Photo

What's your ultimate, completely legal, power party (BGII)?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Klorox

Klorox
  • 342 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 05:54 AM

By completely legal, I mean no mods, no XP cap removers, no illegal stuff,
nothing.

What's the most powerful protagonist, along with (up to) 5 official Bioware
NPCs?

Edited by Klorox, 10 December 2007 - 05:55 AM.

Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

Oh, squiggly line in my eye fluid. I see you lurking there on the periphery of my vision. But when I try to look at you, you scurry away. Are you shy, squiggly line? Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye? Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven.
? Stewie Griffin

#2 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 06:04 AM

Linjo (elven assassin)
Minsc
Anomen
Jaheira
Edwin
Imoen (various NPC's until Spellhold for quest sakes, and then I take along Yoshimo)

Four out of six make do in melee combat, and all four are capable of something else than pounding in heads (Minsc with ranger spells, Anomen with cleric spells, Jaheira with druid spells and Linjo with backstabbing, setting traps and other thief skills).

Two mages, one of them using sling and offensive spells (Edwin) and the other using defensive/disabling spells when not backstabbing the weaker enemies in a group.

With mods, the only thing I do different is exchanging Edwin with (sorceror) Xan.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#3 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 06:29 AM

Depends on playstyle :)

I tend to play big melee parties, so with the plain game I'd go as follows:
kensai CHARNAME
Korgan
Keldorn
Jaheira
Viconia/Anomen
Jan Jansen/Imoen

This way, I have three meat shields who are also highly competent warriors (one immune to everything, one can dispel everything in the plain game, once can disable all mages except liches), an uber-fast chopper, and minimal clerical/mage spell coverage to finish the game.
I might also want to swap CHARNAME for a (multi, not dual) fighter/thief, if I prefer to backstab critical foes rather than fast-chopping everybody.

the Jan Jansen -> Imoen transition is done once I get Imoen back. I don't do Yoshi -> Imoen because I prefer to have some basic mage spells even before Ch 4.
Viconia -> Anomen is suboptimal, but will be done if the Viconia/Keldorn conflict escalates (by the time this is required, Anomen will be a couple of quests from getting level 14 and Greater Restoration, which is all I really need a cleric for).

With mods, I can't make my mind up on the `perfect' party (given the ample choice of powerful weapons and/or NPCs who are buggy, silent, stupid, don't blend in, or are too overpowered even for me), but something I always do is that I use Swashbuckler->Mage for Imoen from Refinements, so I use her like most people do with kensai->mage, and as such carry a primary mage for mass destruction (Edwin, or a mod NPC).

Edited by the bigg, 10 December 2007 - 06:34 AM.

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#4 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 06:59 AM

A custom party will be more powerful, always - simply because of stats distribution.
A Fighter/Thief,
A Sorcerer,
A Fighter, dual-classed to Cleric,
and three Bercerkers or Barbarians should make it in my book. Perhaps an Undead Hunter, but a high-level But I like banters, romances, interjections, opinions, egos and theories, so I never quite tried that.

#5 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:05 AM

I usually go with
Main Character (Sorcerer or Cleric)
Jaheira
Minsc
Aerie
Anomen
Yoshi/Immy

I've made it through whatever they can throw at me.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#6 Tassadar88

Tassadar88

Templar in Flames

• 1302 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:18 AM

I often went with an elven/half elven fighter/mage for PC, then Minsc, Jaheira, Immy, Naila and Aerie. I like to blast what I can with spells and let Minsc with Jaheira take down the rest, with summons if need be :D
The Mind is its own place and in itself - can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven. -John Milton, Paradise lost

#7 Klorox

Klorox
  • 342 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:26 AM

A custom party will be more powerful, always - simply because of stats distribution.
A Fighter/Thief,
A Sorcerer,
A Fighter, dual-classed to Cleric,
and three Bercerkers or Barbarians should make it in my book. Perhaps an Undead Hunter, but a high-level But I like banters, romances, interjections, opinions, egos and theories, so I never quite tried that.

Of course a custom party would be more effective, but I'm asking you what your power party is using official Bioware NPCs. :)

Mine is as follows:

Berserker 13 > Mage protagonist
Jaheira
Anomen
Jan

I have two arcane & two divine spellcasters, 3 out of 4 make good tanks, and I can use what I believe are the best weapons in the game.

Four characters is my person preference. They're easier to control and concentrate on. You also advance in levels faster this way.

Oh, squiggly line in my eye fluid. I see you lurking there on the periphery of my vision. But when I try to look at you, you scurry away. Are you shy, squiggly line? Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye? Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven.
? Stewie Griffin

#8 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:09 AM

Oh, if we consider custom characters I'd go with something like

berserker -> cleric
Inquisitor
Fighter/thief
Kensai
stalker -> cleric
thief -> mage

notes:
the B->C duals at game start, because you get healing spells earlier and regain Rage earlier, while waiting (in the long run) will only give you a couple of HP, an extra rage, 1/2 attack, and no better THAC0... but he's a meat shield, not a damage dealer (we already have three people with GWW and two backstabbers)... and he needs to heal until the more offensive S -> C can build up his ranger skills and dual.
the S -> C duals at 13th (for the x3 backstab and extra attack). He can backstab with the Staff of the Ram, so the late dual isn't useless (although he's largely crippled until he regains the stalker skills, which is almost half game). Archer -> Cleric is crippled in the plain game because it can't put ***** in Slings anyway.
the F/T uses the offensive thief skills (Set Traps, Hide + Backstab, eventually Pick Pocket), whereas the T -> M duals as soon as it can get 100 points in Detect Illusions, Find Traps and Lockpick (and let the various enhancing items/potions/spells help with the few harder traps).

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#9 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:26 AM

Jaheira
Anomen
Jan

I have two arcane & two divine spellcasters, 3 out of 4 make good tanks, and I can use what I believe are the best weapons in the game.

I don't think that Jan is the best user of the Carsomyr!?

as soon as it can get 100 points in Detect Illusions, Find Traps and Lockpick (and let the various enhancing items/potions/spells help with the few harder traps).

But you don't need the Detect Illusions, as thiefs Find traps does it 100% already.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#10 Klorox

Klorox
  • 342 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:50 AM

Jaheira
Anomen
Jan

I don't think that Jan is the best user of the Carsomyr!?

I don't think Carsomyr is as great as most people. And I can't think of a member I'd delete in favor of Keldorn.

as soon as it can get 100 points in Detect Illusions, Find Traps and Lockpick (and let the various enhancing items/potions/spells help with the few harder traps).

But you don't need the Detect Illusions, as thiefs Find traps does it 100% already.

They're two different abilities using the same button. If you have 100% in F/R Traps, but 0% in Detect Illusions, you can have that button on all day but you'll never dispel invisibility or some mirror images.

? Stewie Griffin

#11 Nex Vesica

Nex Vesica
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:53 PM

Jan actually saved my party many a time with his rockin use of carsomyr.

#12 VIIIofSwords

VIIIofSwords

I like women treacherous and manipulative.

• 594 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:21 PM

Hmm, I've never really had any thoughts on what the ultimate party for my style of play would be. However, the toughest group I've ever managed to get through ToB included:

Dual-Class Ranger/Cleric
Minsc
Jaheira (quite frankly, I'm not too fond of her, but I can't deny that I find her the most tolerable of the BioWare clerics)
Yoshimo/Imoen (swapped one for the other in Spellhold)
Haer'Dalis
Keldorn/Sarevok (I do Keldorn's family quest right after Bodhi and let him leave with his family, because I can never bring myself to do otherwise)

Edited by VIIIofSwords, 12 December 2007 - 04:22 PM.

"What do you do when there is an evil that your justice cannot defeat? Do you continue as you are, and allow the evil to fester? Or do you embrace one evil to defeat an evil greater still?"

"I used to dislike the idea of an unfair universe. Then I got to thinking: what if we did deserve all the awful things that happened to us, and didn't deserve any of the good? Suddenly, I found myself taking comfort in the thought of an inherently hostile and unfair universe."

VIII of Swords - my general, anything-goes blog

#13 Argathor

Argathor
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:30 PM

My favourite:

Keldorn
Korgan
Jaheira
Valygar
Argathor (Sorc)
Edwin

A brutal no-nonsense party with loads of melee and spellcasting power. Thiefs? Bah! Priests? Hah!

#14 Gabrielle

Gabrielle

Do what thou wilt

• 1567 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:43 PM

I never had a so called "legal" party even when the game first came out. The console commands were already known so theres a cheat. Plus I didn't like the idea that the kick ass weapons I had gained in BG1 didn't appear in Jonnie's dungeon. I didn't part BG1 with some lame long sword and non-magical armor.
For all of your BG modding needs: Chosen of Mystra.

This is The End.

#15 Klorox

Klorox
  • 342 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 07:24 AM

I just finished ToB with an ass-kickin' party:

Berserker 13 > Mage protagonist (GM in Axes and Hammers, dual wielding)
Anomen (GM Flails, dual wielding)
Sarevok (GM in Greatswords and Halberds)
Imoen

It was overpowered when I un-nerfed the grandmastery, so I uninstalled that component.

since it was only 3 characters, I had maxed out my XP for Imoen, Anomen, and protagonist in Watcher's Keep.

? Stewie Griffin

#16 wonnimchunha

wonnimchunha
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:48 PM

Me Fighter/Theif, double wield either katana/longsword
Korgan, double wield axe and hammer
Anomen, double wield flail and hammer
Aerie (her use of wish and sequencers makes her seriously overpowered...but I hate her whining)
Jan/Imoen

:devil: If you could put mods into the equation :devil:
Me Ranger/Cleric
Solaufein
Valen

End of all enemies :new_thumbs:

#17 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:35 AM

What's the most powerful protagonist, along with (up to) 5 official Bioware
NPCs?

At which point. Protagonist would need to be either Cavalier or Half-Orc Berserker. Using Carsomyr, or dual-wielding Axes and Warhammers.
NPC 1: Either Keldorn or Korgan with the other probs. Or it could be Sarevok, that is if you have the Half-Orc Berserker dual-wielding Axes and Warhammers, and you dual Sarevok to a thief that can use all items.
NPC 2: Anomen, Jaheira or Cernd.
NPC 3: Viconia
NPC 4: Jan/Nalia/Sarevok
NPC 5: Yoshimo->/Jan/Imoen

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.