Photo

Wizard or Sorcerer?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Wiz or Sor? (50 member(s) have cast votes)

Wizard or Sorcerer?

1. Wizard (21 votes [42.00%])

Percentage of vote: 42.00%

2. Sorcerer (29 votes [58.00%])

Percentage of vote: 58.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 arguskos

arguskos
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 03:24 PM

Self explanatory really. Personally, I'm curious as to why everyone seems to prefer sorcerers over wizards for BG2. I've heard a lot of talk about playing sorcerers, and almost none about wizards. Am I the only person that loves wizards for being Batman??

Discuss! Analyze! Flame... wait... nvm. XD

-Argus
"Here's what 4-year old's know: a screen that ships without a mouse isn't worth paying attention to!" - Clay Shirky (http://blip.tv/file/855937)

#2 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 03:38 PM

I definitely vote for Sorcerer in BG2. They get more castings of their spells which can be fun when you don't want to rest constantly. At level 18 they get to choose a level 10 and a level 9 spell which they may cast three times between the two. Wizards get to cast one of the two once.

I think that says enough.

(Though one could mention the decidedly combative bent of most CRPGs for another swing for the sorcerer. No need for the several utility spells.)
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#3 Scipio

Scipio

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

• 1790 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 03:51 PM

WHY I LIKE WIZZIDS
by Little Scipio

Wizzids are much better than sorcers because they can be cleverer and stronger and do more things. My daddy has got a game that he calls work when mommy is around. It is a dungins and draggons game on a computer. He says a wizzid is better because of some reasons which I will put in number form.

1. In his game that mommy does not believe is the monthly accounts his wizzid can start as a sort of knight in armor with a big sord and a shild. A sorcer only carries a silly stick. When the knight wants to be a wizzid he can be and he can use his sord and shil but not use his armor but he can use a big bow and arrows. My daddy said a bow with 100 magic arrows is a shitload better than 10 magic missiles and mommy hit him with a dishcloth and made him say sorry for dirty words.

2. A sorcer can learn lots of the same magic tricks but he can't learn all of them the same as a wizzid and daddy says it's better to have a choice like when he prefers the choice of beer to milk. He says you never know when a wizzid might want to conjor up a steamy Drow but I don't know what that means.

3. It is easier to spell wizzid.

4. My daddy says it is better to vote for the wizzids at SHS Forim. He says it is the only place in the world where a vote ackshilly means anything.
I did battle with monsters, and they became me, and when I gazed into the abyss, the abyss looked away shyly.
See, it helps not to believe all the stuff that philosophers spout.

#4 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 04:04 PM

Sorcerers.

More spells per day, casting versatility, none of that 'I memorized the wrong spell for today' lameness.

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#5 Dark-Mage

Dark-Mage

Because killing is an art, and I am a master.

• 344 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 04:27 PM

Voted for wizard, mainly because the class is the underdog. Sorcerers get to cast more spells per blah blah blah *yawn* but personally, I would rather have the option to know every signle spell and be able to adept to any situation. If that means I get to cast a few less spells per a day, big deal.

#6 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 04:38 PM

Sorcerer. :)

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#7 Sir_Carnifex

Sir_Carnifex

Scourge of Kobolds

• 290 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 06:19 PM

I prefer wizards as I think they are more versatile. Don't forget all the experience gained from memorizing all those spells! I tend to temporarily pick up any wizard NPC (besides the permanent one) in the game just to memorize my extra spell scrolls for the extra XP. :D
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright

#8 Scipio

Scipio

• 1790 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:50 PM

I prefer wizards as I think they are more versatile. Don't forget all the experience gained from memorizing all those spells! I tend to temporarily pick up any wizard NPC (besides the permanent one) in the game just to memorize my extra spell scrolls for the extra XP. :D

If your full-time mage un-learns and re-learns spells you don't have to split some of the extra XP with a temp.

In ToB you can end up with so much gold, even without the console, that you can buy up every scroll on sale anywhere and learn or re-learn them all. I've taken four of my six party memberss up an extra level before the final battle just by letting my mage use scrolls for XP in this way. Doing it as per the game without cheats can take an extra few minutes but it's more satisfying than using TOO many cheats. Nyah, nyah, sorcerors!
I did battle with monsters, and they became me, and when I gazed into the abyss, the abyss looked away shyly.

#9 Tassadar88

Tassadar88

Templar in Flames

• 1302 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:20 PM

I play wizard. I dual class a lot...
The Mind is its own place and in itself - can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven. -John Milton, Paradise lost

#10 Sir_Carnifex

Sir_Carnifex

Scourge of Kobolds

• 290 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:46 PM

If your full-time mage un-learns and re-learns spells you don't have to split some of the extra XP with a temp.

In ToB you can end up with so much gold, even without the console, that you can buy up every scroll on sale anywhere and learn or re-learn them all. I've taken four of my six party memberss up an extra level before the final battle just by letting my mage use scrolls for XP in this way. Doing it as per the game without cheats can take an extra few minutes but it's more satisfying than using TOO many cheats. Nyah, nyah, sorcerors!

I guess you're just more devious than I am. Thanks for the tip, I'll have to try it out! :D
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright

#11 Galsic

Galsic

Nominal Member

• 384 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 12:27 AM

With my PC, if I ain't multiclassin' or (more often) dual-classin', I go with the sorcerer.

Dunno 'bout the lot of y'all, but I can't think of more than 4 or 5 spells per spell level that I find really useful in BG/BGII, anyway (not to mention I always have a second arcane spellcaster to cover for what the first might actually be lacking).
(I like parentheses.)

#12 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 12:48 AM

Sorcerer - like other people, I only have, like, 2 spells I find useful in each level bracket.

#13 Scipio

Scipio

• 1790 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 01:00 AM

My wizards all come from the rough side of town. They take boxing lessons for seven to nine levels, then go brawling. They have enough spells to call up some monsters, drop a wilting and breach an enemy wizard's defences, but when the real action starts they enjoy being back-up tanks. While the hostiles are trying to clobber my fighters they mostly seem to ignore the wizard rushing around with Daystar or the Flail of the Ages. If they do hit him, he's stoneskinned, so he can back off.

I don't remember offhand if there is one, but a mod that duals a fighter into a sorcerer would be great. I also don't bother with more than a couple of spells per level, for mage or cleric types.

#14 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

Living on Wings of Dreams

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 01:27 AM

I enjoy sorcerers more for their flexibility in what they can cast on a single day which I like in PnP, in BG2 indeed the choice of spells is not so great and the less spell knowledge doesn't hurt that much.
However, I shall note that in PnP the ability for more useful problem-solving spell knowledge of the wizard becomes more significant. It is rather hard to decide what is better than at that moment.
I voted here sorcerer as this is more BG2 related than PnP

P.s. I never use learn re-learn tactics... I am a roleplayer <_< Not a red-mage xp addict, which probably also gives way why I take so long over a BG2 run and don't have parties that hack through everything without breaking a sweat.

Edited by Deathsangel, 10 May 2008 - 01:29 AM.

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.
However, as we all know, Evil never really sleeps.

Sentences marking (my) life:

Winds of change... Endure them, and in Enduring grow Stronger
It takes a fool to look for logic in a man's heart
Never question the sanity of the insane
The Harmony of Life is Chaos

(1st march 2009) SHS women over me:
Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly
Noctalys: you are adorable :P

~~ I love it, and I am humbled! Yay! ~~

#15 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 02:14 AM

I enjoy sorcerers more for their flexibility in what they can cast on a single day

That's actually under eight hours... :lol:

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#16 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 02:16 AM

Mm well I prefer my PC to smack stuff with a big sword, but if I'm playing a spell slinger, then sorcerer, for the reason Kellen said.
Also, because I am lame and rely heavily on Mordenkainen's Swords to clear out mindflayer nests, and those scrolls are hard to find. With a sorcerer you can just choose the spell as soon as you're able to cast level 7s, so all is good. And you can cast a lot of them. :)

#17 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 02:18 AM

I enjoy sorcerers more for their flexibility in what they can cast on a single day

That's actually under eight hours... :lol:

Even less with Rary's Memoric Enhancer or even the rule that many forget you may leave slots open to fill them with 15 minutes of study. However, my dear Imp you are quite aware that this refers to the fact that what a wizard can do in an ad-hoc situation... it helps little to cast knock on the door of a water trap if that takes 15 minutes, seeing such traps tend to fill quicker

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.
However, as we all know, Evil never really sleeps.

Sentences marking (my) life:

Winds of change... Endure them, and in Enduring grow Stronger
It takes a fool to look for logic in a man's heart
Never question the sanity of the insane
The Harmony of Life is Chaos

(1st march 2009) SHS women over me:
Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly
Noctalys: you are adorable :P

~~ I love it, and I am humbled! Yay! ~~

#18 Lysan Lurraxol

Lysan Lurraxol
  • Modder
  • 899 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 02:39 AM

Wizard, they can learn more spells. That and I get to squee everytime I find a new spellscroll.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70?s and 80?s. Experience AD&D?s greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Classic Adventures Visit our homepage at Classic Adventures Homepage

#19 Scipio

Scipio

• 1790 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 03:31 AM

On the voting so far Bioware must be congratulating themselves for offering sorcerers as well as wizards.

#20 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 04:15 AM

I'm usually a sorceress, mainly because I only have a fez spells per level I actually use, so I find myself very happy with 15 magic missiles or 10 horrid wiltings, I don't need to have one of every spell available.

And I'm too lazy to tweak the wizard's spell book every time I need to... :lol:

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif