How fast do the characters move?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Klorox

Klorox
  • 342 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:45 AM

Remind me about this game:

Do they move at the speed of BGI or BGII characters?

TIA
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

Oh, squiggly line in my eye fluid. I see you lurking there on the periphery of my vision. But when I try to look at you, you scurry away. Are you shy, squiggly line? Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye? Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven.
? Stewie Griffin

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:00 AM

I believe that my answer still stands except the BGConfig.exe is Config.exe . But what exactly are you looking out for, and what's the difference between BG1 and BG2?

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 23 January 2008 - 08:03 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 Klorox

Klorox
  • 342 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:32 AM

I believe that my answer still stands except the BgConfig.exe is IDConfig.exe . But what exactly are you looking out for, and what's the difference between BG1 and BG2?

I'm not looking for a number or anything. Just a rough idea.

In BGI, characters move too slow for my taste. BGII they move nice and swift.

I'm hoping IWDI is like BGII.

Oh, squiggly line in my eye fluid. I see you lurking there on the periphery of my vision. But when I try to look at you, you scurry away. Are you shy, squiggly line? Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye? Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven.
? Stewie Griffin

#4 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:24 AM

I'm not looking for a number or anything. Just a rough idea.

Well, as this is based on experience, I cannot say, what makes you think that in BG1 they move in different speed than in BG2, as basically they should move at the same rate as the rules dictate this. Of course there might have been a difference cause of the different settings in the configurations. Like the Cache size(in bg1 140Mb/bg2 250Mb for multiplayer) or the path seach node number(in BG1 4000/BG2 32000) but they have the same FPS count 30.
Or it has to do with the speed adjustment, as if the game becomes unstable cause the processor can't handel all the calculations(no worries on this department anymore) so it reduced the FPS count.

But the main thing is, these can all be adjusted manually from the Config.exe's especially as today's computers are 4 to 32(-1000) times faster than those of the past.
Ps, I adjusted the exe names for they were incorrect, a slightly.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 23 January 2008 - 08:25 AM.

#5 Klorox

Klorox
  • 342 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:45 AM

Well, I don't know much about cache size or whatever dictating the walking speeds, but with a clean install of both BGI and BGII, it's quite evident in my experience that the characters move much slower in BGI.

This is without tutu or any mods, btw.

? Stewie Griffin

#6 BubbleTrouble

BubbleTrouble
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:27 PM

The truth is they are kinda slower in BG1, I noticed that too, but they move just ok in IWD.

#7 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:36 PM

My party uses the boots of Speed in IWD:HoW(and in Chapter 1, IWD NPC), and they move just fine: it's BG2 "Boots of Speed" speed, I guess. And normal BG2 speed without the boots.

#8 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 01:16 PM

The difference can also be because the animation files are made with a different index in mind, so that BGI take longer, because they show smaller increments of change(not from a pixel to pixel, but also between them). And in theory at least the animations in IwD should be tuned to exactly to same as BGII, as it uses some of the same files.

As a side note, what's the verdict Klorox, is it alike BGI, or BGII.

#9 Klorox

Klorox
  • 342 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:51 AM

The difference can also be because the animation files are made with a different index in mind, so that BGI take longer, because they show smaller increments of change(not from a pixel to pixel, but also between them). And in theory at least the animations in IwD should be tuned to exactly to same as BGII, as it uses some of the same files.

As a side note, what's the verdict Klorox, is it alike BGI, or BGII.

It's like BGII. But I only tried with HoW and TotLM installed.

? Stewie Griffin