• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Michael

Michael

NullCascade

• 116 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:55 PM

By the end of this tutorial you should know how to:
  • Take BIF'd areas and extract them as .are, .tis, .bmp, etc. files.
  • Remove data from the areas to get them ready for your mod.
  • Link areas together.
Before you start the tutorial, you should have:I'm writing this tutorial because I couldn't find one that covered just what I wanted. Since I figured this out by playing with things on my own, I'd say that this is a very simple tutorial. But, I'm writing it so someone else can skip the work that I had to redo. Hope it helps someone!

Anywho, let's begin:

I. Getting Started
The first thing we want to do is find out what areas we'll be using. For this tutorial we will be using the De'Arnise Hold (AR1304 to AR1307). Load up IETME and we'll move on to...

II. Area Settings and Extraction
First thing we need to do is set IETME to the right mode. To do this, go to "File"->"Create new/Switch to Area editing"
Posted Image

Once we're in the right mode, we need to open the area. To do this, we go to "File"->"Open Original Area from Game".
Posted Image

Next, we'll click in the list of areas, and type in "AR1304". Be sure to uncheck 'show example' if it is checked, or you'll be presented with annoying messages. Select "Open" when "AR1304" is selected.

A message will say, "Starting extraction of area files" if the area is stored as a BIF. Click "OK" to that box, and the next.

You should be presented with your area in the main viewport. Yay!

Alright, before we set this up to extract, we need to make sure the map is looking for new files, rather than old files. So, we need to change some properties. Click on the "Area Properties" box.
Posted Image

There are two sections we want to check on. First, is the "General Information" area. If you want to change the weather of the area, you can do so in the four weather boxes. More importantly, we want to change the "Associated WED" and "Associated Script" fields. Since we are not using a script, we can set it to blank. The WED, however, should match the filename - in this case we're naming the area from "AR1304" to "ARMY01".
Another thing to mention, for outside areas, is the four exits in the "Other Area Refs". I believe this is mainly for BG1 maps, but it could be used for BG2 areas. In this case, we'll leave them all blank.
Posted Image

This should take care of everything we need to do in IETME. But, let's make sure all of our files are labeled right. To export this map, go to "File"->"Save Area". In this case, we'll save it to the desktop. Navigate to the desktop, make a new folder, and save the map as "army01.are".
IETME will update you of the progress. Just click "OK" through the dialogs until it is done. At any choices you need to make, just hit "Yes".

When IETME is done with the exports, let's check if you have all the files. Make sure you have the same files and file names as shown:
Posted Image

Everything look good? Yes? Good! No? Well... post what's up and maybe someone can help. Moving on...

III. Repeat
Now... when working with many areas it tends to be better to export them all at first, so we can get things going. So before we get working in DLTCEP, we should get all the areas exported. So, just load up AR1305, AR1306, and AR1307 and do just what you did to AR1304. Keep the naming up, so ARMY01/ARMY02/ARMY03... etc.

Done?

How about now?

Good. Moving on...

IV. Get DLTCEP Ready

If your files match mine, and everything ends up looking fine, then copy the files you just made into your override folder.
Close down IETME, and punch up DLTCEP. If you haven't setup the program, search for a tutorial on how to do so.

Before you get going, make sure you have set the settings to not open things in read-only.
Posted Image

Then, let's open up the areas we made.
Posted Image

V. Editing Out Your Area
Next few things are very simple:

Open up your area. If it doesn't show up, make sure you copied over your files, then restart DLTCEP.
Posted Image

So, what we want to do now is edit out anything we don't want. In areas you'll see traps and info regions. Select a relevant area (such as a modded region below) and select delete.
Posted ImagePosted Image

The same thing applies to actors, spawns, and containers if you want.
Posted Image

VI. Let's Keep Things Clean
Ok, so we now have an area that is clean of actors, spawns, notes, and maybe containers. But, we still need to change some things to make life easier on us. In this step, we'll be using the naming methods I use. You are, of course, free to come up with your own.

First, let's switch to the "Entrances" tab. This part is a bit annoying, but it helps a lot in the long run. What we want to do is make sure all of our entrances have proper names so that when we go and do our travel regions, we wont get lost.

To do this, we simply need to select an entrance from the list, and click "Set Entrance" to get an idea of where it is being used.
Posted ImagePosted Image
So, now that we know that "EXIT 1307a" means the "exit from AR1307 from north exit", let's rename it to avoid future confusion. In this case, I'm renaming it to "From ARMY04 North". Do the same method to the rest of the entrances, and you'll save yourself some headaches.
Posted Image
NOTE: To rename something in DLTCEP, you need to first remove the index number. You can't just erase "right" off of something - you need to erase "right" and "8. " as well or it wont update.

VII. Do It Again... Again.
The same things that you did in steps V and VI need to be redone for your other areas: ARMY02 to ARMY07.

VIII. The Doors.
Alright, so we've got it all working for us in terms of names, and all of the content for the areas is purged of old game references. All we have left to do, is link the areas together.

Because we've named our entrances, this should be easy. Select the "regions" tab again, go to your "travel" regions, and change the data.

So, from:
Posted Image
To:
Posted Image

All you need to do now is go through the areas you made, and link all the travel regions to the entrances you renamed. Simple!

Be sure to test your maps by using CLUAConsole:MoveToArea("ARMY01"); thoroughly!

IX. The End.
And, I believe that is all. I hope this was of some use to some one. Just a small tutorial with as many images as I thought would help. If you get lost, keep trying. If it was easy enough for me to learn, you can do it too. ;)

X. A Note.
I'd love to do more tutorials, if others have any requests. It would give me an opportunity to do more research into things, and play around so I can be able to write. Anywho. Let me know via PM if anyone wants anything.

Edited by Michael, 10 July 2009 - 04:43 PM.

This is the Internet, where men are men, women are men, and children are the FBI.

What is IEMI?

Please provide feedback on IEMI.

#2 fearless

fearless
  • 79 posts

Donator

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:44 AM

I'm writing this tutorial because I couldn't find one that covered just what I wanted. Since I figured this out by playing with things on my own, I'd say that this is a very simple tutorial. But, I'm writing it so someone else can skip the work that I had to redo. Hope it helps someone!

Thanks for this Michael, was looking for something on re-using an area, and this was exactly what i needed, so fair play to you for writing this tutorial.

fearless

CM690 II Case, Corsair HX1000 PSU, Asus Maximus V Gene, Intel i5-3750K @ 4.2Ghz, Corsair 8GB DDR3, Asus DirectCU GTX-670, Samsung 256GB SSD, WD Caviar Black 2TB HDD x2

https://github.com/mrfearless