Photo

Getting started with BGT

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 tremor

tremor
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:12 AM

I just bought BG, TotSC, SoA, and ToB as a four DVD set. (One per DVD) I was told about Trilogy and that it would allow me to play BG I using the engine from BGII and that it would provide a transition between the end of BG I and the start of BG II when I get there. I am having a lot of trouble installing Trilogy though.

I posted earlier on a BG and BGII forum and got some good advice but I am now stuck in the dos window trying to install BGT. I reinstalled BG and TotSC in a games directory on the C: drive. Same for BGII and ToB, each in their own folder of course. The dos screen looks like this (with a lot of identical lines removed):

'isle' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
------------------------------------------------
Extracting creatures from Baldur's Gate:TotSC...
------------------------------------------------
The syntax of the command is incorrect.
[_weidu] WeiDU version 20300
Unknown argument: [isle/baldur's]

WeiDU (version 20300: "Autoupdates on Mac!")

usage: WeiDU [options] BAF,BCS,D,DLG,TRA,TP,TP2-files

General Input Options:

--game X set main game directory to X
--nogame do not load any default game files
--search X look in X for input files (cumulative)
--tlkin X use X as DIALOG.TLK
--ftlkin X use X as DIALOGF.TLK
--tlkmerge X merge X into loaded DIALOG.TLK
--yes answer all TP2 questions with 'Yes'
--uninstall answer all TP2 questions with 'Uninstall'
--reinstall reinstall all installed TP2 components
--language X Set the language to X

Press Enter For More Options

The path I use is "c:\games\black isle\baldur's gate" with parenthesis. Is my syntax incorrect or is there something actually wrong? Help and advice is greatly appreciated.

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:22 AM

I am affraid your syntax might be a little off. Try to re-install the game(BG1+TotSC+patch5512) to "c:\games\baldur"... as the dos can't read the unordinary marks(^#¤%/*'¨^~) or too long lines... <_<

And also, you did custom install with all boxes/full install to the games+ patches? BGI:TotSC v5512, BGII:ToB v24698.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 11 April 2008 - 12:37 PM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 tremor

tremor
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:28 AM

Yes to the custom install with all checks. I'll reinstall again with the different path and give that a try.

#4 lxlmeatloaflxl

lxlmeatloaflxl
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:57 PM

can anybody tell me where to find the bgII install directory or how to install the BGT?

#5 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 12:25 AM

can anybody tell me where to find the bgII install directory or how to install the BGT?

This should nearly all be in the readme file, but here it goes again.
1). Custom install with all boxes cheaked, Baldur's Gate(I) and TotSC to a directory(something like) "C:\games\BG1"(without the ""'s), then install the patch 5512. Start a new game so you set the settings, and game autosaves.
2). Full install Baldur's Gate II:SoA and ToB to a directory(something like) "C:\games\BG2" (without the ""'s), then install the patch 24698. Start a new game so you set the settings, and game autosaves.
2.1). If you want, you may install the core fixes from the G3BGIIfixpack, it's the most resent and recomended for BGT-WeiDU installs.(the others may cause problems, in rare cases)
3). Go download and unpack the BGT-WeiDU(1.05b) and move it to the C:\games\BG2 directory.
4). Click on the setup-BGT.exe and choose to install it and when it askes the directory give it "C:\games\BG1" with or without the ""'s as you don't have spaces between.
5). Download, unpack(from the .rar, with winrar...), move and install the BGT1.05b patch to the C:\games\BG2
6). Start a new game.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 11 April 2008 - 12:20 PM.

#6 -Rymigusol-

-Rymigusol-

Posted 06 April 2008 - 05:56 AM

The path I use is "c:\games\black isle\baldur's gate" with parenthesis. Is my syntax incorrect or is there something actually wrong? Help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Same here when I tried to install BGT the first time...

If BGT asks for the path then type the Baldur's Gate 1 directory without any "". In your case it would be just:

c:\games\black isle\baldur's gate

#7 tremor

tremor
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:05 AM

The reinstall with the shortened path worked. My path is now "c:\games\bg" (with parenthesis). I don't know but I wondered if the special characters in the original path were part of the problem as well. Thank you to everyone for your help.

One more question though as I'm starting to play the game. I'm still in Candlekeep going through the initial familiarization there and the Tutors only grunt now instead of their original blurb about me being a child. Also, the chars are often unable to initiate conversation because they're busy. Is this normal?

The game is much nicer to play with the BGT installed. Faster and easier to control the fights. Great program!

#8 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:30 AM

Is this normal?

No, this seams to indicate that you didn't install the 5512 path to your BGTotSC(I), before you installed the BGT-WeiDU. So perhaps you need to make sure?

#9 tremor

tremor
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:41 AM

Ah, then here I go again. Thanks. I thought I got all the available patches but apparently I missed that one.

#10 tremor

tremor
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:50 AM

When I try to install the patch it gives me this:

You have Baldur's Gate ™ II - Throne of Bhall ™ installed.
You do not need to install this patch.

Installation cancelled.

Do I need to install this patch before I install ToB or do I need to not install ToB at all?

#11 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:00 AM

It's this that you need to install to the BGTotSC

BGI:TotSC

#12 tremor

tremor
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:19 AM

Wow, I'm not doing so well today...

After my last post I noticed that I was actually trying to install a different patch. I uninstalled BGT using its uninstall function and then I ran the patch. Now I'm installing BGT again.

#13 tremor

tremor
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:39 AM

That seems to have worked. The Tutors still grunt which is a little wierd/funny but everyone talks to me now. Thanks again for the help!

#14 tremor

tremor
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:26 AM

Alright, I'm finally able to look at my BG install again. As I was playing through the game, in addition to the Tutors in the opening grunting instead of actually talking I found that my team members' voices didn't match what they should have been. Imoen's voice was that of the guy with his mouse Boo (don't know his name yet). I was introduced to a fix pack for BGII that I hadn't previously installed and I'm going to do another install using that before I install BGT. Can someone tell me if I'm headed in the right direction to get these sound issues corrected?

#15 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:54 PM

If you have installed either Balderdash text update for TotSC or the Balderdash text update for TOB, you might get this error, so DO NOT. According to this.

And usually, one should never install anything else to the BG1 installation, but the patch v5512.

But if that's not the cause of the problem, I don't know...

#16 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:21 AM

Hmm, the syntax should work. What operating system are you using?

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#17 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:30 AM

Hmm, the syntax should work. What operating system are you using?

Actually it shouldn't, and the cause is the ' mark.

#18 tremor

tremor
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:54 AM

I got the BGT to install by changing my path to "c:\games\bg" and I haven't added anything to the installation beyond the 5512 patch, the BGII patch 26498, the BG2 Fix pack V6, and the BGT 1.05b patch. After installing with the fix pack, the problem persists. Imoen uses the voice of Minsc most of the time but not always and the other chars are all mixed up as well. I'm using Vista as my OS. Any ideas on how to correct the voices?

Edited by tremor, 12 April 2008 - 07:56 AM.

#19 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:56 AM

... I haven't added anything to the installation beyond ... the BGII with patch 26498

I have to ask, was the BGII:SoA + BGII:ToB a clean(fresh without any other files), so there ain't anything that might have corrupted the biff files before, such as uninstalling other mods etc.

But it might be also that there is a difference in your BG2 version and the usual version of the sound direction composures, thus the game reads the files on the wrong order, cause it's told to do so. For this could you conform us that:
1) You are using the 2DVD + 2CD version of BGI+BGI:TotSC+BGII:SoA+BGII:ToB ?
2) Which country version(+language) is that?
3) What language do you install the BGT-WeiDU(v1.05b+patch) as?
4) What's the size of your "NPCSound.bif" and "25NpcSo.bif" files in KB's? (at <game>/data -folder)

#20 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 02:50 PM

Actually it shouldn't, and the cause is the ' mark.

Actually it should, since that character is allowed. Perhaps Vista has slightly different rules, because it works fine on XP.

@tremor: Could you zip up your dialog.tlk and attach it here?

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)