Photo

really good idea

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 worm82075

worm82075
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:07 PM

I have an idea for an Elder Scrolls site, where you could go to place a classified ad and you wouldn't have to be a member to post it. Ads like, work wanted, modder wanted, model wanted etc,etc... Or you could just place your resume there and see who bites.

Also it could have a very extensive list of links to everywhere in the community. And up to date statistics on all those sites, like how many mods they host, the current poll, the latest news headline, how many members they have, how many posts they have etc,etc...

Oh, yeah and a top 5 list ranking all the sites by their different statistics.

I think it would be cool if someone made a site like that.
Posted Image

#2 Scipio

Scipio

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

• 1790 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:20 AM

I have an idea for an Elder Scrolls site...
I think it would be cool if someone made a site like that.

I may have some time on my hands in the near future. I'm going into hospital on Monday and may be compelled to neglect my normal, paying work for some time afterwards.

It could be quite fun to build the type of site you mentioned.

Since it couldn't take up too much of my time and I wouldn't be earning anything from the work except the appreciation or outrage of various people in the larger modding community, it would have to be a fairly simple site. It's unlikely that it would have to be a very large site with a gigantic database, so I see something a like a database-driven site running ASP (not ASP.Net or PHP, which become more complicated for an old ASP hack like me) using an Access database (not SQL, which costs extra money to host).

We would presumably need the co-operation of all the modding sites if we want to include their stats, etc. We would do this by letting them input data to the database. They would need some sort of password-protected login so that outsiders couldn't tamper with the stats. It is most unlikely that we could set up automatic feeds of such data from sites that are beyond our control. It may be that our webmaster -- you? -- would need to nag other sites for this info.

I could host the site at no charge through my bulk-hosting arrangement with one of the ISPs in South Africa, which I set up for the cheaper hosting of my commercial clients. Loading speeds from South Africa would not be significantly slower than we would get from a server farm in the UK, say, or a big American ISP (and as mentioned the hosting would be free).

We could even get around the cost of registering and maintaining a domain if I were to set up the site as an UNRELATED extension of my business site. It would then have a URL in the form of www.webweavers.co.za/modding (for example).

For an example of just such an unrelated site which is tagged onto my business site, go to my personal idiotic site at www.webweavers.co.za/tfif

If you'd like to pursue the idea further, I shall leave it to you to sound out the modding community in more depth to see what sort of reception this proposed site would get. You'd also need to prepare a more detailed brief on what the site should contain and what it should do.

You can reply to this post here or send me a PM. I see there hasn't been a wild response on this forum so far!

Ah... and why would I consider doing this? As payback. I've taken so much free pleasure from mods that I'd like to help their authors become better known, better paid, or whatever.
I did battle with monsters, and they became me, and when I gazed into the abyss, the abyss looked away shyly.
See, it helps not to believe all the stuff that philosophers spout.

#3 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:26 AM

I'm quite sure we'd be happy to offer hosting as well if this idea goes ahead, either using a parked domain or a subdomain ie http://site.spellholdstudios.net. :)

#4 Scipio

Scipio

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

• 1790 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:33 AM

I'm quite sure we'd be happy to offer hosting as well if this idea goes ahead, either using a parked domain or a subdomain ie http://site.spellholdstudios.net. :)

That would be much better -- having such a site (or site extension) at a suitable location which is already known in the modding community.

** Don't you and worm82075 think it would be better to move this string again? Wouldn't it fit better in one of the modding forums?
I did battle with monsters, and they became me, and when I gazed into the abyss, the abyss looked away shyly.
See, it helps not to believe all the stuff that philosophers spout.

#5 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:51 AM

Moved to Oblivion Modding Discussion, since it involves mod websites for Oblivion. :)

Keep me posted on how the idea progresses. What do other people think? It'd be great to get some more opinions!

#6 worm82075

worm82075
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:10 AM

community response is off the scale and because of that i have revised our mission statement more thoroughly to describe the concept and have just taken on a partner, Stormraven, and he is a professional web developer. Expect to see this site soon, especially since i started building it 6 days ago. check out our MS:
Hello all, my name is Jeremy, but please, call me Worm. This is my site and I hope you enjoy it. I would like to share some of my thoughts with you now about where I see us as a community heading and how I would like to help shape that journey.

I think of The Elder Scrolls Community as a universe in and of itself. The individual TES sites and their authors are the stars and worlds of that universe. The world wide web is the light years of empty space between those worlds and The Wormhole is a short cut through the void connecting those distant worlds and mixing the otherwise isolated inhabitants of an ever expanding universe.

Many people predicted a sharp dencline in the interest expressed in this series, but statistics show that 1000+ new faces enter our community everyday. It is up to us as senior members of this community to welcome and teach those that are new to TES modding. In this way, much needed new blood can be added to the ever dwindling pool of available modders. It won't be long before the activity on the two main forums explodes with the next release of TES. It is quite possible that this will be a serious problem for everyone that uses those sites.We are seriously over crowded in those places and seriously underpopulated throughout the rest of the community.In my travels throughout this universe I have encountered many worlds, most of them dieing from lack of support. Many good mods and great sites have starved and been all but abandoned by the wayside to die a slow and painful death at the hands of poor resource management. It is my wish to proliferate the organization of growth and eventual evolution of the modding phenomenon in which we are all participating. We must act now to ensure a long and fruitful existence for all that is TES.

I give you TES Modders Community College. A revolutionary site of my own design that I am calling a "Dorm Room Style Forum". Each eligible member will receive their own room(forum), fully self moderated and open to invitation only. Residents will also receive a globally moderated public room(classroom) upon request.
This will be a highly moderated site with an in depth lesson plan for beginners , organizational support for aspiring teams, and long term informational and promotional Support for teams that move on to their own sites.
A carefully thought out ranking system will be implemented here to ensure that resources are not wasted on the not so serious and is redirected efficiently to benefit our students and resident modders alike.
~Ranking System~ 2-21-08
Novice - 0-19 - If you have no prior experience modding you must start here. Novices an Apprentices will enjoy hassle free interaction with higher level members (ie;no question is a stupid one at these ranks).
Apprentice - 20-54 - By the time you reach 54 posts you should have a firm grasp on your chosen area of modding.
Journeyman - 55-104 - Probably the toughest rank. All higher ranking members are no longer required to take it easy on you and you will have very few perks.
Expert - 105-169 - Once you reach this rank you will be eligible ( based on your overall contributions) to move on to one of three ranks depending on what you choose to do.
1 - Resident - A fully unrestricted and free form modder, with or without team ambitions.
2 - Junior Moderator - The first step to becoming a staff member
3 - VIP - a special class of members that are users/moderators
Should you choose to take none of the above positions you may continue to be a freestyle tutor and your ranks will progress as follows:
Master - 170-299
Elite - 300-499
Legend - 500-999
Icon - 1000+

Resident - this rank is the most free to do as you please position here. Residents are encouraged to share their knowledge with  the low ranking members, but are not required to. Any modder with a released mod ranking higher than five is automatically eligible for this position.
VIP -  This rank is for those that do not wish to mod or officially join the staff, but have a moderate amount of knowledge to share and are interested in assisting the school and it's residents with play testing, research, promotion and publishing of mods. Anyone that can provide a link to a list of posts that shows exemplary contribution and desire to help others to learn, will automatically be eligible for this position. All VIPs will have their own room.
Junior Moderator - this position is at the bottom of the ladder for staff members. Your power here is limited to moderation of reported files.
Global Moderator - this position affords you to moderate all public forums with powers falling just short of banning members. All staff members with a rank equal or greater will have their own room.
Senior Moderator - Full moderator rights in all public and private spaces as well as the ability to ban members.
Administrative Moderator - Full administrator with all the power that entails, with the exception of changing network settings and style code.
Administrator - Founder status Only I and my partner Robert aka Stormraven possess this rank, but any Administrative Moderator that remains diligent to this site and it's cause for six months or more will be offered founder status.

I firmly believe that this will provide the entire community with more modders and better mod making time tables.

We hereby do solemnly swear to always aid in the successful transformation of newbie to modder and the creation and wide, even distribution of content created  by and for The Elder Scrolls Community. We and any who join us will provide;
1 - An always free to post Community BulletinBoard(no membership required)
2 - An extensive list of community links w/up to date statistical info,available to all as well as a page for each site with in depth house and user reviews
3 - A friendly, hands on learning environment for those just learning and those seeking to extend their skills by collaborating with others.
3 - A comprehensive research and promotional publishing support service to all who seek it.(details to come)
4 - Housing for all staff and eligible members
5 - An unbiased and open minded organization dedicated to the growth and support of the entire community.

This is our mission statement and while it may change slightly in the future the overall goal will remain the same, to unify our community and prevent good members from being left out in the cold to suffer and eventually give up on their dreams to make worlds in The Elder Scrolls universe.

Thank you for your time and if you like my idea's and are currently without a home, consider joining me. Formation of a mod team is also in my plans so there are many roles to fill here, all of them productive to our cause. Long Live TES Community

Respectfully,

Jeremy Burkett aka Worm
Posted Image