Photo

Planetouched?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Sammi Somara

Sammi Somara

Loses her superpowers when exposed to chicken fat.

• 657 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:44 PM

I am *obsessed* with the Planetouched races. I already have heard of Aasimar, Tieflings, Genasi, Chaonds, and Zenythri. Are there any obscure ones out there I've not heard of? I just *gotta* know!
Err...Are paladins even allowed to say 'ass'?
-Cernd

I hate Elminster!
(Proud Member of the We Hate Elminster Club)

The Maesters of Yevon: Putting the Spira back into 'conspiracy'.

Four Ways To Describe Sigil: The Cage, The Center of the Multiverse, The City of Doors, Doughnut on a Stick.

#2 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:18 PM

Fey'ri? Fade NPC mentioned it: the heroine belonged to that race.

#3 Bluenose

Bluenose

The gnome-sage of Ral Worcester

• 1565 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:37 AM

There's a whole pile of planetouched races of various sorts. Mostly human/something from another plane, but also other race/something from another plane.

You've got Aasimar - human/celestial; Tiefling - human/fiend; Chaond - human/chaotic outsider (Slaads, mostly :blink: ); Zenthyria - human/lawful outsider?; Genasi - human/elemental. There's also various human/para-elemental versions, which I'll have to look up the names of. I remember at least one human/Plane of Shadow outsider type from somewhere, though it might have been a third party supplement.

Kulyok mentions Fade, who's a fey'ri - elf/fiend. There are also Celadrins - elf/eladrin, mostly worshippers of Hanali Celanil. The drow also have dealings with fiends which sometimes lead to half-fiend drow, which are called Dlaerdrogoths iirc.

Orc/fiend is also possible, and they are Tanarukks. Kaenyr Vok (sp?) is possibly the best known, who rules a kingdom of Tanarukks and other orcs in the Underdark and took part in the attack on Menzobarranzan while Lolth was away.

I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones I can remember right now.

Back from the brink.

Like RPGs? Like Star Wars? Think combining the two would be fun? Read Darths and Droids, and discover the line "Jar Jar, you're a genius".

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

#4 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

Living on Wings of Dreams

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:48 AM

There's a whole pile of planetouched races of various sorts. Mostly human/something from another plane, but also other race/something from another plane.

You've got Aasimar - human/celestial; Tiefling - human/fiend; Chaond - human/chaotic outsider (Slaads, mostly :blink: ); Zenthyria - human/lawful outsider?; Genasi - human/elemental. There's also various human/para-elemental versions, which I'll have to look up the names of. I remember at least one human/Plane of Shadow outsider type from somewhere, though it might have been a third party supplement.

Kulyok mentions Fade, who's a fey'ri - elf/fiend. There are also Celadrins - elf/eladrin, mostly worshippers of Hanali Celanil. The drow also have dealings with fiends which sometimes lead to half-fiend drow, which are called Dlaerdrogoths iirc.

Orc/fiend is also possible, and they are Tanarukks. Kaenyr Vok (sp?) is possibly the best known, who rules a kingdom of Tanarukks and other orcs in the Underdark and took part in the attack on Menzobarranzan while Lolth was away.

I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones I can remember right now.

Let me be a bit more extensive on this.
I am quite known for this and made a Wiki Article on it. I will add on it now that I see it is incomplete.
Kaanyr Vhok (War of the Spider Queen series) is however a Cambion, the combination of a male demon and human female, which falls under that the half-fiend category. He leads an army of Tanarukks, but is not one himself.

edit:
So I can't seem to edit the article at the moment

Under the specific Half-fiends ther is the Durzagon, which is a Duergar - Bearded Devil (Barbazu) offspring (MM2)

Zenythri = (already mentioned but bit more indept) Lawful Outsider parent; Justicator comes to mind which looks a bit like a Deva, but than more Human, or a Visilight perhaps (MM2)

Memphling = Human + Memphit. This is in practical sense the new Genasi, but they moved it to the Elemental Memphits as parents as these are more human like and do have sex unlike elementals, so kind of logical move (Planar Handbook)

Shadowswifts = Human with plane of Shadow influences and comes from Planar Handbook. Very lean Human with added speed, initiative and vision, daylight sensitive * (Planar Handbook)

Gloamings = Planetouched by Plane of Shadow, Underdark specific and not seen above ground. They are small and have furry wings, quick average flight, apt at shadow spells and resistant against it, resistant against psionics, can detect portals, daylight sensitive (Underdark)

Wildren = This is Dwarf + Celestial Badger. They are not entirely planetouched as they are more of the planes, but they are a race on their own with Celestial blood, so they apply (also Planar Handbook) *

Maeluth = Dwarves + Devil offspring. So this can be child again from a Durzagon, though the traits actually empathise normal Dwarves, but it is easily adjusted as it is given as general header (Fiend Folio). Basically a Tiefling idea for Dwarves.

Wispling = Halfling + Demons. Again basic Tiefling idea, different race. Think halfling sneaky bastard with change self ability. Talkative Montaron kind of personality. Play prank and tell jokes ranging from cruel to murderous.

Shyft = Human + race native to Ethereal Plane (Githyanki comes to mind), look very human and can shift to Ethereal plane once per day. (Fiend Folio)

Mechanatrix = Human + Clockwork being (Modrons or Inevitables (no don't ask how it is possible I don't want to think about it... darn...)). They are the most farfetched in my opinion and they have a mechanical body part somewhere, like upperarm, lowerleg etc. So in theory this is a sub-species of the Zenythri (Fiend Folio)

(* = so depends on in what world you play and which one your DM likes to what you think is the true version of one that is touched by the Plane of Shadow (personally I like the Gloamings, as Planar Handbook tends to make too much an effort to make all races +0 LA))

(Books mentioned are the sources where the race stands in)

Than their are planar races that are not planetouched but specific for the planes like Buommans and Bladelings.
You may also want to look into factions, if you want even more of a bit of planar flavor to a character on the Prioe. Especially the ones that got thrown out of Sigil make good candidates as some still exist and have members across the Planes.

Edited by Deathsangel, 10 April 2008 - 04:53 AM.

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.
However, as we all know, Evil never really sleeps.

Sentences marking (my) life:

Winds of change... Endure them, and in Enduring grow Stronger
It takes a fool to look for logic in a man's heart
Never question the sanity of the insane
The Harmony of Life is Chaos

(1st march 2009) SHS women over me:
Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly
Noctalys: you are adorable :P

~~ I love it, and I am humbled! Yay! ~~

#5 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:51 AM

If you need any extra info on one of them Sammi, just say it ;)

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.

Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly

#6 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:02 AM

There are also half-elemental, half-celestial, half-devil, etc. versions of virtually every race, but they don't represent entire races themselves-they're rare oddities.

For the really, really wierd among us, there are also pseudonatural and half-farspawn versions of normal beings-creatures from or tainted by the Far Realm, and they tend to be freaky as all get out-very heavy HP Lovecraft inspiration. Again, on the Prime Material Plane, pseudonatural and half-farspawn are, thankfully, rare and isolated creatures.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#7 Sammi Somara

Sammi Somara

• 657 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:51 PM

Wow--yeah, I had heard of but forgotten about Tanarukks, Fey'Ri, and Mephlings.
I had heard about Shadowswyfts but hadn't realized they were planetouched, but all the others--wow. Never even knew they were out there. Thanks guys, I need to look more into this.

I always liked pseudonatural creatures, so first things first, I'm going to look up more about these 'half-farspawn' things...
-Cernd

I hate Elminster!

Four Ways To Describe Sigil: The Cage, The Center of the Multiverse, The City of Doors, Doughnut on a Stick.

#8 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:01 PM

Half-farspawn, in DnD terms, is a template that can be applied to just about any creature to represent a creature badly twisted by the Far Realm-there is no "Half-Farspawn" race as such-you can have everything from half-farspawn bushes to elves to other horrors.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#9 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:54 AM

If you like them look up the 'Alienist' prestige class out of Complete Arcana (or the 3.0 Tome and Blood book). They deal with these creatures more info on the Far Realm can be found in the Manual of the Planes (it is 3.0 but there has been no revision to 3.5)

#10 Sammi Somara

Sammi Somara

• 657 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:23 PM

If you like them look up the 'Alienist' prestige class out of Complete Arcana (or the 3.0 Tome and Blood book). They deal with these creatures more info on the Far Realm can be found in the Manual of the Planes (it is 3.0 but there has been no revision to 3.5)

I know, I have the Manual of the Planes. Complete Arcana, however, I need to get.
-Cernd

I hate Elminster!

#11 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:33 PM

[Staffer was being a bad boy. No biscuit for him tonight]

Edited by Tempest, 15 April 2008 - 03:30 PM.

#12 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:19 AM

[edit]Old quote of bad boy staffie[/edit]

tisk tisk :P

Edited by Deathsangel, 16 April 2008 - 05:29 AM.

#13 Lord Ernie

Lord Ernie
  • Modder
  • 755 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:02 AM

Err... Tempest, thanks for the link, but... that isn't exactly legal. The only parts of D&D 3.5 that are openly available are the ones posted in the various SRD sites. I reckon this one is in violation of several dozens of copyrights. :ermm:

Edited by Lord Ernie, 15 April 2008 - 04:03 AM.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world - Oscar Wilde

Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. But set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

#14 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:16 AM

I'm not the one responsible for uploading that pdf onto the internet-found it online as it was, along with a heap of other 3.5E books.

#15 Lord Ernie

Lord Ernie
  • Modder
  • 755 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:27 AM

Not saying you were :). It was more or less a warning, also since I don't know SHS' policy on posting that sort of stuff. And you being a staff member and all, that could send the wrong message.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world - Oscar Wilde

Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. But set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

#16 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:05 PM

Spellhold Studios strongly urges our visitors not to post anything in violation of the Copyright- or Trademark-laws; as such activity is prohibited throughout the community.

If you could edit out the link Temp. I appreciate your desire to help but posting copyright on public boards like this could get SHS in a lot of trouble.

EDIT: And I suppose Deathsangel's quote too.

Edited by Kellen, 15 April 2008 - 03:17 PM.

"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan