Photo

Please evaluate my new party:

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Klorox

Klorox
  • 342 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:37 PM

Hi everybody. I've decided to give another go at IWD1, HoW, TotLM after a few years away from it. I've discovered that I really enjoy 4 person parties the best, as they level up a bit faster than full ones while not taking away from the challenge of the game, but most importantly, it's just easier for me to keep track of these guys!

Character 1: CG Gnome Fighter/Thief
He'll be wearing heavy armor most of the time (and will remove it to disarm traps). I'm using this guy as a tank.

Character 2: LN Half-Elf Fighter/Mage/Cleric
He'll be wearing heavy armor for the early stages of the game, at least until I feel like he has some good arcane spells to contribute to the party. After that, I'm hoping for some Elven Chain so that he'll still be decent as a tank.

Character 3: NE Half-Elf Bard
I am in love with their songs! He will act as an archer before level 11, and also as my mage for the early stages of the game. I'm hoping for another suit of Elven Chain for this guy, so I know I'm kinda pushing my luck there (I don't like reloading random treasures).

Character 4: N Fighter/Druid type. I'm not sure if I should multiclass or dualclass this one. I can see advantages to both:

F/D multiclass:

All abilities the whole game
30/30 maximum level
Better THAC0
No "weak" period of development

F9>D dualclass

***** in Scimitar
More HP
***** in Scimitar

Seriously though, which is a better character? Please keep in mind that I'll be playing with a 4 character party, so my levels will jump up a bit faster than a 6 man party.

Any suggestions on weapon proficiencies is greatly appreciated, as are comments about the party.

TIA!
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

Oh, squiggly line in my eye fluid. I see you lurking there on the periphery of my vision. But when I try to look at you, you scurry away. Are you shy, squiggly line? Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye? Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven.
? Stewie Griffin

#2 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:42 PM

Nevermind.

Edited by Choo Choo, 23 January 2008 - 10:10 PM.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#3 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:52 PM

I've decided to give another go at IWD1, HoW, TotLM ...

By the looks of this, Choo Choo is talking about IwD2, not IwD1, so...

It depends on what you are looking for, a fighter, or a clerical char that can heal the party, and kill the enemy. If it's the second I would go and choose the Dual class, but from which level, don't really know. Maybe from Level 2 already, as he/she can tank(high defence, not so much of offence) at the start and his/her spells kill at the end. As you have got to remember, that without sufficient classes, the offensive spells are but farts at the enemy.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 23 January 2008 - 10:05 PM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#4 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 10:10 PM

Ooops, missed that! Sorry. I blame the fact that it was 4:45AM. :)

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#5 Klorox

Klorox
  • 342 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:40 AM

Thanks guys. Ideally, I'd like my F/D to be able to fill both roles: fighter when needed, and a great spellcaster. If I go dual class, I'll probably dual at Fighter level 9.

Oh, squiggly line in my eye fluid. I see you lurking there on the periphery of my vision. But when I try to look at you, you scurry away. Are you shy, squiggly line? Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye? Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven.
? Stewie Griffin

#6 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:48 AM

... waiting a few months and playing IWD NPC is a good idea, too. But then, you can always play the game twice, so. :)

#7 Klorox

Klorox
  • 342 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:54 AM

... waiting a few months and playing IWD NPC is a good idea, too. But then, you can always play the game twice, so. :)

Oh yeah! Anything to add even more flavor to this game is great, and I'll definitely give IWDNPC a shot.

Anyway, what do y'all think of the actual party itself? Is it balanced and powerful enough to handle IWD/HoW/TotLM?

? Stewie Griffin

#8 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:11 AM

With heavy armor in the beginning, yes, definitely.

#9 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:44 AM

Here comes my commentary.
Over all, you might need need some high damage dealers, but overall your group will grow strong, that's eventually. There are at least one for a bard, and one for multiclass Elven Chains so you'll do well, but that's only after the Severed Hand, in the dwarf halls or later.

Character 1: CG Gnome Fighter/Thief
He'll be wearing heavy armor most of the time (and will remove it to disarm traps). I'm using this guy as a tank.

With the other fighter, he can do well, but you'll have to watch out for taking too many monster at once, as your casters can't effectivelly kill everything that comes their way.

Character 2: LN Half-Elf Fighter/Mage/Cleric
He'll be wearing heavy armor for the early stages of the game, at least until I feel like he has some good arcane spells to contribute to the party. After that, I'm hoping for some Elven Chain so that he'll still be decent as a tank.

I would go without the fighter/ class for better spell levels, but then again you can use the potitions and other magic items to get the same effects, as I always have a horde of them at the end of the game as I never use them.

Character 3: NE Half-Elf Bard
I am in love with their songs! He will act as an archer before level 11, and also as my mage for the early stages of the game. I'm hoping for another suit of Elven Chain for this guy, so I know I'm kinda pushing my luck there (I don't like reloading random treasures).

I hate bards, so...
Of course he get's the regenerating bard song, but that's very late.

C4: (TN) F->D All ready commented. Although I can see the advantages of why to make 9th level fighter and then dual. Max hp etc.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 24 January 2008 - 06:45 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.