Photo

BG1:ToSC problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 weimer

weimer
  • 1569 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 05:28 PM

Moons ago someone mentioned some --biff-get problem with BG1. Thanks to the generous support of viewers like you I now have a copy of BG1:ToSC installed on my hard drive.

If the people who were having that problem would be so kind as to give an example command that fails, I'll look into fixing it. Yes, you listed the command before ... but I've since forgotten. :-) Note that I don't want to install Dark Side, so please stick to standard ToSC.

#2 Smoketest

Smoketest
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 10:20 PM

I haven't gotten around to BIFFing ToSC (unmodded) yet, but I have been decompiling dialogs for bugfixing and noticed that WeiDU usually lists the first state's strref dword as the pausing/nonpausing flag. Apparently, BG1 dialogs don't use this flag, though the game will accept it if it's there, which I've found out by replacing the erroneous value with a 1 ('party, non-pausing' according to Near Infinity) and recompiling. Except for the flag, the rest of the dialog file decompiles properly.

Try it and see, if you want to. The dialogs I was last working on that WeiDU did this to were NOBL4.DLG and NOBW4.DLG (Thurston and 'Lovey' in the Candlekeep Inn).

#3 Idobek

Idobek

Pocket Plane Gibberling

• 429 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 03:47 AM

I have been using --biff-get extensively on BG:TotSC over the past couple of weeks. I've only noticed two issues both, in the end, minor and possibly related.

Issue 1:
When using --biff-get WeiDU searches the CD drive. This can lead to problems if you accidently have a BG2 CD in the drive (because BG1&2 use the same filenames, I suppose). I suggest two changes here:
1: When searching for files WeiDU doesn't search the CD if all files are registered as being on the hard drive (I'm using a full install and know for a fact I'm only asking for files that are in biffs in the data directory).
2: Implement a check on the CD so if the CD doesn't correspond to the game WeiDU fails.

Issue 2:
This seems to have cleared up now but when I first started to do mass extractions WeiDU would reports errors when extracting tis files. This did not occur on all tis files and seemed to be random. However, I did a test extraction of all tis files last night and didn't get a single error so perhaps it wasn't WeiDU at all.

Overall --biff-get works very well, I have successfully rebiffed all files in the override directory to their corresponding biffs using WeiDU (and NI to clean the keyfile).