Bioware NPCs I won't play again

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 Amaurea

Amaurea

Thread Killer Extraordinaire

• 409 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 09:46 AM

Aerie can be really, really powerful, though. I've gotten used to her simply because she is so useful. Bear in mind, I've never played her romance. In her defense, just about everyone in the game is whiny to some extent.

For the evil characters, I would take Edwin over Korgan (in terms of personalities, they're obviously not going to fill the same slot in the party!), because there's an insecurity underlying all of Edwin's bluster that makes it bearable, and the Edwina stuff is indeed priceless. I do like Sarevok a lot, and have no trouble enjoying a game with him in the party. Viconia... I guess that unless you play her romance, you really don't see all there is to her. I'm just meh on her, but I can handle having her around if needs be. I'd rather have Anomen as a cleric, though. He's more powerful, and properly equipped he can tank.

#42 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 12:01 PM

Yes, I will give him that. And whilst I don't care for his romance, he's an excellent foil if you are romancing another NPC (a mod one, of course). I have him along currently while I'm romancing Eddie and they are having some great verbal sparring contests. :D

What does annoy me, though, is that all the Bioware romance are clerics (Viconia, Aerie, Anomen) or healers (Jaheira) so if they get vamped by Bodhi, that really does leave you in a tight spot when it comes to clearing out her nest. No fair!

Sarevok is my must have NPC I never complete ToB without him. I also take Imoen every runthrough now (though that wasn't always the case). She's grown on me rather, plus she's central to the story so I'd rather take her than not.
Aside from that, the rest are interchangeable.

#43 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 01:36 PM

When I first started playing this game way back I couldnt stand Imoen and booted her out as quick as I could in BG1 and BG2...But now that it has been awhile I have grown to like her quite a bit and cant complete a game without her!

And thank you everyone for the warm welcome!

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#44 Scipio

Scipio

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

• 1790 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 03:01 PM

When I first started playing this game way back I couldnt stand Imoen and booted her out as quick as I could in BG1 and BG2...But now that it has been awhile I have grown to like her quite a bit and cant complete a game without her!

If you don't have misgivings about getting involved with a girl who isn't your biological sister except through a divine link, you should try the excellent and sometimes quite challenging Imoen Romance -- download the main RAR file and the newest patch. It was by far the most complex and emotionally involving of all the romances. If you do try it, you may want to refer at times to these guidelines.
I did battle with monsters, and they became me, and when I gazed into the abyss, the abyss looked away shyly.
See, it helps not to believe all the stuff that philosophers spout.

#45 Paloesha

Paloesha
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 04:11 PM

I always picked Aerie when I was younger, as I always liked her and felt bad for her. Her romance was also really easy for me to do without needing help. Now I play her, and I can see why everyone complains about her. I don't blame people for hating on her so much, but I still like her.

Imoen just seems to be one of those characters that a lot of people like. Or at least she is one of those that can grow on you in time(at least that seems to be the general consensus). She's probably one of the only characters in BG that have a sunny outlook on life, so she easily stuck out in almost any group. It's interesting to see how she handles BG2. I just wished they would let Imoen smile in her portrait! Oh well...

#46 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:39 PM

If you don't have misgivings about getting involved with a girl who isn't your biological sister except through a divine link, you should try the excellent and sometimes quite challenging Imoen Romance -- download the main RAR file and the newest patch. It was by far the most complex and emotionally involving of all the romances. If you do try it, you may want to refer at times to these guidelines.

I will most certainly check it out then! Could prove to be interesting heh...

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#47 jcompton

jcompton
  • Modder
  • 492 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:02 PM

I'm currently trying his romance by Laufey and it's a terrific laugh so far. I'm sure it could convert the most anti-Eddie players.

Can you or someone else please explain why it is considered a virtue for an add-on to an existing character to "convert" opinion about that character?

#48 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:31 PM

I'm currently trying his romance by Laufey and it's a terrific laugh so far. I'm sure it could convert the most anti-Eddie players.

Can you or someone else please explain why it is considered a virtue for an add-on to an existing character to "convert" opinion about that character?

Perhaps it's simply because add-ons often explore different facets of a character that might make that character more palatable to those who disliked them at first glance. :) I must admit, I was always amused by Edwin's banter, but his refusal to get involved in the party emotionally in any way meant that I never took him along until the romance came out. And when the romance came out, well... I just have to say that the parts that attracted me most to the character really shone. :)

Through lightning, travel shadow,
Through hell and all above,
Surviving sword and arrow,
Bound stronger by the love

And in the end a witness,
To where the death has lain,
Silent through the sorrow,
Where innocents lie slain

#49 jcompton

jcompton
  • Modder
  • 492 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:43 PM

I see.

Personally, I've always taken a character's refusal to get involved in the party emotionally in any way as a good leading indicator that having them get emotionally involved would be a tremendous mistake.

#50 Sammi Somara

Sammi Somara

Loses her superpowers when exposed to chicken fat.

• 657 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:46 PM

Haer'Dalis, Jan, Mazzy, and Cernd are actually some of my favorite BG2 NPC's!

...Although I agree with you about Anomen. Or cshould I say, "Annoy-man"
Err...Are paladins even allowed to say 'ass'?
-Cernd

I hate Elminster!
(Proud Member of the We Hate Elminster Club)

The Maesters of Yevon: Putting the Spira back into 'conspiracy'.

Four Ways To Describe Sigil: The Cage, The Center of the Multiverse, The City of Doors, Doughnut on a Stick.

#51 Lythari

Lythari

Fabricati diem, Pvnk

• 366 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 11:32 PM

There are few bioware NPC's who really annoy me;

Edwin. He is an annoying and puffed up wizard. I just can't stand him and I never take him into my party. And talking about his romance: I've never tried it and I rather never would. Idea of falling in love with Eddie just scares me.

Korgan. Rude and bloodthirsty. I don't like people who are killing for fun.

I don't like Jaheira either. She could be OK, but there were some moments that I really hated her. For example when she forbid Viconia to look at the trees, because as "vile creature" as a drow enjoying sight of the forest is an "abomination to the nature", or other situations when she started to order other companions how they should think. Generally, she seems to be bossy and mean person.

Talking about other mentioned NPCs: Anomen is annoying, but somehow I can stand him, Cernd, Valygar and Mazzy are rather underdeveloped characters, I neither like nor dislike them, they're just another people who want to join my party. I'm quite fond of Aerie, she's nice. Haer'Dalis is a funny guy, the same Jan, and I really like Imoen.
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay)

My deviantArt account / my dragon lair