Searching for biffing help.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 02:31 AM

I am having a little slowdown on my Icewind Dale game and I read that biffing my overwrite files I could speed things up a little, but as I don't have anykind of knowledge how to do this, I am searcing help.
Now, I know that I can't modify the game after I have biffed, so I have now installed everything I want. And if not, I'll just reinstall everything later.

Now, I know that the biffing might help, but the advice was given that if the overwrite folder is big enough, I should biff, but mine is just about 32Mb's, but it has 4353 files in it, so the question comes, will it help?

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#2 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 04:23 AM

I am having a little slowdown on my Icewind Dale game and I read that biffing my overwrite files I could speed things up a little, but as I don't have anykind of knowledge how to do this, I am searcing help.
Now, I know that I can't modify the game after I have biffed, so I have now installed everything I want. And if not, I'll just reinstall everything later.

Now, I know that the biffing might help, but the advice was given that if the overwrite folder is big enough, I should biff, but mine is just about 32Mb's, but it has 4353 files in it, so the question comes, will it help?

Well, I'd suggest exhausting every other 'easy' option to try and fix things up before attempting a BIFF (like disabling virus scanner software, quitting background programs, etc.).

You could simply BIFF your entire override by copying a WeiDU.exe to your IWD folder, going into cmd, navigating to your IWD folder, and then typing
WeiDU --make-biff OVERRIDE
It should then be safe to move all your override files somewhere else (so that IWD no longer detects them).

Backup your IWD directory in case something funny happens.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#3 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 12:51 AM

:rolleyes: Thanks on showing me the ropes, but here is how I did it. Starting a WeiDU.exe .And after the first line, it exits so I just started the Weidu.exe a second time.
--game D:\IcewindDale
--make-biff Override
And it all worked out more than well. Now, the question comes, does the WeiDU have a code for the spacekey inside the directory, alas for example D:\Icewind Dale

#4 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 03:48 AM

:rolleyes: Thanks on showing me the ropes, but here is how I did it. Starting a WeiDU.exe .And after the first line, it exits so I just started the Weidu.exe a second time.

--game D:\IcewindDale
--make-biff Override
And it all worked out more than well. Now, the question comes, does the WeiDU have a code for the spacekey inside the directory, alas for example D:\Icewind Dale

Just put the path in quotations, "D:\Icewind Dale".

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#5 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 03:52 AM

:Bow: