Photo

Bioware NPCs I won't play again

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Scipio

Scipio

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

• 1790 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 03:05 PM

Many years later, I have finally played SoA as far as I can endure it with the NPCs I've never had in my party for very long. I have reached Level 12 as a sorcerer and I am about to delete all of my saved games and start over. I have the following four characters in my party. If I have to travel any farther with them I shall systematically Ctrl-Y them or let them stand in the middle of a bunch of trolls:

Anomen -- the most annoying, opinionated character since I tried Edwin. If I want a cleric, Viconia is much more interesting. If I want a tank, I'll take a fighter.

Haer'Dalis -- just as annoying in his own way, he also thinks he's God's gift to God. If I want a thief, Yoshimo and Imoen are still the most enjoyable combination. If I want a bard... no, I don't think I'll need a bard again. As a fighter, he sucks.

Jan -- I don't think I could ever eat stew again if it contains turnips. His stories would be OK if they weren't so drawn-out and unfunny. Thief/mage? Imoen, any day.

Mazzy -- does anyone else find her to be a pushy little bag? And I don't need more archers. I need fighters who get into the thick of it and clobber the bad guys.

I had previously decided there were other characters I could well do without. They are:

Korgan -- a coarse, cruel pig.

Cernd -- what a wimp as a father and husband, and as a druid he is barely a faint echo of Jaheira. He may develop druid skills more quickly than her but she remains the most interesting of all the Bioware NPCs.

Edwin -- muttering his snide inanities under his breath... a twit.

Sarevok -- on principle I feel no urge to save him. I've played him once and should have kept Keldorn.

Valygar -- he's actually a nice chap and OK for what he is. But if I want a ranger and it has to be either Vally or Minsc... what do you think, Boo?

So that doesn't leave a huge range of Bioware characters to join me, does it? Thank goodness for all the fun mods who can come along for the slaughter.

** I have also been playing as a sorcerer for the first time. I hereby revise my recently expressed opinion that mages are vastly superior. I think I must have a sorcerer in my next party, but not as the PC. I much prefer being a Berserker.

Since there isn't a Bioware sorcerer it appears to be a choice of two mods I haven't played, Kelsey or Tashia. Kelsey may be interesting if I want Imoen to have some fun, but Tashia is romanceable by a male PC. Does anyone have any strong thoughts about these two APART from the romance component?

** So my party is likely to be pretty much the same old, same old except for the inclusion of a sorcerer. That means, most probably:
-- PC: Human male beserker with war hammer and Shield of Balduran.
-- Plus Yoshimo/Imoen, because the game isn't BG2 without Immy; Aerie, my sweetie-pie bit of fluff; Jaheira, the complex and enchanting real woman; Keldorn, someone my age who remembers the Yardbirds and Frank Zappa; and Tashia/Kelsey. That gives me my reliable mix of fighters, mages and healers/summoners.
I did battle with monsters, and they became me, and when I gazed into the abyss, the abyss looked away shyly.
See, it helps not to believe all the stuff that philosophers spout.

#2 Jazhara7

Jazhara7
  • 715 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 03:50 PM

Actually, I always found Edwin fun with his inane mutterings. Jan, on the other hand, I always get tempted to skip reading his comments, because they're just so long and no-funny. And that's saying something, since usually I don't mind all that long texts at all (when talking about "The Longest Journey", I am *not* one of the persons who lists "long dialogues" under "Cons"), but the un-funny part gets me.

Combining Minsc and Valygar at the same time in the group can actually be fun, as it creates some very funny dialogues as I recall. A ranger can double as a fighter pretty well, so that shouldn't be that much of a problem. Same goes for Minsc and Edwin. Awww, who am I kidding. Nearly every NPC combined with Minsc (and Boo!) creates some hilarious dialogues. I think it's a good indicator of how much fun an NPC is to play, if you look at how they react to Minsc and Boo. ^_^

Oh, and I found Kelsey is extremely annoying, even if you don't romance him. :wacko:

- :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey, are you hungry?

I Hate Elminster!
(proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#3 Sammi Somara

Sammi Somara

Loses her superpowers when exposed to chicken fat.

• 657 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 04:00 PM

I always liked Haer'Dalis, and believe it or not, I actually grew somewhat fond of Cernd.

Jaheira, on the other hand, actually annoyed me. But only in BG2. She was just so bitchy in BGII. I had to kick her out, I couldn't stand it anymore. Strange, considering that in BGI she was one of my favorites...
Err...Are paladins even allowed to say 'ass'?
-Cernd

I hate Elminster!
(Proud Member of the We Hate Elminster Club)

The Maesters of Yevon: Putting the Spira back into 'conspiracy'.

Four Ways To Describe Sigil: The Cage, The Center of the Multiverse, The City of Doors, Doughnut on a Stick.

#4 princesspurpleblob

princesspurpleblob

Princess

• 329 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 04:08 PM

I actually loooove Anomen to bits... I think he's the best cleric in the game. Jan sure talks a lot but I find him quite amusing to have around most of the time. Not my favourite party member, but ok enough. Same goes with Haer'dalis and Sarevok. They aren't great but bad either. As for Sarevok, I heard changing him from evil to good is quite touching. Unfortunately, I've never achieved that for some reason :(

#5 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 04:21 PM

As for Sarevok, I heard changing him from evil to good is quite touching. Unfortunately, I've never achieved that for some reason :(

That dialogue only triggers randomly in the vanilla game (so you might not get it all).

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#6 Sir_Carnifex

Sir_Carnifex

Scourge of Kobolds

• 290 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 04:30 PM

Annoying NPCs...

That's one reason I began my mod. He will make jests about (read: get under the skin of) every NPC out there if he can. It's my attempt at making some of my least favorite NPCs more enjoyable for me. Hopefully, it'll do the same for everyone else. :)

Scipio:

Other than Valygar, I'd have to say you have about the same dislikes of NPCs that I do. ^_^
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright

#7 Galsic

Galsic

Nominal Member

• 384 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 04:35 PM

** I have also been playing as a sorcerer for the first time. I hereby revise my recently expressed opinion that mages are vastly superior.

Indeed. What were you thinkin' :) ?

But yeah, you certainly knocked out over half the Biowares, and some for reasons for why I actually like them, namely Edwin, Korgan, Anomen, and Jan. Let me add, though, that while I'm not a big fan of Anomen's character, either, I actually value him pretty highly for being useful as both a fighter and a cleric, and I think he does so fairly well, which is why I've probably used him in at least half my play-throughs. On the other hand, gameplay-wise, I gotta completely agree with you on Mazzy. She has never found a place in any party I have taken through the whole game.
(I like parentheses.)

#8 Abigail

Abigail
  • 172 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 04:42 PM

Jaheira, on the other hand, actually annoyed me. But only in BG2. She was just so bitchy in BGII. I had to kick her out, I couldn't stand it anymore. Strange, considering that in BGI she was one of my favorites...

It was the other way around with me. I can't stand her in BG1 and like her in BGII.

I could never put up with Mazzy for long. She represents everything I hate in a lawful good type. She does have some good dialogues added with mods, but it's still not enough to encourage me to take her to Spellhold with me. Keldorn, on the other hand, I like very much, even though I usually end up reuniting him with his family. Apparently a young, wanna-be paladin is worse than the older and experienced one.

Cernd, putting aside his family affair, is actually quite a nice guy. Just boring. I hear there are plans to write a proper friendship path for him and developing his personality, I'm looking forward to it.

Haer'Dalis isn't one of my favorites but he is interesting, especially with banter packs. The only thing that bugs me is that I always have to apologize to him if I want him back in my party after kicking him out for a while. I suppose it's something connected with Aerie romance, but my PC is female and Aerie isn't even in my party <_< .

Anomen is annoying, but gets a little bit better when his alignment changes to chaotic neutral. I liked his dialogues with Keto, especially, but they're not Bioware... I take him with me sometimes to see a romance conflict with NPC mod, then kick him out.

Edwin - let's just say I LOVE Edwin :D And the romance mod was great.

Sarevok is one of my favorites and I almost always take him with me. The whole redeeming thing could be done better, though, with more depth. Oh well, waiting for a mod here as well.

As for Jan... I don't know, I think I'm neutral. Sometimes I take him with me, but only for a while. I don't like Aerie's personality and yet I quite often end up taking her with me, to the end. Maybe it's because I like reading her banters with those who don't like her (like Viconia), maybe it's because I'm used to her.
my deviantart account ---> http://prozakc-blues.deviantart.com

#9 Abigail

Abigail
  • 172 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 04:45 PM

As for Sarevok, I heard changing him from evil to good is quite touching. Unfortunately, I've never achieved that for some reason :(

That dialogue only triggers randomly in the vanilla game (so you might not get it all).

First of all, you musn't ask him to make a vow to you in Hell. And then, if the dialogue doesn't show up - Ctrl+I is your friend ;)
my deviantart account ---> http://prozakc-blues.deviantart.com

#10 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 05:26 PM

I never found a use for HD myself, and Cernd's breathy avoidance of anything resembling personal accountability is a huge turn-off. Edwin... you know, lots of people like Edwin, but I just don't get it. His snarky self-superiority is a quick trip to my list of NPCs that I never recruit unless absolutely necessary.

That might be something to keep in mind, Sir Carnifex. Not everybody likes an NPC that always gets the last word.

As for Anomen, I find his various flaws endearing. He knows he isn't perfect, but he seems desperate to make sure nobody else can spot the chinks in the armor of bravado in which he has hidden himself. Never made him CN, though, so I don't know what he's like, there.

I also love Jan, mostly because he reminds me of my uncle, but also because I am amused by his jokes. I can click through the longer ones without missing the punchline.

Mazzy is possibly my favorite female in the game, after Imoen. No, let me correct that. She and Imoen are the only females in the game that I'd consider worth recruiting. I like Mazzy's style. She's LG, but she doesn't preach. She's determined, but I don't think she's pushy. Certainly far less pushy than Jaheira, who I can't abide at all.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#11 Sir_Carnifex

Sir_Carnifex

Scourge of Kobolds

• 290 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 05:53 PM

That might be something to keep in mind, Sir Carnifex. Not everybody likes an NPC that always gets the last word.

Halbo loses his share of battles. In fact, I some of the banters I enjoy writing the most are the ones in which he comes out on the losing side. :D

My humble opinion on some NPCs:

Haer'Dalis - He annoys me. Don't ask me why because it's been so long that I can't rememember. My guess is it's the bird thing.

Mazzy - When I first got the game, I took one look at her portrait and had nightmares for years. It took ages to summon up the nerve to let her in the party for any amount of time. I can't say I was impressed.

Anomen - Yet another annoying character but I can tolerate his presence as a packhorse, damage-taker, and healer.

Jan - He was funny the first time. Now he isn't. :blink:

Edited by Sir_Carnifex, 17 May 2008 - 05:59 PM.

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright

#12 Amaurea

Amaurea

Thread Killer Extraordinaire

• 409 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:28 PM

The NPC's I like the most and those who annoy me the most are mods!

For the Bioware gang who others find annoying:

Love Anomen. berelinde said everything about him I would say in a much better way than I would say it. Plus, he's a damned good cleric and with the right equipment, a heck of a tank.

HD doesn't bother me, and with some buffing can be really useful. But, he usually doesn't make it in my parties for the long haul.

I rather like Mazzy, but like HD, she usually doesn't stay for the long haul. I just can't seem to find room to keep her around in my games.

Edwin annoys me, but I do love some of the banters while he's Edwina. Anomen's is my hands-down favorite.

Since I've never played the Aerie romance, I get the feeling I've never heard the full extent of her whining. Once she gets up there in levels, if you give her the Robe of Vecna and Staff of the Magi, she's a powerhouse. Plus, I like her as a back up to my spellcaster (usually Imoen at this point) and my cleric (either Anomen or myself, usually).

I take Cernd along to the druid grove, then bring him to Athkatla, get his son, and never look back. That way, I can blissfully ignore the fact that he'd be willing to leave a toddler who recently lost his mother alone with perfect strangers.

I love Keldorn to bits, but feel too guilty to keep him after he reconciles with Maria.

Jan doesn't bother me. His stories are annoying, but he reminds me of my late father-in-law. His stories were annoying too. And now I miss them.

Jaheira, Nalia, and Korgan have to be my least favorite of the bunch. I grab Korgan, do the book quest, then set him loose as quickly as possible. Jaheira gets dumped the minute I hit the promenade. And, as much as I can't stand Nalia, I usually accept her into the party, then immediately remove her.

Edited by Amaurea, 17 May 2008 - 07:28 PM.

#13 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:32 PM

I take Cernd along to the druid grove, then bring him to Athkatla, get his son, and never look back. That way, I can blissfully ignore the fact that he'd be willing to leave a toddler who recently lost his mother alone with perfect strangers.

In his defense, I do believe his child was still pre-toddler. He did not believe that the few months he would yet remain with Charname would be that much difference, especially from a child who didn't even recognize him as "dadda". And better, I think, to make sure that there was a world for the boy to grow up in.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#14 arguskos

arguskos
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 10:16 PM

Hmm.. NPC's I can't stand:

Nalia: Sorry, but I can't abide by someone who is a noble but pretends they're not. She gets dumped before I let her in the party, THAT'S how much I dislike her. >_>

Jaheria: Jaheria... I don't usually save from the dungeon actually. I really dislike her whining and moaning. She IS a deep, interesting character, but she also is a whiny, snappy, hard-to-get-along-with individual, so I really just can't find space in my heart to like her.

Mazzy: The hair. No, really, I'm not kidding here, her hair scares me. It's all big and poofy and freaky and I can't handle it. Oh, and she always seemed unneeded in any party that's picked her up, so I usually leave her be.

Imoen: Ok, this is the one I foresee people not agreeing with in a violent or pseudo-violent manner. To aforementioned people, I'm sorry, but I just don't like cheery people like Imoen. I've tried to take her through the game, but I just can't do it. She just... bothers me, I don't know why. I think it's the overwhelming amount of charm and happy (to which I am allergic). I've always wanted to kill her off within a few hours, and tend to do so (more like let her die on the front line and then remove her from the party forever.

Jan: You know, I don't want to know anything about turnips to begin with... and then I find out more than I ever wanted to know from Jan. I love him (reminds me of Oswald Fiddlebender, who rawks), but I just can't take too many stories of turnips before my ears begin to bleed liquid hate for turnips.

As for the question about Kelsey/Tashia, I dislike them both. Kelsey is great for a few games, but then his stories about his past get on my nerves a little. Tashia... really turned me off (see spoiler for why).
Spoiler

"Here's what 4-year old's know: a screen that ships without a mouse isn't worth paying attention to!" - Clay Shirky (http://blip.tv/file/855937)

#15 Nix

Nix

Oh Captain, my Captain!

• 319 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 10:19 PM

Heh heh, to each his own, but most of the ones you like I honestly cannot stand, and many of the ones you listed as annoying I actually quite like.

I agree with you on Anomen but I often end up taking him because he's useful, and for so long the girl's only choice (talk about inspiration for a vow of celibacy, heh). I cannot see more to Aerie beyond whiner, whinger, moaner, and complainer. Jaheira - husband's not been dead two days and she sets her sights on a younger man, then tries to nag him to death (does anyone find nagging attractive?) But even my female Charname couldn't stand her for long.

I don't care much at all for Imoen either - mostly she irritates me. The first time I ever played I had this party of whiners: Anomen, Jaheira, Aerie, and Imoen, plus Minsc. One day Charname snapped, turned Slayer, and committed quintuple homicide. It was... satisfying.

I love Sarevok - for me probably the best character in the game. Valygar was shortchanged by Bioware in the character development department, but what was there I did like - stoic, independent nature with this huge irrationality. He would have been my first choice as a romance had Bioware decided to be more generous towards female PCs. I didn't know what to make of HD at first, but he grew on me. He'd be my second choice for a romance. Edwin, I enjoy his snide remarks and snarky mutterings. His arrogance doesn't bother me because he's entertaining rather than sanctimonious. Korgan can be crude, but funny, and an awesome fighter. I appreciate his carefree outlook and his accent is tops ;)

Personally I found Kelsey rather annoying and mostly boring. Which means, going by our respective preferences, that you're almost guaranteed to love him :D

I do think you and I could agree on Nathaniel though. You seem to favour the upright, good, straight-and-narrow type group, so Nathaniel would fit like a glove. Plus, you have Aerie and Jaheira in your party and your character is male, so watching him bicker and vie with them for your attentions should be a laugh.

Edited by Nix, 17 May 2008 - 10:25 PM.

#16 Nuuskamuikkunen

Nuuskamuikkunen
  • 207 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 12:42 AM

Imoen...she just annoys me. Partially her fault, partially not...she's unserious to the point of frustration where you just want to break her nose to get her to think straight, and in BG2 she's all broody and nuts. Then it just pisses me off that the gamemakers forced her on you so badly; oh she was your friend all your life, you can't just dump her now! *Tell Imoen to get lost* "no i'm staying whatever you say" GAH! HUGE PLOT INVOLVING IMOEN, BG2. Geez! They messed up. Maybe you don't like Imoen and don't want her, like me, but then she keeps being forced down your throat the whole goddamn time, even in your dreams. I'm halftempted to make a mod that just removes Imoen from the game entirely :P

Anomen. Awesome in terms of character, a fighter/cleric dual with a good level when he joins you, makes him rather powerful. But he's also a twat. From the moment I meet him, I would like nothing more than to shove his family shield up his arse.

Cernd. Not much against his personality, but he's a pretty crappy druid. And I hate shapeshifters.

Jaheira. I decided to take her through BG2 for the first time (and I've had the game for 3 years) and we're at the underdark and she is really starting to annoy me. It galls me how the romance seems to have progressed just by me not telling her to STFU. That's not being romantic, it's called being considerate. And for some reason Viconia's lovetalks never activated, not that I wanted to romance her either, but I'll bet it's Jaheiras fault. I must have had 20 conversations with Jaheira when she says she loves me then says "oh....um, lets just keep moving". It's a bloody traincrash and if I didn't like druids so much, she would be out of my party so fast. Never again.

Aerie. Oh my wings, my wings, they're gone, life sucks, whingewhingewhingewhinge. Holy shit, we all whine sometimes but you really need to sort that out, girl.

Aaaaand Minsc. Stupid and unfunny. I don't find it cute either.

Edited by Nuuskamuikkunen, 18 May 2008 - 01:54 AM.

#17 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 01:45 AM

There's no-one I'll never take, just NPCs I take less often.

Keldorn - I don't like paladins as a rule, but he needs to be with his family, anyway. I don't want to tear a family apart, no thank you. Even my evil Bhaalspawn wouldn't do that (though more likely is they wouldn't travel with a paladin, anyway...)

Korgan - Just ... there are other fighters, he has that recurring dialogue, and he's just so damn rude. Don't get me wrong, I like rudeness, but having to translate what he's saying from crazyKorganspeech to English is just too much effort. He does occasionally come along, though.

Cernd - rarely take him all the way, but I do still like him. He needs a bit of a personality spruce, and maybe a better kit, and then I'd take him far more often.

(To a point) Haer'Dalis - he speaks stupidly, and he isn't that useful. Again, he comes along now and then, though. (What annoys me is that his quest, and along with it he, are forced on you if you want the bard stronghold - why would I want two? Isn't one useless enough? (I love bards, but they really don't *do* much)).

Minsc - sorry, but ... he's a little tiresome. I don't see the Forest Gump-esque everyone tells me about - he's not endearing enough. It might be because he is never put through enough bad situations for me to see that sweet, determined side. I just see an idiot with a hamster. Sure, when I firsted playing the game at, what, 7 years old, that was a cute idea. Now I just get annoyed.

That's about it. As I said, all the characters have come along with me at leat 3 times through the game. Yes, I have played the game that much. Don't mock me.

And three Imoen-haters in a row? Oh, woe is me!

#18 Nuuskamuikkunen

Nuuskamuikkunen
  • 207 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 01:53 AM

Missed Minsc from my list. Thanks.

#19 Scipio

Scipio

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

• 1790 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 03:38 AM

You seem to favour the upright, good, straight-and-narrow type group, so Nathaniel would fit like a glove. Plus, you have Aerie and Jaheira in your party and your character is male, so watching him bicker and vie with them for your attentions should be a laugh.

Hmm... well done. You've sussed me out better than I did!

Maybe I want my party to include girls I'd like my son to marry. Jaheira overcomes any number of self-doubts and makes personal sacrifices in order to be loyal to you, and she turns into a fantastic partner. Much-maligned Aerie matures and grows very brave and emotionally strong if you give her the chance.

As for the boys... well, my daughter didn't marry a guy who is the least bit like Minsc, but if she had, nobody would dare be rude to her. Keldorn would keep a guardian's eye on her while I was playing BG2.

The great variety of preferences expressed in this thread shows how well Bioware catered for its entire market. BG2 was the first game I've played where the players spend much more time discussing the characters than than the gameplay.

** As for Jaheira falling for me two days after her husband dies... well, what sensible girl wouldn't? :whistling:
I did battle with monsters, and they became me, and when I gazed into the abyss, the abyss looked away shyly.
See, it helps not to believe all the stuff that philosophers spout.

#20 Lysan Lurraxol

Lysan Lurraxol
  • Modder
  • 899 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 04:00 AM

I agree with you on most of those NPCs, the exceptions being Sarevok, who I found kinda cool (OK, I like BG TuTU/BG1 NPC more than BG2)
Edwin was a riot, loved him to ickle pieces. (I have a friend just like Edwin :blink: )
and Mazzy, voiced by the wonderful Jen Hale. nice to have a fellow Brit in the game :P

I love Jaheira, one of, if not the most interesting and developed female in an RPG (with the possible exception of Kreia), though I prefer her guardian role in BG and her dynamic with Khalid.

I find Cernd unbelievably dull.

Can't stand Aerie, whiny and self pitying, particularly considering the tragedies the other NPCs have to deal with. That and I resent the fact Dynaheir got bumped off to make room for her. Poor replacement IMO.

Minsc is occasionally amusing. Too OTT though. Hate Jan with a fiery passion. Stupid, unfunny, and no purpose other than half witted comic relief.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70?s and 80?s. Experience AD&D?s greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Classic Adventures Visit our homepage at Classic Adventures Homepage