Photo

Different location for Edwin?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Trite

Trite
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 05:11 PM

I love the idea of an Edwin romance. One problem I've always had with him in BG2 is that the Shadow Theif Stronghold quest is required to recruit him. As I often play theives (the only class that is truly lacking NPCs, in my opinion.) that are hard-core evil doers, I like them to work for Bodhi. This is impossible with Bodhi's refusal to hire a theif. If there was some way for the Edwin romance to include a different starting location for Edwin, or a patch that disables Bodhi's refusual to hire a theif, I'm sure many people would become your gasping concubines for eternity.

#2 El Diablo

El Diablo
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 01:46 AM

it is possible to refuse to take the stronghold at the end of the meavar quest
and i believe there allraedy are some patches out there to solve the "bodhi does'nt want thieves" problem
the valen mod contians this feature

#3 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 05:20 AM

I love the idea of an Edwin romance. One problem I've always had with him in BG2 is that the Shadow Theif Stronghold quest is required to recruit him. As I often play theives (the only class that is truly lacking NPCs, in my opinion.) that are hard-core evil doers, I like them to work for Bodhi. This is impossible with Bodhi's refusal to hire a theif. If there was some way for the Edwin romance to include a different starting location for Edwin, or a patch that disables Bodhi's refusual to hire a theif, I'm sure many people would become your gasping concubines for eternity.

You can always do the Mae'Var quest first, pick up Edwin, and then work for Bodhi. As previously stated, if you refuse the stronghold I *think* you should be OK with that. Unfortunately Edwin's initial romance dialogues are connected to the Mae'Var quest, so it isn't really possible to shift his starting location at this stage. :)

#4 -jcompton-

-jcompton-

Posted 21 May 2003 - 08:09 AM

You can always do the Mae'Var quest first, pick up Edwin, and then work for Bodhi. As previously stated, if you refuse the
stronghold I *think* you should be OK with that.

It's nothing to do with the MaeVar quest, or whether you accept or decline the stronghold.

If you are a thief, Bodhi won't hire you, period.

#5 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 09:18 AM

You can always do the Mae'Var quest first, pick up Edwin, and then work for Bodhi. As previously stated, if you refuse the
stronghold I *think* you should be OK with that.

It's nothing to do with the MaeVar quest, or whether you accept or decline the stronghold.

If you are a thief, Bodhi won't hire you, period.

I guess the original poster must have got facts mixed up then. Oh well, that settles the issue - the thief should then have no problem doing the Mae'Var quest, since Bodhi won't hire her anyway.

#6 -jcompton-

-jcompton-

Posted 21 May 2003 - 12:41 PM

Right, but Trite is asking you to make it possible for her to

1. Be a thief
2. Be a thief who romances Edwin
3. Be a thief who romances Edwin and can work for Bodhi.

In other words, she's asking you to patch out Bodhi's refusal to hire a thief because she wants to play a thief that romances Edwin but does not want to have to work for the Shadow Thieves.

#7 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 01:03 PM

1. Be a thief

In other words, she's asking you to patch out Bodhi's refusal to hire a thief because she wants to play a thief that romances Edwin but does not want to have to work for the Shadow Thieves.

A thief can romance Edwin. As for the Bodhi thing - we will have to see if that can be arranged. Perhaps it can, but not by moving Edwin's starting location.

#8 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 11:00 AM

1. Be a thief

I guess it is yet another thing to add to the wishlist. Laufey - if you want this -it can be done easily, and I shall put it in the next test run for Edwin-and-Bodhi-loving thieves.

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

Nikolai Berdyaev - Christian Existentialist, Philosopher of Freedom.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#9 -jcompton-

-jcompton-

Posted 22 May 2003 - 11:29 AM

Now someone can explain why Edwin becoming secksorable should make Bodhi change her opinion about working with a thief.

#10 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 11:56 AM

Now someone can explain why Edwin becoming secksorable should make Bodhi change her opinion about working with a thief.

Why, simply because Edwin is the only man charming, handsome, and intelligent enough to convínce her to give CHARNAME a chance! :D Honestly, I'm disappointed, I thought you should have been able to guess that for yourself...

#11 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 11:58 AM

I guess it is yet another thing to add to the wishlist. Laufey - if you want this -it can be done easily, and I shall put it in the next test run for Edwin-and-Bodhi-loving thieves.

To me personally it doesn't really make a difference. :) However, it would be nice to satisfy Trite. Is it perhaps possible to make it an optional feature? Then the player can have it whichever way they prefer.

#12 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 12:28 PM

To me personally it doesn't really make a difference.  However, it would be nice to satisfy Trite. Is it perhaps possible to make it an optional feature? Then the player can have it whichever way they prefer.

I guess, although it will be easier to patch it without going into all these details. I still think having a ST stronghold while working for Bodhi is not very logical.

Trite - it is what you wanted, right? A stronghold? Because you can get Eddie to romance you without any fix, and still work for Bodhi ( I did with an elven mage-fighter thief).

On the other hand I maybe wrong, and Bodhi will refuse you simply for being a thief.

And jason, what was your point? First you ask if we can do it, when I answer - 'yes' - you are asking 'why'? Why, indeed, are you asking?

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#13 -jcompton-

-jcompton-

Posted 22 May 2003 - 12:47 PM

Honestly, I'm disappointed, I thought you should have been able to guess that for yourself...

Oh, I just wanted you to say it, that's all.

Dorotea:

On the other hand I maybe wrong, and Bodhi will refuse you simply for being a thief.

She rejects pureclass thieves, not THIEF_ALL, so that's why your multi made it through.

And jason, what was your point? First you ask if we can do it, when I answer - 'yes' - you are asking 'why'? Why, indeed, are you asking?

I wasn't asking, Trite was, but her request was not understood, so I thought I'd be helpful and translate.

Having done so, and hearing that you're considering doing it, I thought I'd point out that it's goofy.

#14 -jcompton-

-jcompton-

Posted 22 May 2003 - 12:52 PM

BODHI 2

~Global("BodhiAppear","GLOBAL",1)
Class(Player1,THIEF)
Global("BodhiMove","LOCALS",0)
PartyGoldGT(14999)~

That's the condition for Bodhi's rejection. Were it THIEF_ALL, presumably (if Bioware wrote the trigger properly) she'd reject anyone with any levels of thief at all, but I think they just wanted to exclude anyone who was a strict career thief.

#15 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 01:01 PM

Honestly, I'm disappointed, I thought you should have been able to guess that for yourself...

Oh, I just wanted you to say it, that's all.

I wasn't asking, Trite was, but her request was not understood, so I thought I'd be helpful and translate.

Having done so, and hearing that you're considering doing it, I thought I'd point out that it's goofy.

And how could I possibly resist your charming way with words! :D I will always be happy to explain the utter superiority that is Edwin to those who haven't yet realized the Truth for themselves.

As for the 'goofy' part - personally I feel that a thief who is running the Stronghold shouldn't be able to work for Bodhi. But I don't see why an independent thief, who has refused the Stronghold after the Mae'Var quest, couldn't do so. After all, she's recruiting plenty of Shadow Thieves, and then there is Yoshimo. If you have no clear ties to the Shadow Thieves, I don't think it's unreasonable at all.

#16 -jcompton-

-jcompton-

Posted 22 May 2003 - 01:23 PM

Well, a quick REPLACE_STATE_TRIGGER will make Bodhi act the way you want her to act, then.

#17 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 01:30 PM

Well, a quick REPLACE_STATE_TRIGGER will make Bodhi act the way you want her to act, then.

Thank you! No decisions have been made yet, but it is good to have the option. :)

#18 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 01:35 PM

Yes, I sort of though in the same direction. But Edwin's location has nothing to do with all this. Bodhi will refuse you if you are 'puritan' thief regardless of you having him in the party or doing/not doing MaeVar quest, so Trite's question was not valid to begin with.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#19 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 22 May 2003 - 02:07 PM

Why, simply because Edwin is the only man charming, handsome, and intelligent enough to convínce her to give CHARNAME a chance! :D Honestly, I'm disappointed, I thought you should have been able to guess that for yourself...

Lol, JC I am amazed you did not get the axioma yet :D

#20 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 03:57 PM

Lol, JC I am amazed you did not get the axioma yet

*ahem* in this particular case I suspect Laufey was simply having fun.

You know, using her sense of humor, irony, sarcasm ...

irony

\I"ron*y\, n.[L. ironia, Gr. ? dissimulation, fr. ? a dissembler in speech, fr. ? to speak; perh. akin to E. word: cf. F. ironie.] 1. Dissimulation; ignorance feigned for the purpose of confounding or provoking an antagonist.

2. A sort of humor, ridicule, or light sarcasm, which adopts a mode of speech the meaning of which is contrary to the literal sense of the words.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes