand.

Nalia: And what would you suggest? Hoarding riches like the pompous old fools my father was forced to associate with?

Xarana: Yes. Make the peasants? lives as miserable as you can, reduce them to animals if you must.

Nalia: You?re horrible! You would let people be treated like vermin just to add a few more shiny coins to your coffers?

Xarana: Oh no, silly girl. When brutalized to the level of an animal, even the most rational mind will be reduced to instinct. The peasants would eventually snap like brittle twigs, and launch an uprising to destroy their rulers and their society. That is what I strive for. One of nature?s greatest weapons against civilization is the very trappings of its enemy. Sooner or later, civilization tends to destroy itself. I merely advocate that you give it a little push. After all, the social order in nature is the fairest of all, is it not?

Nalia: I will not see people reduced to the level of animals!

Xarana: But Nalia? we are animals.

Riysler
(NOTE: For those of you who know Riysler, this incarnation of him is about a decade and a half older, with some big background changes)
Lawful Good Male Human Cleric
Tentative Stats: STR 12 DEX 10 CON 17 WIS 18 INT 13 CHA 12
Romancable: No
Overview:
Riysler is a Doomguide of Kelemvor, Master of the Crystal Spire and Judge of the Damned. As a priest of the god of the dead, he is a bitter foe of the undead and has come to Athkatla on a sacred quest to purge the graveyard of the walking dead, and will gladly accept the party's assistance. However, his hatred of the undead does not make exceptions-if the party decides to side with Bodhi, he will leave and reluctantly attack the party. However, he has an additional quest of his own that will initially seem short and fairly pointless-there will be a strong temptation to ask what was going on. If the player does ask Riysler, he will slowly, in what amounts to a friendship sequence, tell the player about his past and what led up to the seemingly inexplicible event.
History:
Riysler's past is mostly to be explored in his friendship path after completing his quest, but there's some that he will tell you. He was an old friend and colleague of Gorion, and helped in the Harpers' research of the Time of Troubles and the prophecies. As a priest of Kelemvor, Riysler had access to certain texts held by the Cyric priesthood, and the Myrkul priesthood before that, and Riysler was at the battle at the temple of Bhaal where Gorion rescued Charname. However, in the aftermath, Gorion made Riysler promise to never anyone outside of the small group dedicated to fighting the prophecies what had transpired-he will only break down and tell the player that he does in fact know who Charname's mother was if the player asks him about it after the Solar sequence in ToB where Alianna talks to the player. This is one of the secrets he keeps for Gorion, and it is not the only one.
Personality:
Riysler is, for the most part, calm and patient, even when dealing with the likes of Korgan. He has seen much during his time-things both wonderful and terrible to behold, and as a priest of the lord of death, is not in a hurry to convert anyone to his views-he knows everyone will come to know the truth of Kelemvor in time. He is in fact a depressing individual, and talks much of death-but, he says, death is not something to be feared. Riysler is also a largely benevolent individual, and though he may rebuke what he sees as foolhardy decisions, is largely content to let the player walk their own path. However, if the player is willing, Riysler may also begin to see Charname in an almost fatherly light-he was a close friend of Gorion, and saw Charname occasionally at Candlekeep. He does settle into an elder mentor/guardian role naturally, but he may slowly start to think of Charname as, if not a son/daughter, then as a gifted nephew/neice. This would be entirely up to the player-he knows Charname may still be extremely attached to Gorion, and he has the utmost of respect for his old friend.
Relations with Bioware npc's:
Riysler has some history with Jaheira (not romantic, mind-he officiated at Jaheira's wedding with Khalid), and they are on established, friendly terms. He is generally ambivalent and friendly with the Bioware cast, though his constant talk of death may annoy a few folks. He is quite happy to talk philosophy and theology with Cernd, Keldorn, and anyone else who cares to. The closest he comes to a feud is with Edwin, who sorely tests his patience.

Sample Banter (note that Riysler refers to every female younger than him as 'my dear', which amounts to all of the Bioware women-he even uses it with Jaheira):

Riysler: Aerie, my dear, you look troubled.

Aerie: I-I didn't mean to disturb you, Riysler.

Riysler: Not at all, my dear. What is wrong?

Aerie: I... I've been thinking. What if I can never go back? What if I can never return to Faeyna-Dail and am trapped here on the ground forever?

Riysler: Then you will face your life here on the ground. Perhaps it is not life in the clouds, but it is life nonetheless. Life, my dear, is a precious thing-enjoy it while you may.

Aerie: But it's hard, sometimes. To enjoy life when I feel as though I drag heavy weights everywhere I go.

Riysler: You need not carry those weights alone, my dear. Allow me to help you with this. (Removes several heavy objects from Aerie's backpack and places them in his) You are not alone in this world, Aerie.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#2 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:41 AM

I hope you won't be slowing down on Darian for either of these characters!

Still, they both look interesting-I really like Riysler's concept. The idea of going through the climax of his personal quest and only afterwards finding out what led up to it is interesting, and I like the idea of one of another of Gorion's old friends/colleagues coming to help Charname. Xarana, I'm not so sanguine about, because I very rarely play evil characters, and I think she would just tick everyone off. But I might play her for the Cernd romance alone.
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!" -Charname, Baldur's Gate 1

"Power corrupts. And absolute power is actually pretty neat." -Tom Clancy

"Is it possible to take Favored Enemy: Forum Poster?" -Someone who shall remain anonymous

#3 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 05:35 AM

Nope, Sol, these are just my concepts for my project after Darian-finishing Darian's SoA content will be my priority once I get him out for alpha (finishing his friendship and player-initiated dialogues and adding his interjections), then my priority will be his ToB content. One project at a time.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#4 Unmei

Unmei
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 11:39 AM

Im glad Darian won't be delayed, but I do hope you end up making one of these characters a reality sometime in the future. I really like the idea of Riysler. It must be really hard for him to attack charname even if he/she sides with Bohdi; he must feel VERY strongly about the undead.

#5 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 11:52 AM

Actually, Riysler's hatred of the undead is even more intense than you would think-the reasons for this hatred would be something to be explored in his friendship. It's about the only thing that can drive him to any sort of intense emotion-he has accumulated many scars over the years, some of which run deeper than the skin, and aside from calmly rebuking Edwin or others, and a certain degree of nearly paternal warmth for Charname (assuming Charname acts in a generally good-aligned manner) and a few other younger npc's, he virtually never displays any strong emotion.

More so than even Jaheira or Keldorn, Riysler takes it upon himself to look after the younger members of the party, and tends strongly towards the benevolent elder mentor personality-albeit with an obsession with death- though there are undercurrents of certain other sides to him that are not quite dead and buried-his friendship with Charname would explore these sides of him, and why they have almost completely faded away.

#6 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:43 PM

Riysler sounds like a very different kind of mod npc from anything I've seen before, so that's another plus for him over Xarana in my book, plus I like clerics more than druids. However, you said that Riysler's quest has to happen before his friendship, not the other way around. Mind elaborating?
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!" -Charname, Baldur's Gate 1

"Is it possible to take Favored Enemy: Forum Poster?" -Someone who shall remain anonymous

#7 Unmei

Unmei
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:54 PM

Sounds really interesting. Am I detecting some horrible Resident Evilesque event in his past?

You say he thinks of Jaheira as a "My Dear". How does he react to Viconia?

#8 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:34 PM

However, you said that Riysler's quest has to happen before his friendship, not the other way around. Mind elaborating?

Certainly. What I aim to do with Riysler is to try something a little different-Riysler's quest is short and involves a battle, the circumstances of which Riysler would not tell the player. However, it will have all the earmarks of being the big finish to a long story-deliberately intended to make the player wonder what on Toril is going on and why. It's if you ask Riysler about it afterwards that he begins to talk with the player, both talking of the world and the things in it, Charname's past, and Riysler's own past as he slowly unfolds.

Am I detecting some horrible Resident Evilesque event in his past?

Not exactly. There's one event in particular that set Riysler down his road, which is one of the central points of his friendship path and the source of his hatred for the undead, but Riysler is also simply an old and weary man by the time of BG2-he's seen a great deal, wonders and horrors alike, and death is not far in the future for him, even if he doesn't die in battle.

You say he thinks of Jaheira as a "My Dear". How does he react to Viconia?

He calls her 'My dear' as well. It's nothing too special-Riysler refers to every female younger than him as such, which amounts to the entire female cast of BG2.

For the record, as part of his friendship, Riysler would also comment extensively on Charname's romantic entanglements, especially with Aerie and Jaheira. Riysler takes an almost paternal view of Aerie, though it wouldn't be a friendship track per se and he takes a similar view of Nalia, and he's an old friend of Jaheira-I'm seriously considering writing Riysler's lore as he being the priest who married Khalid and Jaheira. It isn't Riysler's style to be critical of Charname, but as I've said, he may rebuke Charname when he/she makes decisions he disagrees with.

I should also note that Riysler and/or Xarana could very well make it into BG1 as mod npc's. However, this is unlikely for Riysler-with Finch and Gavin out, there's really not much call for another good-aligned cleric.

#9 Unmei

Unmei
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:45 PM

For the record, as part of his friendship, Riysler would also comment extensively on Charname's romantic entanglements, especially with Aerie and Jaheira. Riysler takes an almost paternal view of Aerie, though it wouldn't be a friendship track per se and he takes a similar view of Nalia, and he's an old friend of Jaheira-I'm seriously considering writing Riysler's lore as he being the priest who married Khalid and Jaheira. It isn't Riysler's style to be critical of Charname, but as I've said, he may rebuke Charname when he/she makes decisions he disagrees with.

What if Charname is a girl?  Have any ideas about how he'd react to her romance with Anomen?  What about if she were romancing Darian?  I'm sure you'd have some insight into that relationship, considering.  ;)

#10 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:59 PM

Whether Riysler would approve or disapprove of Charname having a romance with Anomen would depend on which way his Test goes-Riysler himself is of two minds about Anomen. On one hand, he knows Anomen is brave, forthright, and nothing if not loyal-I have no doubt Anomen would throw himself in front of a train for someone he loved, and Riysler would see that. On the other hand, Anomen is also headstrong, impetuous, and quick to judge and act, things Riysler takes a very dim view of. Sir Anomen is someone Riysler would firmly approve of. Ex-squire Anomen is someone Riysler would both greatly dislike and disapprove of.

As for Darian, I think Riysler would dislike him initially, but warm to him as time goes on and Darian's personality changes.

Viconia actually represents a more troublesome issue-I think Riysler would definitely disapprove of her, but I could see Charname persuading him otherwise. Viconia is, I feel, a benign, if not good, woman in her heart of hearts, and Charname could definitely argue on her behalf.

Remember that if I do make Riysler my project after Darian, rather than Xarana, he is a rather placid individual-even the characters he dislikes (Edwin primarily, but Korgan as well), he will treat calmly and patiently, albeit sternly. About the only character, mod or otherwise, who I could forsee really getting Riysler emotional would be Valen, with whom Riysler would be mutually incompatible-if the party tries talking to him in chapter 6 with a vampire in their midst, it is more than likely Riysler would attack. He wouldn't be happy about it and would know he could not survive, but Riysler actually welcomes death-he's done all that he can in this world.

#11 Unmei

Unmei
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 02:10 PM

To tell the truth I think it would be refreshing.  There are some prickly, intense, arrogant, and annoying NPC's available in BG2.  They all have their charm (I even warmed up to Anomen after a while) but I think it would be nice to have an NPC who gets along with almost everyone.  

Of course, it depends on the player, but I also think charname would welcome a father figure since he/she was almost an orphan and Gorian has been dead for some time.

#12 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 02:18 PM

He calls her 'My dear' as well. It's nothing too special-Riysler refers to every female younger than him as such, which amounts to the entire female cast of BG2.

Viconia is probably about twice his age. :lol:

Drow are considered adults at 80 iirc, and they are one of the fastest-growing subraces. (I don't know about avariel, though.)

#13 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 02:21 PM

To tell the truth I think it would be refreshing. There are some prickly, intense, arrogant, and annoying NPC's available in BG2. They all have their charm (I even warmed up to Anomen after a while) but I think it would be nice to have an NPC who gets along with almost everyone.

Don't mistake civility for liking people, mind you. Riysler does *not* like Edwin or Korgan, would definitely not like CN Anomen, and regards Viconia and Minsc with a certain distaste. He simply does not see the point in feuding. Remember that Riysler is an old character-he's as old or older than Keldorn, and sees petty bickering and feuding as a perogative of youth.

Of course, it depends on the player, but I also think charname would welcome a father figure since he/she was almost an orphan and Gorian has been dead for some time.

On the other hand, my BG2 alter ego would insert the Ravager +6 into Riysler's vital organs for daring to attempt to take Gorion's place. There will always be an option to tell Riysler to back off-he's an old friend of Gorion, and is well aware that it may be a touchy issue. He has no desire to disrespect Gorion or his memory.

Viconia is probably about twice his age.

Drow are considered adults at 80 iirc, and they are one of the fastest-growing subraces. (I don't know about avariel, though.)

Aerie's about three times Riysler's age. Mentally and emotionally speaking, Riysler would be one of the oldest potential members of the party alongside Keldorn.

#14 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 04:05 PM

How does Riysler react to a necromancer PC?

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#15 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 08:54 PM

That's a tough one to figure out, Azzy. I'm thinking it might come down to the alignment of the player-he would join a good-aligned necromancer, refuse to join a neutral one, and quite possibly attack an evil necromancer.

#16 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 12:22 AM

That's a tough one to figure out, Azzy. I'm thinking it might come down to the alignment of the player-he would join a good-aligned necromancer, refuse to join a neutral one, and quite possibly attack an evil necromancer.

Does the game even allow a good-aligned necromancer? I vaguely remembered it had alignment restrictions, kind of like Assassin. *checks* Apparently there aren't. Huh. Well, I'm sure the exact reasoning and worldview that would lead a good-aligned PC to specialize in necromancy would make for a lot of interesting discussions. A few possibilities that come to mind:
  • focusing on necromantic effects other than creating undead, such as various energy-drain type effects, as both weapons in the fight against evil and, perhaps, as a form of appropriate/poetic justice when applied to power-hungry evil beings;
  • seeing the body as mere "worldly clay" that the dead no longer need, but which can be called on, through the creation of mindless undead, to support righteous causes (and being fully comfortable with the prospect of the PC's own body, at least in principle, being called on in a similar fashion);
  • seeing (and using) spells which call the souls of the dead back to the world (either as disembodied spirits or as sentient undead) to perform tasks that further righteous causes as a form of atonement offered to the repentent less-than-virtuous dead;
Etc.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#17 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 07:24 AM

Yes, I forsee at least one class-related talk on Riysler's friendship, and he and a necromancer would certainly have a great deal to talk about-I've played a good-aligned necromancer myself in PnP.

And since Riysler seems by far the more popular of the two concepts, I sketched out a couple more banters. Ilmatar, I hope you don't mind that I'm transplanting one of Annie's chats with Riysler-that little chatter actually struck me as a very nice banter. I'll remove it if you want, however.

Riysler-Nalia
Note: Riysler will have a more extensive series of banters with Nalia than any other npc save Jaheira, in all likelihood. As a Doomguide of Kelemvor, it is one of his foremost duties to comfort those who have lost loved ones, and this banter takes place after all that.

Nalia: Riysler, you never gave me the chance to thank you. For helping me through my father's death.

Riysler: It was nothing, my dear. No thanks are needed.

Nalia: But they are. You lost someone too, didn't you? That's why you act like you do.

Riysler: A long time ago, this servant did lose someone close to him, yes. But do not give me pity or empathy. I have no need of such things.

Nalia: Then will you accept compassion?

Riysler: Compassion is a rare and precious gift, Nalia, but one best spent on the living. Do not waste it upon the damned.

Riysler-Korgan

Riysler: Korgan, you appear to take an altogether unhealthy degree of pleasure in death.

Korgan: Eh? Did ye just call me evil or somethin like every other priest has before I gutted them?

Riysler: No, and I will not. It is not my place to judge you.

Korgan: Good. Then I'll let you live for a few more days.

Riysler: Do not dishonor the dead, Korgan, for in time you will number among them. It is in death that you will be judged for your crimes, and that judgement will be absolute and eternal.

Korgan: The only judgement I worry about is whether that tavern lass is attractive or not, priest. Ye can keep on babblin all ye like, but I only got so much ear for listnin to ye.

#18 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 11:47 AM

He's starting to sound a bit like Xan. :) I hope whatever calamities Riysler's been through will stay in the past, though. I'm not really in the mood for another character who's broken up over his past.

#19 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:26 PM

Riysler's past will come up in his friendship path, but he won't be looking for sympathy or therapy of any sort and will rebuff Charname if he/she tries. From an objective standpoint, Riysler does indeed need therapy, but when he brings up his past, it's long over and done with. Riysler's an old man, weary of the world in general and emotionally ready to die. In Faerunian terms, Riysler is extremely old for an adventurer-he's old enough to be a grandfather, and he sees it as his duty to spend what little time he has left in the pursuit of good.

I'm still not going to start any serious work or banter writing until I get Darian finished, but here are some thoughts on how he'd get along with the Bioware cast:

Minsc: Minsc would make a poor first impression on Riysler, but I think they would quickly become amiable. Riysler will always be a little alienated by Minsc, though-as a priest of Kelemvor, it is one of his foremost duties to tend to the dying and those who have recently lost loved ones, but Minsc deals with Dynaheir's death in a very, well, Minsc-y way.

Jaheira: Riysler and Jaheira are old friends, with Jaheira for once the one being addressed as 'child'. I think Riysler would open up a seldom-seen part of Jaheira as he talks to her about the deaths of Khalid and Gorion.

Jaheira Romance Note: Riysler would definitely talk to Jaheira about her feelings for Charname, especially in relation to Khalid. He doesn't disapprove of *Charname* at all, unless he's evil, but feels Jaheira is dishonoring Khalid by moving on so soon. It's his belief that she can indeed move on and find love again, but it deepy troubled by how quickly she does it.

Yoshimo: Riysler actually likes Yoshimo, but will be saddened and troubled by his eventual betrayal and death. For his part, Yoshimo will ask Riysler about certain aspects of theology, such as what happens to a soul after death, which Riysler is happy to answer.

Aerie: Riysler does get sucked in by her helpless act, but he's not exactly the kind of person she had in mind. I think Riysler does see through her act and understand her manipulations and why, but steps in as an almost parental figure, intending to help her heal the emotional wounds she's been dealt.

Aerie Romance Note: Riysler approves of Aerie, but tries to make sure Charname understands that she's not as simple as she appears. He doesn't truly approve of her manipulative nature, but as long as Charname indicates that he's doing things of his own free will, that's good enough for Riysler.

Nalia: Another strong case of Riysler taking a borderline paternal view of someone, and Nalia is likely the most severe case due to her father's death. Out of any Bioware character, I believe Riysler's strongest relationship would be with Nalia, and she would definitely come to think of him as, if not a replacement father, then as a trusted friend and mentor.

Anomen: Riysler again tries to counsel Anomen, but as with Keldorn, Anomen does not desire said counsel. Riysler will accept this and leave him be, but there would be a significant difference between Sir Anomen and CN Anomen. He would be much more friendly with LG Anomen, and he would have a correspondingly poor relationship with CN Anomen.

Anomen Romance Note: Whether Riysler would approve or disapprove of Charname having a romance with Anomen would depend on which way his Test goes-Riysler himself is of two minds about Anomen. On one hand, he knows Anomen is brave, forthright, and nothing if not loyal-I have no doubt Anomen would throw himself in front of a train for someone he loved, and Riysler would see that. On the other hand, Anomen is also headstrong, impetuous, and quick to judge and act, things Riysler takes a very dim view of. Sir Anomen is someone Riysler would firmly approve of. Ex-squire Anomen is someone Riysler would both greatly dislike and disapprove of.

Korgan: Riysler does not like Korgan, and the sentiment is mutual. Riysler considers the dwarf foolhardy to an extreme and moreover one to not honor the dead. In return, Korgan is, well, Korgan.

Jan: Riysler will actually sit there and patiently listen to Jan's stories, which means they're on good terms (whether Riysler pays attention to those stories is another question). He'll actually be impressed by how Jan deals with his quest, and his love for his girlfriend.

Viconia: Riysler takes a dislike to Viconia, though it's not as bad as for Korgan or Edwin. He tries not to let the fact that she's a drow trouble him-rather, it all stems from her personality and the goddess she worships. Riysler takes a very dim view of Shar and her clergy, and Viconia's own attitude will further repulse him.

Viconia Romance Note: As you might expect, Riysler would gravely disapprove of Viconia. However, Charname could definitely convince him that she's a good person at heart, which would lead to him adopting a wait-and-see approach.

Keldorn: Not a whole lot to say, other than that Riysler and Keldorn see each other as contemporaries, sheperding along the younger members of the party, and have a great deal of trust and respect for each other.

Edwin: There's little love lost between Edwin and Riysler. This is another case where it basically boils down to Edwin being Edwin, which in turn sorely tests Riysler's patience.

Haer'Dalis: You can definitely count on some extended philisophical discussions between Haer'Dalis and Riysler, who are at once so similar in outlook and yet so different. Certainly not on poor terms with each other.

Mazzy: Riysler admires Mazzy, and like everyone else who's lost a loved one recently, Riysler will offer what support he can, though he respects Mazzy as a grown woman, and will not be as paternalistic with her as he is with Aerie or Nalia.

Cernd: Riysler and Cernd get along quite well, on par with Riysler and Keldorn. They will have their disagreements, philisophically and theologically, but do respect each other for what the other is.

Edited by Tempest, 03 October 2007 - 08:27 PM.

#20 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 01:04 PM

Tossing out another concept that's been running through my head today:

Lessan
Lawful Evil Female Human Priestess of Helm
Tentative Stats: STR 17 DEX 9 CON 11 WIS 16 INT 10 CHA 12
Romancable: Yes
Overview:
Lessan is the result of my looking at the clergy alignment under the entry for Helm, seeing "LE", and going "Hmmmm..." She is a devoted priestess of the Watcher, but she is an unflinchingly ruthless and sometimes brutal individual. She's heard of Charname, and her reasons for offering to join are simple: she's after whatever power and wealth she can gain. However, despite her cold-hearted nature, she does recognize threats to all she holds dear when she sees them, and gladly remains at the party's side in the face of Irenicus and later the Five-she doesn't wish to see civilization destroyed. Do not make the mistake of thinking her remotely good in nature, however-she does have a strong prediliction towards tyranny, which she does have some experience with, having taken part in the invasion of Maztica. She is back in Athkatla after her superiors within the church began questioning her motives. This is what her quest concerns, but it would only be available to someone in a romance with her. Her romance would have a distinctly evil shading to it, and it would not be available to characters she decides would not be able to see the truth of things (i.e. good-aligned protagonists).
History:
Lessan's history is unremarkable, for the most part. She lived a typical childhood in the Dalelands, and decided her path lay in the priesthood of Helm, despite the poor reputation the faith has had in the wake of the Time of Troubles. Her superiors in the church lauded her unflinching devotion to law and her orders, even when doing so led to distasteful actions. At the age of nineteen, she voyaged to Maztica, and partook in the efforts of the church of Helm to subjugate the land. However, some of her superiors began to notice that she enjoyed the feeling of power, and that she genuinely did not care if people were hurt as a result of her actions, and recalled her to Athkatla for questioning and counsel. That she still enjoys Helm's favor is clear enough, as she retains all of her clerical abilities, but many wonder if she is truly the kind of woman they want representing the Vigilant One, particularly given the poor reputation of the priesthood.
Personality:
Lessan is an ambitious woman with a taste for power, leavened by a healthy dose of pragmatism. She does keep her word and honor any agreements she makes, but will always attempt to twist such things as far as she can for her own good. However, she is also a careful individual, and prefers to avoid overt acts that would lead to others accusing her of being a tyrant or evil person. She remains a loyal priestess of Helm, though she has a distinctly different interpretation of the Helmite tenets than, say, Ajantis or Anomen. She does not care if innocents are harmed in her pursuit of power, and has little to no pity or mercy. However, she also avoids outright cruelty, which she simply sees as gratuitous and uncivilized-she is content to leave her enemies beaten and broken. There is no use grinding your enemies into the dirt, she reasons. Doing so only tends to turn a potentially useful tool into something dangerous.
Relations with Bioware NPC's:
Lessan tries to avoid open conflicts with others, though even at the best of times, she can't hide her disdain for characters like Nalia and Aerie. She would get along well with Edwin in particular, and there would no doubt be some *very* interesting stuff going on between her and Anomen, though I'm not sure what nature and form they would take. Sir Anomen and Lessan would both be very faithful clergy of Helm, yet about as different as night and day.

Sample Banter (NOTE: I am assuming Faerun has hot air balloons, at least in places-they were far from unknown during the Renaissance in Europe):

Lessan: So, I understand you fancy yourself a paladin, Mazzy.

Mazzy: I do not 'fancy' myself anything. I am a servant of valor and righteousness.

Lessan: And you are. Yet you want to be one of those delusional armor-plated hot air balloons they call knights.

Mazzy: Why do you mock paladins so?

Lessan: Because I've seen them with my own eyes time and again. Funny thing is, some of them actually *believe* in the verbiage about chivalry, righteousness, and the like they always spout.

Mazzy: Then what do you believe about me?

Lessan: That you will stand by your beliefs to the end.