• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 12:05 AM

1. Are you looking for original art, photoshopped art or a portrait edit?

Just an edit, please. I would like for the eyes, now purple, to be changed to an ice blue if possible.

9. Should the artist post the portrait here, or PM or email it to you?

A PM would be fine.

10. Any deadlines?

None set but something in the sooner range would be nice. A few weeks?

11. What game and what mod is this for?

It's for a BG2 mod.

12. Anything else you'd like to mention?

If possible, could the artist please package it as a small, medium, and large sized bmp files?

Thank you!!

Attached File  Lasavin2H.bmp   205.02K   284 downloads

Edited by theacefes, 10 February 2008 - 12:06 AM.

DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#2 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:11 AM

You had better check with Plasmocat before you edit her work. Also is the NPC not going to appear in CA? This picture and his soundset were made for that NPC because he was to appear in CA. He was supposed to be an add on NPC but nothing has been posted by his author in the CA work area since August. If so, please let one of the CA members know so we can move him out of the CA workrooms. Thank you.

Edited by leahnkain, 12 February 2008 - 12:18 AM.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#3 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 02:09 PM

You had better check with Plasmocat before you edit her work. Also is Lasavin Verdeth not going to appear in CA? This picture and his soundset were made for that NPC because he was to appear in CA. He was supposed to be an add on NPC but nothing has been posted by his author(Noctalys) in the CA work area since August. If so, please let one of the CA members know so we can move him out of the CA workrooms. Thank you.

I'm under instructions from the author of the mod to post the edit request as she was unable to at the time and as the coder of the mod, I am attempting to get into production mode by having an up to date portrait ready. As far as I know the author dealt with the admin on the going ons of her mod and its standing with CA, so you'll have to ask the admin for more details regarding that, should you need them.

So, the edits are not mine and I'm sure the author of the mod will be able to provide more details about the portrait and why it is being edited, should you be interested.

Edited by theacefes, 11 February 2008 - 02:12 PM.

DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#4 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:10 PM

The author has PM'ed me and has contacted Plasmocat. Liam will tell you that people do not like their original portraits edited without their premission. I think there should be some notice about contacted the original artist and getting their premission first before posting a request here.
As for the NPC appearing elsewhere, I didn't know until yesterday when I was PM'ed.
The author had Plasmocat make her a custom picture for CA, the soundset is custom as well. Contacting the admin means nothing to the people who provided the picture and soundset. You should show some respect and make some effort to contact them first. If she forgot who she asked to make the custom picture, then she should have contacted the CA team and we could have helped her out.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#5 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:41 PM

The author has PM'ed me and has contacted Plasmocat. Liam will tell you that people do not like their original portraits edited without their premission. I think there should be some notice about contacted the original artist and getting their premission first before posting a request here.
As for the NPC appearing elsewhere, I didn't know until yesterday when I was PM'ed.
The author had Plasmocat make her a custom picture for CA, the soundset is custom as well. Contacting the admin means nothing to the people who provided the picture and soundset. You should show some respect and make some effort to contact them first. If she forgot who she asked to make the custom picture, then she should have contacted the CA team and we could have helped her out.

I'm just an observer here, but it's not entirely clear to me that this line of discussion is relevant to the topic of the thread.

Additionally, speaking as an aspiring engineer, the idea that, after having someone make something for you to your specifications, that person subsequently has veto power over any future modifications to fit your specifications if they change, seems rather bizarre - by this standard virtually every maintenance programmer on the planet owes someone an apology. I would agree that courtesy dictates giving the original author, if they're around and active, a chance to perform the modifications if they're interested, but extending it this far or treating it like an ironclad rule seems excessive. I can't even imagine objecting to someone, say, installing an extra pressure tap on one of the M06CA catalyst mounts, without cracking up.

[EDIT]Rereading this thread, I notice that you mention the NPC and author by name. I don't suppose it would have been prudent to ask the author before effectively publicly announcing the NPC for her?

Edited by Azkyroth, 11 February 2008 - 11:44 PM.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#6 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:58 PM

So Azkyroth what you are saying is there is no problem to edit an original picture for an NPC without asking the original artist premission? You are also saying that there is no problem to use another modding teams time to make pictures and soundsets, only to use the picture and soundset elsewhere? Honestly as staff shouldn't you show a little more respect to the modding teams? Nobody was informed until yesterday that the NPC was going to be made for BG. I know Plasmocat well and she doesn't like her work edited, especially without her permission.(She will always happily edit her own work when asked.) As for the CA team we would hope in the future people can contact us before getting someone else to post a request on their behalf. We would have no problem moving the NPC out of the CA workrooms, contacting Liam on her behalf and making sure it was OK with Plasmo to edit her work and for the voice actor to be featured elsewhere instead of CA. We would happily help her get set up if this is what she wants.

Edited by leahnkain, 12 February 2008 - 12:09 AM.

#7 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 12:11 AM

So Azkyroth what you are saying is there is no problem to edit an original picture for an NPC without asking the original artist premission? You are also saying that there is no problem to use another modding teams time to make pictures and soundsets, only to use the picture and soundset elsewhere? Honestly as staff shouldn't you show a little more respect to the modding teams? Nobody was informed until yesterday that the NPC was going to be made for BG. I know Plasmocat well and she doesn't like her work edited, especially without her permission. As for the CA team we would hope in the future people can contact us before getting someone else to post a request. We would have no problem moving the NPC out of the CA workrooms, contacting Liam on her behalf and making sure it was OK with Plasmo to edit her work and for the voice actor to be featured elsewhere instead of CA.

I don't personally see why it's as much of an issue as you've decided to make of it, and this is consistent with my understanding of "respect," particularly as it applies to any work I might do FOR someone else.

Again, I don't consider this a particularly relevant discussion for this thread. If it continues someone with access should probably split it. Also, I think it would be appropriate if the author does not wish it to be publicized, and incumbent upon you given your stated objections, to remove the NPC name from your public post. I'll leave that bit for the author and/or moderators to sort out, though.

Edited by Azkyroth, 12 February 2008 - 12:14 AM.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#8 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 12 February 2008 - 12:21 AM

I edited the post, removing the name and author. She really should have contacted us first before getting someone else to post on her behalf. She also should have told us before hand she was planning to make the NPC for BG.

#9 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:27 AM

It probably would have been best to contact Plasmocat, as she's rather sensitive about where and how her artwork is used. Having spoken to the author of the mod, this was a bit of a mistake, and they didn't want to offend anyone--they have also sent Plasmocat a PM explaining the situation.

In general, keeping people informed of what's going on is a good thing, especially in larger projects with more than one or two people involved. Otherwise, hurt feelings and confusion can arise, and these are never helpful.

I think this situation has been resolved, so hopefully nothing negative will come from it. If anyone has any objections, please bring them up with myself and we can discuss it via PM. :)

#10 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:29 AM

Problem solved, thanks Liam.