Stucked in the temple of Bhaal after killing Sarevok

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#121 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:07 AM

How are you checking the creature after all that installs? In mine, the BGMIminhp1 was in his inventory. Even if he had 25 of those it wouldn't matter because they don't do anything. He isn't going to crash the game. Now he has the amulet BGMINHP1 either by CRE edit or a TP2 revision. I say we have succeeded, somehow.
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#122 Taimon

Taimon
  • 387 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:21 PM

How are you checking the creature after all that installs?

Well, sometimes I use Near Infinity but most of the time I only take a quick look at it with a hex editor.

Even if he had 25 of those it wouldn't matter because they don't do anything. He isn't going to crash the game.

Like I already said, I totaly agree with this. I was just curious about how something like BGMIminhp1 can happen, because the (original) tp2 uses valid code and it should not lead to such an error. That's why I tried so hard to reproduce this.

#123 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 12:00 AM

Thanks for all your investigations, Taimon :new_thumbs: I got a headache from it. From what it looked like, the DW#SARR4 was the one overriding the BGMINHP1 from BGT as it was invalid category. The other miscoded BGMIminhp1 that just said give it to him, which seems to go in the inventory. I looked at my old one and he did not get any effective MINHP1 item. erebusant's versions in his posted rar are a bit different than what I initially got. Maybe a weidu version?

If you look at my posted CRE, the DWSARR4 item replaced and shot out the BGMINHP1 and then added one (BGMIminhp1via TP2 to inventory). You should be getting that in your tests because that is how it was coded remember? The DW#SARR was copied to amulet and should have been belt. Shown earlier in the original TP2.

Edited by Hoppy, 11 May 2008 - 12:06 AM.

?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#124 Taimon

Taimon
  • 387 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 03:29 AM

I guess, we should drop this here. The underlying problem really is the creation of that BGMIminhp1 (since the minhp1 is supposed to overwrite MAGE06 and not end up in the middle of the BGMINHP1 string), which leaves sarevok without a minhp item. (It doesn't matter that BGMINHP1 get's pushed in the inventory, as long as sarevok still has another minhp item equipped.)

#125 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:38 AM

Right on, it is quite perplexing and you are very talented at the WEIDU coding. I have not invested a lot of time on understanding WEIDU, but I will eventually. I am just glad we all got together and did it. Power in numbers? I wasn't even there yet in my game but wanted a solution. Hope you can get to your game and enjoy it without all this tech stuff for a bit. :cheers:

- King Diamond

#126 Taimon

Taimon
  • 387 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:58 AM

Hope you can get to your game and enjoy it without all this tech stuff for a bit. :cheers:

You know, this is actually a real problem here. :)
When you start doing those tech things, you somehow forget about playing the game.

Quick summary of erebusant's tp2 fix for anyone who is still following this thread:
- removed the MAGE06 -> minhp1 replacement
- changed the item slot for dw#sarr4 from amulet to belt

#127 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:36 PM

I've got Erebusants files but not sure what to do with the text snippet - do I paste that into the SCS tp2 as well?

Just to make sure:
1)pre Sarevo (do you have to take off the pre and put in override before install?)
2)post Sarevo (do you take off the post and put in override after SCS?)
3)Sarevo as he should be post(take off beginning and put in override after #2?)
4)Sarevo.txt (do you copy this to somewhere in the tp2 before install?)

Or are these files for comparison only. Because I believe Hoppy's fix works as well if I have to put that in. Either one as long as it works. :lol:

#128 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 05:07 AM

I've got Erebusants files but not sure what to do with the text snippet - do I paste that into the SCS tp2 as well?

Just to make sure:
1)pre Sarevo (do you have to take off the pre and put in override before install?)
2)post Sarevo (do you take off the post and put in override after SCS?)
3)Sarevo as he should be post(take off beginning and put in override after #2?)
4)Sarevo.txt (do you copy this to somewhere in the tp2 before install?)

Or are these files for comparison only. Because I believe Hoppy's fix works as well if I have to put that in. Either one as long as it works. :lol:

Those are for comparison only.

It takes a village...

#129 Taimon

Taimon
  • 387 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 03:22 PM

I was finally able to solve this case.
To reproduce this, I also needed to install the "Improved Durlag's Tower" component.
And to be more specific: I needed to install them in one go.
(It does not happen, when you first install durlag's tower, quit weidu and then install the improved final battle.)

We must have been blind or something because the error is right here:
READ_LONG 0x2bc ~%itemoffset%~
	WRITE_ASCII (~%itemoffset%~+0x50) ~minhp1~ #8 // give him the min-hp ring
If, by any chance, itemoffset was already set in some previous action, this will not work as intended.
The WRITE will use the previous value. (And the READ will go into a variable like %[previous value]%.)
So the READ_LONG should rather look like this
READ_LONG 0x2bc ~itemoffset~
or this
READ_LONG 0x2bc itemoffset
Interestingly, this is not at all related to BGT.

There are more instances of this problem in setup-scs.tp2, here is the diff:
--- setup-scs.tp2
+++ setup-scs.tp2.fix
@@ -5936,7 +5936,7 @@
		 ADD_CRE_ITEM ~%tutu_var%bow01~ #0 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~WEAPON2~ EQUIP TWOHANDED
		 WRITE_EVALUATED_ASCII 0x258 ~%tutu_var%wtarsgt~ #8
 COPY_EXISTING ~%tutu_scriptbg%skelwa.cre~ ~override/dw#semsk.cre~
-		READ_LONG 0x2bc ~%itemoffset%~
+		READ_LONG 0x2bc ~itemoffset~
		 WRITE_EVALUATED_ASCII (~%itemoffset%~) ~%tutu_var%staf01~ #8

ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS ~override/dw#comp1.xxx~ THEN BEGIN
@@ -6038,7 +6038,7 @@
		 WRITE_BYTE 0x5e ~40~
		 WRITE_BYTE 0x5f ~40~
		 WRITE_BYTE 0x63 ~0~
		 ADD_CRE_ITEM ~dw#sarr1~ #0 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~RRING~//items to simulate acolyte-shielding
		 ADD_CRE_ITEM ~dw#sarr2~ #0 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~BOOTS~
@@ -6056,8 +6056,8 @@
 // Tazok

COPY_EXISTING ~%tutu_var%TAZOK2.CRE~ ~override~
-	READ_LONG 0x2bc ~%itemoffset%~
-	READ_LONG 0x2b8 ~%itemslot%~
+	READ_LONG 0x2bc ~itemoffset~
+	READ_LONG 0x2b8 ~itemslot~
	 READ_LONG 0x2c0 numitems
	 SET plat02idx = 255
	 SET plat01idx = 255
@@ -6162,7 +6162,7 @@

COPY_EXISTING
		 ~%tutu_var%GALDOR.CRE~ ~override~
-				READ_LONG 0x2bc ~%itemoffset%~ 
+				READ_LONG 0x2bc ~itemoffset~ 
				 WRITE_BYTE 0x270 ~255~ // He starts hostile
				 WRITE_BYTE 0x59 ~0~	 // Remove magical fire resistance 
				 WRITE_BYTE 0x5e ~0~	 
@@ -6199,7 +6199,7 @@
		 READ_LONG ~0x10c~ ~select~

COPY ~scs/endbattle/dw#diarm.cre~ ~override~
		 SAY NAME1 @2010
		 SAY NAME2 @2010
		 WRITE_LONG 0xa4 ~%battlecry%~
@@ -6316,7 +6316,7 @@
		 ~%tutu_var%minsc2.cre~ ~override~
		 ~%tutu_var%minsc4.cre~ ~override~
		 ~%tutu_var%minsc6.cre~ ~override~
-				READ_LONG 0x2b8 ~%itemslot%~
+				READ_LONG 0x2b8 ~itemslot~
				 WRITE_SHORT (~%itemslot%~+0x24) 65535
				 WRITE_SHORT (~%itemslot%~+0x2a) 2

#130 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:18 AM

I was finally able to solve this case.
To reproduce this, I also needed to install the "Improved Durlag's Tower" component.
And to be more specific: I needed to install them in one go.
(It does not happen, when you first install durlag's tower, quit weidu and then install the improved final battle.)

We must have been blind or something because the error is right here:

READ_LONG 0x2bc ~%itemoffset%~
If, by any chance, itemoffset was already set in some previous action, this will not work as intended.
The WRITE will use the previous value. (And the READ will go into a variable like %[previous value]%.)
So the READ_LONG should rather look like this
READ_LONG 0x2bc ~itemoffset~
or this
READ_LONG 0x2bc itemoffset
Interestingly, this is not at all related to BGT.

There are more instances of this problem in setup-scs.tp2, here is the diff:
--- setup-scs.tp2
+++ setup-scs.tp2.fix
@@ -5936,7 +5936,7 @@
		 ADD_CRE_ITEM ~%tutu_var%bow01~ #0 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~WEAPON2~ EQUIP TWOHANDED
		 WRITE_EVALUATED_ASCII 0x258 ~%tutu_var%wtarsgt~ #8
COPY_EXISTING ~%tutu_scriptbg%skelwa.cre~ ~override/dw#semsk.cre~
		 WRITE_EVALUATED_ASCII (~%itemoffset%~) ~%tutu_var%staf01~ #8

ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS ~override/dw#comp1.xxx~ THEN BEGIN
@@ -6038,7 +6038,7 @@
		 WRITE_BYTE 0x5e ~40~
		 WRITE_BYTE 0x5f ~40~
		 WRITE_BYTE 0x63 ~0~
		 ADD_CRE_ITEM ~dw#sarr1~ #0 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~RRING~//items to simulate acolyte-shielding
		 ADD_CRE_ITEM ~dw#sarr2~ #0 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~BOOTS~
@@ -6056,8 +6056,8 @@
// Tazok

COPY_EXISTING ~%tutu_var%TAZOK2.CRE~ ~override~
-	READ_LONG 0x2bc ~%itemoffset%~
-	READ_LONG 0x2b8 ~%itemslot%~
+	READ_LONG 0x2bc ~itemoffset~
+	READ_LONG 0x2b8 ~itemslot~
	 READ_LONG 0x2c0 numitems
	 SET plat02idx = 255
	 SET plat01idx = 255
@@ -6162,7 +6162,7 @@

COPY_EXISTING
		 ~%tutu_var%GALDOR.CRE~ ~override~
-				READ_LONG 0x2bc ~%itemoffset%~ 
+				READ_LONG 0x2bc ~itemoffset~ 
				 WRITE_BYTE 0x270 ~255~ // He starts hostile
				 WRITE_BYTE 0x59 ~0~	 // Remove magical fire resistance 
				 WRITE_BYTE 0x5e ~0~	 
@@ -6199,7 +6199,7 @@
		 READ_LONG ~0x10c~ ~select~

COPY ~scs/endbattle/dw#diarm.cre~ ~override~
		 SAY NAME1 @2010
		 SAY NAME2 @2010
		 WRITE_LONG 0xa4 ~%battlecry%~
@@ -6316,7 +6316,7 @@
		 ~%tutu_var%minsc2.cre~ ~override~
		 ~%tutu_var%minsc4.cre~ ~override~
		 ~%tutu_var%minsc6.cre~ ~override~
-				READ_LONG 0x2b8 ~%itemslot%~
+				READ_LONG 0x2b8 ~itemslot~
				 WRITE_SHORT (~%itemslot%~+0x24) 65535
				 WRITE_SHORT (~%itemslot%~+0x2a) 2

So this is a multi-platform installation issue then? It wouldn't occur if you had a .tp2 designed specifically for BGT and a different one designed for Tutu?

It takes a village...

#131 Taimon

Taimon
  • 387 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:43 AM

It's a coding error/typo in the tp2 and, depending on what mods you install before, can happen on Tutu/BGT or anything else and it is easily fixed by removing the %s in the READs as shown in the diff.

#132 Celestial Paragon

Celestial Paragon
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:43 PM

can u post some kind of setup fix for this?

#133 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 05:12 AM

I don't think this is a problem anymore with the newer version of SCS, right?

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#134 Taimon

Taimon
  • 387 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:14 AM

Correct.

#135 alezaleg

alezaleg
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:19 AM

i kill sarvok and the end movie shows, then it cuts back to game screen and then it crashes.  i have bwp installed.  has anyone encountered this issue?