Photo

Wizard or Sorcerer?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Wiz or Sor? (50 member(s) have cast votes)

Wizard or Sorcerer?

1. Wizard (21 votes [42.00%])

Percentage of vote: 42.00%

2. Sorcerer (29 votes [58.00%])

Percentage of vote: 58.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Bluenose

Bluenose

The gnome-sage of Ral Worcester

• 1565 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 05:29 AM

I like sorcerers for their casting flexibility, the way that once they've learnt a spell then it's almost always available to them when they need it. They get more spells/day than a wizard, and don't have to predict what they're going to need the same way. There are only a few levels where the number of really useful spells is more than the number a sorcerer can learn, so they don't suffer there.

I prefer wizards for their greater range of abilities. A sorcerer loaded up with fire damage spells against Firkraag? That's going to go well :crying: A wizard can prepare specifically to face the types of enemies that will be around, and doesn't end up with only one or two useful spells. They can prepare the Mordy's Swords in a mind-flayer lair, halt undead for visits to Bodhi, etc. Their edge is most pronounced at low levels because the sorcerer really doesn't know a wide enough range of spells to be useful all the time.

And I'll also confess that I like to use characters that I'd be willing to play in a PnP game (or have played in a PnP game), and that means wizards over sorcerers every single time.

Back from the brink.

Like RPGs? Like Star Wars? Think combining the two would be fun? Read Darths and Droids, and discover the line "Jar Jar, you're a genius".

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

#22 khay

khay

Swords to Rust, Hearts to Dust

• Modder
  • 1719 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 05:34 AM

I`m not much of a spellcaster fan (I feel closer to the rogue side of life), but in general I find sorcers more enjoyable to play as than wizzids.

#23 Elamshin

Elamshin
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:10 AM

Only sorcerer: this class has a lot of spells and if you know a game this is the best magic class for player :) But Invocation Master is a very good class like a sorcerer.
Posted Image

Silence, I'll kill you! :)

#24 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 02:57 PM

Wizards...I know its cheesy but I prefer to have everyone benefit from the extra exp when you learn a spell hehe

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#25 princesspurpleblob

princesspurpleblob

Princess

• 329 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 03:53 PM

Sorcerer for me in BG2... they are so damn powerful by the time you get to ToB... but low level sorcerers are no no (in BG1 if you have Tutu installed).

#26 Nix

Nix

Oh Captain, my Captain!

• 319 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 05:20 PM

Definitely sorcerers. With wizzies I keep forgeting to learn spells before resting.

#27 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:05 PM

When not dualling or multiclassing, a Sorcerer is wonderful.

Actually, a Sorcerer feels like a candy-treat to me everytime I have one in my party. When I don't feel like fighting properly, I simply use my Sorcerer to pulverise the whole group of enemies with magic (and rest after that)

I usually will still have a half-wizard around. The Sorcerer throws off the Pierce Magic, the Half-Wizard will follow with a Breach, and... well... enemy is kibbled in short order.

kiyos.jpg____btlbn2.gif____kovaS.jpg
Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?
SoA Release - Overview / Download Links

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...
Spellhold Gauntlet - more than just a Spellhold-Be-Gone
Hidden Kits - hidden dual-classed kits with a twist for progression

#28 Scipio

Scipio

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

• 1790 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 12:59 AM

It's time for a Kit mod that breaks all the rules. I want a Sorcerer-Beserker.
I did battle with monsters, and they became me, and when I gazed into the abyss, the abyss looked away shyly.
See, it helps not to believe all the stuff that philosophers spout.

#29 Klorox

Klorox
  • 342 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:02 AM

Sorcerers. You never need more than 4 or 5 spells per level anyway. Why not have all the spells you need, and be able to cast them all the time?

Sorcerers just rock the casbah.
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

Oh, squiggly line in my eye fluid. I see you lurking there on the periphery of my vision. But when I try to look at you, you scurry away. Are you shy, squiggly line? Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye? Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven.
? Stewie Griffin

#30 Anaximander

Anaximander
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 07:20 AM

Another vote for sorcerer here. In games like BG2, I'd rather have the sorcerer's staying power than the wizard's versatility.

Generally speaking, I don't have much use for magic anyway. In nine out of ten battles, the only spell my wizard or sorcerer needs to cast is Haste. The fighters take it from there. Every now and then it's fun to send a spellcaster in and obliterate a large group of enemies, but it's rarely necessary.
You have defeated The Purpose!!!
Experience gained: 50000
Gold gained: 1000
You gain a level!!!