Problem with Edwin

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Alatariel

Alatariel

Inquisitor!

• 479 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:10 AM

Hiya, I don't have time to go deep and wonder why the once solved problem torments me again, I just want to know the temporary solution. So, anyway, the thing that persists in going wrong is his nether scroll quest  - I never get him to translate it. I spend all of my free time yesterday playing and trying and nothing I could think of works. So, anyway, the conditions for the first dialogue concerning NS:

GlobalTimerExpired("EdwinScroll","GLOBAL")
Global("ScrollStudy","LOCALS",1)
!AreaType(DUNGEON)
CombatCounter(0)

I tried to CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("ScrollStudy","LOCALS",1) and it doesn't work. How do I set/force this particular banter to trigger with the console?

Oh, and before someone kindly suggests it: the game is patched. (and Edwin Romance is installed, but I think it is irrelevant here)
'NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency! Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surpr-... I'll come in again.

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!... Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms - Oh damn!'

#2 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:41 AM

All I can think of is, do you have Edwin highlighted and with the cursor pointing at him when you enter that CLUA? I think that's it's supposed to work with locals.

#3 Alatariel

Alatariel

Inquisitor!

• 479 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:25 AM

...._-_ I can't believe it... it worked... I am such a mooncalf (and admittedly never used locals before) . Thanks, Vilkacis! You are my personal hero now and I am going to worship you, and preach your name among the faithless, and wonder at your greatness, and buy you a jar of caramel&chocolate cookies ;>!

Hm, and now... perhaps I will be able to finish this run today, after all...
'NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency! Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surpr-... I'll come in again.

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!... Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms - Oh damn!'

#4 Discordia

Discordia
  • 324 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:49 AM

if i may hijack this thread (since the original problems been solved already it couldnt actually be called hijacking but it might not be worth opening a new thread for this)...i too have a problem with edwin

basically...when edwin turns into a woman he first of all doesnt and secondly kinda leaves the group...he gets a blue circle, wont talk to me or follow any commands but is still considered a party member so i cant leave the area...unless i kick him...but then i cant make him rejoin.

if i save and reload he is back under my command but still male and after issuing a command he will forget it, stand still and face the closest party member...as if he wanted to initiate a talk...which he doesnt...

anyway...would you need my weidu log (how do i get that anyway?) for that or maybe the local variables on edwin? i kinda thought it has something to do with being changed into drow during the darkest day quest in deep mir forest...and strangely enough...i never got changed back (though it wasnt difficult to identify that local variable and just remove it...i hope there is no long term damage done by this)

well...i m gonna leave this posted and experiment a bit on what happens if i just remove all his nether scroll variables pre-sex-change or reset them to 1 and the likes...

Edited by Discordia, 01 August 2008 - 09:49 AM.

#5 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:37 PM

Necroposting with a vengeance - this (above) is exactly the problem I have. Does anyone have a solution?

-Y-

#6 --maximus2001--

--maximus2001--

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:02 PM

Necroposting with a vengeance - this (above) is exactly the problem I have. Does anyone have a solution?

-Y-

A long time ago I had a similar problem. Solved it by using shadowkeeper to remove the female edwin effects. Open SK and open Edwins tab. Then remove the effect from his variables (not the global variables)- I think there were two. Check an old save with male Ed and new one with female Ed. I'd give you the exact effects but don't have it installed right now, because I'm waiting for your mod to be released. :D

#7 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:35 PM

I'm working on it - trust me, I'm working on it (says he, watching yet another test copy of ToB getting copied across)....

Thanks for the Edwin info - I'll give it a go.

-Y-

[Edit] I must be thick... I can't see what you may be referring to.

Edited by Yovaneth, 17 August 2009 - 02:07 PM.

#8 --maximus2001--

--maximus2001--

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:35 AM

That's good news Y. Regarding Edwin, using shadowkeeper should stop his stuttering. When you open SK save, you move the picture of the party member to Ed, then click on on the tab before global variables (I think its the effects tab). Find the effects that cause the problem by comparing a save before nether scroll and a save after getting scroll. See which effect has been added (there shouldn't be more than 10 to 20 effects total) and delete it (maybe one or two effects). He should be ok, because the sex change thing was causing the stutter in my game.

Also this worked for me when the main PC was stuck as a drow after the main quest in The Darkest Day - the Riatavin quest changed the whole party to drow avatars. When it was finished only the PC still looked like a drow. Again it was deleting the effects which worked.

Good luck!

#9 --maximus2001--

--maximus2001--

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:36 AM

I meant to say the effects are listed all as numbers. Example - ######0000123

#10 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:51 PM

Okay.... found the problem. STATE13 (or 14 or 15 - depends on your response to STATE12) in edwinj.dlg has the following script block:

SetGlobal("AfterChange","LOCALS",1)
SetGlobalTimer("EdwinComplain","GLOBAL",5)
MakeUnselectable(5000)
ForceSpell(Myself,EDWIN_CHANGE)
Wait(3)

has fired but the spell (EDWIN_CHANGE) either didn't fire or fizzled out partway through. Consequently, all subsequent parts of the dialog/script are stuttering because the conditions aren't being met to trigger the next block (STATE16 - "This is bad.").

The fix is to use SK to change Edwin's gender to female. This completes the parameters to trigger STATE16. Edwin's soundset changes and the party quits stuttering, leaving me to believe that it should now be all back on track. I won't know for sure until Degarden spawns in twelve game-days time.

[EDIT] Degarden spawned on time, so it looks like this is the full fix.

-Y-

Edited by Yovaneth, 05 September 2009 - 03:47 PM.