Spellhold Studios' Art Contest

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 04:12 PM

Welcome to the Fantasy and Science Fiction Art Contest!

What would be a better way to start the new year 2008 than with a dual-contest to get the creative juices going! By saying dual-contest, I really mean that we have two contests running at the same time - Kellen has opened a similar one in the Scribbles on the Wall. You are of course welcome to join either or both of the contests, as long as you read the following rules carefully!

There is a catch however - both contests have a theme that all entries should follow: Team Spirit! Think about it - what is Team Spirit, how could you depict or describe it? In what situations does it occur, what would lead into feeling strong Team Spirit? Get immersed, use your imagination and creativity, and remember that humor is not by any means forbidden. ;)

Time table

1st January
The contests open, time for entering begins!
31st January
Time for entering closes - this is the last day to submit your entries!
1st February
Voting by polls begins!
15th February
Voting polls close!
16th February
Winners are announced!

Rules
  • The theme of the contest is Team Spirit, and all entries should follow it.
  • Must be new and original piece of art.
  • No edits or photomanipulations.
  • Can be general fantasy or science fiction art, but can be also fanart.
  • If the piece is fanart, it must be of any fandoms represented in Spellhold Studios - Baldur's Gate, Oblivion or Neverwinter Nights. This is to help judging - if you choose a fandom that is more or less unknown, we might not understand everything represented in the picture, and thus not appreciate it as much as those who know the fandom.
  • You can submit up to 3 pieces or art.
  • Submitting will be done anonymously - do not post them yourself, but send them to Ilmatar via PM. She will post your piece(s) to the separate entry thread.
  • If you recognize or otherwise know the artist of some of the entries, do not reveal this to others. Posts that reveal the artists' identities will be deleted or edited without asking. Anonymity is important for the sake of being as unbiased as possible. The identities of the artists will be announced on 16th February when the winners are announced.
  • You must be registered to Spellhold Studios to participate (and vote).
Judging will be done with a poll, and everyone registered to Spellhold Studios can vote. Voting time will be 2 weeks, from 1st February to 15th February. Winners will be announced on 16th February. There will be 1-3 winners depending on how many participants the contest gathers.

Prizes

In addition to fame, glory and admiration, the winners will get a fiction story based on the winning piece of art. The winner chooses the author from a list of our talented volunteers, and the chosen one will get to work and create a story for you, based on your art.

The winner holding first place will get to choose first from the list, the second chooses second, and so on.

Here is the list of the authors:
  • Kellen
  • Jarno Mikkola
  • Rianess
  • KedorLao
  • quinlan
  • Tempest
If you have questions or comments about the contest, pleace state them in this thread! A separate one will be opened for the contest entries. Remember - do not post your entries yourself but send them to Ilmatar. Do not reveal the artists, either, but you can still comment, discuss and analyse the pieces freely. Have fun, and get to drawing!

Edited by Ilmatar, 01 February 2008 - 12:56 PM.

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#2 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:13 AM

Just want to give this a bump - seriously, people, lets see some action here! Even if it's only a "I'm planning on entering!" :D

I'd enter if I could still draw, but alas, my drawing skills have become rusty!

#3 Galsic

Galsic

Nominal Member

• 384 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:07 PM

I'm still in the brainstorming stage, so you probably shouldn't expect anything from me anytime soon ;) .
(I like parentheses.)

#4 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:08 PM

You've got time until the month changes in London. ;) But it's releaving to hear that people have at least noticed this contest. :lol:

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#5 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:26 PM

Depending largely on the availability of opposition for C&C3 online play, I might or might not cough something up for this... Heehee? *_*

#6 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:29 PM

Oooh you have the whole month, Weerie! You'll get something funky done for us. :)

#7 Azri

Azri
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:13 PM

Sounds like fun! hmm...a month...

#8 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:38 PM

Oooh you have the whole month, Weerie! You'll get something funky done for us. :)

Not to strain the point Ilmy, but that sounded, err how should I put this... misinterpretive? ^_^

(Edit Note: Yush I am guilty of doing that often :D )

Hm, team spirit...
Most BG characters seem able to rely on themselves more than others, but then again...

Edited by Solar's Harper, 04 January 2008 - 10:17 PM.

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#9 SpAE

SpAE

explodes into glitter when provoked

• 103 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 01:55 AM

Haha, party? We don't need no stinkin' team spirit! Too much XP sharing!

Good luck to everyone entering this :D

#10 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 03:27 AM

You telling me you aren't? ;)

#11 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 08:08 AM

Some Q&A from the Fiction contest that fits in this one as well.

Two more questions were sent in today.

Will participants be allowed to vote? Yes.

Are the participants allowed to vote for other stories but not their own? No. You are allowed to vote for whichever story you honestly think is best.

#12 SpAE

SpAE

• 103 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:57 AM

You telling me you aren't? ;)

Bah, undecided. (And even if I am, good luck to me? :blink: )

#13 Raide

Raide
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 09:03 PM

Question.

1. How do we submit the picture? If I have a DeviantArt account, can I submit it simultaneously with this contest's submission? Or may I only upload it for this contest? Via photobucket, or else?

2. I want to see sample works from the volunteering authors, but there is none on Fanfiction Library of Completed Works. May you give direction?

#14 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 09:28 PM

2. I want to see sample works from the volunteering authors, but there is none on Fanfiction Library of Completed Works. May you give direction?

If I may.

Kellen, quinlan, and Jarno all have a work mentioned in The Reference section for Ongoing Serials KedorLao, Kellen and Jarno also have works in the monthly Fanfiction Challenge (not to confuse with the contest). Rianess sole work that I could find was An Account from a Shadowmaster.

Also Kellen and Kael are the same person(Yeah I went through a name change). So under short stories (in your link of completed works) there are two other Kellen pieces.

I'll leave the first question to Ilmatar.

Also get a move on people. Just over a week and a half left. I'm waiting to see Ilmatar post up some entries.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#15 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:18 AM

Thank you Kellen, for the answer to the second question! :)

1. How do we submit the picture? If I have a DeviantArt account, can I submit it simultaneously with this contest's submission? Or may I only upload it for this contest? Via photobucket, or else?

You may post it to dA as well, that is more or less your business. I would upload it only when the voting is over - that is on Feb 15th so all entries would remain anonymous for real until the announcement of winners. But that's really your business. :D So what you do here in SHS is that you send me a Private Message and attach (or link) the piece in the PM. I will then post it in the entry topic. That was all explained above - just as long as you PM the piece or the link to it to me, and not post it on your own. :)

Thank you for the interest, Raide! :cheers: Do ask if something is still unclear.

Generally I would like to remind everybody that there is only 10 days left in the entry time, so let me hear something! Let me see aaaart! Think of Team Spirit and start doodling!

#16 Isilven

Isilven

DANNY TREJO, DUKE OF THE WESTERN LOWLANDS

• 1236 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 01:48 PM

Hah, I JUST found out about this today. I'll have to hurry ^_^

hlyeo.jpg

Inkosazana

"You just want them to be your panties, you dirty little girl!" -Ilmatar and Kellen
"Endure. In enduring, grow strong." -The Third Circle of Zerthimon

#17 Kellen

Kellen

• 7092 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:19 PM

As was pointed out to me by Jarno(Many thanks, mate), the Entries for the SHS Fanfiction Challenges thread, if you're looking for entries in the Fanfic Challenge.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

#18 SpAE

SpAE

• 103 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 02:47 AM

Also get a move on people. Just over a week and a half left. I'm waiting to see Ilmatar post up some entries.

Sir, we are artists. You writers may work hard and late into the night and dilligently - and *constantly*, from looking at the Fanfic thread - whip up wonderful literary masterpieces for us to enjoy. But you're writers.

Artists lay back, put on a French accent, have a lot of sex and smoke anything that can be burned until the very last day, then we swear a bit, put on a really heavy French accent, and try to redefine art in three hours and a musk-scented haze.
at least, that's why I signed up to be one, pleasetellmetheadddidn'tlie. :(

But seriously, yeah, really looking forward to more entries to gaze admiringly upon. (Holy cow, only 10 days left?)

Isilven - oops? :D Good luck!

#19 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 02:55 AM

Artists lay back, put on a French accent, have a lot of sex and smoke anything that can be burned until the very last day, then we swear a bit, put on a really heavy French accent, and try to redefine art in three hours and a musk-scented haze.

Yes, that's EXACTLY what we artists do all day long. :whistling:

But seriously, yeah, really looking forward to more entries to gaze admiringly upon. (Holy cow, only 10 days left?)

Make that nine.

#20 Kellen

Kellen

• 7092 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 05:02 AM

Sir, we are artists. You writers may work hard and late into the night and dilligently - and *constantly*, from looking at the Fanfic thread - whip up wonderful literary masterpieces for us to enjoy. But you're writers.

I think you should say the writers. I've yet to start an entry myself. Shh.